KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Passion of Christ DVD [Released Today 8-31-04]

will you buy the Passion of Christ?
This poll is closed.
yes 9 47.37%
no 8 42.11%
undecided 2 10.53%
Total: 19 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Passion of Christ DVD [Released Today 8-31-04]
Started by: Fiery Eyes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fiery Eyes

Smile Released Today 8-31-04

PASSION OF CHRIST? how many of you did get it, will get it, or will not get it? and why? whats your thought and views on this?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 04:28 AM
Fiery Eyes is currently offline Click here to Send Fiery Eyes a Private Message Find more posts by Fiery Eyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

well I was going to get get it but I decided to wipe my ass with my money instead. On Another note, I got the Indiana Jones Box set for just $25 eek!

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 04:45 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I will never purchase, or see this glorified snuff film. It was boring, repetitive and totally lame.

I picked up "The Passion of the Jew" today. The best thing associated with "The Passion of the Christ" Pure satirical gold.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 04:50 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Bought one for myself, and one as a gift for my parents.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 04:54 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Great acting. Superb adaptation from the Bible. everything about this movie was on key. The performances given were very emotional. however, this could not be a movie i could watch over again. Twice was enough for me, maybe at other points in my life i will watch this again, but i deffaintly couldnt buy it.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:02 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good flick but I just hate the fact that theres no special features.

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:03 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

No Special features It was for some odd reason a blockbuster and they did put on special features?

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:15 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Well, if Mel Gibson does release a special edition in the future, it just proves that he did make the film soley for money, and not for "faith" and all that bullshit.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:20 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Are there Passion of the Christ Action Figures and Lunch boxes?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:26 AM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just because a film made alot of money doesnt mean that why the director made it and so what if Mel liked the money,who wouldnt?His intention was too inform the money was just an extra.

Im dying for news of a special edition!

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:28 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

And I say this because time and time again people say "Oh, Mel didn't make this movie for money, money is irrelevent, blah blah blah, I'm naive" ect. If he does indeed release a special edition AFTER releasing this normal edition, then it's obviously soley for money.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:34 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Well, for the non cynical contingent, I tend to believe that with this release, he may have been focusing more on the actual movie. If the DVD is loaded with extras, it could easily take away from the quality of the film itself.

Boasting both DTS and Dolby Digital audio tracks, it's not that far fetched. Besides, when you take into consideration who will actually be buying this movie, the actual age group, extras probably aren't too important.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:42 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

How would including extra features along with what is currently on the DVD hurt the film in anyway? Makes no sense. It would just add more to the DVD.

Also, what special features do people actually want? Do people want running commentary by Mel Gibson? That would be really insightful - "In this scene Jesus is getting yelled at....oh, and this scene Jesus is getting smacked with a whip...oh, and now he's getting yelled at again...now that wierd guy who symbolizes satan is tempting him for the 4th time. Oh, now he's getting crucified. Now he's getting yelled at again....oh, he died....and that's the film, hope you enjoyed it".

Or perhaps people would like some behind the scenes featurettes. Because it's always funny to hear Mel Gibson turn any conversation about the film into self lavish and praise to help him push his bullshit agenda down everyones throat.

Special features aren't necessary. Unless they somehow get Trey Parker and Matt Stone somehow do a running commentary for the film...that would be great. I'd actually watch it again for that, and it might make the film entertaining.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:50 AM
jinXed by JaNx

If Mel banked the entire budget from his pocket. Also considering that making the movie could have tarnished and black balled his career and reputation. I dont think money was a driving aspect behind this film. You also have to know about Gibsons life. I mean the dude was beaton brutaly, his face was severly disfigured, he almost died. He joined the circus for a while and tottaly renounced his faith. He quit the circus and went back to his hometown.

At his lowest point and contemplating suicide, he sought out God ounce again. His priest who was very close to Mel restored his faith back in God. Mel joined the church to become a priest. over the years he studied the Bible through and through. His priest friend had collected money from the town and raised enough from fund raising to send Mel off to get the most advanced plastic surgey. He did so, and his face was completly transformed. After Spending one more year at the chrch, he moved to California where he ultimately fell into acting.

The guy has very strong beliefs,and has always made that known. He has never been scared to say that he believes in God. He never preached his beliefs on other people like movie stars do rather they be political or religous. Even with making this movie, gibson never tried to preach or impress his beliefs on people. He merely made a recreation of a scene from the Bible. He did it nearly Word for word, and diddnt include any self opinions or beliefs. I respect the guy alot for this. He always gives back to everyone, he even gave back to the studio's that just thought about funding the Passion.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:17 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
How would including extra features along with what is currently on the DVD hurt the film in anyway? Makes no sense. It would just add more to the DVD.

Of course it does. I would say it if I didn't know what I was talking about.

You can compromise the quality of the picture itself when you use up a solid portion of a DVD's lines of resolution, which is typically 500. Being a mostly audibly narrative movie, it's not that hard to believe that being someones grand invisioning of something they hold so dear, and having put their own money into it, they would want the movie itself to transfer as cleanly as possible. Audio and video.

What's with the hatred for Mel Gibson? I don't see the harm in someone using their celebrity for the GOOD of their convictions. Especially when they fnd the project themselves. It's a beautiful movie.

Here's a good DVD review that supports what I was touching on, in regards to the resolution/compression ratios.

Link

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:17 AM
BackFire

The solution for the whole resolution thing is simple. Do what most other movies do....one disc for the movie and one disc for special features. BAM! - Problem solved.

I'm sorry, but I have no respect for a person who claimed that his wife was going to hell because she believes differently than him. He said this in an interview.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:21 AM
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is There Going to be a Sequal?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:25 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire

I'm sorry, but I have no respect for a person who claimed that his wife was going to hell because she believes differently than him. He said this in an interview.

Well, aside from not once saying she was going to hell, what would it matter to you? No offense, but religion clearly isn't your thing.

Here's the article...

quote:
Mel Gibson has come under fire for being hard on Jews in his film “The Passion of the Christ” — but apparently, he feels that Protestants are also doomed to damnation. In fact, it looks like Gibson, a conservative Catholic, believes that his Episcopalian wife could be going to hell.

Gibson was interviewed by the Herald Sun in Australia, and the reporter asked the star if Protestants are denied eternal salvation. “There is no salvation for those outside the Church,” Gibson replied. “I believe it.”

He elaborated: “Put it this way. My wife is a saint. She’s a much better person than I am. Honestly. She’s, like, Episcopalian, Church of England. She prays, she believes in God, she knows Jesus, she believes in that stuff. And it’s just not fair if she doesn’t make it, she’s better than I am. But that is a pronouncement from the chair. I go with it.”

Protestantism is kind of like mixing Catholicism, which is already like "Christianity-Lite" with whatever religious sects YOU want. That's not what it is about.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Sep 1st, 2004 at 06:34 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:32 AM
BackFire

Yep, and by believing in a religion that states that anyone who doesn't believe what they belive is going to hell, in which case his wife is going to hell according to his beliefs, he's just as responsible and stupid as the religion itself. Just because he worded it kindly doesn't mean that it makes it okay. He still chooses to believe in a religion that condones this. If he really didn't like it he should not believe such nonsense. "Anyone who doesn't believe what I believe is going to be tortured horribly". There was another group that believed this, they were called Nazis.

Protestantism isn't anymore lazy then any other religions. They are all lazy and silly. Look at Christianity, it uses scare tactics to get most people to believe. "If you don't believe what I believe, you are damned to hell where you will be tormented and tortured for all eternity by the God who 'loves you'". They take the easy way out by doing this.

The only religion I have any respect for is Budhism. No scare tactics, no criptic nonsense, no prejudice beliefs saying that anyone who disagrees with you is going to hell forever. Just be a good person, be kind to others, and respect people, and you will be rewarded. Wow....it makes so much sense.

And you're right, religion is not my thing. I use logic, common sense, and intelegence to guide my views, not an ancient, prejudice book that preaches bullshit through stories that has no place in todays society and that should not be taken literally.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:43 AM
jinXed by JaNx

you are taking his words out of context. first of All the Catholic religoun says the way to Heaven is Jesus Christ. all you need to do is ask him into your heart and acknowledge him as your savior, and pray for your sins.It doesnt seem to me that Gibson was saying he believes that his wife is going to hell.

It appears to me that he acknowledges what the bible says about these things,and stood on her side in defense of this. God knew that the ten commandments were to much to ask of man, this is why he sent Jesus to us, as a bridge to him for the sins we would undoubtfully commit. I'm not tryin to preach. It is just The guy believes in God with all his heart, He has Put God and his Faith above all else. He has convictions and beliefs, and has the strength to stand behind them. there is nothing wrong wtih that, i mean this kind of devotion, and discipline is somthing most people lack today. you see to many people who believe in God and the catholic religoun. Believe in it with all their heart. their is no doubt of wheather or not there is a God, a heaven or a hell. Faith and god is eigther more important than anything, or is one of the most important things. these are beliefs that require us to stand behind them,not because a book tells us we have to, but because we choose to. Yes i think the Bible is taken to literally on certain points. Again though, The Bible is the way, to many people, the answer and the question, it is the light, so they put this above all else. I look at this kind of devotion and discipline to be the best person you can be while following Gods word even if it means you must sacrifice great things to you, to be honorable.

So if i believe and follow Gods word, i do not live my life with common sense or intelligence?

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Sep 1st, 2004 at 07:26 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 07:22 AM