KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Georgia considers banning 'evolution'

Georgia considers banning 'evolution'
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ash007
Strength and Honour

Georgia considers banning 'evolution'

Its really wired they plan to ban the word evolution from Georgia's science curriculum and replacing it with the phrase "biological changes over time.

This in mu pwn perosnall opinion is way over the top. They are only doing it because some parent sobject to the word evolution becsuse it goes agains there religous belief.

what do u think wink.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/0...n.ap/index.html

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 04:07 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

isn't georgia the same place where that judge wasn't aloud to keep a copy of the Ten Commandments posted up in the court house? IMO....not one of our greater states.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 05:02 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

its really gone over the top everyone now has become Polically correct

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 06:31 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
isn't georgia the same place where that judge wasn't aloud to keep a copy of the Ten Commandments posted up in the court house? IMO....not one of our greater states.

Not a copy, it was a statue of sorts.

Georgia is one of those states that tries a little too hard sometimes, I mean first the Ten Commandments, then Evolution? Come on, anyone can find out about Evolution, easily. There's the 'net, TV, movies, etc.

I highly doubt this is going to go through, but it's possible.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 07:14 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

banning the word evolution is kinda a dumb idea.....it really makes very little sense...it'll actually make people want to say it more.....

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 10:57 PM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

How the hell does "evolution" offend anyone? And moreover, how does "biological changes over time" not offend the person? And what happens if someone does say "evolution"? Do they get arrested? Kicked out? Or has it become a swear word?

...damn soccer moms.

I'm a signature!

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 11:10 PM
Spearhead is currently offline Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

Evolution ??!? laughing out loud
Now THAT's dumb....big grin

Have fun||

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 04:33 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

Wow! and i thought we couldn't get anymore sooo out of touch with reality in america. I'm not surprise really...if some schools can ban mark twain...then it stands to reason that 'evolution' is a bad word.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 05:13 AM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
Alabama

The south seems to be filled with tight-ass fundamentalist Christians.......

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 05:15 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurora
Princess

Yes and I am stuck in the middle of them! I am amazed that ppl would go so far as to ban the word evolution! I am actually speechless at how stupid ppl can be. I was raised Southern Baptist and let me tell u I expect nothing less, sad really.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 06:28 AM
Aurora is currently offline Click here to Send Aurora a Private Message Find more posts by Aurora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wicker_man
V.2

I mean it wasn't the best film but it doesn't deserved to be banned.

That's NUMBERWANG!!!

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 08:22 AM
wicker_man is currently offline Click here to Send wicker_man a Private Message Find more posts by wicker_man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, they need to ban it, because a lot of the people who live there haven't experienced any "biological changes over time" in quit a long time.

I go to Atlanta a lot, it's great. However, driving through the state, you realize the logic in this move.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 09:24 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

pretty weak but well if the ppl want it

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 11:32 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

I feel sorry for the children there that are going to enter the real word where not everything is so sheltered roll eyes (sarcastic) I mean really, evolution, what's so bad about that. A word like any other.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 12:35 PM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

Re: Georgia considers banning 'evolution'

ash007>Its really wired they plan to ban the word evolution from Georgia's science curriculum and replacing it with the phrase "biological changes over time.
This in mu pwn perosnall opinion is way over the top. They are only doing it because some parent sobject to the word evolution becsuse it goes agains there religous belief.

this is why i hate religion.

If someone is stupid enough to believe that God made Adam and then made Eve out of his rib (wtf?!) then they deserved to get offended so they can wake up and embrace science/logic/rational thought rather than out-dated stories and superstitions.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 02:20 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

quote:
Originally posted by wicker_man

Dude...it's not the movie...it's the WORD 'evolution'...even wors..

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:33 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

quote:
Originally posted by LanceWindu
Not a copy, it was a statue of sorts.

Georgia is one of those states that tries a little too hard sometimes, I mean first the Ten Commandments, then Evolution? Come on, anyone can find out about Evolution, easily. There's the 'net, TV, movies, etc.

I highly doubt this is going to go through, but it's possible.

yeah i knew it was a statute...i was more worried about making sure i had the correct state. And i agree...totally possible.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 05:37 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bjladd

Evolution:

Science and the scientific method is infallible... unfortunately, scientific theories (as history certainly proves) more often than not do not merit such distinctions. Less than a century ago, Newtonian mechanics had a monopoly on the way all physical phenomena was observed to move... this theory, while tenable for most practical engineering purposes, did not hold up to the rigor of modern experimental evidence. Rather, objects moving close to the speed of light clearly violated these accepted laws, and thank God for Einstein, these results were explained by the discovery of relativity.

Now, the scientific method is absolutely infallible (no one would dare to disagree with that--least of all Christian fundamentalists), but if we were to insist that Newton's ways were objectively correct and above refutation, we would NOT have been able to send a man to the moon.

My point is this: cosmically, to believe in the supernatural creation of this world by an Almighty creator is not at all scientifically refuted--still less that Adam was created from the dirt and that Eve was created from one of Adam's ribs considering that most of our bodies are composed of elements similar to those found in various soils. If modern evolution theory wants to paint a different picture than that, and to somehow provide striking evidence to the contrary for something that happened approximately 5,000 years ago--please, I'd love to see it... but as for me? I am much more inclined to believe the Author's account of the origins of the world than man's grave suspicions.

Don't get me wrong... I think evolution should be taught in schools concurrently with creationist theory and that it should be the parents who decide which lessons they wish their children to attend. I don't see what changing the word "evolution" would do for the Christian cause.

Well just a few thoughts... God bless you all.

John 3:16

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 10:53 PM
bjladd is currently offline Click here to Send bjladd a Private Message Find more posts by bjladd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

man, people sure are stupid sometimes, thank god for southpark, the last voice of reason and logic that is out there.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 11:06 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by wicker_man

Great! Another member for my "Anti-Orlando Jones" Fanclub! Here's hoping there are never sequels to "Evolution" or "The Replacements".

By the way, while I am totally against P.C. The whole God/Darwin thing is rather moot.

Scientists can't prove evolution, and nobody can prove Adam and Eve ever existed. However, being a Christian myself, I tend to believe that I started out as some form of man, and not created out of space dust and particles.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Feb 15th, 2004 at 11:13 PM

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 11:11 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote