KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » The Smiths

The Smiths
Started by: Bardock42

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

The Smiths

I thought aboot opening a Thread aboot them earlier but I am not really that knowledgable in Music at all so i decided against it, but due to a very luck occurence aboot 4 min utes ago I decided that it is time to do it.
So first, I love the Smiths...they are my all time favorite Band....great Music, great Lyrics, great Guitar...great everything. Pretty much every song I heard of them I like.
Now the occurence, my father has a good friend of his and he visited him today....I mywself only have to Albums of them but for some reason he mentioned that love the Smiths....anyways this friend has a great collection of CDs and it turns out that he has almost every Album of the Smiths and is so nice to borrow them to me.....which is like Birthday and Christmas on teh same day for me.....you can't believe how thrilled I am.....

Ok well so do you know the Smiths, how do you like them....do you maybe prefer Morrissey's Solo stuff? What is your favorite Song?

Mine is Please, Please, Please but I like Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic, Some Girls are Bigger than others, etc. almost the same. I didn't really get into Morrisseys Solo Stuff..its just not the same.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 08:49 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

My favourite band Placebo did a cover of Bigmouth Strikes Again, and the lyrics are great yes

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:42 PM
Imaginary is currently offline Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

sweetness, sweetness i was only joking when i said i'd like to smash every tooth in your head.

yea i love the smiths, very good band

Still Ill my favourite song tho

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 12:34 AM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I like the Smiths, but despite my efforts, How Soon Is Now is still my favourite song they ever did. Sure, it's their most popular song next to maybe Panic, but damn, I love that song.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 04:41 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

It's a very good song...i like it very much...not my favorite but well its good enought o be covered twice at least.....

Frankly Mr. Shankly is a great song too...just thought I add that....

Oh by teh way my favorite Album would probably be " Louder Than Bombs" It's jsut really really great.....

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 05:33 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

I saw Morrisey last year at Leeds Festival. He coverred so many songs of The Smiths, including the best ones like Ill, Mr Shankly, How Soon Is Now, Panic etc. The crowd went mental when he did.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 05:35 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I now have 4 Albums of him, maybe I will find something that I like aboot him that reminds me of the smiths......but I heard that he covered tehm.....how did he do it...was it comparable?

I was very suprised when I saw this 2 Second Zapping of Morrissey singing "Panic" in "Shaun of the Dead" and none of my friends could understand what I was even talking aboot...he and the Smiths are not really that known here in germany....

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 06:14 PM
Red Superfly

His covers were spot on. It sounded like The Smiths as much as they ever did.

How Soon Is Now was played with some awesome lighting effects in synch with the music, almost strobe like. Very surreal and very, very cool.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 06:58 PM
Bardock42

Has anyone listened to the Tribute Album "The Smiths is Dead"? If so is it any good?

Do you know which songs he covered except for the ones you mentioned...and what did he play of his own songs? The ones on teh New Album or older ones too?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 12:29 PM
Df02

How Soon Is Now? is good, but i always thought it should've gone somewhere... sounds like it has no direction sometimes

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 01:36 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Hmm yes I guess you can see it that way.....I like the Part "There'S a Club if you'd like to go" thats really great...and I find the lyrics funny at that point...

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 01:41 PM
Refused
Iconoclast

everyone hear should download Death Cab for Cuties cover of "This Charming Man". Sooooo goood.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 08:02 PM
Refused is currently offline Click here to Send Refused a Private Message Find more posts by Refused Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Hmm I will....as good as the Original?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 08:05 PM
Reckoning

The Smiths is undoubtedly one of the most influential bands ever to grace this world. Naturally I am a die-hard fan. Morrisey rocks everything.

You did name Bigmouth Strikes Again but there is also Girlfriend In A Coma, Well I Wonder, I Know It's Over, What Difference Does It Make?, Miserable Lie, Meat Is Murder, Rush and a Push and the Land Is Our's, Frankly Mr Shankly, Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me; I could go on and on.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2005 10:24 AM
Reckoning is currently offline Click here to Send Reckoning a Private Message Find more posts by Reckoning Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Reckoning
The Smiths is undoubtedly one of the most influential bands ever to grace this world. Naturally I am a die-hard fan. Morrisey rocks everything.

You did name Bigmouth Strikes Again but there is also Girlfriend In A Coma, Well I Wonder, I Know It's Over, What Difference Does It Make?, Miserable Lie, Meat Is Murder, Rush and a Push and the Land Is Our's, Frankly Mr Shankly, Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me; I could go on and on.

I know they are all so good...A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours is especially great....

Louder Than Bombs has 24 Tracks on it and all of them are great, I will jsut name the best:
Is it Really so Strange
Shoplifters of the World Unite
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Half a Person
Panic
Girl Afraid
William it was really nothing
You just havent earned it yet baby
Heaven knows I'm miserable now
Ask
These Things Take Time
Hand in Glove
Please, Please, Please Let me get what I want
This night has opened my Eyes
Asleep

Its such a good Album.....

Although of the ones you named I think I haven't heard Miserable Lie....

Old Post Jul 27th, 2005 11:14 AM
peejay88

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Superfly
I saw Morrisey last year at Leeds Festival. He coverred so many songs of The Smiths, including the best ones like Ill, Mr Shankly, How Soon Is Now, Panic etc. The crowd went mental when he did.

Last year i got dragged along to the Birmingham NIA to see Morrissey (for my Brothers B'Day, he's a huge, huge fan of Smiths/Morrissey). At the time i had only seen him at Glastonbury (on TV) and thought, 'Who's this fat old tosser?'. At the concert however, he opened with 'How soon is now', the song weas extremely impressive and as close as you're gunna get to The Smiths or the album version. I still can't say i was converted though although i do like 'Jack the ripper' and 'Munich air disaster' (yes, i'm a red devil). I think after seeing Bruce Springsteen no concert will ever be sufficient! The Guys awesome, 50+ and still rocking harder than anyone, and not making a fool of himself doing so.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 07:54 PM
peejay88 is currently offline Click here to Send peejay88 a Private Message Find more posts by peejay88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Yes Bruce Springsteen is great.......

And I love Jack the Ripper too.....its probably just as good as any Smiths song.....I hope I get a chance to see Morrissey sometime.....

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 10:11 AM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

The Smiths are quality, a bit old school now, but still cool.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 06:47 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

So i looked up on the Smiths Albums and Stuff...and by accident I found at least 6 Tribute Albums on Amazon alone.....does anyone know if they are any good.

Furthermore I have two questions: What is this Troy Tate Session...has it different songs or was it juist a different Recording of "The Smiths" ?

Second where do you think could I get some of the Singles (problem I live in germany)?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 08:46 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Excellent band.

Favourite track is The Boy with the Thorn in his Side.

Was covered by Jeff Buckley- pretty cool but a bit ropey.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 10:40 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote