KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Jeph Loeb must be doing something good...

Jeph Loeb must be doing something good...
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Jeph Loeb must be doing something good...

Well, Jeph writing has been compare to Liefeld's artwork (that bad) but the man somehow makes the money.

Qty Rank Retail Rank Index Description Price Ven

1 1 110.74 ULTIMATUM #1 (Of 5)* $3.99 MAR
2 2 100.00 BATMAN #681 RIP* $3.99 DC
3 6 88.00 HULK #8* $2.99 MAR
4 7 86.19 WOLVERINE #69 $2.99 MAR
5 9 75.40 UNCANNY X-MEN #504 MD $2.99 MAR

As you can see his books took first and third place....Sooooo...how do ya explain this?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:09 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

What do those numbers mean? And where can you find that stuff, seems like cool information.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:13 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Well, Jeph writing has been compare to Liefeld's artwork (that bad) but the man somehow makes the money.

As you can see his books took first and third place....Sooooo...how do ya explain this?

the fact that uncanny x-men is in the top five lessens my faith in the comic buying public...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:14 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Raoul
the fact that uncanny x-men is in the top five lessens my faith in the comic buying public...

I can let X-men slide...because it is a popular title....but Loeb's books?

Am I missing something here? Has he really become that GOOD of a writer?

I'm CONFUZZLED! wacko

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:16 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Re: Jeph Loeb must be doing something good...

People like crap... sick Just like American cars...they make a lot of noise, goes fast, cheap but bad on gas and quality.

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Dec 15th, 2008 at 07:19 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:17 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Probably the same reason Batman R.I.P is in there also...people like to watch train wrecks and bloody car accidents confused

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:18 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Re: Re: Jeph Loeb must be doing something good...

Originally posted by Anti-Monitor
People like crap... sick

This.

Rob Liefeld drawn books have always sold well too.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:18 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

I can let X-men slide...because it is a popular title....but Loeb's books?

Am I missing something here? Has he really become that GOOD of a writer?

I'm CONFUZZLED! wacko

I hate Ultimatum/Ultimates.....but i like the Hulk title alot...i have liked it from the start.

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:19 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

The Hulk book is fun. Mindless fun, yes, but still fun to read. It probably has fairly broad appeal. Ultimatum is the first in a series so it gets a boost just from people being curious.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:33 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

comic book fans that like good stories are not the majority buyers in the market.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:48 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Reading Ultimatum. New theory: Loeb has been replaced by Mightygodking.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:55 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

While the average age of readers is slightly higher, the mode is assuredly about 15-16, which is where the large majority of Marvel's readership lies. Loeb appeals to the teenage fanboys who love a good action story, but aren't prepared to appreciate nuance. Most kids don't get into comics to read Neil Gaiman, for example. They start picking up comics to see Hulk smash things, and the like.

There are exceptions, of course, but there's a reason we call them exceptions.

So he will continue writing, and continue doing well, simply because he appeals to a fairly large demographic that Marvel wishes to target.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 09:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I don't really keep up with current monthlies of DC or Marvel, but I recall that the things by Loeb I read, I kinda liked...some of it is certainly more style than substance, but why do you guys dislike him o much?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:10 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

All of his characters are childishly overpowered, he only has a few basic plots most of the time, and he generally doesn't try to write much except beat-em-up slobberknockers. Occasionally cool, but never deeper than a middle school student's daydreams.

Here's a fun rant I stole from Scoobless's profile. Neither he nor I wrote it, but it's pretty funny, and encapsulates a lot of peoples' feelings well.

It was written just before the last few issues of Red Hulk:

quote:
The Red Hulk is essentially Loeb doing what he did when he wrote Supergirl. It's let's say 80% likely he'll have the Red Hulk wipe his butt with the entire Marvel U, then the Green Hulk will come along and beat him on sheer power despite previously having seemed weaker. This will demonstrate it is the Green Hulk who is more powerful than the entire Marvel universe, ignoring anything a lot of characters might have previously shown themselves to be capable of in the process. After all, if the Red Hulk beats everybody and then the Green Hulk beats
him anyway, that must mean the Green Hulk is more powerful than everybody.

The only reason the Green Hulk might not do so yet is that the Red Hulk, even with his imminent beatdown of Thor, hasn't beat up enough of the more powerful figures of the setting yet for the Green Hulk to conclusively show he's better than all of them by showing he's more powerful than the Red Hulk.

Loeb had Supergirl seem initially far more powerful than his pet favourite character at the time, Superman, and she went on to chump out, show up and completely outperform the JSA and JLA alike, adding in doing things like breaking Superboy's jaw with a punch. Then Superman demonstrated he had in fact been more powerful than her all along, of course meaning that it is Superman who is also more powerful than everyone Supergirl had shown up in the interim.

The people who complain or like to think they're making a point about the Red Hulk's accomplishments being ignored are strangely the people who themselves ignore and deride things like Superman under Loeb being a multiversal nexus being who's nigh unlimited power is held back only by his own mental blocks, and who can wipe out armies of beings that can otherwise destroy planets. And other writers working off of that guideline giving him reality warping "T-Vo" powers. Its all stupid beyond belief and highly inconsistent. It's hard to take those stories seriously as having any sort of validity as a result.

Loeb when writing non limited series has become a particularly hacky, crappy writer who only really has a limited number of plots, in which the characters are interchangeable. Whoever he is currently writing as his main character generally is the most powerfulest ever, and has to be the most powerfulest ever, and he seems to not be able to write a character without writing them that way, which has led to of all things stuff like Captain America knocking out the Hulk with some minor help from Spiderman. Characters he writes then inevitably come off as far more powerful than normal. The characters are filling in a position in the guy's generic all purpose (and honestly lazy) plot arc he carries with him from character to character. So yeah, the Red Hulk is overrated. Sure, he's going to beat the snot out of Thor, but then the Green Hulk will beat him anyway.

The main thing the Red Hulk is going to humiliatingly beat up Thor after an extended fight, and then the Green Hulk will probably return and beat him up. And thus we are supposed to accept his supposedly unstoppable power level. It's hard to be impressed or think something is cool when it's a lazy writer using the same plot he had before, and just changing the names.

Superman can not simply beat Wonder Woman, but shatter her *unbreakable* and at that *magically unbreakable* bracelets with a punch ignoring all established facts and ignoring his problems with magic to begin with and then hang her to death with her own lasso as if she doesn't have a chance against him. Oh, and that's after he just beat up a Green Lantern who was channeling not only his own willpower but the willpower of millions.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:17 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Hmm, I guess, I only read the first 8-10 issues of Superman/Batman, which I didn't find too bad, I thought Hush was a pretty good story and I really, really, really liked The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, they were awesome. But that might be too little to really judge him and I can see how that would be pretty annoying if he did do that.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:31 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

In the same way I'd explain that your favourite Batman storyline of all time, RIP, made it as well roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:36 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Bardock42
Hmm, I guess, I only read the first 8-10 issues of Superman/Batman, which I didn't find too bad, I thought Hush was a pretty good story and I really, really, really liked The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, they were awesome. But that might be too little to really judge him and I can see how that would be pretty annoying if he did do that.

his son died not so long ago... that seemed to coincide with his descent into shittyville...

loeb was a great superman writer for years, his stuff is some of my favourite superman stuff...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Re: Jeph Loeb must be doing something good...

Once again DigiMark007 (hehehe....) brings another illuminating post.

Originally posted by willRules
In the same way I'd explain that your favourite Batman storyline of all time, RIP, made it as well roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

You know something...why is it that the it is always the over-hyped Batman stories that sell the most? Batman and Robin All Star sold pretty good...but Batman Confidential rarely goes anywhere.....this is a case even the World's Greatest Detective can't solve.

wink

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:47 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

his son died not so long ago... that seemed to coincide with his descent into shittyville...

loeb was a great superman writer for years, his stuff is some of my favourite superman stuff...
Yep, I think his son was his ghostwriter, or at least someone that would throw in imput, or someone to bounce ideas off of. I even felt his DC books were going to shit around that time too.

Although, even in his 'good' stories, he left behind a mess another writer would have take a handful of issues just to clean up before telling their story, I always hated that.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:48 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Oh right, he wrote Superman for all seasons.

That was actually an enjoyable Superman comic.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 10:48 PM