KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Father of Medicine?

Father of Medicine?
Started by: hh?

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Father of Medicine?

i love biology, chemistry, anatomy etc etc...

well today in english AP class my teacher was discussing about the "Father of Medicine" Hippocrates. I raised my hand up and said "How is he the father of medicine when Imhotep (from Egypt) came waaaay before him and etc etc"

? i might be wrong but i think i know my facts. Im not saying Hippocrates was worthless or anything...he was great but calling him "Father of Medicine" wont be fair. Actually history itself isn't accurate. And another example: Callings Andreas Vesalius "Father of Anatomy" well maybe that is accurate because i never read anyone else before him that did anatomy as complex as him...but history still isn't accurate. their might have been people studying the Anatomy of the human body more complex waaaay before Andreas Vesalius...comments

and one more question is anyone studying Medicine? im sophmore in High School and im thinkin about going in medical field. smile

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 02:19 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Re: Father of Medicine?

quote:
Originally posted by h0ck3yh0rr0r
i love biology, chemistry, anatomy etc etc...

well today in english AP class my teacher was discussing about the "Father of Medicine" Hippocrates. I raised my hand up and said "How is he the father of medicine when Imhotep (from Egypt) came waaaay before him and etc etc"

? i might be wrong but i think i know my facts. Im not saying Hippocrates was worthless or anything...he was great but calling him "Father of Medicine" wont be fair. Actually history itself isn't accurate. And another example: Callings Andreas Vesalius "Father of Anatomy" well maybe that is accurate because i never read anyone else before him that did anatomy as complex as him...but history still isn't accurate. their might have been people studying the Anatomy of the human body more complex waaaay before Andreas Vesalius...comments

and one more question is anyone studying Medicine? im sophmore in High School and im thinkin about going in medical field. smile

I think you should go for it! You seem to know enough as it is. yes Just don't call yourself Dr. horror and hang scary movie posters in your examination room! big grin

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 02:51 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

alright thx for advice smile

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 03:00 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I think you're on the right track, Hockey. Furthering your education and helping others with your knowledge and skills is very admirable.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 02:28 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SAtown_punk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hippocrates is the father of MODERN medicine. You're teacher should have clarified this.

"Most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient."
-Henry David Thoreau

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 06:10 PM
SAtown_punk is currently offline Click here to Send SAtown_punk a Private Message Find more posts by SAtown_punk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Satown Punk> true but my teacher never said "MODERN".

Gundark> Thx smile

but i still dont know whats a good field...
Forensic Patholgy?
Oncology?
Psychiatry?
Cardiology?
Orthopedist?
etc etc...

any help?

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 10:40 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, Hippocrates put down the basic principles that we recognise in medicine today. Obviously, no-one should be implying he is the first person who ever acted in the capacity of a medic!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 10:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

exactly^

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 10:47 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Besides Hippocrates, I think that Theophrastus Paracelsus is also consider the father of pharmaceutical medice.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:05 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evy_O
don't let go

Well, I go for Hippocrates, since he was Greek yes

shallow me, then spit me out
for hating you I blame myself
seeing you it kills me now
no, I don't cry on the outside anymore...

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:11 AM
Evy_O is currently offline Click here to Send Evy_O a Private Message Find more posts by Evy_O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

*wants tiramisu*

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:25 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

very constructiive stick out tongue

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:28 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

well, I can always add suvlaki, uzo and moussaka big grin

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:30 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

me and storm had suvlaki for dinner today stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:36 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

moussaka is traditional the maindish, souvlaki is normally at the end of the meal (at least that was the last time I checked, in a restaurant, should go back to greece)

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:38 AM
Fire

I dont care about the order as long as it's good

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:41 AM
yerssot

it's ...sticky shifty

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:43 AM
Fire

ooh sounds kinky shifty

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:46 AM
silver_tears

blinklaughing out loud

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:48 AM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:49 AM