KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Coinhabitation......moral or not ????

Coinhabitation......moral or not ????
Started by: shellie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Well said.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:27 PM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Well, speaking as a resident of North Carolina, as a gay man, and as a man who has lived with his "significant other"...I can say with no uncertain amount of conviction that what other people have to say about how anyone lives their lives is, for the most part, irrelevant. Anyone that argues that if we allow gay people to marry that the next will be pedophiles...and then say they have nothing against homosexuals: "because they know some" and !..surprise!.."they actually LIKE THEM!"...are talking out of their ass. They may like them, but they don't truely accept them, much less really believe that they deserve to be treated as equal human beings.

Thats what all this is really about. Rights. And more importantly, how long certain groups will ALLOW their rights to be kept from them. If I want to walk down the street holding my boyfriends hand, then why does that bother anyone else?

Some people say, it's because "GOD DOESN'T LIKE IT" Well, you know what, if I am going to burn for the rest of eternity in hell, why is that not enough retribution in the eyes of those who "think" it's wrong? I'll be the one suffering for the rest of eternity, why make the here and now
difficult too?

As for living with someone and not being married to them? Well, thats just bull shit! Why have we not evolved in our morals since the mid 1900's?

indeed thumb up

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:30 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
They may like them, but they don't truely accept them, much less really believe that they deserve to be treated as equal human beings.

Now this may seem odd - since i'm the one that got KMCensored for speaking out against snakehead and his what i found to be offensive attitude.

But i'm not sure if he is as bad as you paint: yes people can be around homosexuals and think they are being accepting and liberal minded only to find themselves accused as perhaps shallower than they thought when the chips are down.

Lord knows each of us has our own prejudices that crop up unbidden sometimes - i think that the problem is that sometimes people think that because they dont freak out at the idea and once were in a room with a gay man they are right-on!

Its not necessarily bigotry or a belief that gays or blacks or Iranians are LESSER humans, it's just a lack of understanding, a lack of education, a lack of exposure.

[Edited]

Last edited by Tex on Jul 30th, 2004 at 11:41 PM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:35 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

I really doubt that god would send anyone into the pit fires of hell for sharing the core of someone they love.

Forget all that scary hell talk.

Yeah, god is going to punish you for being your natural self. roll eyes (sarcastic) We're born heterosexual, bisexual, gay etc. If god wants to punish us for something we cant change, well then that's no god of mine.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:40 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I dunno, keep in mind this is the same god that sends everyone to hell unless they've "confessed" their sins, and the same god that allows us to be born with "original sin" and will send us to hell even if we've led a good, wholesome life because of this.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:47 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Tex [/B]

Opinions vary about this - the religious right will tell you that homosexuality is learned behavior and can be "cured".

Now that i think about it - I may start the rumor that "Christianity" is learned behavior & can be cured!

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:50 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

[edited by me]

Last edited by Mr Zero on Jul 31st, 2004 at 12:00 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:54 PM
Darth Revan
-

The religious right is wrong yes

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:54 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
I dunno, keep in mind this is the same god that sends everyone to hell unless they've "confessed" their sins, and the same god that allows us to be born with "original sin" and will send us to hell even if we've led a good, wholesome life because of this.

Depends on your viewpoint. Old testament Hell isnt where souls go when they die, it's where the wicked go after the resurrection and final judgment.

You get mention of the burning lake in revelations - but for the most part these days hell is considered to be "separation from god"

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:04 AM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
Now this may seem odd - since i'm the one that got KMCensored for speaking out against snakehead and his what i found to be offensive attitude.

But i'm not sure if he is as bad as you paint: yes people can be around homosexuals and think they are being accepting and liberal minded only to find themselves accused as perhaps shallower than they thought when the chips are down.

Lord knows each of us has our own prejudices that crop up unbidden sometimes - i think that the problem is that sometimes people think that because they dont freak out at the idea and once were in a room with a gay man they are right-on!

Its not necessarily bigotry or a belief that gays or blacks or Iranians are LESSER humans, it's just a lack of understanding, a lack of education, a lack of exposure.

[Edited]

I wasn't reffering to anyone in particular...

quote:
I really doubt that god would send anyone into the pit fires of hell for sharing the core of someone they love.

Forget all that scary hell talk.

Yeah, god is going to punish you for being your natural self. We're born heterosexual, bisexual, gay etc. If god wants to punish us for something we cant change, well then that's no god of mine.

That's my point.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:07 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Most people don't believe that anymore, the new testament is what's followed most of the time these days.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:07 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
Depends on your viewpoint. Old testament Hell isnt where souls go when they die, it's where the wicked go after the resurrection and final judgment.

You get mention of the burning lake in revelations - but for the most part these days hell is considered to be "separation from god"

Your statement only serves to validate my argument. Even the religious persons point of view has changed, evolved... One century God says one thing, then the next he says something different. Why? Because God is fickle? No, because God as he is believed to exist was created by flawed, prejudice MAN.

Look, I am a spiritual person. I believe in a higher power...maybe not GOd as he/she/it is represented by the Judeo-Christian outlook...but certainly in a great creator/force that has some hand in the fate of the universe...and each of us.

So, if a Christian from the dark ages can look at aChristian from today and say that he is going to hell because of the differences in moral opinion and religious outlook, then why can't a Christian from today look at the future and find room for a gay man?

**Not to say that some can not, but there are certainly a lot who can't**

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:13 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

I dunno. Lots of people are afraid of change, and that's what gay marriges represent. It WOULD be a major change, even though gays themselves think it wont effect anyone but themselves. It would raise questions about moral righteousness and whatnot, and alot will be going on.

I'm all for it, but my opinion doesn't matter. I can't even vote yet.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:50 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

It will inevitably happen. It's been coming slowly for years, and no matter what people do to stop it, gay marriage is going to become legal. In fact if anything, amending the constitution to make it illegal is just going to make people even more angry and it will come sooner.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:57 AM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
I dunno. Lots of people are afraid of change, and that's what gay marriges represent. It WOULD be a major change, even though gays themselves think it wont effect anyone but themselves. It would raise questions about moral righteousness and whatnot, and alot will be going on.

I'm all for it, but my opinion doesn't matter. I can't even vote yet.

There is a difference between morals and right and wrong. Morals are largely a matter of opinion. Right is right and wrong is wrong. It is wrong to kill someone. It is a matter of morals to assist a terminal cancer patient with suicide.

As far as opinions are concerned, everyone can have their opinion. But, just remember that it is no longer your opinion once it starts to effect me...or anyone for that matter.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 02:06 AM
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

quote:
There is a difference between morals and right and wrong. Morals are largely a matter of opinion. Right is right and wrong is wrong. It is wrong to kill someone. It is a matter of morals to assist a terminal cancer patient with suicide.

As far as opinions are concerned, everyone can have their opinion. But, just remember that it is no longer your opinion once it starts to effect me...or anyone for that matter.

No, right and wrong are based on morals, which is relative. Is it wrong to kill someone in self-defense?

Opinions are opinions whether they effect others or not. What else would it be?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 02:24 AM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
It is wrong to kill someone. It is a matter of morals to assist a terminal cancer patient with suicide.

Actually no, if it were a matter of morals we would be able to decide for ourselves - it's a matter of law, thus "wrong" by statute.

And that's whats causing the issue is it not - laws based on arbitrary moral definitions of goodness and badness.

The answer to the thread is that yes, cohabitation and / or gay marriage IS a moral issue - but that doesnt imply that it's wrong or right -

What that SHOULD tell us that as a moral issue it's for us to decide and that no law or individual should have the "right" to interfere.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 02:30 AM
Ms Chelle
ubuntu

blink

laughing laughing out loud laughing ok , i now surrender this thread to the powers that be ...........

that being done , now i will say this .

God does not punish us for are sexuality . in fact we are part of god and he makes us who we are . so why the hell would we go to Hell for being what he made us to to be ?

made by Scribble

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:09 PM
Ms Chelle is currently offline Click here to Send Ms Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Ms Chelle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote