KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Doom

Doom
Started by: wazz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
wazz
Restricted

Account Restricted

Doom

The wall of an elevator lobby has been transformed into a huge gaping crater strewn with fairly realistic corpses and corpse pieces. This is the aftermath of the BFG 9000, the Big Gun (you can guess what the acronym stands for) from Doom, the movie based on the infamous video game that introduced the world to the first person shooter and realistic (for the time, anyway) video game violence.

The Rock (The Rundown, Walking Tall) and Karl Urban ("The Lord of the Rings," The Bourne Supremacy) stand in the flashing red hallway of the elevator lobby having an intense conversation, the quiet moment before the storm as they get ready to shoot the final action scene of the film. It's very nearly the last day of filming on the big screen adaptation, and while the crew rushes about trying to get everything done that needs to be done, director Andrzej Bartkowiak (Exit Wounds, Cradle 2 the Grave) calmly takes his time, making sure everything is exactly the way it should be.

In the film, a mysterious SOS is sent out from the planet Olduvai and the RRTS (Rapid Response Tactical Squad), led by the epynonymous Sarge (The Rock) and his second in command John Grimm (Karl Urban), are sent in to find out what exactly has happened and find instead that, literally, all hell has broken loose.

Based loosely on the adventures of John Grimm in the current best-selling "Doom 3," the film is aiming to replicate the feel of the game as closely as possible, to be the most faithful video game adaptation ever. The stages of Barrandov Studios in Prague are filled with what feels like mile after mile of corridors of all different shapes and sizes, and the hallways are littered with dead and maimed mannequins of different types who will be joined by made up extras at different points. The watchword for Doom has been horror, with copious amounts of gore and violence on the side.

While Bartkowiak has helmed several successful but relatively small action films, this is by far the largest and most complex project he has ever taken on. But with almost no sense of the pressure he's under, he has methodically gone about putting together what many involved have called the best action-horror film since Aliens. That seems to be the goal, and if he gets half of what he's looking for, he should more than please fans of the game and action films alike.

As of this writing, Universal has been keeping the film under wraps, but that won't last much longer. Later this year, we'll be posting a full recap of the visit to the Doom set and interviews with stars Karl Urban and The Rock as well as several members of the crew tasked with keeping the look and feel of the game intact on screen.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2005 11:31 AM
wazz is currently offline Click here to Send wazz a Private Message Find more posts by wazz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

1. You shouldn't plagerize.

2. I'm sure there is already topics about this. Check Sci-fi or something.

3. It will not be the most faithful video game. In fact, it won't be a portal from hell or on Mars. Maybe it will be filmed most faithfully, but the story is not.

4. I can't wait to at least see a trailer. I'm hoping it will have the feel of Aliens. Especially since they use robotics and not CGI.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2005 11:08 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tandrade

**** all of you! hahahahahahahahahahaha

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 08:13 PM
Tandrade is currently offline Click here to Send Tandrade a Private Message Find more posts by Tandrade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

It will be PG 13, it won't have good (if any?) gore, it is directed by a R'n'B actionmovie director, it will have cheap CGI monsters nowhere near as scary as the big-pixel ghouls from the first games, it will have tons of pointless scientific 'plot-building' poo-haa dialogues as filling. All meant to be scary moments in it will be attempted audio-only and the only good this so far is the appearance of the respectful Karl Urban.
It will take Hell's entire army to make me believe this will actually become a movie living up to the legend of the game.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 10:12 PM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

They should just base the movie from the books. The doom books are damn good books for being based around a video game.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 12:56 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
It will be PG 13, it won't have good (if any?) gore, it is directed by a R'n'B actionmovie director, it will have cheap CGI monsters nowhere near as scary as the big-pixel ghouls from the first games, it will have tons of pointless scientific 'plot-building' poo-haa dialogues as filling. All meant to be scary moments in it will be attempted audio-only and the only good this so far is the appearance of the respectful Karl Urban.
It will take Hell's entire army to make me believe this will actually become a movie living up to the legend of the game.

I actually heard it was going to be rated R and will use the robotics guy that worked on the Alien movies and Jurassic Park.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 08:26 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Ok, that would shift my expectations for the better

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 05:38 PM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlazingBarrells

Originally posted by Myth
I actually heard it was going to be rated R and will use the robotics guy that worked on the Alien movies and Jurassic Park.

yeah myth is right with this one. i have read numerous interviews with both the rock and A bartkowiak and they have both said this isnt going to be a cut away fest, it will be a full on straight forward movie with tons of gore.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 11:21 PM
BlazingBarrells is currently offline Click here to Send BlazingBarrells a Private Message Find more posts by BlazingBarrells Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by BlazingBarrells
yeah myth is right with this one. i have read numerous interviews with both the rock and A bartkowiak and they have both said this isnt going to be a cut away fest, it will be a full on straight forward movie with tons of gore.
big grin well, thats what i'm talking about yes thumb up thumb up

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 12:26 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Andrew McLeod

I hear that the director's not planning on using Demons or anything. He said something about taking Doom to another level...I think. That's what turned me off this movie.

Love is an accident waiting to happen. Desire is a stranger you think you know. Intimacy is a lie we tell ourselves. Truth is a game you play to win. If you believe in love at first sight you never stop looking.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 06:41 PM
Andrew McLeod is currently offline Click here to Send Andrew McLeod a Private Message Find more posts by Andrew McLeod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

if there are no demons, i wont even consider watching it. Doom is about demons, space demons atleast. I remember readin somthing in cinescape a while back and the director said in an interview he was going to make the demons as tangible as possible. That was probably a good four months ago, so things could have changed from then.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 11:07 PM
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

I think they are just going to be aliens or something. There is no portal to hell and they go to another planet. Therefore, I assume aliens.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 09:53 AM
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Pffff, there goes my new found hope.... It has to have the demons, torture and blood-pits in it or it will just turn in to independence day 2

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 10:53 AM
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

I hear that towards the end they will film a scene like a 1st person shooter.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2005 09:40 AM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Doom changed my lfe, gotta see this movie no matter what

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 01:42 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hellmistress

Demons and Zombies and Imps, oh my ...

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
if there are no demons, i wont even consider watching it. Doom is about demons, space demons atleast. I remember readin somthing in cinescape a while back and the director said in an interview he was going to make the demons as tangible as possible. That was probably a good four months ago, so things could have changed from then.

There are demons.

There are zombies.

And there DEFINITELY are Imps. Four kinds, to be exact.

All the creature effects have been designed by the award-winning Stan Winston Studios, and the Imps are ALL played by Doug Jones, who was Abe Sapien in HELLBOY.

Here's what Doug had to say about the Imps a few weeks ago in an interview:

Yeah, the Imp design is also very creepy. They’re different colors, and different faces. They look like gnarled up human form, two legs, two arms, but it’s not quite right …Things are misplaced, and shoulder blades are outta whack, and hipbones that are too big, and weird things have happened to these bodies, so you’re not quite sure where they came from or how they were born. And they’re also super strong and fast, so they look like they shouldn’t be able to walk quite right, because of their misshapenness, but they’re stronger and faster than a human.

HM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 07:48 PM
Hellmistress is currently offline Click here to Send Hellmistress a Private Message Find more posts by Hellmistress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

For some reason, I don't have high hopes for Doom the movie...

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 08:50 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Hey rages yopu've read the books? well i agree with you 100% the books gave me sheevers and laughs and I was like living trough a super sci-fi movie that I most likly will NEVER SEE, it was awesome, the lines and all so good for a movie of this kind, I'm gonna ree read thems oon, hehe damn the way the authur wrote 'The pig sound' was just top class! I loved the action as well, also he stayed sooo close to mighty original DooM, ah getting the shotgun and stuff, and the BFG was great! also I LOVED the spidermaster mind fight, too bad our computer guy had to die... almust made me shred a tear, sad I hoped he would live

Old Post Jun 30th, 2005 02:32 AM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote