KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto'

Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto'
Started by: Ya Krunk'd Floo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto'

Hmm, I lost a lot of respect for ol' Mel after that 'Passionate Jesus' fiasco, but his new movie looks ripe for the watching...

I believe it's about the fall of the Mayan empire, but I could be wrong (for the first time). The trailer looks suitably epic and the cinematography looks delicious, but then again, it could all be a big cover-up and once you get in the theatre you are strapped to the chair, lashed a few times, then expected to believe in the reality of a story about some dude with a beard who can turn water into wine.

Anyway, here's the trailer:

Apocalypto

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:39 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lovebuzz

any hint of the plot? i couldnt pick it other then theres a pregnant woman and a guy running from some other people..

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:40 AM
lovebuzz is currently offline Click here to Send lovebuzz a Private Message Find more posts by lovebuzz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Something about some dude doing something to save something that he loves. Or something...

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:50 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

It looks a lot like a History Channel Special. But I respect Mel Gibson as a Director. And I believe he can do his duties to the fullest. He always has been a good historical Director, IMO.

Plot-: An action/adventure film set 600 years ago, prior to the 16th-century Spanish conquest of Mexico and Central America, where a man goes on a perilous journey to save his idyllic world.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0472043/

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 12:04 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lovebuzz

somewhat anachronistic for the man to consider his world idyllic no? i mean it may seem simple and carefree to us but thats only because were comparing it to our world..

hey look at me the first person in the world to find a possible fault in this movie!

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 02:43 PM
lovebuzz is currently offline Click here to Send lovebuzz a Private Message Find more posts by lovebuzz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

"Co-written by Gibson and Farhad Safinia, Apocalypto is a heart stopping mythic action-adventure set against the turbulent end times of the once great Mayan civilization. When his idyllic existence is brutally disrupted by a violent invading force, a man is taken on a perilous journey to a world ruled by fear and oppression where a harrowing end awaits him. Through a twist of fate and spurred by the power of his love for his woman and his family he will make a desperate break to return home and to ultimately save his way of life."

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 08:21 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SleaterKinney32

Re: Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto'

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
The trailer looks suitably epic and the cinematography looks delicious, but then again, it could all be a big cover-up and once you get in the theatre you are strapped to the chair, lashed a few times, then expected to believe in the reality of a story about some dude with a beard who can turn water into wine.

Haha, I like the way you put that.. it made me laugh. Maybe Mel will bounce back into his old ways. I personally didn't mind The Passion of the Christ, but it was overhyped and I felt like he was overdoing it a tad bit. The plot of this new one does sound interesting though, it seems like something worth seeing.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2005 02:09 AM
SleaterKinney32 is currently offline Click here to Send SleaterKinney32 a Private Message Find more posts by SleaterKinney32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Re: Re: Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto'

Originally posted by SleaterKinney32
I personally didn't mind The Passion of the Christ, but it was overhyped and I felt like he was overdoing it a tad bit.

Her under did the movie. The bible says Jesus didn't even look human when haging from the cross. I could go on for a while. but this is not the religion forum.

Last edited by Dusty on Dec 23rd, 2005 at 03:52 AM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2005 02:45 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathcow
Killswitch Engage

Re: Re: Re: Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto'

Originally posted by Mando
The bible

Book of lies.

And yeah, I suppose this Apocalypto jazz doesn't look too bad. Though if it doesn't have Mel Gibson with a half blue face I don't think it'll be good.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2005 03:24 AM
Deathcow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathcow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathcow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

This movie looks alright from what we've seen and what we know so far. The trailer gives you pretty much no idea of what the plot is, but it looks pretty epic, so I'll most likely see it.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2006 08:17 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hmm, I lost a lot of respect for ol' Mel after that 'Passionate Jesus' fiasco, but his new movie looks ripe for the watching...

I believe it's about the fall of the Mayan empire, but I could be wrong (for the first time). The trailer looks suitably epic and the cinematography looks delicious, but then again, it could all be a big cover-up and once you get in the theatre you are strapped to the chair, lashed a few times, then expected to believe in the reality of a story about some dude with a beard who can turn water into wine.

Anyway, here's the trailer:

Apocalypto
IMO....i dont like Gibson's movies. They are always so.....well, i cant think of the word. But they always try to grab people and put them into a frenzy, with Passion of the Christ, you HAD to go see that or you were a heathen. And now this comes out, talking about the end of the Myans (I believe), its just another attempt to make everyone be forced to see this movie, only because of its religious part of the movie....

also, never been a big fan of Mel Gibson in any of his movies, except Signs...but that was because of the director of that, M. Night (cant spell last name) is one of my favorite directors

One little spark...

Old Post Jan 4th, 2006 09:30 PM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I've got a feeling that this is going to actually be a load of guff.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 01:50 PM
Solo

It looks like he's trying to pull a Malick, but I doubt it'll be any good.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 01:59 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorin
Escudo de Roble

I am waiting for this movie!! And itīs released the day of my B-Day

I just loved Gibsonīs great movie The Passion of the Christ, as a Catholic, a master piece for sure, but I also love other Gibsonīs movie

Great expectations for this one, definitely, look amazing and with a very interesting and different story.

Ah
By the way, for your information (...ŋ?!) the story goes around the conquest of the Maya Empire (Look for an history book to find out what is Maya) by the Spanish armies.
A little bit of L American history is very needed, I see, very needed.

Last edited by Thorin on Oct 17th, 2006 at 02:25 PM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 02:22 PM
Thorin is currently offline Click here to Send Thorin a Private Message Find more posts by Thorin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by Solo
It looks like he's trying to pull a Malick, but I doubt it'll be any good.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. He's going for the contemplative pretty-as-a-picture movie, but I don't think he's got the talent Malick has.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2006 01:46 AM
crickey77

Originally posted by Thorin
I am waiting for this movie!! And itīs released the day of my B-Day

I just loved Gibsonīs great movie The Passion of the Christ, as a Catholic, a master piece for sure, but I also love other Gibsonīs movie

Great expectations for this one, definitely, look amazing and with a very interesting and different story.

Ah
By the way, for your information (...ŋ?!) the story goes around the conquest of the Maya Empire (Look for an history book to find out what is Maya) by the Spanish armies.
A little bit of L American history is very needed, I see, very needed.

Definitely agree -- As I have said in the other thread, I definitely think this is going to be a master piece. Gibson is very talented and I sure he will do an amazing job on this. Can't wait and Thorin, what a great bday gift smile

Old Post Oct 19th, 2006 12:42 PM
crickey77 is currently offline Click here to Send crickey77 a Private Message Find more posts by crickey77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Bah, I saw the trailer for it at The Prestige today erm

Looks like crap if you ask me.

Then again I also reffuse to watch Passion of the Christ, because it exploits Jesus's sacrifice as the most important part of his life, even though thats a load of crap. After all "Its not how you die that matters, its how you live."

However I did also see the trailer for another Jesus movie in the trailers for the Prestige today erm

Looks really good, i'll be seeing that

Old Post Oct 20th, 2006 11:50 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

Looks good, I heard about this a while back and thought it was about Spanish and Aztecs fighting.

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Oct 21st, 2006 01:17 AM
The Pict is currently offline Click here to Send The Pict a Private Message Find more posts by The Pict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crickey77

Originally posted by The Pict
Looks good, I heard about this a while back and thought it was about Spanish and Aztecs fighting.

Actually, it is about the fall of the Mayan Empire -- here is how IMDb summarizes it:

As the Maya kingdom faces its decline, the rulers insist the key to prosperity is to build more temples and offer human sacrifices. Jaguar Paw (Rudy Youngblood), a young man chosen for sacrifice, flees the kingdom to avoid his fate

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2006 12:48 PM
crickey77 is currently offline Click here to Send crickey77 a Private Message Find more posts by crickey77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's a dvd wait for me, like with Passion.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2006 10:02 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote