KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » UK Poverty Line

UK Poverty Line
Started by: miss_swann

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
miss_swann
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

UK Poverty Line

So today, we moved back to our own house in Kensington. And I went round to my best friends house (who now only lives 2 doors down again! woop!) and this boy from his school was there (he goes to the same school as my brother) and his mum was at a dinner party at ours a few weeks ago. Anyways he was chatting about his brother who's in Cambridge and how his flat in below the poverty line and I was like wtf? His parents are (probably) as rich as mine if he goes to the same school as my brother, how the eff is his brothers flat below the poverty line? And I asked, and he was like, well isn't your house below the povert line? And I said no. Then he said to be above the poverty line you need to have central heating, and my mum said your house didn't have central heating because your house is a listed building.Then I realised that even though both my parents make over a million per year I live below the poverty line. Wtf? How does this work? Does this mean EVERYONE living in a listed building lives below the poverty line?

Does anyone think that this is really stupid?

I can't make sigs, Silent Dreams can.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 02:44 PM
miss_swann is currently offline Click here to Send miss_swann a Private Message Find more posts by miss_swann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Re: UK Poverty Line

quote: (post)
Originally posted by miss_swann
So today, we moved back to our own house in Kensington. And I went round to my best friends house (who now only lives 2 doors down again! woop!) and this boy from his school was there (he goes to the same school as my brother) and his mum was at a dinner party at ours a few weeks ago. Anyways he was chatting about his brother who's in Cambridge and how his flat in below the poverty line and I was like wtf? His parents are (probably) as rich as mine if he goes to the same school as my brother, how the eff is his brothers flat below the poverty line? And I asked, and he was like, well isn't your house below the povert line? And I said no. Then he said to be above the poverty line you need to have central heating, and my mum said your house didn't have central heating because your house is a listed building.Then I realised that even though both my parents make over a million per year I live below the poverty line. Wtf? How does this work? Does this mean EVERYONE living in a listed building lives below the poverty line?

1.) What is this a family history story?

2.) What is this a story where you are bragging about your parents money?

3.) Why would you automatically assume that the parents pay everything for their kids?

4.) Yes it is stupid, if it's true. But I highly doubt that it is true.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 02:53 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

We're the UK. To us, poverty is anyone who can't afford a horse, a 3 story building, and can play croquet.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 02:55 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

I don't know about there, but here in the States they just lowered the "Middle Class" standards to include some of the lower class. This really sucks because it's deceiving by lowering the standards.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 02:56 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anaconda
Jukebox

quote:
We're the UK. To us, poverty is anyone who can't afford a horse, a 3 story building, and can play croquet.
how Posh

never argue with an idiot, they only drag you down to their level and beat you by experience

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 02:59 PM
anaconda is currently offline Click here to Send anaconda a Private Message Find more posts by anaconda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by anaconda
how Posh
Are my new personal troll? If so, it's bad...for you.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 03:07 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 03:08 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Originally posted by lord xyz

And own atleast one bowler hat.

By definition i'm under the Australian poverty line because as an apprentice i earn under $200 a week.

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 08:39 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by tabby999
And own atleast one bowler hat.

By definition i'm under the Australian poverty line because as an apprentice i earn under $200 a week.
Or just can't afford to make your own beer and drink it everyday.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 10:01 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Slugszzzzzzzzzz

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 10:05 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah that is really stupid.

The rich/poor divide must be so big its screwed if that is what the rich folks're now classing as the poverty line here.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 10:19 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Don't watch the news, I already know how the system works.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 10:25 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

You know that I find most disturbing? You being anorexic while having millionaire parents.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 10:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Cos you can buy food and that.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 10:38 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
You know that I find most disturbing? You being anorexic while having millionaire parents.
She's probably blonde aswell.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 11:13 PM
Wascally Wabbit
Restricted

Account Restricted

Whirly?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 11:21 PM
Wascally Wabbit is currently offline Click here to Send Wascally Wabbit a Private Message Find more posts by Wascally Wabbit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Cos you can buy food and that.

No, obviously not just that simple, you chronic masturbator.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 17th, 2007 06:16 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Originally posted by lord xyz
Or just can't afford to make your own beer and drink it everyday.

To be honest i'd get more support from welfare if i quit my job and did just that, they actually told me so...well not the beer part but if i quit my job...still not good.

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Sep 17th, 2007 11:06 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

So, even though your parents make millions, you are somehow allowed to be at the computer mixing with the people of lower class than you.

Don't you have dinner parties to do with Lord Evans and other philanthropists?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Sep 17th, 2007 12:12 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Block. Of. Text. Very. Hard. To read.

Random kids are not usually athorities on where the poverty line is, just fyi.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2007 12:15 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote