KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Accenuate the positive

Accenuate the positive
Started by: willofthewisp

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Accenuate the positive

Okay, ladies. It's the holidays and we have a lot to be happy about, and as much as I've enjoyed the occasional AWE bashing...this is a thread to list reasons why we're getting/watching the dvd in the first place.

1. Elizabeth: she's not only a pirate in this one, but a pirate leader! Talk about cool. It's very rare that a woman, much less a young person, gets to give the motivational speech right before war, so we can celebrate her leadership.

2. The music. You won't believe this, but I was walking around on base the other day, and a formation was marching and they were singing "Hoist the Colors." How about that? The music is just so dramatic and fitting and really compliments the music from the first two movies.

3. Barbossa! If Barbossa was in DMC, it would have been just about perfect.

4. Will: Honestly, he's the most likable in this movie. He's embracing piracy, outpirating all of them. I think he comes into his own in this one and it's nice to see him grow up from the kid with the buckled shoes to the captain of the Flying Dutchman.

5. Comedy: Although this is the darkest POTC movie, it's actually the funniest also. Gibbs with a teddy bear? Everyone shooting at each other only to see their guns are water-logged? Pintel telling Jack and Barbossa to shut up? Egregious? Fun stuff.

6. The Unintentional Comedy: Come on. AWE has some definite cheesiness. There are things to laugh about that I'm sure T&T never wanted us to laugh at.

7. Swords! It's POTC. The action is astounding and beautiful and our trio never looked better fighting.

8. Hidden sparrabeth: It's so fun to see these two think they've put their feelings behind them, but watch for the stolen glances, the little bouts of respect and attraction.

9. James and Elizabeth kiss! It's almost, almost as seductive and forbidden as her and Jack kissing. It's a beautiful scene that stays with you.

10. Simple continuity: You just can't end POTC with DMC. There's too much at stake. At least AWE closes it up. We have closure and there is a bunch of fun after AWE we can have making up whatever we want.

Why will you guys watch AWE?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 11:35 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Ah, fun! smile So true. I will undoubtedly be watching and enjoying AWE during the break at some point... some of these may be overlaps of yours:

1. Will: yes, indeed. Really, mostly in the Tea Scene when he is dangling the compass and trying to be like Jack. I love that he can keep his nerve around Beckett AND Jones. And I love to see Orlando smile once in a while. Now, if I could only convince him to wash his hair...

2. The computer animation. FABULOUS. I becoming more and more impressed by the scenes they put together--- the cold icy place, the ship sailing through the stars, the whirlpool. Talk about soundstage magic.

3. The dead kraken scene. a masterful scene, in every way.

4. music, also. though there were parts i definitely DIDNT like, the over-arching intense epic Asian-esque bits really grew on me and i love hearing them now.

5. plot holes--- actually provide a fun way to try and figure stuff out and let your imagination wander in various directions.

6. Jack's ending: it has also really grown on me. I am understanding it differently, as he sails out of this adventure and into a new one. I think I appreciate his character more for being able to remain multi-dimensional without a tradition film arc.

7. Pirate Brethren. Love it. I could watch it over and over--- for the costumes, the little mannerisms, etc. Every one of those pirate lords put serious work into their characters, and it shows. the whole of shipwreck cove is just brilliant.

8. Beckett. I LOVE HIM. smile

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 12:08 AM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

1. Captain Jack Sparrow returns from the dead. I was just glad he was all well and back in action

2. Sparrbosa is the best rivalry around and it was great to see more scenes with them trying to one up each other even if they were a tad silly.

3. Will and Elizabeth consumate their marriage on the beach. I was happy that Will was happy anyway. He had really grown on me this installment to where he is one of my faves.

4. Captain Jack Maintains His Freedom. I was so happy with the way things ended for him...except I wish Barbosa hadn't escaped with the Black Pearl

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 12:29 AM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
IheartPocky
Not a sausage..

1. It's Pirates!

2. Music is awesome.

3. I love the effects. It's just so beautiful. *tear*

4. I love the part after they go over the waterfall and they play audio from the ride.

5. I love all the Chinese stuff.

Really, the only things that made me unhappy about it was the Giant Tia scene and the ending. But the ending grew on me, too All that's left that I don't like is Calypso...

6. I love jack!

7. Elizabeth is so kick butt! haha But yeah she is so cool and the fact that a skinny little girl like her can be a tough pirate is great.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 12:32 AM
IheartPocky is currently offline Click here to Send IheartPocky a Private Message Find more posts by IheartPocky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sailorleo
Mrs. Admiral Norrington

The Norrington: He was all hot and sexy, and AWESOME! ....*till he kinda, went...all....dead....* sad

The Action: That's one thing T&T know how to do *seems about it as of late*

Norrie+Sailor= Happiness !bunny
Banner by Sailorleo *me*

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 05:47 AM
sailorleo is currently offline Click here to Send sailorleo a Private Message Find more posts by sailorleo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lovethemtigers

Well...I don't know when I will buy it.....

anyways...the only reason I want to see it again....

1. To see Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow one last time.
2. To see the Brethren Court Scene.
3. To see the Parlay scene between the Pirates and the EITC
4. To see Jack sword fight with Davy up on the mast.
5. To see Jack and Lizzy soar above the Dutchman in the Parachute Scene.
6. To see jack Sparrow.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 02:49 PM
lovethemtigers is currently offline Click here to Send lovethemtigers a Private Message Find more posts by lovethemtigers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

haha, here's some more...

1. to get inspired to watch the first two again, which i enjoy more anyways.

2. to get inspired to seriously twist up the plot in a fanfic

3. to search out those hidden Ah-ha! moments

4. to thank my stars Johnny Depp isn't actually as pale as he appears to be in sweeney todd.

5. to watch Elizabeth's character progression

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 03:32 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

1. To see Multiple Jacks

2. To see Jack Shirtless and imagine dirrty thoughts.

3. To see the stolen glances between Jack and Lizzie

4. To torture myself over and over with the "It would have never worked out between us," "Keep tellin' yourself that darling" scene.

5. To watch Jack's reaction when Will gets stabbed!

6. To watch the anticipation grow in the moment where Jack is waiting for the Dutchman and it's new Captain to come and help them save the Pirates.

7. To torture myself with the Parachute scene over and over again.

8. To watch parley scene.

9. To watch the Bloopers.

10. To watch Jack and Borbossa deleted scene.

11. To watch the scene where they all see Jack in the Locker for the first time!!

12. TO watch JACK, JACK and more JACK!!!

13. to watch Jack tell off Giselle and Scarlett.

14. To watch the Malestorm scene (love rain)

15. To watch Keith Richards.

i know some have been said already! lol

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Last edited by PirateDiva on Dec 20th, 2007 at 07:55 PM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 07:51 PM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

Good thread! All happy.

1. To see Jack being Jack
2. Humor!
3. To see Elizabeth's character progress
4.To torture myself with Sparrabeth scenes
5. To pick out the great quotes
6. The great music!
7.To watch Jack/Barbossa act like old grannies
8.Dead Kraken scene
9. I've always loved Jack's ending. Even though I so badly wanted that JE scene for closure. I like the idea of Jack chasing his ship, freedom and immortality
10. Parlay and brethren court scene
11. To see Jack vote Elizabeth
12. To see Will trying to think like Jack in the tea party scene
13. To see Jack admitting to himself that he must think like the whelp
14. See Jack save Lizzie and Willy

Freedom...

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 04:10 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Did you just call Will Willy????/ that was AMAZING! hahahaha....

Old Post Dec 31st, 2007 01:52 AM
texgodiva2s
IyamwhatIyam

So sweetest, wildest, wily, spirited piratistas, I find AWE yes a big DITTO on any and all that's been said with:

Elisabeth's look at Jack when she states, "King."

The hot worship, 20 ways to Sunday, Is you is my baby?, honeymoon scene--for a variety of reasons, smell being the foremost one. Ain't nothing like being on the beach!

Jack's face when he looks at Barbossa and says the "we're proof...about coming back" and Barbossa says "exception to the rule" (wildly paraphrased)

The sailing through the stars scene--big sigh.

Wondering for what reason Giselle might have tried to use egregious

the hot weird moment when Tia Dalma says "don't say you didn't have fun at the time" In what might they have been engaged?!!

And the bestest, becos of Pirates, all of You--I have the bestest pirate movie in the universe, becos there isn't any last scene and there are lots and lots of unique looks and glances, and defining words, and love, unrequited, overtly expressed, generally shared with a minimum of tension--Aha moments when you just want to be able to hug that person, Savvy who trademarked that procedure, and Jaeh to finish Take all you can...generosity of spirit and brilliance, feeds my pirate soul in an everlasting if I live to be 112 kinda way. Been real fine to play here wit'cha, each and all.

