KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » UK anti-Bush letters spark outrage

UK anti-Bush letters spark outrage
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ash007
Strength and Honour

UK anti-Bush letters spark outrage

quote:
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A pro-Kerry letter-writing campaign by Britain's left-leaning Guardian newspaper, targeting undecided U.S. voters, has provoked outrage across the Atlantic.

The paper has encouraged its readers to express their opinions on the November 2 presidential election to voters in the key swing state of Ohio -- to the fury of Clark County, about 45 miles west of Columbus, the state capital.

"Hey England, Scotland and Wales, mind your own business. We don't need weenie-spined Limeys meddling in our presidential election," was one of the e-mail reactions to the campaign.

The Fox national cable television network tore into the newspaper and even John Kerry's own Democrats expressed horror at the campaign.

"We all feel it is not a good idea. I think it was unwise. It is so poorly thought-out," said Sharon Manitta, spokeswoman in Britain for Democrats Abroad.

But the newspaper, whose cartoons regularly portray President George W. Bush as a semi-literate ape, was unrepentant.

"We did consult a number of opinions and made our decision accordingly," assistant features editor Paul MacInnes told Reuters. "It has been an operation to give our readers an opportunity to express their opinions."

With just two weeks to go before the election, Kerry is running neck and neck with Republican incumbent Bush.

Ohio is a key swing state which Bush won by just four percentage points in 2000, and Clark County is at its heart.

The campaign is a bid to sway voters on the county's electoral register who have declared themselves undecided.

As of Monday night, more than 14,000 people had registered to write to a voter in Clark County, which has a population of just 143,000.

Individuals like film director Ken Loach, spy writer John Le Carre, historian Antonia Fraser and opposition Liberal Democratic parliamentarian Menzies Campbell have all written in their own capacity -- not that their names necessarily carry much weight in Clark.

The Guardian, which simply bought a list of registered voters and extracted the undecided, pledged that it would only give out the name of each voter once, to avoid them being swamped by unsolicited mail from complete strangers.

"We know that in many ways this is the world's election, and we understand the passion and concern in many parts of the world over it. But I wonder how people here in the UK would react to Americans telling them how to vote," Democrats Abroad's Manitta said.

"This will certainly garner more votes for George Bush. I have strongly advised other media entities who have come to me and suggested this against doing so," she added.

While some e-mails to the Guardian from Democrats in Ohio were supportive, others suggested the campaign was misguided.

But their mild admonitions paled into insignificance against the more reactionary views received by the paper.

"Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions. If you want to save the world, begin with you own worthless corner of it," wrote one from Texas.

Source http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS...reut/index.html

All i can say damn right. I mean us Brits are entilted to our opinion but i dont think we have the right to force it onto other people by sending letters.

I think the eiditor of the Guardian should be sacked because i think he should have tried to stay impartial.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by ash007 on Oct 19th, 2004 at 06:57 PM

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 06:55 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedijunky1138
Dark Lord of The Sleepy

What right do the British have in an AMERICAN presidential race? We do not impose our opinions on parliamentary elections. Don't get me wrong I love the British but they need to leave well enough alone. I for one hope that Tony Blair should be Prime Minister for life but I have no say in that election so I stay out of it.

I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 07:38 PM
jedijunky1138 is currently offline Click here to Send jedijunky1138 a Private Message Find more posts by jedijunky1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Well if America didnt stick their nose in everyone's business, maybe noone would care.

But since we are allies, and you're wanting out soldiers to go fight, then we have the goddamned right to speak out about who gets ellected!

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 07:47 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I think foreign media can give their opinion on whatever they damn well please, but getting ppl to mail complete strangers to ask them to vote one way or another is a bad idea ALWAYS

altho in belgium there are certain rules for the media to follow.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Last edited by Fire on Oct 19th, 2004 at 08:13 PM

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 08:10 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

That's dumb, and anyone got a letter from them and took it seriously is even dumber, toss them in the trash where they belong.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 08:16 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Well if America didnt stick their nose in everyone's business, maybe noone would care.

But since we are allies, and you're wanting out soldiers to go fight, then we have the goddamned right to speak out about who gets ellected!

I agree with you Milla yes

Also, Jedi, why would you want Blair to be PM for life?? Madness.......

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 08:20 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

In the world today, what happens in one country can affect the whole world. So of course people in other countries are well within their rights to have opinions about the election here, especially with the war in Iraq going on right now and all that. But pushing opinions on others isn't cool, no matter the situation.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 08:25 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Stardust
In the world today, what happens in one country can affect the whole world. So of course people in other countries are well within their rights to have opinions about the election here, especially with the war in Iraq going on right now and all that. But pushing opinions on others isn't cool, no matter the situation.

Aren't we supposed to nations united? roll eyes (sarcastic)

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 08:27 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedijunky1138
Dark Lord of The Sleepy

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

I love your country. ok? We did not tell you to get involved with our cause you volanteered your help, which we Apreciate greatly. Do you wish Sadam was still in power? Come on folks the only reason this thread was started was to bash America. I have said repeatedly that I love British. I just feel that when it comes down to it the US gets a bad RAP.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 08:46 PM
jedijunky1138 is currently offline Click here to Send jedijunky1138 a Private Message Find more posts by jedijunky1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by jedijunky1138
I love your country. ok? We did not tell you to get involved with our cause you volanteered your help, which we Apreciate greatly. Do you wish Sadam was still in power? Come on folks the only reason this thread was started was to bash America. I have said repeatedly that I love British. I just feel that when it comes down to it the US gets a bad RAP.

This thread was started to bash the US?? Don't be ridiculous........

Well, bully for ash007 then, due for a serious @ss whooping from most KMC members I'd wager roll eyes (sarcastic)

No, you never actually asked us verbally, well, you didn't, but I'm sure it was suggested at some point.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 08:52 PM
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

quote:
Originally posted by jedijunky1138
]I just feel that when it comes down to it the US gets a bad RAP.

Maybe because it has been sticking its huge-ass nose in everything? The U.S. needs to lay off. And the British wanted to help? I think you mean "Tony Blair wanted to help". roll eyes (sarcastic) And him, Prime Minister, for life...? You've got to be kidding me.

Oh, and don't tell me you love my country, because I live in Texas.

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 09:30 PM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedijunky1138
Dark Lord of The Sleepy

wasn't talking to you mike. What You moving to the UK?

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 09:43 PM
futuramafan434
Robot Pimp

haha

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 09:43 PM
futuramafan434 is currently offline Click here to Send futuramafan434 a Private Message Find more posts by futuramafan434 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

I'm American and I don't really care if the paper is British or not, if a British paper wants to report on the American election there's nothing wrong with that. But I think that telling people to vote for one candidate is wrong for any paper. Even if they lean towards one side, they shouldn't just come out and say 'vote for Kerry in Ohio'. I can't say I know a whole lot about politics but thats just my 2 cents.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 10:17 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

I think its a jolly good idea chaps!

They need to give me the address of a Ohioan hillbilly!
I'll send them a letter they'll never forget!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 10:20 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

jolly good show tex!
like us british i think you should keep a stiff upper lip old chaps
now how about we have a nice cup of tea with some biscuits

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 10:30 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

yeah blink

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 11:04 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

The reason why the US gets a bad rap is because they illegally invaded another country, any country that does that gets a bad rap

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 08:38 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

a paper can influence and ask of people to vote for a certain member, there is nothing wrong with that... you have more than intelligence enough to comply or not to their wishes, you're not a 4 year old that needs a hand with everything

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 06:43 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

I think its ironic that some people here think they have the right to tell someone they don't have the right to do something...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 07:35 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote