KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Prop 8 battle in California

Prop 8 battle in California
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

Prop 8 battle in California

You may be aware, but there's a battle going on in California at the moment over the ruling on Gay Marriage, Prop 8. This is an excerpt from the trial.

In short, the head of the American Institute for Family Values basically says that [hetero]Polygamy is ok(because it's not really polygamy?), but gay-marriage is not.

'Boies' is the attorney for the No on 8 folk, 'DB' is David Blankenhorn, the head of the American Institute for Family Values:

-Boies: What percentage of marriages over the last 300 years have been limited to two people, in your judgment?

-DB: The way that I and many other scholars have looked at this, almost all marriage is limited to two people. If I may cut to the chase, I believe that perhaps…I’m sorry I thought you wanted me to pause. If you want me to cut to chase and talk about polygamy and polyamorie.

-Boies: You are aware that there have been far more polygamous marriages than marriages of two people?

-DB: 83% of societies permit polygamy. Very different issues as to how many marriages are polygamous. Still have marriages between two people.

-Boies. Is it your judgment that prior to the last 100 years in China and India there were many polygamous marriages?

-DB: Yes, but I need to answer with another statement.

-Boies: Keep it short.

-DB: In those societies, men would still marry one woman at a time. A rich man would then marry other women, but each woman is a separate marriage, so it’s still one man and one woman.

-Boies: Are you aware of any marriages that take place with one man and more than one woman at the same time?

-DB: No.

-Boies: Is it your testimony that the only instances where woman marries more than one man is when woman marries two brothers?

-DB: I can’t answer yes or no.

Boies: I’m just asking you if that is your testimony?

-DB: If you’d let me answer instead of arguing, we’d be done. I just need 15 seconds.

-DBoies: Go! (Looks at watch)

(Everyone laughs)

(Thirty seconds later)

-DB: How’d I do?

-Boies: Not bad!

-Boies: If you have a man who marries five wives…

-DB: He marries them one at a time. If he marries one wife, he has one. If he marries two he has two.

-Boies: And if he marries five and all of his wives live, he has five.

-DB: Yes.

-Boies: Is that consistent with your rule of two?

-DB: Based on the studies of the finest anthropologists, this fits the rule of two.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 11:34 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

What doe this have to do with Prop 8? confused

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 11:41 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Everything, Shaky, everything.

More importantly, it's humorous.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 11:54 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Everything, Shaky, everything.

So, they are trying to say that because of polygamy in the past, that the current ruling of one man one woman is invalid? The problem with that argument is that homosexuality was a death sentence in the past. If the view on homosexuality can chanced for the better, then the definition of marriage can also change for the better.

That is not my view, but...

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 11:58 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

I say the marijuana issue is more important than this.

TGFwashere

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 12:02 AM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
So, they are trying to say that because of polygamy in the past, that the current ruling of one man one woman is invalid? The problem with that argument is that homosexuality was a death sentence in the past. If the view on homosexuality can chanced for the better, then the definition of marriage can also change for the better.

That is not my view, but...

No, more so that the head of the American Institute for Marriage is a silly biased clown. Just read what he said, guy's a tool.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 12:19 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Mairuzu
I say the marijuana issue is more important than this.

It's being legalized as we speak, sir. Matter of time before you can stop fearing being thrown in a Federal pound-you-up-the-ass prison over your degenerate addiction.

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 12:21 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

hm... so this is where darth bane really got his ideals from...

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 06:33 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

He needs to go back to kindergarten. 5 =/= 2.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 06:37 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

Prop 8 is what the voters wanted, if it's overturned then let's just get rid of democracy alltogether.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 02:43 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
Prop 8 is what the voters wanted, if it's overturned then let's just get rid of democracy alltogether.

I second that! Lets get rid of it.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 02:59 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

There's something called The Constitution, maybe you've heard of it; if a law is elected that goes against that, it can/should be overturned. Not saying this is indeed the case here as undeniable fact, but it's being argued.

Would you feel the same if slavery was voted on and it passed? How about rape on Asians? Death to retards? Second-class status to women?

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 04:22 PM
Archaeopteryx

Originally posted by Robtard
There's something called The Constitution, maybe you've heard of it; if a law is elected that goes against that, it can/should be overturned. Not saying this is indeed the case here as undeniable fact, but it's being argued.

Agreed

quote:
Would you feel the same if slavery was voted on and it passed? How about rape on Asians? Death to retards? Second-class status to women?

It depends on how you look at it. I do not put the gay marriage issue on the same level as any of those. I've already made my views on the issue clear. In my view NOBODY, not just gays, should be able to legally marry. Using your argument voter approved bans on things like smoking in public places should be overturned. Illegal immigrants would no longer be illegal. Voters basically should have no voice. We should only do what government and corporations tell us to.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 04:59 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Agreed

It depends on how you look at it. I do not put the gay marriage issue on the same level as any of those. I've already made my views on the issue clear. In my view NOBODY, not just gays, should be able to legally marry. Using your argument voter approved bans on things like smoking in public places should be overturned. Illegal immigrants would no longer be illegal. Voters basically should have no voice. We should only do what government and corporations tell us to.

Good.

No, see above with your agreement, The Constitution is there to serve as "the supreme law of the land"; when it doubt if a law is legal or not, refer to it. That goes for everything you've said, from banning smoking(which can be harmful to others, I believe this is the reason) to illegal aliens.

Those against Prop-8 have a right to appeal, if it fails, then it fails. But looking into the case here and there, they're making a better case than those who support Prop-8.

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 28th, 2010 at 06:22 PM

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 06:17 PM