The KMC/Pirates is more than boards or posts, signatures or avatars, ships or threads, agreeing to disagree or LOL, LMAO--this ship is freedom. Happy New Year, Piratistas and blackeyed peas, if you please--do those things you love on the first day of the new year so you'll be doing them all year long--smilie for fireworks temp. unavailable--but you know what it looks like!!

Siggy by Savvy wink

Old Post Dec 31st, 2007 09:44 PM
texgodiva2s is currently offline Click here to Send texgodiva2s a Private Message Find more posts by texgodiva2s Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

quote: (post)
Originally posted by texgodiva2s

Wondering for what reason Giselle might have tried to use egregious

so true!!! i never thought about that... there's more to that strumpet than meets the eye. lol.

i've said this before, but i also LOVE that moment when Tia Dalma is like "dont tell me you didn't enjoy it at the time," And Jack giggles... the two of them have AMAZING chemistry. their faces are hilarious.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2007 10:31 PM
ibd4eva
Ivebeendepped 4 ever!

1. to see Johnny as the sexiest Jack he's ever been
2. to see Norrington (especially that SEXY kiss)
3. to see Beckett and especially to hear him say "Bloddy hell, there's nothing left!"

that sums it up 4 me :-)

"Get that out of my face." "It's not in your face, it's in my hand." "Get what's in your hand out of my face." <3 set by yours truly

Old Post Dec 31st, 2007 10:54 PM
ibd4eva is currently offline Click here to Send ibd4eva a Private Message Find more posts by ibd4eva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

ah wait... I forgot what is probably my favorite line in the entire series... (thats an exaggeration but you know what i mean)

after Elizabeth has given her "hoist the colours" speech, Gibbs steps in and says "The wind's on our side, boys, that's all we need!" and everyone starts cheering--- that line is AMAZING, it gives me chills every time...

Old Post Jan 1st, 2008 06:53 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Ah, finally watched it for the second time. There are so many things you may easily have missed the first time, just like the first two movies.

1. Barbossa actually does the reach-across with his arm for Elizabeth in the Singapore scene. You may remember your mom doing this in the car when you're in the passenger seat and she stops abruptly. He went from wanting to spill her blood over a bunch of coins to looking out for her. Aw.

2. Sao Feng's details. The details of his costume and makeup are amazing. I don't find him attractive, but I could look at him for hours just trying to figure out every little bit of him, especially the interesting scars on the side of his head. Chow Yun Fat/Yun Fat Chow really shined in this brief role of his. He was definitely underused.

3. The whole scene with Will and Liz below decks where she finally comes clean about everything. "You thought I loved him." Well, babe, we ALL did. It really is a parallel to their below decks scene where he bandages her hand in the first movie. Then it was a fledgling romance where Elizabeth was taking control, having Will's hand move down her body. Maybe had the more risque version been shown, I would have been a willabether. Anyways, now their relationship is on the rocks and Will is backing her into a wall...er...bulkhead. It's fun to find parallels with the other movies.

4. Oh my gosh! The hidden but oh so there unrequited love Beckett has for Jack. That man can't get close enough or strut enough around Jack. I said before the whole series should be called "Everybody Loves Lizzie," but it really is Everybody Loves Jack. Watch how close Beckett gets to him, practically whispering in his ear when he wants the information about Shipwreck Cove. Beckett's a real badass in this movie and my mom commented how happy she was to see him die, but I think the mark Jack left on Beckett was a broken heart. Also notice when Jack points out the compass will not point to the pirates but to himself. He makes sure to wipe out any gay context and add "dead" to the sentence. Classic.

5. Okay, Kate, not everyone has brown eyes. Beckett and Gibbs have light colored eyes and I'm pretty sure James does too. Barbossa might also. It's only confirmed that Tia Dalma and our trio have brown eyes.

6. Tia Dalma's costume. She's my least favorite character, but it's in this movie, especially when they're trying to capsize the ship, that you can see just how gorgeous her dress is and how pretty she is.

7. Will's hard-on. I didn't notice it the first time because I was so enthralled with Liz's motivational speech. I kept thinking, "Jeez he's not worthy of her. Jack should be hearing this." But this second time, I was amused because Will's face looks like he's suppressing a hard-on. I guess he likes his women powerful.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2008 02:32 AM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
texgodiva2s
IyamwhatIyam

Okay...now there's a pretty picture doncha know!! PiDiva tweaked me on that one--won't Never feel the same way about Hoist Your Colors--it was a fine speech

Gets me all hot and bothered about the Marry me, I don't think...he tells her I've made my choice and she is staring 1000 mile eyes through Will, then yells BARBOSSA--his face is a study and a half--so twisted and then absolutely beaming.

Also, Barbossa's fabulous--let's make war on The Flying Dutchman--let's kick and take names--speech where he is whipping everyone into a frenzy about what next on the Malestrom battle.

Also, his unique wedding ceremony--Dearly Beloved....the boy's got the gift of gab--and all the while murdering this one or that. Barbossa can be very engaging.

Beckett--icky--tiny twerp--Miz Kateloves, really you understand him in that 'special' way? Not with someone else's body parts......icky. sick blink

Siggy by Savvy wink

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2008 04:39 AM
texgodiva2s is currently offline Click here to Send texgodiva2s a Private Message Find more posts by texgodiva2s Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Hahahaha... no i love the character of Beckett, and i ADORE Tom Hollander. I think he's brilliant and has amazing range as an actor. And whenever Beckett is onscreen, I am smiling. But not anything romantic. lol. Same with Barbossa... some of my favorite characters to watch, but not as a fangirl. lol.

ditto to everything you said Willo---- It is SO TRUE that Beckett seriously gets into everyone's personal space, and especially Jack's... it's all going back to my theory of "kissing distance" and how putting two characters within "kissing distance" is just trouble. lol.

I don't think Beckett wants to see Jack dead at all. They have WAYYYY too much fun together. Between the fan and the tossing and the backstory we never get to see or even hear references too, it makes no sense why Beckett hates Jack... and I really don't think he does. lol.

Will's hard on? Never noticed it... I tend to think of him in a sort of androgynous way... watching him kiss is like watching Elizabeth make out with a wet cabbage patch doll or something. but I'll have to go back and check it out. I do love his line "how can I trust you?" during the bulwark/pillar/below decks scene... if they would have let that scene go on for two more minutes, I agree I might have been a bit more understanding of the end of the film.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2008 05:14 AM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Well, you don't actually see anything going on below his face, but just watch him. Lol.

Hmm, so are we going to assume then, Kate, that Beckett actually admired Jack's rebelliousness when he branded him a pirate and the whole "opposites attract" just built up into an obsession with the enigmatic pirate? I'm not slash-y in any way, but their relationship does intrigue me. I really wish they had gone into it more, primarily explaining the mark Jack left on Beckett rather than having us guess.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2008 02:09 AM
katelovespirate

haha... yeah there are a million backstory opportunities they just didn't have time for i guess.

i dont think beckett is sexually attracted to jack--- he seems much too turned on by Elizabeth's shenanigans in film 2. why is he the one who can obviously smell the heat between her and jack? lol. I think he just really admires Jack and weirdly wants to be like him, wants to prove himself Jack's superior somehow. so yeah, i think there's a sense of obsession there, but not in a slashy way. sort of in a, peter pan constantly outwitting captain hook, who is obsessed with trying to beat peter, way.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2008 02:48 AM
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

Oh yes! Agree with the Jack/Beckett relationship. And WHY is he the one who keeps mentioning Jack to Liz and Liz to Jack? Oh well.

I must say another reason I liked it was some of the one of a kind lines.

Also I realized -as tex said- that I owe it to KMC and you guys.

In a way it wasn't AWE itself that was fun but everything that led up to it. All the talks, jokes and laughs. Speculating, finding out rumors and talking. So it wasn't really about just the movie but something on a wider scale. For me-for US- the movie didn't start with hanging pirates. It started with little whispers of rumors. "Singapore? Singapore you say? There's going to be a kid playing Jack in a flashback? No?! Lizzie's baby you say? Who does it look like?! Be honest now. CRABS???? JE kissing in the cove? YAY! Oh they don't? NO!!" and then then the mood swings. "I'm positive it's going to be good even if the ending isn't JE. NO! AWE IS GONNA SUCK!! I can't take it."

Good times! And I think now every time I watch AWE at the back of my mind I'm thinking of a discussion that went on here or a joke that no one I'm watching with would get but you guys would. example: Maybe if Jack had some Orbit this wouldn't have happened? I wonder if the goat's name is Icky? Or even the famous "What has the world done to you James?"
KMC GIRLS AND SAILOR: MADE ME SEXY!!!

Freedom...

Old Post Jan 4th, 2008 03:47 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote