KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Yoda not training Luke?

Yoda not training Luke?
Started by: Ratcat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ratcat

Yoda not training Luke?

Based on what we know of OT, how much of Yoda's wish to not train Luke was real and how much was simply a tactic to teach the first lesson?

Both Yoda and Ben must have known that the day would come when Luke would have to be trained, why would it make sense for yoda to say he was not going to train Luke unless to make Luke go on the defensive?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2001 09:03 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

To be honest, the only reason I can think of is that Yoda is a stubborn old @#%$ and needed Obi-Wan's concillatory words to do what he should.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 03:40 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Well we know, from Episode-I, that Yoda was a very senior Jedi Master. I think we may find that he is instrumental in the "spiriting away2 of the baby Luke and that is why I am puzzled by his ESB attitude.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 04:08 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And also probably thorughly disillusioned by ESB.. We can forgive him a little grumpiness, I feel.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 04:39 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Ya know, whejn I first read that I thought you were saying that Yoda was disillusioned by the film!!!laughing out loud

Yeah, I guess he would have been just a little disillusioned by the estagement on Dagobah. I wonder what would have happened if it had been Mace who had been the designated one?

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 05:02 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Blimey, I know he's a hard taskmaster, but I can't see any Jedi Master not thinking that ESB was quality!

BtVS

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 05:12 AM
Ratcat

Best of the bunch!

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 05:20 AM
Jedi Mercenary
Shotgun Pete

I don't know, Ep1 was up there too especially the Midi-chlorians, phew they made it all worth while

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 05:38 AM
Click here to Send Jedi Mercenary a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Mercenary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Let it go, Merc... let not your anger take hold of you etc.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 05:47 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

I agree with Ushgarak....do you mind Ush for short ? If not, please let me know. Thanks. smile I think that was part of Luke's first lesson, you know Yoda has spent A LOT of time alone on Dagobah, why wouldn't he be mischeivious with Luke at first ? I think he was trying to feel him out a little...."Why wish you become Jedi ?" "Mostly because of my father I guess". Yoda isnt't one to mince words, I think everything he said to Luke was at least part of a lesson or part of a test.

Oh, DUH...now I go back and see RC started this thread. I'm never gonna hear the end of it now. Sorry, RC. sad

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 06:17 AM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi Mercenary
Shotgun Pete

No,no, I'm still pretty angry

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 06:23 AM
Click here to Send Jedi Mercenary a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Mercenary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Hey, Ush is fine. And Yoda' motives are probably strange and inscrutable...

You KNOW where anger leads, Merc...

BtVS

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 06:31 AM
Jedi Mercenary
Shotgun Pete

I'm already a mercenary, a runaway jedi.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 06:32 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That doesn't automatically make you Dark Side fodder, though now I KNOW that you are...

Was it the MCs that put you over thr brink?

BtVS

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 06:35 AM
Jedi Mercenary
Shotgun Pete

I'm no dark sider. Are you??

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 11:26 AM
Ratcat

AHEM! Leading on from the ORIGINAL TOPIC, just how much notivre of Lukes arrival did Yoda have. Were Obi Wan and Yoda in communication throughout Lukes childhood?

I expect the Spirit of Obi Wan visited Yoda on Dagobah but was that the first Yoda heard? I'm not sure if this has ever been addressed anywhere.

Oh, and Gundy dear, I would never hold it against you...wink

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 01:50 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Well thanks, RC. smile

Was that the first Yoda heard what ??

Old Post Feb 26th, 2001 04:49 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Well. did Yoda know that Luke was on his way to be trained? Luke had known of his Jedi heritage for 3 years. Why did it take so long for Ben/Yoda to decided to bring him ot Dagobah.

Were Spirit Ben and Yoda in communication via the Force?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2001 12:09 AM
Zareil

Lets face it Yoda didn't have a council to consult with any more and he probably just wanted to look a bit mystic and get a rise out of the guy lets face it the boy wouldn't even let him borrow the lamp.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2001 04:46 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Luke was a prat, he really was. Probably rubbed Yoda up the wrong way (as presumably did his father before him).

BtVS

Old Post Mar 17th, 2001 07:46 PM