KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Which Books Had The Most Impact On You?

Which Books Had The Most Impact On You?
Started by: BOPRecruit 16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 6 7 [8]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

American Psycho.

It just had such a negative take on... well humanity. There are a few passages in which Patrick Bateman describes our race from his perspective. It's quite cold and depressing, but I often find myself agreeing with some of his points.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 03:26 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

notes from underground. really makes you want to line up the human race, run down the chain slapping everybody in the face, and then off yourself.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 05:32 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Cider House Rules

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 07:18 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yvonnekarate
Frank Sinatra fan

Mannen som elsket Yngve / The Man Who Loved Yngve by Tore Renberg.
This is a beautiful tale about the life of a teenage boy living in Stavanger (Norway). His name's Jarle Klepp and the novel takes place in the beginning of 90's. He's popular, rebellious with a button that says 'don't harass my friend' and sometimes he wears a Palestine scarf. He's against EF (EU) and he thinks that 80 % of his friends are too conservative and ignorant. While caring more for his girlfriend Katrine and admiring his good friend Helge, the world around him seems to change. Besides making people blind, falling in love can be pretty brutal. Jarle falls in love with Yngve, another boy. It's a story about love, finding one self and forsaking others.

Elsk meg i morgen / Love Me Tomorrow by Ingvar Ambjørnsen.
This is the fourth novel in the series about Elling. Elling, struggling with neurotic tendencies, falls in love with a woman he meets at a hot dog stand. We follow him whilst dealing with his own feelings and insecurities. Love Me Tomorrow is really just a sweet, though melancholy, novel.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.
An old butler, Mr. Stevens, narrates his life, recalling his life in the past through various activities in his contemporary life. Primarily, this is a story about regret, about absolute devotion and faith in a man who makes drastic mistakes. Because of this total professional commitment, Stevens fails to pursue a woman he truly loves. The Remains of the Day is one of the saddest, yet glorious books I've ever read. As Salman Rushdie once commented; "The Remains of the Day is a story both beautiful and cruel." I actually cried when I read the ending. It's tragic and very true. And I must say that the author did a splendid job writing this novel, as I discover hidden treasures every time I read it.

Regards, Yvonne

- Reader, I married him (Jane Eyre)
The happiness now, will be part of the pain then.
Teaching is an act of love.

Last edited by yvonnekarate on Jun 7th, 2007 at 02:43 PM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2007 02:40 PM
yvonnekarate is currently offline Click here to Send yvonnekarate a Private Message Find more posts by yvonnekarate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PONG_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Catcher in the Rye
Lord of the Flies
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (although I've been meaning to read it again)

Hello bebe.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2007 04:03 PM
PONG_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send PONG_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by PONG_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

fionavar tapestry. made me decide to take up writing. smile

Old Post Jun 11th, 2007 12:48 AM
leonidas is online now! Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KingDubya
The His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.
It made me start to question so many things about religion...

The Bible never had much of an impact on me since the whole time I was reading it, I was wondering how much of it was made up by a bunch of people who just wanted others to conform to their way of life (human nature rears its ugly head yet again).

This observation begs for commentary. You're argument is that the Bible wasn't an influence on you, because you questioned it's veracity as you read it? If I were Harold Bloom, I'd say you were suffering from a classic case of "Anxiety of Influence", or the subject's desire to cover up its intellectual/imaginative indebtedness to a predecessor. People that go out of their way to mention how they're not beholding to this person or that book, secretly betray out-and-out subjugation to that very thing. After all, we don't resent things that have no claim on us. We just ignore them. You might have more accurately said something like this:

"Although I really resent the Hebrew/Christian uber-narrative of a patriarchal God, who is transcendent to the material universe he creates and who fashions man in his special likeness to subdue and populate the earth and who eventually enters this human world as a creature of flesh and blood to redeem his special creation by vicariously dying for him, my imagination is filled to the brim with it. In fact my imaginative faculties are so utterly determined by this culturally defining narrative, that I've grown to resent its strangle hold upon me. It skoffs at me. It annuls my claims to originality by virtue of the fact that it is such an imaginatively gripping, not to mention seemingly onmipresent, ur-text that poignantly speaks about, well...just about everything.

"That is why I dislike the Bible - not because it's so stupid, imaginatively barren, and uninfluential, but because it's the most damned influential thing imaginable." That's my interpretation of your comment.

Actually, if you think about, "His Dark Materials" is based on a quote from Milton's "Paradise Lost" (a reworking of the Adam and Eve story) and can be read as a opposing comment on the biblical ur-narrative. So even though Pullman clrearly resents the implications of the biblical narrative, he depends on the recognition of that narrative to drive home a contradictory point. Like it or not, the book that you claim to have influenced you the most is itself hugely indebted to the Bible. And, on top of that, you noted Pullman's reworking of biblical material and used his countervailing take on the story to deconstruct biblical tales that, although they had no affect on you whatsoever, you saw the need to go back and deconstruct.

