KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Questions about Tarkin

Questions about Tarkin
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The.D0minator
Restricted

Account Restricted

Haven't seen a slaughter so incredible like the one Galan orchestrated in this thread in a long time. Well done.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2018 03:01 PM
Click here to Send The.D0minator a Private Message Find more posts by The.D0minator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Putting this here for future reference:

(please log in to view the image)
-Vader: The Ultimate Visual Guide

These as well:

-Star Wars Character Encyclopedia (Updated 2016)

-Star Wars Episodes IV Visual Dictionary

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 25th, 2019 at 12:09 AM

Old Post Apr 13th, 2018 02:37 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Question-
Are there any canon quotes that mention how much ofthe outer rim Tarkin controlled? i know he controls a large portion of it, but is there anything more definitive then that?

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Mendax
Question-
Are there any canon quotes that mention how much ofthe outer rim Tarkin controlled? i know he controls a large portion of it, but is there anything more definitive then that?
Yes and no.

As you mentioned, a few sources state that Tarkin 'just' controlled a huge chunk of the Outer Rim:
quote:
Tarkin's main office, the one from which he controlled a large swath of the Outer Rim, was probably even more intimidating.

-Thrawn
quote:
Tarkin's title was technically a civilian one, his position giving him authority across a huge swath of the Outer Rim. But he also wore an Imperial Navy uniform, and his duties and authority straddled both civilian and military venues.

-Thrawn

Other sources, however, imply/state that he controlled the entirety of the Outer Rim:
quote:
"Was it not you who suggested the creation of oversectors and oversector governance as a means of enhancing our control?"
"It was, my lord," Tarkin replied.
"Then your wish is granted. The Outer Rim is yours to oversee -- and with it, the whole of the mobile battle station project," said the Emperor.

-Tarkin

-Rebels Visual Guide

...Which is an even greater testament to the gargantuan amount of power/authority Palpatine vested in that man.

Last edited by Galan007 on May 2nd, 2018 at 02:03 AM

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 01:49 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Galan007
Other sources, however, imply/state that he controlled the entirety of the Outer Rim:
quote:
"Was it not you who suggested the creation of oversectors and oversector governance as a means of enhancing our control?"
"It was, my lord," Tarkin replied.
"Then your wish is granted. The Outer Rim is yours to oversee -- and with it, the whole of the mobile battle station project," said the Emperor.

-Tarkin

-Rebels Visual Guide

...Which is an even greater testament to the gargantuan amount of power/authority Palpatine vested in that man.
These as well...

-Star Wars: AEYNTK

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 04:41 PM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

so I suppose you all read Darth Vader #16?? The answer you seek is pretty cut and dry in there... Tarkin doesn't outrank Vader at all, hes got about as much authority over Vader as i do over my small intestine after spicy mexican

Old Post May 13th, 2018 09:24 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Horror

Tarkin is still a moff at this point. Also, Tarkin hasn't earned Vader's respect yet.

Old Post May 13th, 2018 09:28 AM
Click here to Send Darth Horror a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Horror Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

doesn't mean he ever got direct control over Vader at any point. Vader was sent to the first Death Star strictly as an observer and enforcer so yeah; Tarkin was in absolute control of that space station but hes never had any form of control over Vader

Old Post May 13th, 2018 09:36 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Horror

You are correct. Tarkin controlling Vader has nothing to do with him being in charge of the Death Star though. It's just a sign of mutual respect.

Old Post May 13th, 2018 10:09 AM
Click here to Send Darth Horror a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Horror Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Vader Force chokes Admira Motti

Tarkin: Enough of this! Vader: release him.

Vader releases Admiral Motti
Vader: As you wish.

laughing out loud

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post May 13th, 2018 10:24 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Horror

?

Old Post May 13th, 2018 11:17 AM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by relentless1
so I suppose you all read Darth Vader #16?? The answer you seek is pretty cut and dry in there... Tarkin doesn't outrank Vader at all, hes got about as much authority over Vader as i do over my small intestine after spicy mexican

Galan has posted scans from several official sources that make it explicitly clear Tarkin eventually outranked Vader. That’s an indisputable fact.

Vader #16 takes place before all that. Not difficult.

Old Post May 13th, 2018 01:11 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by relentless1
As was explicitly stated on the intro page of this issue, Tarkin is still a standard Moff at this point in the story(ie. he hasn't yet been promoted to a 'Grand' Moff):

And like the plethora of sources I have posted reiterate: Tarkin only gained true authority over Vader when he became a GRAND Moff and Oversector Governor.

Simple. smile

Old Post May 13th, 2018 06:29 PM
Mendax
Hand of God

question- where do Inquisitors fall in the Imperial chain of command?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2018 11:43 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

In general, they are below Tarkin, Vader, Thrawn, and all other Grand Moffs. The Rebels Visual Guide has them in the same tier as Planetary Governors.

That said, Inquisitors still have command over [most of] the Imperial military, and are [mostly] uninhibited when hunting Jedi:
quote:
"Moreover, the Sixth Brother was granted unlimited Imperial backing when it came to tracking down a Jedi."

-Ahsoka (novelization)

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 7th, 2018 at 12:34 AM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 12:20 AM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

How is it that Tarkin has authority over Thrawn

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 09:57 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Because aside from Sheev himself, Tarkin was *the* top dog in the Empire.

Then Vader.

Then everyone else.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 10:30 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

I’m guessing that’s new canon as in legends the grand admirals we’re above the grand moffs

Tarky is still bad ass

Old Post Jun 12th, 2018 07:08 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Horror

Grand Admirals and Grand Moffs are not comparable since they are not in the same chain of command.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2018 07:46 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Moffs hold military power just as would a grand admiral

Old Post Jun 12th, 2018 08:16 PM