KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Poll: Which 20th century creative visionary has influenced the world most?

Which 20th century creative visionary has influenced the world most?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
George Lucas 1 6.25%
J.R.R. Tolkein 5 31.25%
Walt Disney 5 31.25%
None of the above 5 31.25%
Total: 16 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poll: Which 20th century creative visionary has influenced the world most?
Started by: Creechuur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Poll: Which 20th century creative visionary has influenced the world most?

I know there have been a lot of creative minds in the last 100+ years, but who do you think has made the most lasting impression not only in Hollywood, but in the general public's minds and hearts?

I narrowed it down to these three. Please post your write-in if you vote 'None of the above'.

I'd go with Walt, hands down. Tolkein and Lucas have created great stories that revolutionized the industries of fantasy, sci-fi, storytelling and movie making, but Disney just could not be stopped.

Animation, feature films, educational movies, theme parks, utopian communities, the list of things that fascinated Walt Disney are too numerous to name. He had an eternally child-like imagination, the genius to pull off his visons, and the common sense to know that he couldn't do it alone. With his brother Roy to keep him from going broke, and his awesome team of imagineers and animators, Walt Disney truly created magic. Even the most cynical, hard nosed bastard (like me!) has to have a place in his heart for Disney.

I think Walt Disney did more good for the world than all the current politicians and world leaders put together. Not just in an entertainment sense, but in the sense that the entertainment was crafted with love and care, and it was created for everyone...all ages, colors and creeds.

I'm not a real big "Disney" fan, but I'm a HUGE Walt Disney fan.

Don't even get me started on what Eisner has done to that company in the last decade. mad

"Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Old Post Jun 8th, 2004 07:41 AM
Creechuur is currently offline Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Serif

"Who do you think has made the most lasting impression...in the general public's minds and hearts...in the 20th century"

In an age of empire and military might, he proved that the powerless had power and that force of arms would not forever prevail against force of spirit... Gandhi stick out tongue

Then... He who discovered, merely by thinking about it, that the universe was not as it seemed.... Einstein shifty

Old Post Jun 8th, 2004 08:58 AM
Serif is currently offline Click here to Send Serif a Private Message Find more posts by Serif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Maybe it wasn't clear, but I meant entertainment industry types...

This is probably an unfair poll, but after Walt I couldn't think of anyone else! I truly don't think Lucas or Tolkein are even in the same league as Disney, but I couldn't come up with any other names. I was kinda hoping write-in votes would come up with names I forgot.

I guess I was going for irony...you know, people who just wanted to entertain an audience and ended up changing the world.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2004 06:31 PM
Creechuur is currently offline Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crAZRick
I'm God here!

quote:
Originally posted by Creechuur
you know, people who just wanted to entertain an audience and ended up changing the world.

in that case, I would have to say...

ME!

oh wait! I'll be doing that for the 21st Century!!

'I'm back!'
'Come with me if you want to live!'
'You're terminated!'

Old Post Jun 8th, 2004 06:36 PM
crAZRick is currently offline Click here to Send crAZRick a Private Message Find more posts by crAZRick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

Tolkien brought Myth back to the 20th century smile

Old Post Jun 9th, 2004 12:05 AM
Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I cant mention them all but I'd have to say the many people who invented Jazz,
Soo many influences i cant even name them all.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2004 12:28 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Tolkein would be a close second to Disney for sure. Since the 60's, every fantasy property that has used an elf or an orc has basically used Tolkein's version. D&D wouldn't exist without his books.

Tptmanno, I'm sure Jazz musicians had a profound effect on you and other musicians, but I'm talking about people who changed the very landscape of society solely with entertainment. George Gershwin or Louie Armstrong might be candidates, but I don't think theyre quite in Disney and Tolkein's league.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2004 07:31 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

I would say out of the given list Tolkien.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2004 07:47 AM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Dang, I thought this was a good question too. Shows you what I know...

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:38 AM
Ninjamaster

You cannot DO that without mentioning Spielberg.
Close Encounters
ET
Indiana Jones trilogy
Jurassic Park
Schindlers List<which i haven't seen though!>
Saving Private Ryan!
JAWS
BACK TO THE FUTURE!<The man's a GOD for crying out LOUD!>
HE makes stars out of Nobody's really he does!
After HIM comes Jim Cameron NO DOUBT.
I've been following these two directors awesome accomplishments the last 14 years.
U can't beat these two it's like Christ VS SATAN with he world watching!
I'll be stumped dead 4 sure if any Director Star Maker can attain what they have attained! They make excellence and classic storytelling look like truth simplicitly stated is magnificence exemplified par HOLOCAUST!
I'm their biggest FAN 4 ever!
If this was DOOMSDAY I'd Be the Third Horseman Of Apocalypse and I'd give Professor SpielRock two thumbs UP to say ACTION!
Then I'd sit down and reasses the dynamics of the situation for Cardinal JIM Cammies to reprobation!
5-4-3-3-2-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:50 AM
Ninjamaster is currently offline Click here to Send Ninjamaster a Private Message Find more posts by Ninjamaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ninjamaster

Tolkien IS not even AS good OR was never AS good As GOODKIND EVER WILL BE!
The Abyss defines HELL closer than either MAtrix or LOTR!
Infact Gerorgr disses any of thes any DAY but the main maen BE Ct=ST!!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:55 AM
Ninjamaster is currently offline Click here to Send Ninjamaster a Private Message Find more posts by Ninjamaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

got to go for Tolkien

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 09:35 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Spielberg and Cameron are damn good, but I would be interested to know how many of their movies were from their own ideas. A lot of Cameron's stuff is not original...Aliens, Titanic, etc. Definitely two of the best filmmakers on the planet though, no doubt.

I'm not familiar with Goodkind, I'll have to check him out. Comparing him to Tolkien is a tall order.

Its apparent that this a Tolkien/Disney thing. Very few people have reached their almost unattainable heights.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 06:07 PM
finti

quote:
You cannot DO that without mentioning Spielberg
ehh Indiana Jones is George Lucas idea, Schindlers List is based on a book by Thomas Keneally.
Spielberg belongs on a list about great directors, not on this one by a long shot

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 07:09 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
furryman
honky

DEFO WHOEVA INVENTED THE SANWICH TOASTA cool

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 07:18 PM
furryman is currently offline Click here to Send furryman a Private Message Find more posts by furryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

The man's glasses are just like mine eek!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 07:22 PM
Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

The first electric toaster was invented in 1893 in Great Britain by Crompton
and Co (UK)

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 07:24 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Well, no one has influenced modern movie makers like Stanly Kubrick, so I'll throw his name into the ring.

Out of the given list, probably Tolkien. He pretty much made the fantasy genre out of scratch as it's known today.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:58 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

carrot top.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2004 01:09 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

for controversy Id go with Roman Polanski..........sorry creech had to toss that one in the ring

Old Post Jun 12th, 2004 01:53 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote