KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Mutants: The way they work

Mutants: The way they work
Started by: The Force

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blair Wind
actually he turns his WHOLE body into metal...

Superhuman Powers: Colossus possesses the mutant ability to transform his entire body into solid, nigh-invulnerable, organic osmium steel. In this "armored" form, Colossus posses sufficient strength to lift over 100 tons. He can withstand the impact of a 5,000 ton speeding train, the ballistic penetration of a 110 millimeter Howitzer shell, and the explosive force of nearly 500 pounds of TNT. His eyes are sufficiently strong to resist the impact of a .45 calibur bullet at close range. He is highly resistant to heat and cold (being able to receive full-force blasts from The Human Torch and/or Ice Man without taking damage) and can survive temperature extremes from -320o Fahrenheit to approximately 9000o F. Being conductive, he is immune to electricity. Colossus's armored body cannot rust. Also Colossus doesn't need to eat and breath, but he still can't survive in the vacuum of space. Why not? As solid steel, Colossus would be utterly immune to explosive decompression and thus easily capable of surviving in a total vaccum. Also, it seems logical to suppose that in his steel form Colossus be utterly tireless as well, since the biological processes that contribute to fatigue would no longer be present.
I understand that but thats what I'm getting at. If his whole body turns to metal then how does it work. He should be nothing more than statue. His muscle fibers would be replaced by nonstrecthy metal sthrands which wouldn't let him move much.
Also why does having Metal body alloy him to lift more. His Musle Fibers could take more strain but that doesn't have anything to do with lifting. Lifting comes down to how much energy you can summon to move the obstacle. In reality all Metal Muscle fibrs should allow him to be good at is resisting something but a person is more likely to lift than resist somehing in times of need. I will give this the tough Muscle Fibers would allow him to lift more but I don't think he would lift more than a half ton at the most a ton. No way he should be able to lift 100 tons.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 11:15 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eristole
Me in a text box

ok, i'm guessing that by Organic metal, it inherits the durability of steel and the strength, if you look up how your muscles work it's kind of like a system of stretch one, relax the other, i'm sure it's just like an adamantium spring... that said.. i'm still thinking about blink..

her power has to be linked with some kind of displacement, i mean it shouldnt work like nightcrawlers with another dimension...

what trips me out is that she can take a fall, from a verticle, and turn
it into horizontal movement.. that displacement is just, odd.. i mean, not even kurt can do that with his ports.. if he's falling, he's falling whether he ports or not. so if she ports to another dimension, the rules of physics apply, just no the rules of gravity..

i'm boggled by this and i need ideas..

Old Post Aug 1st, 2005 05:16 AM
eristole is currently offline Click here to Send eristole a Private Message Find more posts by eristole Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metalmanx
Illuminati Founder

Originally posted by Flavio
About Angel, his power is strange, coz you can't fly only coz you have wings...actually birds have many other structures that allow them to fly, like "air pockets" (dunno how it is in English)...

His mutation doesn't just grant him wings. He mutation also gives him hollow, bird-like bones, making his body much lighter than it would be with normal, human bones. He also has zero body fat in his entire body. These things enable him his large, powerful wings to easily gain enough to lift to well, lift Angel up and fly away flapping his wings like a bird.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2005 06:59 PM
Metalmanx is currently offline Click here to Send Metalmanx a Private Message Find more posts by Metalmanx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix_Avatar9
Spark of Creation

so he can like engorge himself in food and not gain an ounce, (jealous )

Old Post Aug 1st, 2005 08:25 PM
Phoenix_Avatar9 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix_Avatar9 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix_Avatar9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
munkiesarus
swimming upstream

Originally posted by Metalmanx
His mutation doesn't just grant him wings. He mutation also gives him hollow, bird-like bones, making his body much lighter than it would be with normal, human bones. He also has zero body fat in his entire body. These things enable him his large, powerful wings to easily gain enough to lift to well, lift Angel up and fly away flapping his wings like a bird.

Hollow bones, though official, is a very iffy explanation on Marvel's part, considering that the marrow is in the bones.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2005 11:49 PM
munkiesarus is currently offline Click here to Send munkiesarus a Private Message Find more posts by munkiesarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

what about, say....Avalanche? anyone got any science info on him?

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 03:55 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Blair Wind
what about, say....Avalanche? anyone got any science info on him?
Well the way his power could possibly work is that his molecules can shake so fast and hard he can cause that enrgy to pass into other items such as earth.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 04:31 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eristole
Me in a text box

his is pretty easy to explain actually, earthquakes are caused by the tectonic plates shifting underground, earthquakes happen when to plates collide and then one drops below the other, this creates a drop or lift in the earth above it and creates an "earth quake".. his power allows him the ability to control the tectonic plates.. which although is rather hard to imagine, it'd be alot easier to explain if i werent really tired.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 08:09 AM
eristole is currently offline Click here to Send eristole a Private Message Find more posts by eristole Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

...or he can psychically link his mind to tectonic plates

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 08:32 AM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

aight...this is a question about Iceman, I know I posted a description but this is a theory type question I have about him...I posted this in the Iceman Pic thread (cuz they merged that thread with my Iceman: Powers & Ability thread that I had a while back) here goes

ok since the picture thread got merged with my Iceman: Powers and Ablilities thread im gonna ask a question about his powers...if he can unfreeze himself (or at least was once able to when he was fully human) does that mean he can make the molecules that he stops to freeze move again? wouldnt that mean with enough training he could actually do the opposite of his power and make fire or just something really ho by moving the molecules reallllly fastt??? or his it more that he let go of his control over the molecules and they go back to normal....but wouldnt that take a while to unfreeze?

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 01:47 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

I can't really point out the UNFREEZING properties og Iceman, but this is how his ICE works:

MR. ICEMAN

(please log in to view the image)

Iceman is capable of manipulating subzero energy. This energy slows down molecular activity, causing temperatures to drop. He is apparently capable of reducing molecular motion all the way down to absolute zero. Applying his power to liquids causes them to freeze instantly, and freezing solids often causes them to become brittle and crack under the sudden temperature shift. Mostly, though, he uses his power to create ice, by condensing water vapor and moisture in the atmosphere. When attacking solid objects, he often tends to direct his freezing beams at the atmosphere around them instead of the object itself, covering it in layers of ice instead of disrupting its molecular integrity with a quick-freeze. By focusing, he can shape the ice he makes into various forms like a spray of ice daggers, walls or domes of ice for protection, ladders, columns, boomerangs, lassos, etc. Iceman's classic mode of transportation was his ice slides, ramps of ice supported by a series of columns which he could slide along. Recently, Iceman has begun experimenting in creating animated ice sculptures, constructs he can move like stop-motion cinematography by cracking and refreezing them thousands of times a minute.

Iceman can also affect his own body with his powers. Possessing a natural resistance to intense cold and its side effects, Bobby originally produced a thin layer of snow over his body to disguise his features. Shortly into his career, he hardened this into a layer of ice, which constantly cracks and refreezes as he moves due to the subzero temperatures his body is radiating. Decades later, Iceman began experimenting with adding additional layers of ice onto his body, artificially bulking up his body with an exo-armor of ice that increased his strength and durability. Not that much longer after that, though, Iceman learned how to physically transform his carbon-based body into "organic ice", morphing himself into a sentient and animated ice statue. This granted him a number of new abilities. As organic ice, Bobby can suffer all kinds of physical damage without truly being injured by it. He can lose and arm or have a hole the size of a soccer ball blown through his chest, and his powers can simply freeze new ice to replace the missing substance, leaving him no worse for the wear providing he does this before trying to turn back to human. Iceman can also morph his organic ice body in different ways, adding additional amounts of ice to grow to giant size at will, extend his arms to different lengths, transform his hands into blades or hammers, etc. Recently, a secondary mutation has kicked in, forcing Iceman to remain in his ice form at all times and not allowing him to revert back to flesh and blood at all. Therefore, it seems likely that he no longer requires sustenance such as food, drink, or oxygen in order to survive. Though he rarely employs the ability, Iceman is capable of mentally altering his body's state of matter, transforming from ice into water or water vapor. Drake can project his consciousness through a uniform, unbroken medium in these states, allowing him to relocate himself at the speed of thought. To explain, if Iceman jumped into a lake and transformed into water, his consciousness could transfer itself instantly into any other water molecules around him, allowing him to immediately reform himself anywhere along the shore of the lake, since all the water there is connected. By becoming water vapor, he could move instantaneously around a moisture-rich atmosphere in the same manner.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 02:03 PM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

mmm...see I have a problem with that description...if you read the description I put up it shows how if he actually took moiusture from the air to do all his crazy stunts......well the world was we know it would not exist, cuz all the mouisture in a given area would be used and we would be dead....my descriptions like one or two pages back...read it...you see what Im sayin??

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 02:08 PM
Jury
Extreme Member

EARTHQUAKE, TIDAL WAVES, AND AVALANCHE

(please log in to view the image)

Avalanche can generate powerful vibrations from his hands. By focusing his power on a target, he can strike objects with shockwaves carrying a concussive impact, cause them to shatter, or destabilize his target at a molecular level so that it crumbles and disintegrates into powder. His power cannot be used against organic matter -- attempting to do so will cause his vibrations to reverberate and feedback on him, which once broke nearly every bone in his arms when he tried to vibe the Hulk. By directing vibrations at the ground beneath himself, Avalanche can stimulate ground tremors, creating shakers that throw his opponents off balance, open fissues in the earth, and can weaken the structural integrity of building foundations or the ground itself. This application of his powers is especially effective on earth that is already seismically unstable. He has practiced in using his powers to create ripple effects which alter the landscape under his control. Avalanche can create slopes and inclines from flat level ground, cause chunks of pavement or earth to blast up into the air and then fall in simulated landslides or avalanches, or summon "tidal waves" of matter that ripple across the ground. He can ride atop these waves for transportation, or use them to bury his opponents.

- UXM.Net

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2005 08:45 AM
Jury
Extreme Member

Refreshing up old official threads.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 07:05 AM