KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Now for some philosophy.....

Now for some philosophy.....
Started by: Papaumau

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Papaumau
Man of the world

Now for some philosophy.....

Which are you....

A leader....?

OR...

A follower...?

If you think you are a leader are you prepared to take the responsibility, ( blame ), when things go wrong after you have made a decision ?

If you think you are a follower do you feel that it is alright to copy other people instead of taking the lead and creating your own future ?

Why I ask this is because I see people all around me who are spending lots of money and effort to try to look and behave like others but on the other hand those who are brave enough to try to be individuals get punished for it for not being part of the crowd.

Where do YOU fit in this scheme ?

Click my sig'-pic' to go to my forum
and attached consumer website

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 06:03 PM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Well... I wouldn't really call myself either. I'm not a follower because I consider myself an individual. On the other hand, nobody is very intent on "following" me. I have my friends, and we all like each other... But we're all "black sheep" in the world.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 06:08 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

Leader in the work place and in social affairs. I guess you could call me a follower in regards to fashion. I just like looking nice. I don't care if that means the Emo look or the Punk look or head to toe Armani.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 06:13 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Leader.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 07:01 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

neither. i just..abide outside of the 'scheme'
i don't particularly like responsibility and i don't like to ...go with the flow either.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 09:49 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

im not a good leader, i couldnt be someones boss or be in charge of a large group of people. but im creative and can come up with my own ideas and not copy someone else. but id rather work be my self rather than in a group.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 09:57 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

SO....there is obviously more definitions set in between "leader" & "follower" then...OR are you....( the ones that want to be both )...just wanting their cake and eating it too ?

One definition that has come out early here is the "rebel" type that does not want to follow the general trends but wants to be a follower within his/her own sub-group.

The real leaders are the ones that create new ideas and are prepared to be punished for this direction. Because this is a difficult path to take there are not many of this type in a crowd.

The solitary creators like Moo Cow are in fact leaders even although they do not recognise this quality in themselves.

Dexx..."doesn't like to go with the flow" and while he denies being a leader I would suggest that it takes the courage of a leader to stay away from the pack-thinking mentality. Dexx...( who I think is a guy ), may one day surprise himself when he finds that inside a rebel there is a leader waiting to get out !

Linkalichious..... I suspect that you think you are a leader but if you want to "look nice" in the same way as all the others "look nice" then you are truly a follower.

Darth Revan.... I would like to suggest. that you ARE a leader as all you need to be a leader is to find that people are influenced by your strength of personality and creativity.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 12:22 PM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

hmmm indeed

I believe a leader is someone where his or hers followers look up to them for inspiration and decision making.

I believe some people are born natural leaders who are able to take on the responsibility.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 12:40 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I think I'm like Nazzy (Moo Cow)...I could never lead other people, but at the same time I could never be a true follower. I like to do my own thing too much, but I can't stand working in groups with other people; I'd much rather work by myself.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 12:43 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

Silver Stardust....

As I said to Moo Cow....People who like to sit in a corner away from the crowd and do their own thing are probably leaders who have not yet found the group that they want to lead.

As maturity develops most people seek to be accepted in some kind....any kind, of peer-group so that they have comfort in numbers. The trouble is that once this path has been taken this previously solitary soul will find that if they are creative and have the abilty to see new things and new ideas they will be placed in a leadership position by the people around them that are not as creative as they are.

Often leadership is forced upon the person that thinks they are not capable of this quality and after they have been doing it at a low level they find that moving up a rung is not as hard as they thought it might be from the position at the bottom of the ladder.

As Ash007 said...."leaders are born... not made ! " ( or words to that effect ).

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:00 PM
finti

well I dont let others deceide what I am and I aint spending a lot of money on things to be like others.If I like a thing I dont care what others might think about it, nor do I care what others think about my views either. I take a stand out of what I think is right for me and others must consider whats best for them

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:00 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

For me, every leader is a good follower. And a follower is a good leader.
I consider myself both. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The question should have been between "An Effective Leader" and "A Responsible Follower". wink

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:04 PM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

Finti....

Just like your friend Che....A rebel like you will only be fulfilled when you have followers to take your lead.

If you continue to go it alone you will eventually just be looked upon as a rather strange individualist !

But HEY....if that's your bag....go for it !

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:07 PM
finti

quote:
If you continue to go it alone you will eventually just be looked upon as a rather strange individualist !
I adapt but adapting to what I find adequate.
Its not like I go find some really freak looking stuff just to keep up this induvidual status, but I dont follow the crowd into diggin whats cool just to be part of it either

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:12 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

Awe cm'on Finty.....

You LOVE being an individualist don't you ?

If you merely "adapt" then you are fitting in with what is "the norm" aren't you ? ( FOLLOWING ! ).

That is tantamount to selling out your individuality is it not ?

Nobody wants to be a sellout do they ?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:20 PM
finti

adapt in the sense of wearing normal clothes, not those freaky freak stuff. Adapt in the sense of common sense, dont need to revolt on all thats happening just to revolt. An example were I differ from the "crowd" where I live, well I dont have a cellphone, I see everybody, and I mean everybody too, arond me carrying it around everywere they go like it was some form of VD. Cellphones annoying things, probably good to have in differnt work situation but thats all

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:27 PM
Papaumau
Man of the world

Yeh..I get that....but...

If you wear what everybody thinks is "common sense" then you are being what is colloqually called "A suit" !

When I first went into the British civil service I had a beard which I was promptly told to shave off. When I went abroad to work and I got a bit of seniority a grew it back on again because all of the other civil servants were wearing suits and ties and were clones of each-other.

I was the first person to introduce open-neck shirts in any civil service "establishment" section. If you want to be a leader you have to go against "the establishment" and stamp your own personality on your area of control.

It's a bit like a dog or a cat marking it's territory I suppose ! laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 02:17 PM
finti

I wear what I find comfy, suits aint even considered

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 02:24 PM
Papaumau
Man of the world

"Suits"....

Sorry if I used a common term for "being part of the establishment" !

To call someone a "suit" in Britain means that they are a conformist and that they do and wear what is suitable to conform to the rest of the flock of sheep !

I do understand that you are NOT one of them !

Mind you...as I said before...It is sometimes difficult to be a non-conformist.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 04:00 PM
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by Papaumau

Dexx..."doesn't like to go with the flow" and while he denies being a leader I would suggest that it takes the courage of a leader to stay away from the pack-thinking mentality. Dexx...( who I think is a guy ), may one day surprise himself when he finds that inside a rebel there is a leader waiting to get out !

laughing out loud that sounds like some sort of personality test response, on some site stick out tongue
yeah i'm a guy. and yes..IF i am confident in my abilities then i wouldn't mind leading something...so long as i see the point of it. but generally...i like to keep a ...low profile smile

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 08:36 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote