KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Hulk is super fast

Hulk is super fast
Started by: IceMan2008

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
IceMan2008
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hulk is super fast

wink
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?c...mp;itemid=10981

JEPH LOEB ON HULK
The writer reveals his plans for the mysterious crimson goliath in his new series with Ed McGuinness
By David Paggi

Posted January 16, 2008 4:45 PM

“When Hulk said ‘Smash,’ I didn’t think he meant ‘Smash Hit,’ but I guess that’s what he means,” quipped Jeph Loeb, kicking off today’s Hulk Spotlight Marvel Podcast. Loeb, along with frequent collaborator Ed McGuinness, has begun a new chapter in the Hulk saga that fans have responded to in a big way. “We were a little intimidated by the fact that Greg Pak had put together this roller coaster of ‘Planet Hulk’ and ‘World War Hulk,’” says Loeb. “But Joe Quesada, to his credit, thought that we could pick the ball up and take it a little further down he field.”

The team’s first order of business was making the Hulk red (though no one in the book knows that yet). Second — Banner isn’t Hulk. At the end of World War Hulk, Bruce Banner was left in a coma. When Hulk #1 opens, Doctor Leonard Samson, General Thunderbolt Ross, Iron Man, Jen Walters — a.k.a., She-Hulk — and Maria Hill are tracking down another Hulk who has just busted a cap in the Abomination. They’ve got an old-fashioned murder mystery on their hands. So, “Who dunnit?”

“I’ve always believed that the detective is the first one that you have to look at,” Loeb said in reference to Banner, who our other detectives go to for help at the end of the issue. Banner is out of his coma, but now he’s incarcerated in a special sort of prison. “I would say it’s pretty hard for someone to get out of that particular prison that he’s in. He’s five stories below ground in a base that has no human contact with him unless you go through incredible security. We’ll see more of exactly what that base is made of in issue #3. If you’re gonna keep Banner under lock and key this is probably the best way to do it. We’ll see whether or not that counts for everything in the real world.”

So who exactly is this new Hulk? Why is he Red? Does he wear purple pants? All good questions that will be answered in due time, but what we know now is that this isn’t your daddy’s Hulk. “He’s very fast, and a strategist,” says Loeb, mentioning a specific scene in the second issue where the cast first encounters the new Hulk. “He sort of appears like the alien in ‘Aliens’ and grabs one to team members, and out of sight beats the crap out of him and throws him back into sight. Tony Stark, who’s a pretty bright guy says, ‘I saw red hands, did anyone else see red hands?’ So you start to get an idea that there is something different happening and by the end of that issue, at least Iron Man will know what he’s up against.”

According to Loeb a lot of the impetus for this new direction came from perceptions of the Hulk in classic Tales To Astonish stories where Hulk wasn’t a public figure. “Before anybody knew that Banner was the Hulk, the Hulk would come out mainly at night and we barely knew what he was,” says Loeb. The detective perceptions of what the creature is are now being played more real. “If this big giant red thing came out and grabbed somebody and disappeared, I don’t know if your immediate reaction would be to say it’s the Hulk. I think we’re back to the status quo of the world doesn’t know if Banner is the Hulk now. For so long they didn’t know who the Hulk was. We are going to pose the question: maybe the Hulk isn’t anybody. Maybe the Hulk is the Hulk! And if you calmed him down, what you’d get is a Hulk that goes to sleep, not a Hulk that turns back into a human.”

But that’s not the only option readers are given in the first issue. In fact one familiar character is set up as a prime suspect. Rick Jones, who was presumed dead in Manhattan, is walking around the Alaskan frontier in tattered pants, and he thinks he has something to do with a destroyed oil line. “My instinct is that he’s not going to be in the Alaskan frontier for long,” says Loeb. “[Rick] has one friend in this world, and I think its safe to say that’s Banner, and all I know is that when they get together nothing good comes of it. So I’m looking forward to seeing the two of them get together and obviously that’s going to be very difficult to happen if you’re at the base.”

