KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does god only exist in your head?

Does god only exist in your head?
Started by: Turbo-Cajun

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Turbo-Cajun
the "God module" - may affect how intensely a person responds to religious beliefs.

As I have stated many times before. It isn't what you hear, it's how loudly you hear it.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 21st, 2004 06:10 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

smart
^ Capt. Fantastic

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Oct 21st, 2004 06:32 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
As I have stated many times before. It isn't what you hear, it's how loudly you hear it
or how naïve one can be

Old Post Oct 21st, 2004 06:37 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Short'n'Sweet
Sitting in bordom

I THINK GOD IS IN YOUR HEAD,BECAUSE IF YOU WERE NEVER TOLD OF HIM,YOU WOULD NOT THINK OF HIM,BUT SINCE YOUR TOLD ABOUT HIM THEN HE IS IN YOUR HEAD AND YOU THINKOF HIM.

KMC GANG MEMBER

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2004 05:29 PM
Short'n'Sweet is currently offline Click here to Send Short'n'Sweet a Private Message Find more posts by Short'n'Sweet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

or drugs really sucks

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2004 11:45 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

If god only exists in my head, then if i shoot myself in the head, i have killed god. And hes not much of a powerful god if he can be killed by a bullet.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 08:21 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by Darinda
I THINK GOD IS IN YOUR HEAD,BECAUSE IF YOU WERE NEVER TOLD OF HIM,YOU WOULD NOT THINK OF HIM,BUT SINCE YOUR TOLD ABOUT HIM THEN HE IS IN YOUR HEAD AND YOU THINKOF HIM.

Try proving that. It might be a little difficult.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2004 11:33 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

It would probably be easier than proving that religion is real... and I mean really prove it.

Might be a little more difficult.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2004 11:37 PM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
It would probably be easier than proving that religion is real... and I mean really prove it.

Might be a little more difficult.

I doubt it. The survying would be hard, as a random American might learn about God, in a non God learing place, and now live in a God learing place. The other just requires a couple books, and some intelligant people. Or, admittedly, a big club. That works too.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2004 11:41 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

Re: Does god only exist in your head?

quote:
[SIZE=3]
I don't really like using this site because it does seem a little biased laughing out loud , but what they are saying was in the LA times ( I read that article before, just couldn't find it again) and we talked about it in class at University, so hes not making it up...

Does this mean that because part of your brain is stimulated you have a perception of God that does not actually exist or does it exist thats just the part of the brain that reacts to a religious experience?

I have some ideas but I want to see what sense you guys make of these articles and this idea of a "God Module"

The idea that part of your brain controls religious experience does not negate the possibility of there being a god, but the fact that the same area of the brain is affected by epileptic siezures and the high number of religious epileptics stengthens the argument that ultra religious people do have something funny in their heads. Or what about the same area of the brain when stimulated causing some people to talk to god, while others experience things like visions of allien abduction? Anyway... read, and learn.... post your comments, I want to hear them.

i didnt go that site, because honestly, im just too lazy. but to answer the title of this thread, id have to say that it would depend on who youre talking to, i believe that God is real and doesnt just exist only in my head, but youll probably get a totally different answer from the next person who posts in this thread

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2004 11:48 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

It helps put the question in context... there is some interesting evidence there on the Human brain and how our brains act to religious experiences

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2004 11:59 PM
acoates22
Alea jacta est

Try this link, the explanation kind of agrees its both

http://proof-of-god.freewebsitehost...georgefile.html

"I learned somethin' today. This country was founded by some of the smartest thinkers the world has ever seen. And they knew one thing: that a truly great country can go to war, and at the same time, act like it doesn't want to. You people who are for the war, you need the protesters. Because they make the country look like it's made of sane, caring individuals. And you people who are anti-war, you need these flag-wavers, because, if our whole country was made up of nothing but soft pussy protesters, we'd get taken down in a second. That's why the founding fathers decided we should have both. It's called 'having your cake and eating it too'."

Old Post Nov 20th, 2004 01:38 PM
acoates22 is currently offline Click here to Send acoates22 a Private Message Find more posts by acoates22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

The link died on me.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2004 03:15 PM
leonheartmm

god exists because u want him to exist, god exists in ur mind, nothing in this world is proof of the existance of god, it is much like relegion, or faith, he exists because people can not bare the thought of him not existing.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 11:27 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
squalI

this thread looks kinda dead, but i was intrigued by the articles, especially the 3rd and longer one, and enjoyed reading the replies.

I know some of you thought the idea of a "God module" was a bit absurd, but my perspective is that it's at least a plausible explantion. My perspective is a little weird though... I was a pretty hardcore Christian for a number of years. In the third article it talks about how some of the people who's brain was highly active concerning words that are related to "God" and "faith" that section of their brain remained highly preoccupied with the idea even when they were no longer confronted my the words. And I was really frustrated after I stopped believing in Christianity, because logically I didn't have a single reason to believe in it, I mean not one, yet I was obsessed with it. And often times like months later I'd feel overly consumed with god or the idea of god or something, but then I'd be like but wait I have no reason to believe that... so why would I go with it. I was thinking I was just so brainwashed or something, I couldn't get over it, but the idea that there's some kind of religious activity rooted into our brains is at least something to think about.

I actually was talking to a Christian friend some time last year, because oh my gosh my soul's going to rot in hell so they all need to talk to me, but anyway, he was like why don't you believe in God, and bluntly I responded, because god feels like a mental disorder. (Which is interesting in light of the articles.) God to me feels like a bunch of weird head games. You go to church, and you learn more, read the Bible learn more, and you can add new characteristics to the the cool lil dude in your head to make him more real.... God's fully customizable, he's kinda like barbie like that.

By the way I don't recommend giving the same speech to any Christian, because it went over hilariously horrible. Bad. hah.

But back on track before this gets hellishly long. A good friend also went from Christian to Atheist more recently. She comes from a strong Christian home, and her complaint against God is people are always talking about these great experiences but she's never felt anything. ever. she's kind of the opposite of me. and she finds this article really interesting too. partly because she's a biology major and finds neuro science interesting in any aspect, but she feels as i do that hey it may be a bunch of complete b.s. but it is a viable explanation.

So there you go. Make of it what you may. or throw tomatoes, whatever works for you. I think even if they end up falling on their face proving or disproving the sensation of God to a part of the brain, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 08:32 AM
squalI is currently offline Click here to Send squalI a Private Message Find more posts by squalI Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

First God isn't a Him or a Her. He doesn't have a gender. Neither do angels Also, if He's in youre head maybe He put Himself there.l

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 04:26 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
brandino

if the thought of god provides you comfort then by all means believe it doesnt provide me comfort id rather die and have no afterlife because if there is it would suck major ass

Old Post Feb 5th, 2005 04:25 AM
brandino is currently offline Click here to Send brandino a Private Message Find more posts by brandino Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
QuietPattern
Restricted

Account Restricted

no. i'm an infidel. i have no relegious beliefs

Old Post Feb 5th, 2005 04:37 AM
QuietPattern is currently offline Click here to Send QuietPattern a Private Message Find more posts by QuietPattern Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

If the idea and concept of God and religion has been hammered in to your brain since birth or whatever, it's unlikely that anyone else will ever push you to think otherwise. If you think for yourself, then maybe your faith in God will waver, unless you have credible proof that God exists. A religious experience that has happened to you, not to anyone else. My parents are religious but they didn't hammer religion into my brain like some people, so now I think for myself that there is no God.

A non religious person, raised by non religious people, would have no reason to believe in God. Simply because the idea hasn't been hammered into their head at all.

Sorry if I just made a huge fool of myself, I'm only 13 years old embarrasment

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 09:58 PM
Imaginary is currently offline Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

You didn't make a fool of yourself what you said makes a lot of sense.

God being a figment of our imaginations is still the best explanation I've heard to date.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 10:07 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote