KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » World War Z: An oral history of the zombie war

World War Z: An oral history of the zombie war
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

World War Z: An oral history of the zombie war

Really good account of what would happen if the dead were to rise! Fantastic read

anyone checked it out?

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2009 04:18 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

i read the authors other book "The Zombie Survival Guide" and loved it
im really thinking about buying this one next time i get some movey

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2009 05:20 PM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

I thought the book was fantastic.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2009 04:41 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I just got the book today as a birthday gift and just started it about 30 minutes ago, so far it's great. Very excited about reading the rest.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2009 01:44 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Great book. It has some of the creepiest scenes I've ever read before.

I'm very interested to see how they are going to pull the movie off.

Old Post May 11th, 2009 11:53 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Yay!

New zombie survival fan here.

Both World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks are brilliant. They will be making a movie based on WWZ soon I believe.

Heres the concept art for the film:

(please log in to view the image)

I've also got them both as audiobooks, also very nice voice acting. Even includes legends like Mark Hamill!

This site has a pretty cool yet unfinished (so far 7 episodes) set of audio (pretty much audiobooks) podcasts, that you can also download to listen. Be sure to check it out if you're a hardcore zombie fan.

http://www.darkerprojects.com/aliveinside.php

I know this is specifically the 'WWZ' thread, but if anyone knows of similiar good works, please tell me!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2009 02:11 PM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I don't think there are any other works like this. The Zombie genre is overall very underused, but I could recommend taking a look at the Walking Dead comic.

Funny thing, everytime I hear something about North Korea in the news my mind races back to what happened to North korea in WWZ, entire population simply vanished, imagining millions of Zombies trapped underground.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2009 04:22 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jun 12th, 2009 10:34 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Khan

Re:

I think we almost made a graphic adaptation out of that novel smile

Old Post Jun 12th, 2009 11:40 PM
The_Khan is currently offline Click here to Send The_Khan a Private Message Find more posts by The_Khan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

i bought this a couple of months ago but havent been able to finish reading it for some reason
i think i just got sidetracked by getting back into book club and reading other things plus writing

its awesome though[the parts that ive read] i like the beginning where the people recount their first encounters with the zombies

Old Post Oct 16th, 2009 01:16 PM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm reading Zombie Survival Guide at the moment, then I have World War Z to move onto. smile

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 05:20 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flameback
Pathology

Great to read all the positive reviews. "World War Z" is one of the many books on my long "must read" list. Here's hoping to get to it before the movie comes out...

"I ain't no fraggin' hero. I'm th' main man. I booze.
I womanize. I swear. An' I beat th' living crap outta
anybody I fraggin' feel like."
- Lobo

Old Post May 14th, 2010 05:33 AM
Flameback is currently offline Click here to Send Flameback a Private Message Find more posts by Flameback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

I like it, along with Pride, Prejudice and Zombies, this is the only book I own. It's neat, I'm not much of a book person at all, but I'm trying to finish this one.

Old Post May 14th, 2010 07:54 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flameback
Pathology

I got "Pride, Prejudice & Zombies" too. Just shows that about anything can be good by simply adding zombies! laughing out loud

"I ain't no fraggin' hero. I'm th' main man. I booze.
I womanize. I swear. An' I beat th' living crap outta
anybody I fraggin' feel like."
- Lobo

Old Post May 14th, 2010 06:32 PM
Flameback is currently offline Click here to Send Flameback a Private Message Find more posts by Flameback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

did anyone read The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks?

Old Post May 14th, 2010 07:01 PM
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Fantastic book, Brooks took his inspiration from post-WW2 reports and interviews and ran with it within the zombie aspect. It's very insightful and layered, and most of all very realistic. Brooks did a lot of research on many levels and it shows.
A clever must-read for the horror fanatics

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 11:30 PM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rascaduanok
any% speedrunner

I actually read this book long before the Zombie Survival Guide. As great as the latter reads, my favourite bits in it featured the Zombie ‘sightings’ throughout history. Since World War Z consists of nothing but such tales, I love it totally.

I read it a long time ago, but even then one story sticks out in my mind: the one about the female pilot. Magnificent.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2010 11:00 PM
Rascaduanok is currently offline Click here to Send Rascaduanok a Private Message Find more posts by Rascaduanok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

quote: (post)
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
did anyone read The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks?

Yeah loved it. Very clever way of immersing zombies into history.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2010 12:28 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rascaduanok
any% speedrunner

Was that simply an illustrated version of the zombie tales and sightings from The Zombie Survival Guide book itself?

Last edited by Rascaduanok on Sep 17th, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2010 10:39 AM
Rascaduanok is currently offline Click here to Send Rascaduanok a Private Message Find more posts by Rascaduanok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindset

I finally got around to reading this - and its fantastic. I would recommend this to others here. Its NOT your typical Zombie Survival genre, it also has large elements of espionage, military, terrorism etc. In short, its pretty awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2010 05:28 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote