KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What does enhanced mean?

What does enhanced mean?
Started by: Alfheim

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deadline

What does enhanced mean?

Whats the difference between enhanced and superhuman and peak human?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 03:11 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dinalfos
Lord Caco

Last edited by Dinalfos on Sep 30th, 2006 at 03:43 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 03:40 PM
Dinalfos is currently offline Click here to Send Dinalfos a Private Message Find more posts by Dinalfos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dinalfos
Lord Caco

Well, I think superhuman is quite obvious. If it's scientific, then it usually involves some form of radically altered DNA. Like Spiderman, Hulk etc. If it's supernatural, well, anything goes.

Peak human is basically a human body trained to absolute perfection....in relation to his body size, weight and mass. Enhanced human is simply a limited form of superhuman, usually created by general scientific modifying. It's not supernatural per se, it's just that everything is set to the absolute MAX, without ever needing to train or exercise. So it's basically superhuman, but at the same time it's not.

(This is my interpretation)

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 03:43 PM
Dinalfos is currently offline Click here to Send Dinalfos a Private Message Find more posts by Dinalfos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dinalfos
Well, I think superhuman is quite obvious. If it's scientific, then it usually involves some form of radically altered DNA. Like Spiderman, Hulk etc. If it's supernatural, well, anything goes.

Peak human is basically a human body trained to absolute perfection....in relation to his body size, weight and mass. Enhanced human is simply a limited form of superhuman, usually created by general scientific modifying. It's not supernatural per se, it's just that everything is set to the absolute MAX, without ever needing to train or exercise. So it's basically superhuman, but at the same time it's not.

(This is my interpretation)

Yes I kinda got that impression, but I thought I would get a second opinion.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 03:47 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Because we are dealing with comic superheroes, the term "enhanced" and "super" can be somewhat arbitrary, but generally I agree with Dinalfos.

Peak human is the human body trained to perfection; it is the best it can realistically be. Peak human is not a fiction.

Enhanced human would be trans-peak, generally attainable by (eg) gene-engineering or technology. Currently, this is somewhat fictional but certainly realistic in the foreseeable future.

Super human is beyond enhanced or it's extreme enhanced. While theoretically possible given equally extreme technology or DNA modification, it is generally regarded as fictional, especially given dubious causes such as radiation or the supernatural/magic.

"Enhanced" or "meta-" may also be used instead of "super-" so that "super-" (which is somewhat overdone, IMO) can be given a rest.

Personally, I'm a little curious as to why "cosmic" is higher than "godlike." I guess the origins of that rest in (eg) Thor being below Galactus.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Sep 30th, 2006 at 04:20 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 04:16 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Mindship
Because we are dealing with comic superheroes, the term "enhanced" and "super" can be somewhat arbitrary, but generally I agree with Dinalfos.

Peak human is the human body trained to perfection; it is the best it can realistically be. Peak human is not a fiction.

Yes but in the Marvel Universe a peak human could lift 2 tons.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 04:18 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Alfheim

Well, they obviously have their own definitions...although...

While Marvel probably means "lifting" as in "military-pressing," some real human beings have lifted over 3 tons using their back and legs. Paul Anderson, for example, the US Olympic heavyweight weightlifting champion in 1956 - and the first man, I believe, to strictly military press 400 pounds - did a backlift (platform lift) with over 6000 pounds.

Sri Chinmoy, a still-living meditation master, did a platform lift of over 7000 pounds (I think he still holds the record of heaviest weight ever lifted by a human being).

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 04:27 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

While Marvel probably means "lifting" as in "military-pressing,"

What like lying on your back

Sri Chinmoy, a still-living meditation master, did a platform lift of over 7000 pounds (I think he still holds the record of heaviest weight ever lifted by a human being).

Platform lift...er..legs and back again? Thats interesting that means Cap could probably lift up a car.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 04:38 PM
Dinalfos
Lord Caco

No, that's enhanced human. Daredevil and Punisher are peak human and they cannot lift that much. Kingpin probably can(under optimal physical conditions, with leverage), but only because of his mass and size. So logically speaking, someone like Captain America should be slightly above Punisher, but below Kingpin. Unless he's more than just peak, which I can see being the case.