Yes, clearly the Bible is an overrated influence and has had no affect on you.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2007 09:28 PM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
This observation begs for commentary. You're argument is that the Bible wasn't an influence on you, because you questioned it's veracity as you read it? If I were Harold Bloom, I'd say you were suffering from a classic case of "Anxiety of Influence", or the subject's desire to cover up its intellectual/imaginative indebtedness to a predecessor. People that go out of their way to mention how they're not beholding to this person or that book, secretly betray out-and-out subjugation to that very thing. After all, we don't resent things that have no claim on us. We just ignore them. You might have more accurately said something like this:

"Although I really resent the Hebrew/Christian uber-narrative of a patriarchal God, who is transcendent to the material universe he creates and who fashions man in his special likeness to subdue and populate the earth and who eventually enters this human world as a creature of flesh and blood to redeem his special creation by vicariously dying for him, my imagination is filled to the brim with it. In fact my imaginative faculties are so utterly determined by this culturally defining narrative, that I've grown to resent its strangle hold upon me. It skoffs at me. It annuls my claims to originality by virtue of the fact that it is such an imaginatively gripping, not to mention seemingly onmipresent, ur-text that poignantly speaks about, well...just about everything.

"That is why I dislike the Bible - not because it's so stupid, imaginatively barren, and uninfluential, but because it's the most damned influential thing imaginable." That's my interpretation of your comment.

Actually, if you think about, "His Dark Materials" is based on a quote from Milton's "Paradise Lost" (a reworking of the Adam and Eve story) and can be read as a opposing comment on the biblical ur-narrative. So even though Pullman clrearly resents the implications of the biblical narrative, he depends on the recognition of that narrative to drive home a contradictory point. Like it or not, the book that you claim to have influenced you the most is itself hugely indebted to the Bible. And, on top of that, you noted Pullman's reworking of biblical material and used his countervailing take on the story to deconstruct biblical tales that, although they had no affect on you whatsoever, you saw the need to go back and deconstruct.

Yes, clearly the Bible is an overrated influence and has had no affect on you.

Though true, and amusing, I think the thread is which book you read had an impact on your views, ideas, feelings etc. because you read it.

Otherwise it would always be "The Bible" and other big works that shaped our society as a whole.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2007 01:02 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

Fair enough, Bardock. But I would still bet my bottom dollar that the Bible haunts this poor poster's imagination like no other conscious influence, which was the point of my post. He seems to frame his preference for Pullman's "His Dark Materials", and I presume everything else he likes as well, by it's posture vis a vis The Bible. A negative influence is still an influence - intellectual, imaginative, emotional, and otherwise....

For the West, I think it goes without saying that the Bible is the central, inescapable culturally-informing text.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2007 02:20 AM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngelxWings
xx. Angel~

The Married Man by Edmund White. Truth behind AIDS / HIV illness and homosexuality. It took my breath away and it's so well researched.

Another would have to be To Kill A Mockingbird. Such a touching story of youth that I couldn't put it down.

Finally, Cry To Heaven by Anne Rice. She used to be my idol, someone that I wanted to become. However, her work slipped after 1990. I no longer felt her, but this one of her's depicts the Italian opera singers and the castrati to perform on the stages. A splendid read!

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 06:19 AM
AngelxWings is currently offline Click here to Send AngelxWings a Private Message Find more posts by AngelxWings Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Oomny
Promising Tomorrows

Bridge to Terabithia. that book had a major imapact on me. MAJOR. it is one of my favorites

To kill a mocking bird which is my favorite book of ALL time had an impact as well

Old Post Jul 10th, 2007 08:10 PM
Oomny is currently offline Click here to Send Oomny a Private Message Find more posts by Oomny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gingercaily

Tuesdays with morrie
it shares views on life, death, happiness, money, marriage, family, and other such issues. It inspired me to think about life.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 08:11 AM
gingercaily is currently offline Click here to Send gingercaily a Private Message Find more posts by gingercaily Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laviera_j
Kadehadaire_Mage_:)

The five people you meet in heaven is good.
I just finished eden's atlantis by dawn bergemann and it is quite good, bout a girl who's sister commits suicide and then a journey to try save her soul.

Work that magic!
Work that magic!

All at the KMC tig! BOPrecruit16,Raven Guardia, charmaine,Exa, Tela,Nabokonir, cheekymunkey,airangel,tassie,ADSkinner,airangel429
,Eez! Everybody!

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 02:34 PM
Laviera_j is currently offline Click here to Send Laviera_j a Private Message Find more posts by Laviera_j Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carnival_junkie
God

House of Leaves written by Danielewski.

One of the most subtly disturbing books. A fictional book written as if it were a commentary on an existing set of video tapes. Very unsettling and even now I still become extremely uneasy in the dark/in dark hallways because of that book.

I recommend it though.

I have no speech, no name. I live in the action of death, blood cry and the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute and alone.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 06:41 PM
carnival_junkie is currently offline Click here to Send carnival_junkie a Private Message Find more posts by carnival_junkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.

also

A Joseph Campbell Companion which is a collection of essays, lectures, sections of novels, etc. The final product is magnificent, however, though it needs the former of these two books to be fully appreciated.

Others include "In Our Time" by Hemmingway, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and various other novels from different genres.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2007 12:36 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rader
Person

The Dark Tower. I just finished Wizard and Glass, and I think it helped me to let go of things that are going on in my life that I don't have control of. It's all the work of Ka. More than anything it was just relevant to whats going on in my life now.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2007 06:55 AM
rader is currently offline Click here to Send rader a Private Message Find more posts by rader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

DEFINATELY Rachel's Tears.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2007 03:18 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote