KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...
Started by: SpunkySmurph

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smurph
------

Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Fair enough, at first I had mixed feelings about Civil War, but that was when it was first coming out and I wasn't following it too closely. Since then I've had a chance to sit down, read the whole story/arc from front to back, form an opinion, and feel a little more knowledgeable about the whole situation. Then I come back on KMC, and all I hear is nameless peoples continue to b*tch about Civil War, Tony Stark, and Marvel in general.

Look at the concept of Civil War: Registering people with powers to level city blocks, and then some, with the government, to stave off the threat of cataclysmic destruction at the hands of some pre-teen walking nuke who decided it would be cool to be a vigilante like his favourite heroes that he sees on the news.

If the world of comics had any sense of realism, this would have happened ages ago. Do you really think modern day society would allow somebody who could lift freight trains to NOT be held personally accountable for their actions after even the first incident of damage to a person or their property? Much less all the other ensuing damage caused by battles with Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America?

Comics are not Saturday Morning Cartoon Specials. Pain is caused, building are damaged, and people die. If comics were anything like modern reality, then the moment a child was caused personal and permanent damage by the side effects of a battle with Dr. Doom, anybody in a cape and mask, hero or villain, would be crucified by the media and the public.

With the exclusion of Clor, Tony Stark did nothing wrong. And the Clor incident seemed clearly a ploy to me to make out Stark to be evil. Honestly, it's imbecilic to think that allowing the Government to keep tabs on walking warheads is anything other then common sense.

Too many people don't realize the whole basis for Civil War was the natural and long overdue evolution of the fictional superhuman society, that fact eclipsed to all the bleeding hearts out there because Cap died. I say, let them bleed. And, if you can tell me where that reference is from, I'll be grateful, because the quote is running through my head and it's bothering me that I don't know the source.

[/rant]

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:25 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Uhhh Smurf, most of us aren't bitching about the actual registration act (on the contrary, I agree with you 100%). We were bitching about how shoddily made the story was and how it was blatantly obvious that Marvel were making the post-regs the 'villains'.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:30 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

quote: (post)
Originally posted by grey fox
Uhhh Smurf, most of us aren't bitching about the actual registration act (on the contrary, I agree with you 100%). We were bitching about how shoddily made the story was and how it was blatantly obvious that Marvel were making the post-regs the 'villains'.
Oh, I don't care.

I just think the way comics are run is dumb... and it was more geared at a couple individuals. Plus, it's been a long week. I felt like ranting about something before Digi comes and makes some comment about this not needing its own thread before closing it.

It's half the bitching about Marvel that pisses me off, and half the premise of the arc.

I didn't mind the art, the writing, or how things were put together.

Last edited by Smurph on Jul 2nd, 2007 at 05:35 AM

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:32 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Oh, I don't care.

I just think the way comics are run is dumb... and it was more geared at a couple individuals. Plus, it's been a long week. I felt like ranting about something before Digi comes and makes some comment about this not needing its own thread before closing it.

Hard week ?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:33 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Tony Stark's awesome, the story blew coco nuts, and can I make my own rant about Civil War?
Even though though there are like 10 Civil War threads?

Ya, I went there...

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:34 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by grey fox
Hard week ?
Not so much hard, as tiring.

I haven't been on KMC in a while, so I felt like typing. A lot.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:37 AM
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Jebus reborn
Tony Stark's awesome, the story blew coco nuts, and can I make my own rant about Civil War?
Even though though there are like 10 Civil War threads?

Ya, I went there...
Yes, you can.

Digi might not like it, me, or you, but I think you could.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:37 AM
One Big Mob
Dead

Yes, you can.

Digi might not like it, me, or you, but I think you could.
Too much work...

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:38 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supreme Smurph

Re: Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Fair enough, at first I had mixed feelings about Civil War, but that was when it was first coming out and I wasn't following it too closely. Since then I've had a chance to sit down, read the whole story/arc from front to back, form an opinion, and feel a little more knowledgeable about the whole situation. Then I come back on KMC, and all I hear is nameless peoples continue to b*tch about Civil War, Tony Stark, and Marvel in general.

Look at the concept of Civil War: Registering people with powers to level city blocks, and then some, with the government, to stave off the threat of cataclysmic destruction at the hands of some pre-teen walking nuke who decided it would be cool to be a vigilante like his favourite heroes that he sees on the news.

If the world of comics had any sense of realism, this would have happened ages ago. Do you really think modern day society would allow somebody who could lift freight trains to NOT be held personally accountable for their actions after even the first incident of damage to a person or their property? Much less all the other ensuing damage caused by battles with Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America?

Comics are not Saturday Morning Cartoon Specials. Pain is caused, building are damaged, and people die. If comics were anything like modern reality, then the moment a child was caused personal and permanent damage by the side effects of a battle with Dr. Doom, anybody in a cape and mask, hero or villain, would be crucified by the media and the public.

With the exclusion of Clor, Tony Stark did nothing wrong. And the Clor incident seemed clearly a ploy to me to make out Stark to be evil. Honestly, it's imbecilic to think that allowing the Government to keep tabs on walking warheads is anything other then common sense.

Too many people don't realize the whole basis for Civil War was the natural and long overdue evolution of the fictional superhuman society, that fact eclipsed to all the bleeding hearts out there because Cap died. I say, let them bleed. And, if you can tell me where that reference is from, I'll be grateful, because the quote is running through my head and it's bothering me that I don't know the source.

[/rant]

But how far does one take a Registration before they turn into Nazi's? Each person having powers should take responsibility for what their actions do. Why does one have to expose themselves and their families to do so?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:41 AM
Supreme Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Supreme Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Supreme Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Jebus reborn
Too much work...
Make it three lines:

Tony Stark rocks.

The Story sucks.

Trickster's gonna make some "DC>Marvel" statement.

You can't go wrong.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:42 AM
Smurph
------

Re: Re: Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Originally posted by Supreme Smurph
But how far does one take a Registration before they turn into Nazi's? Each person having powers should take responsibility for what their actions do. Why does one have to expose themselves and their families to do so?
Having SHIELD know such information privately seems like a smart idea... exposing yourself publicly is asinine.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:44 AM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Sock FTW?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:45 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Re: Re: Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Originally posted by Supreme Smurph

Here in lies one of the problems and reasons why SRA doesn't work. Why should the information be public at all? confused Why not let only the government, or a select few people know the secret identities. Otherwise, you're just letting villains know who to kidnap/torture/mutate/kill to hurt the heroes most. no

Well, this hasn't happened in Canada yet. They have their own registration act. So either theirs isn't public, or no nobody cares enough about Canada or Alpha Flight enough to attack them. stick out tongue

And dur you, Smurf. I could respond to that with how DC handled this situation in the 50s (comic-time).

Btw, Stark did other reprehensible things besides Clor. The Negative Zone prison, the exile of the Hulk, the persecution of superheroes for doing their job, and possibly aiding skrull efforts to take over Marvel Earth.

That last one would be funny if I was kidding.......

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:50 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Martian_mind
Sock FTW?
Second one to sock as my dark side.

I'm quite popular.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:50 AM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Re: Re: Re: Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Here in lies one of the problems and reasons why SRA doesn't work. Why should the information be public at all? confused Why not let only the government, or a select few people know the secret identities. Otherwise, you're just letting villains know who to kidnap/torture/mutate/kill to hurt the heroes most. no

Ummm,you are aware it is a strict rule that ONLY Tony Stark knows the identity,and no-one else?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:52 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

I'm quite popular.

Only cause they know people cae so little about you that they couldn't be assed to care.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:53 AM
Entity
Illuminati Founder

But they never had to publicly expose themselves. Peter just did that to show support for the registration act to the public!

If you read the story registration was never mandatory public exposition!

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:56 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Yeah,but Tricker missed that.

or forgot.

or he's a tard

or some combination of the three.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:58 AM
Supreme Smurph

Re: Re: Re: Re: Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Originally posted by Martian_mind
Ummm,you are aware it is a strict rule that ONLY Tony Stark knows the identity,and no-one else?
Which is why Stark decided to convince spiderman to do what again?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 05:59 AM
Supreme Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Supreme Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Supreme Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supreme Smurph

I'm quite popular.
Popularity has nothing to do with it my brother. I am your Bane. We are one and shall never be parted. The fool, Creshosk thought he had gotten me out of your spirit, but I am tied too deeply.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2007 06:00 AM