KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » The Merv a buddy of one of the other "Ones"

The Merv a buddy of one of the other "Ones"
Started by: MattMan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

But Hillary is still married to Bill, or was, im not too sure about those two, but anyway...The Oracle is the Mother, even Smith acknowledges that..."You would know, mom"

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Nov 9th, 2003 08:04 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

Does anyone know what the purpose of the Merv was? In addition, was good is power to a program? A third q is what happened to the Merv at the end of Rev. Was he deleted when the Matrix was re-written or does he remain? It would be interesting to see what happens to him in another Matrix media (not a movie, of course).

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 04:00 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

Crazy theory: In the very first version of the Matrix the machines tried to use a program as The One...But Merv did not go to the source and the Matrix crashed. So they had to use humans instead...

Made by the awesome BakaXero

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 04:07 AM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

quote:
Originally posted by JediHDM
the Mero is from the first iteration of the matrix...if he was a friend of a previous one, that one was pretty messed up, cause im guessing the Mero has been like this since the First Matrix fell apart.

They never say the Mero is from the first iteration of the matrix, just that he's one of the oldest - which also suggests that he is not amongst the oldest, perhaps a second or third generation program. However, I would not say that the Mero is a friend of the one, there is no reason no why in that theory. Plausably he is a previous one which would give him purpose - or he's just a program that was created in an attempt to control choice that failed and now he's exhiled in the Matrix. Either one can be argued through symbolism quotes and references, and both give a connection to a previous anomaly, his affinity for causality, and his purpose to know everything about everything as a trafficer of information.

quote:
Originally posted by HooT
THe Merovingian was the program made to discover why the first or second matrix failed he found his nature of the universe outlook said choice is a illusion and the oracle was created to fix it.

WTF?! What are you snorting? LoL I want some! The Oracle would not be the mother of the matrix, nor would she have told the Architect about choice, if the Mero was the one to come up with it!

You didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it! You're only here to understand why you made it. I would've thought you'd have figured that out by now.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you could not wake from that dream?

Who has the time? But then we can never have time if we never take time!

zorro Who was that masked man?!

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 04:13 AM
Metamorphisis is currently offline Click here to Send Metamorphisis a Private Message Find more posts by Metamorphisis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

quote:
Originally posted by The One Himself
Crazy theory: In the very first version of the Matrix the machines tried to use a program as The One...But Merv did not go to the source and the Matrix crashed. So they had to use humans instead...

Your assuming that the anomaly is placed into people - when infact it is only a by product of allowing for Choice. It is not an anomaly in Neo's digital self, his code, persay - but it is caused by the fact that his mind rejected the Matrix programming. So the Merv would not have been an attempt at creating an anomaly program, but rather, an attempt to control the choice that people make. This would explain the Mero's affinity for causeality because he was not able to control choice - which is his purpose.

It's also possible, but not probable, that the Mero is a previous anomaly, but I'm not going to get into that again since I don't even believe it!

You didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it! You're only here to understand why you made it. I would've thought you'd have figured that out by now.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you could not wake from that dream?

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 04:17 AM
Metamorphisis is currently offline Click here to Send Metamorphisis a Private Message Find more posts by Metamorphisis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

As I told..Crazy theory... Happy Dance Happy Dance

Made by the awesome BakaXero

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 04:22 AM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

We know that teh Merv's name came from a line of French kings, my q is if these kings' personalities are like the Merv's. That could explain alot.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 04:33 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Jayvin

The kings personalities are unknown because history doesn't tell us what they were like as people. But the Merovingian's did press Roman coins for Rome, so they were greedy - like the Mero, and they believed that they were direct descendants of Jesus from a daughter, Sarah, that Jesus supposedly had with Mary Magdeline. This implies a relation with an anomaly in the most direct form, leaving two distinct possibilities:

1) The Mero was a previous anomaly himself, and, out of greed and haste, he copied himself over another program inside the matrix, much like Smith does. In doing this, the anomaly's body would have died, but his digital self would live on, and he could have done this, and still completed the cycle of the Matrix (since he only made a copy of himself).

The problem is Persephone. She is, by the account of Mythology, the goddess of the underworld who was kidnapped by Hades. The anomaly - which has a reference to Jesus - cannot be Hades/Lucifer/Satan at the same time. Also, Persephone arrived with the Mero, which means that he probably loved her and brought her with him - but as the goddess of the underworld, she can't be Mary Magdeline. And, we do not have any reason to believe that the anomaly could copy another person over a program, since it was only Smith's end of the anomaly (the negative) that ever copied over anything to begin with.

2) The Mero is a program that was developed to control choice in an attempt to eliminate the anomaly. Thus, he would have a direct descention from the anomaly. Persephone, who is the daughter of Zues and Demeter in Greek myth, would be the daughter of the Oracle and the Architect in the Matrix, and was brought about strictly because of the birth of the Matrix. (Not much is known about Persephone in Greek myth, so that's as much as I can conclude with her character on that note) Since the Mero obviously could not control choice at the fundamental level - inside the human mind itself - he was marked for deletion, and ran in exhile to the Matrix. He is a trafficer of information, and, obviously, a smuggler of exhiles of sorts - which would give him strong ties to the Merovingian Kings.

I see this as the more probable possibility.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 05:52 AM
Rufo

I thought the Merovingian was a source program that oversees certain administrative programs, such as the Trainman, which is the program that shuttles programs from the source to the Matrix. Since Merv is a program that oversees other programs, he has a certain amount of power, and since his job requires him to reside in the Matrix (with humans), his personality has developed into a Mr. Big sort of character.

Two of my underlying assumptions are:
- programs have to be given human characteristics so that they can have artificial intelligence and make creative choices required by their functionality
- all the characters exist on more than one level; my explanation above may explain the nuts and bolts of who he is, but there is a lot more to him than this (ie from his name, Persephone's name, and lots of other hints)

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 04:54 PM
Rufo is currently offline Click here to Send Rufo a Private Message Find more posts by Rufo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Verity

I think Persephone was just referring to the amount of passion Mero had....not that he was a previous One!

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 10:15 PM
Verity is currently offline Click here to Send Verity a Private Message Find more posts by Verity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Rufo

That's an interesting theory but they never say that the Mero oversees anything, aside from the fact that would make him an administrative program, much like Rhama - who resides outside of the matrix.

Rather, you should look at the Mero as an exhile. And, in doing this, you can see his whole purpose. Statements that the Oracle made imply that he is, indeed, old - but he is not the oldest, just one of the oldest. So he could be a generation younger than the Oracle, or even more.

If he was a program built to govern choice, then that would explain his affinity for causality and control. His "minions" would be explained as exhiles because the Mero provides them with protection from deletion, including the trainman.

The Mero would not help exhiles if he was an administrative program designed to shuttle things back and forth from the source and the Matrix -- mainly because the programs would be marked for deletion and the Mero would wish to abide by that as an administrator. So, the train station is a shell built outside of the matrix, by the trainman, to move things back and forth between the real and the matrix, and it is being used by the Mero to protect exhiles. The trainman, being the designer of the train station, would also be an exhile if the machines did not need the use of that link anymore.

The programs have AI that give them humanistic characteristics, not the other way around. AI is just a logical process of reasoning, adapting, and learning from stimuli given to machine. Human characteristics are thus inevitable as they learn to interact.

To follow your assumptions and theory would then contradict other inferences to his character from other means. This contradiction cannot exist as they would cancel each other out in the manner of which his character reacts and flows.

Verity

I don't believe that the Mero is a previous anomaly, either. It is only an argument that can be made, however, I believe his existance is based on the existance of the anomaly. I think it's more likely he was created as an attempt to create an illusion of choice for the humans to accept the matrix programming, and thus to control the anomaly before it starts. However this programming failed because it was unable to control the fundamental processes of human thought that do not register in the matrix, so the Mero became an exhile. In this sense, the Mero is a direct descendant of the anomaly, and would follow along with all symbolism related to him.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 11:34 PM
Sifer

Hrmmm this all sounds familiar...As familiar as my theories from before Revolutions. But would anyone listen? NooOOoooOO, as usual.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2003 11:20 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
droopy1592
I got a lemon on my head!

All merv is, is a trafficker of information. He's a translator between worlds, or Operating systems. The Oracle has probably been doing a lot of things that Merv didn't like, maybe like bringing things in and out of the matrix that he didn't approve of.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2003 12:44 PM
droopy1592 is currently offline Click here to Send droopy1592 a Private Message Find more posts by droopy1592 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

quote:
Originally posted by Sifer
Hrmmm this all sounds familiar...As familiar as my theories from before Revolutions. But would anyone listen? NooOOoooOO, as usual.

Sifer - I WAS saying these things before Revo too!! I was told I was stupid for thinking that too... That it wasn't possible. Hmmm... oh well...

Old Post Nov 18th, 2003 02:36 AM