This kind of structural relativity is lost when scientific enhancements come into play.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 04:50 PM
Scoobless
sselboocS

Thats interesting that means Cap could probably lift up a car.

He can't, In "Red Zone" he was desperately trying to lift an estate car but couldn't manage it... She Hulk had to come along and do it for him

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 04:50 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

No, that's enhanced human. Daredevil and Punisher are peak human and they cannot lift that much. Kingpin probably can(under optimal physical conditions, with leverage), but only because of his mass and size. So logically speaking, someone like Captain America should be slightly above Punisher, but below Kingpin. Unless he's more than just peak, which I can see being the case.

This kind of structural relativity is lost when scientific enhancements come into play.

Sorry I disagree Cap could probably lift one ton since he can benchpress at least 1100 lbs with ease. Under extreme pressure 2 tons, but not often. As I have said before peak human can be just outside superhuman. The weakest superhumans tend to be able to lift only 3 tons, so peak human could be 2 tons.

Originally posted by Scoobless
He can't, In "Red Zone" he was desperately trying to lift an estate car but couldn't manage it... She Hulk had to come along and do it for him

Well obvoulsy it depends on how big the car is. I cant see him lifting an estate car but I can see him lifting a mini with extreme effort.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 04:57 PM
Scoobless
sselboocS

Well obvoulsy it depends on how big the car is. I cant see him lifting an estate car but I can see him lifting a mini with extreme effort.

I once tipped over a fiesta on my own .... big grin

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 05:12 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Scoobless
I once tipped over a fiesta on my own .... big grin

tipped doesnt count. stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 05:23 PM
Dinalfos
Lord Caco

Sorry I disagree Cap could probably lift one ton since he can benchpress at least 1100 lbs with ease. Under extreme pressure 2 tons, but not often. As I have said before peak human can be just outside superhuman. The weakest superhumans tend to be able to lift only 3 tons, so peak human could be 2 tons.

Yeah, okay, but what kind of leverage does he need to do that? Can he lift it like "lifting" it? As in picking it up? I don't know.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 05:25 PM
Deadline

Yeah, okay, but what kind of leverage does he need to do that? Can he lift it like "lifting" it? As in picking it up? I don't know.

Dunno man. Im just looking at Caps showings and the defintion of peak human.

*trys to picture Cap lifting up a car*

On second thoughts...maybe he couldnt lift up a car but he could lift up the same equivalent weight in another form.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 05:30 PM
Scoobless
sselboocS

tipped doesnt count. stick out tongue

Well I still had to lift a lot of its weight in order to tip it

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 06:03 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

While Marvel probably means "lifting" as in "military-pressing,"

What like lying on your back

Military press: standing overhead press. Lying on your back would be bench-pressing. You can BP at least 50% more weight than in a MP.

Platform lift...er..legs and back again?

A platform rests on racks and loaded with weight. You get under it and press your whole back against it. Your legs are bent at about a 110-degree angle; all you gotta do is straighten your legs. You have much better leverage than with a squat or deadlift.

Using a backlift, Cap could definitely lift a car, no problem.

A good show to watch is "World's Strongest Man" competition. What some of these guys do is truly amazing, like The Farmer's Walk. Imagine carrying two suitcases (one in each hand, 'natch), each weighing your bodyweight and then trying to do a 50-yrd dash (the competitors typically weigh at or over 300 lbs).

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 06:04 PM
AcousticDoc

Didn't daredevil lift a limo?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 07:26 PM
AcousticDoc is currently offline Click here to Send AcousticDoc a Private Message Find more posts by AcousticDoc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by AcousticDoc
Didn't daredevil lift a limo?

No he rolled it over.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 07:29 PM
Deadline

It also seems that enhanced can be the same as peak human because....

Kang

While Kang does not possess super-human abilities per se, he appears to be on a strength and endurance level roughly similar to Captain America, as he is able to take him on in a fairly evenly matched battle- this suggests at least some enhancement.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2006 04:06 PM