KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » ANH/Rebels era Vader runs a sabers gauntlet

ANH/Rebels era Vader runs a sabers gauntlet
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Yeah and your hate towards him isn't biased at all, judging by your sig especially.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 07:38 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Petrus
Yeah and your hate towards him isn't biased at all, judging by your sig especially.
idk what you're talking about. Vader is vulnerable to lightning and I have Tyranus beating him 7/10 times.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 07:39 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Exactly my point. U a Tyranus fanboi

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 07:39 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Petrus
Exactly my point. U a Tyranus fanboi
I don't hate on Vader though. He's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite SW character after Dooku. I'm just not blinded by social attitudes towards him and feelings of OT nostalgia.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 07:41 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

You're right, you're blinded by wrinkled balls instead.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 07:42 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Maul or Kenobi.

Saying ANH Vader beats ROTS Kenobi is outright laughable though.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 08:33 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Kurk
the wanking of Vader on these forums is beyond unhealthy

It's not the forum though. It's the new Disney run Lucasfilm wanking him out.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 08:37 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

dry those tears

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 09:10 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling
dry those tears
will you lick them off my face for me Beni?

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 09:35 PM
cs_zoltan

(please log in to view the image)

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 09:41 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Vader not fighting any Force users between RotS and ANH has been retconned, but that doesn't mean him being a pale shadow of himself has been as well. After all, he's still relatively equal with Ben Kenobi, who we know to be a pale shadow of his RotS self. And if ANH Vader's << RotS Kenobi, then I think we can deduce that he's still a pale shadow of Anakin as far as dueling goes.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 11:08 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Since we've already done this song and dance about a hundred times.

>Misinterpretation of quotes regarding Vader > Anakin.
>Shadow of former selves quote not applying to their overall combative capabilities.
>There being no evidence that Ben was Vader's equal.

Blah blah blah.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 12:50 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

I'm only talking about dueling, you ****ing donkey. I said that in my post. The only misinterpretation here is yours, and its the product of that conglomerate mass of biased ideas you get in your head whenever Anakin comes up. I could post you the evidence for Anakin > Vader in dueling and you wouldn't accept it. smile

Vader never once shows skill superiority over Ben. According to the Death Star rendition, he tires Obi-Wan out, but that's it. Other renditions have it being a stalemate. That dueling pack quote that Ant posted says that Vader only became the greatest duelist in the galaxy once Kenobi died. Fightsaber states that Vader can't break through Obi-Wan's defense until Obi-Wan yields. And so on. They're close enough that Ben is nowhere near a pale shadow of Vader. I'm willing to accept some leeway on the equality thing, but they're obviously very close. Enough so that my point stands - and I did say "relatively equal".

Certainly Vader still isn't anywhere close to RotS Obi-Wan as of ANH or else he'd beat Ben decisively. By his prime? Probably about equal in dueling.

Last edited by SunRazer on Jan 17th, 2017 at 01:02 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 12:53 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I doubt Vader ever got to Kenobi's level.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 01:00 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

It's a possibility, at least.

As for Legends ANH Vader beating RotS Obi-Wan in dueling? No chance. Canon, possibly/probably.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 01:02 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
>There being no evidence that Ben was Vader's equal.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 01:11 AM
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by SunRazer
I'm only talking about dueling, you ****ing donkey. I said that in my post. The only misinterpretation here is yours, and its the product of that conglomerate mass of biased ideas you get in your head whenever Anakin comes up. I could post you the evidence for Anakin > Vader in dueling and you wouldn't accept it. smile

Vader never once shows skill superiority over Ben. According to the Death Star rendition, he tires Obi-Wan out, but that's it. Other renditions have it being a stalemate. That dueling pack quote that Ant posted says that Vader only became the greatest duelist in the galaxy once Kenobi died. Fightsaber states that Vader can't break through Obi-Wan's defense until Obi-Wan yields. And so on. They're close enough that Ben is nowhere near a pale shadow of Vader. I'm willing to accept some leeway on the equality thing, but they're obviously very close. Enough so that my point stands - and I did say "relatively equal".

Certainly Vader still isn't anywhere close to RotS Obi-Wan as of ANH or else he'd beat Ben decisively. By his prime? Probably about equal in dueling.

Making up for 10 years of pompous superiority by swearing in every other post I see. smile

I never suggested he did. However we can understand such a statement to be true simply because Vader's far more experienced then he was as Anakin, retaining all the knowledge of lightsaber combat he had prior to being placed in the suit and had kept his skills honed by fighting against enemy Force users and training droids having been confirmed to have been constantly improving his lightsaber skill. Ben on the other hand had been confirmed to have degraded as a duelist thus making it logical that he is Vader's inferior.

Yes, for the duration that Vader and Obi Wan fought neither Vader nor Obi Wan defeated each other. This is because, as I mentioned, Vader was fighting cautiously having remembered their last engagement. It is my belief that Vader would have defeated him had the engagement been prolonged but if he hadn't that would be solely because of Ben's growth in power given we know he degraded in every other area and Vader himself was more powerful and logically more skilled then he was as Anakin.

See this is where your argument falls apart. The basis for such a stance is that Anakin is somehow above Vader but since that's not the case we know Ben's growth in power was at least enough to allow him to contend with a superior opponent to Anakin which suggests overall superiority to his RotS incarnation as a lightsaber combatant despite a degradation in skill.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 01:29 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

?

They were evenly matched but nowhere does it say they were equals.

And like I said to ShootingNova Ben's performance is based on his power growth and has no impact on the comparison between Vader and RotS Kenobi.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 01:30 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

?

They were evenly matched but nowhere does it say they were equals.

If their abilities are evenly matched, then they are equals in lightsaber combat, rofl.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 01:31 AM
UCanShootMyNova

And like I said to ShootingNova Ben's performance is based on his power growth and has no impact on the comparison between Vader and RotS Kenobi.

Last edited by UCanShootMyNova on Jan 17th, 2017 at 01:37 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 01:31 AM