KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » French backs headscarf ban

French backs headscarf ban
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

the Kip-Kerry thread I think

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 07:40 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Overtly political threads like the Kerry thread are not allowed. But current affairs issue are fine, as long as people play nice.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 07:42 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

then why did other religious threads get closed?

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 07:43 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

"play nice and sing along, cause Kay's back in town.
what? bring it on!"
Wet Willy Smith, Nod your head

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 07:43 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

so what does everyone think about it?

is it religious persecution (in a very mild form)

or is it just a scarf so its not that important?

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 07:50 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I think it is pathetic that they want to do this, they claim it is about the seperation of religion and church I disagree

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 07:52 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

an act to abolish all religious symbols at the schools are fine, that way no one sticks out to be "picked" on for being a religious minority

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 07:52 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Asami
Vicious and Malicious

On BBC news yesterday they ran a poll asking if the UK should ban religious symbols in schools as well.

Personally I don't want to agree with it, in secondary school we were taught Religious Studies as a compulsory subject. If religious symbols are banned in school, then Religious Studies should be taken off the national curriculum here as well. It would be hypocritical; UK hasn't claimed itself to be a secular country because churches are almost everywhere.

I don't know about France, but 6 years ago when I was studying my A Levels in Sociology, ethnic minorities took up just 4% of the whole of the UK. Its probably risen now by about 2 percent. Recently in the Metro newspaper (its free in London train stations) they stated that there is now 30% of ethnic minorities living in the capital. Ooh, scary, they're going to take over the world. No. Because that is just London, what about the rest of the nation?

Ethnic groups are mostly those who have a religion other than Christian/Catholic or I may as well say are more relgious. Religion no matter what it is, should be respected right? Even if we do not follow that religion, respect the person who does?

I'm not religious myself, just my opinion that people should be respected, just because they wear a headscarf, that doesn't make them "extremists."

There are grey areas in the Law, but morality should contribute to it too.

Again, just emphasizing.. That's just my opinion.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 10:53 AM
Asami is currently offline Click here to Send Asami a Private Message Find more posts by Asami Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corran
Lucifer

Peoples religion should not matter to others, everyone should be treated the same regardless of religion but that just does not happen. Many wars, conflicts and other issues are as a result of religious differences, with people displaying symbols of their religion those in the minority have historically been persicuted, bullied and pushed around. I can see the merits of what they are trying to achieve by trying to eliminate any bullying etc from the schools by removing religious symbols so everyone appears the same.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 10:55 AM
Corran is currently offline Click here to Send Corran a Private Message Find more posts by Corran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

But the ironic thing is, that really the headscarves themselves are not religious at all as they are not compulsory in Islam and are not even mentioned in the Koran. It is supposed to be an voluntary act of modesty. But obviously, with all things, it's taken out of context and not really understood.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 01:07 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

The idea in itself is a good one, religion tends to create enormous amounts of tension between people, however, it doesn't seem to be well implemented. I mean, it doesn't seem right to simply ban people from wearing a scarf or other specific clothing in school if they want to.

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 02:13 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corran
Lucifer

quote:
Originally posted by Raz
But the ironic thing is, that really the headscarves themselves are not religious at all as they are not compulsory in Islam and are not even mentioned in the Koran. It is supposed to be an voluntary act of modesty. But obviously, with all things, it's taken out of context and not really understood.
Indeed, but are they also stopping people displaying the cross which is something people wear through choice and not as a compulsory religious symbol? Even though I see the merits of what they are trying to achieve they do seem to be going about it in the wrong way, surely a better religious education to encompass all religions would be better suited as people would start to understand any cultural differences and once people understand things they are more likely to be more accepting.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 02:56 PM
Corran is currently offline Click here to Send Corran a Private Message Find more posts by Corran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

well your religious preference should be personal, so a ban on wearing stuff that will "give" away that personal preference of religion should be enforced. Religion should be kept to the places set for them wetter it being churches, mosques, synagogues and so on.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 03:36 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I still think it is against basic human rights to force ppl to take off the symbols of their religion. btw if someone has a problem with someone in his or her school wearing a headscarf or some other "religious"sign could they please explain why?

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 03:43 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

I see no logic in finti's remarks. By wearing a scarf (cross, skullcap whatever) they aren't preaching to anyone nor trying to convert others. It is just a piece of item that they are wearing for personal reasons and is in no way affecting anyone, and seems silly that the French government stepped in. But I guess with the rising extreme prejudice right there it was bound to happen.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 04:55 PM
yerssot

well, I have a symbol around my neck that I got from my granddad, and if for some reason they would force me to remove it cause some high-shots at the government don't like it, though luck, I don't know about france, but overhere not a single muslim (just picking them out cause of the scarf-debate) is part of the government, so how on earth can it be deceided without consulting ALL the parties?

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 05:01 PM
Fire

quote:
Originally posted by Raz
I see no logic in finti's remarks. By wearing a scarf (cross, skullcap whatever) they aren't preaching to anyone nor trying to convert others. It is just a piece of item that they are wearing for personal reasons and is in no way affecting anyone, and seems silly that the French government stepped in. But I guess with the rising extreme prejudice right there it was bound to happen.

exactly my feelings on the matter

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 06:50 PM
Fire

well they claim that they are doing it because a lot of women are forced to wear those scarfs against their own will, I dont think it is the case

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 06:51 PM
mook

i think religion should be taught at school so everyone has an understanding of what each other believes but i dont think any religion should be presented as fact - instead just peoples theories and ideas.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 07:20 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

that would indeed be best, unless someone wants to follow a certain religion

Old Post Feb 11th, 2004 07:24 PM