So will the team we see in the first issue be able to take down this new Hulk, who, as we’ve seen for the Abomination, isn’t above using some firepower on his foes? “I think that certainly time and time again the Hulk has been defeated,” says Loeb. “All we know is that the Hulk is behaving in a way they’ve never seen before. But they’ve gone up against the guy that ran the Pantheon; they’ve gone up against Mr. Fixit. There have been other personalities that have emerged. I’ve always believed that the reason the Hulk could never be defeated is that at the end of the day, Banner wouldn’t [let him win]. Because if you think about it, the madder he gets the stronger he gets — there’s no end to that. He just becomes big enough to punch the moon apart, or dare I say it, crack the Internet in half. I think the real question is, are we dealing with a Hulk we’ve ever dealt with before. He’s red, lets find out what that’s about. By the time you get to issue #4, you have a pretty good idea of what’s going on. That doesn’t mean you know what’s going on. But you have a pretty good idea.”

One other question a Marvel fan has to ask themselves at this juncture is where do all these characters, who are all staples of the Marvel, fit into Marvel’s big Secret Invasion plans of 2008, if at all? “I’m working very closely with (Avengers writer Brian Michael) Bendis to make sure I’m not doing anything that contradicts what’s going on in Secret Invasion,” says Loeb. “But in terms of the book itself I don’t think we’re going to cross over. We’re already dealing with a lot of new characters and new subject matter. Having said that I can’t promise you there isn’t something Skrully going on in the book. I just don’t know if it’s going to tie directly into what is essential in an Avengers driven storyline.”

Another thing you can’t overlook is the partnership between Loeb and Ed McGuinness, who together have pumped out some pretty awesome comics. According to Loeb, their plan for collaborating on Hulk will very much mimic their last series. “There is something very sweet about what we accomplished with Superman/Batman,” says Loeb. “And the idea of doing 25 issues and breaking them into pods so that we can invite some of our friends to come in — we’ve got some pretty exciting announcements [that we’ll make known in the coming months] about some of the people who might be coming in to do a few issues so we can keep Ed on time and [have him] do the big major plotline stories.”

And there you have it. Big things are on the horizon for Hulk, especially one grudge match that Loeb seems to be dying to see.

“I have promised the Hulk is going to punch the Watcher in the face.”

Sweet.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 09:25 AM
IceMan2008 is currently offline Click here to Send IceMan2008 a Private Message Find more posts by IceMan2008 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

no expression no expression no expression

no expression no expression

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:10 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

So does this mean that Hulk will become a light speeder
shifty

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:14 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Ash231
Harbinger of Dur

edit

Sig by Inhuman

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:18 PM
Bad Ash231 is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Ash231 a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Ash231 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If "fast" = "gay", then yes...... Hulk is quite "Super".

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:18 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Ash231
Harbinger of Dur

A week from now, in another Jeph Loeb interview:

"Jeph stated that because of his increased anger, the Red Hulk could now fly"

after another week

"In Hulk #3, the Red Hulk has developed a new power - the ability to shoot laser beams out of his eyes"

continuing

"Jeph Loeb has told to us about his new intentions and we saw a preview- the Red Hulk is going to battle a being that scars his chest in a way it can't be healed...why...the scar looks almost like an "S"...hmm."

Sig by Inhuman

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:19 PM
Bad Ash231 is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Ash231 a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Ash231 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SuperiorTech

The madder hulk gets the faster hulk gets.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:21 PM
SuperiorTech is currently offline Click here to Send SuperiorTech a Private Message Find more posts by SuperiorTech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
A week from now, in another Jeph Loeb interview:

"Jeph stated that because of his increased anger, the Red Hulk could now fly"

after another week

"In Hulk #3, the Red Hulk has developed a new power - the ability to shoot laser beams out of his eyes"

continuing

"Jeph Loeb has told to us about his new intentions and we saw a preview- the Red Hulk is going to battle a being that scars his chest in a way it can't be healed...why...the scar looks almost like an "S"...hmm."
laughing

I was actually thinking more along the lines

Of him all of sudden growing spikes from his Body. Becoming a mindless tool of destruction. And being able to come back from death stronger than before. stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:22 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

no expression no expression

One of These Things Is Not Like The Other, One of these things just doesn't belong.

shifty

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:23 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by grey fox
One of These Things Is Not Like The Other, One of these things just doesn't belong.

shifty

Ohhhh....someone got it!

You get a cookie.

*gives cookie to grey fox*

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:24 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kutulu
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by SuperiorTech
The madder hulk gets the faster hulk gets.

In a way it makes sense for Hulk to be fast though. His entire bodyweight would be like a feather in comparison to his strength.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:25 PM
Kutulu is currently offline Click here to Send Kutulu a Private Message Find more posts by Kutulu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Don't eat it fox it's poisoned.

And while I don't like the Hulk as much as other people do I do kind want to see what type of speed level they will amp up to?

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:25 PM
Kutulu
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Newjak

And while I don't like the Hulk as much as other people do I do kind want to see what type of speed level they will amp up to?

Well if he looks like a blur to Extremis Iron Man, who has reactions times pretty high up there (got a huge upgrade in reflexes / reaction time during the Extremis saga), then it would have to be pretty fast.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:26 PM
Kutulu is currently offline Click here to Send Kutulu a Private Message Find more posts by Kutulu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Kutulu
In a way it makes sense for Hulk to be fast though. His entire bodyweight would be like a feather in comparison to his strength.

Red= no

Shh!! shifty

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:30 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

We already have a thread about the Red Hulk here, WD. How about merging this one?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:35 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Lulz.

They're trying really hard to upgrade Hulk in order to go toe to toe with characters such as Superman or the like. This supposed 'speed upgrade' is ridiculous.

Marvel must've been reading lots of Superman vs Hulk debates and I think they were like "Hey, we've gotta do something about that. Let's make him fast and be able to punch a Watcher in the face. Yeah .. that'll do it. And since we're at it, let's change his appearence, try to make him cooler. Is red fine ? Oh, okay. "

quote:
And there you have it. Big things are on the horizon for Hulk, especially one grudge match that Loeb seems to be dying to see.

“I have promised the Hulk is going to punch the Watcher in the face.”

laughing out loud

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Jan 17th, 2008 at 04:39 PM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:35 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Erik-Lensherr
Lulz.

They're trying really hard to upgrade Hulk in order to go toe to toe with characters such as Superman or the like. This supposed 'speed upgrade' is ridiculous.

Marvel must've been reading lots of Superman vs Hulk debates and I think they were like "Hey, we've gotta do something about that. Let's make him fast and be able to punch a Watcher in the face. Yeah .. that'll do it. And since we're at it, let's change his appearence, try to make him cooler. Is red fine ? Oh, okay. "

laughing out loud
And what exactly is wrong if that is what they're doing erm

sig by Rao Kal El

Last edited by Newjak on Jan 17th, 2008 at 05:07 PM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 04:58 PM
Bad Ash231
Harbinger of Dur

laughing

I was actually thinking more along the lines

Of him all of sudden growing spikes from his Body. Becoming a mindless tool of destruction. And being able to come back from death stronger than before. stick out tongue

Why not both?

Sig by Inhuman

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 05:07 PM
Kutulu
Restricted

Account Restricted

And what exactly is wrong if that is what they're doing erm

Because the Superman fanboys won't like a Marvel character approaching the big S.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 05:17 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

*Looks at cookie*

Hmmm....

*Mails to Joey Q*

Anyway....while the long term may be annyoing the short term seems to be pretty good ? Am I right ?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 05:19 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote