KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Does Anyone Read Terry Pratchett???

Does Anyone Read Terry Pratchett???
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by titalice
I haven't read any of his books, I don't really like him either!

How can you form an opinion him if you have not looked at his work?

Old Post May 15th, 2005 01:13 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's_Alright
Estranged...

I love Discworld... I've read every Discworld book, and I'm still waiting for more!

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 08:31 PM
It's_Alright is currently offline Click here to Send It's_Alright a Private Message Find more posts by It's_Alright Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

What I've read I've loved...Good Omens is simply hilarious, and last night I bought The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 08:40 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vaya_the_elf
You know you love elves

I love Last Hero smile

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 09:57 PM
vaya_the_elf is currently offline Click here to Send vaya_the_elf a Private Message Find more posts by vaya_the_elf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digital Angel
Give me my sin again

ive read some of his books (about 7/8 of the dicworld ones) and the trilogy with "johnny and the bomb" etc. I love then because his sense of humour is really similar to mine, they make me laugh soo much.
Ive seen a couple of the books performed as plays as well, which was a amazing - i saw "wyrd sisters" performed at the open air theatre in cornwall, right by the sea! which was soo lush!! im currently working my way through the discworld series n hope to read all of them eventually! big grin

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 09:36 AM
Digital Angel is currently offline Click here to Send Digital Angel a Private Message Find more posts by Digital Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yumcarrots1987
Witch of the West

I got my boyfriend a signed copy of the new Terry Pratchett book, Wintersmith

No good deed goes unpunished

Old Post Oct 6th, 2006 05:28 PM
yumcarrots1987 is currently offline Click here to Send yumcarrots1987 a Private Message Find more posts by yumcarrots1987 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

I've read all of the Discworld series and own around 20 of them. I am aiming to own all of them eventually.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 6th, 2006 05:42 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Norge
Classified

What's Wintersmith like I haven't read it yet?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2006 06:33 PM
Norge is currently offline Click here to Send Norge a Private Message Find more posts by Norge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damo Iz God
Your local God

I love this guy and met him last year at witch fest he signed my 'going postal' book... My favourite of his books is Monsterous Regiment.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2006 06:50 PM
Damo Iz God is currently offline Click here to Send Damo Iz God a Private Message Find more posts by Damo Iz God Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Started The truth. Didn't seem horrible, but also not especially great. Stopped reading out of..well....boredom I guess...not great, certainly no Douglas Adams....

Old Post Oct 19th, 2006 06:55 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

The Truth isn't one of the better ones. Trust you to choose badly for your first taste stick out tongue

Try Equal Rites, Feet of Clay, Carpe Jugulum or Night Watch. Monstrous Regiment is also a good one.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 21st, 2006 03:56 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Syren
The Truth isn't one of the better ones. Trust you to choose badly for your first taste stick out tongue

Try Equal Rites, Feet of Clay, Carpe Jugulum or Night Watch. Monstrous Regiment is also a good one.

Why can't he just always write good books?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2006 11:30 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

You're not the type of person I'd want as an avid follower if I were Pratchett. Maybe you shouldn't bother, I'm sure he won't mind smile

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2006 11:02 PM
Bardock42

You're not the type of person I'd want as an avid follower if I were Pratchett. Maybe you shouldn't bother, I'm sure he won't mind smile

Maybe I won't bother....quite possible. Doesn't seem like there's anything in it for people that like good books.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2006 06:40 PM
Syren
dreaming

Originally posted by Bardock42
Maybe I won't bother....quite possible. Doesn't seem like there's anything in it for people that like good books.

It's all down to personal preference, I've read them and think they're good. You haven't read them and think they're not. Says it all really.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 27th, 2006 08:27 PM
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

I love Terry Pratchett. Night Watch is probably my favourite, I like lots of them though.
However I wasn't that impressed with The Monstrous Regiment.

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 01:34 AM
The Pict is currently offline Click here to Send The Pict a Private Message Find more posts by The Pict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

It's all down to personal preference, I've read them and think they're good. You haven't read them and think they're not. Says it all really.

Just that I actually started one...that you then admitted was bad. I think you are just a fanboy, fangirl. But since I own a second book of his anyways, (Thief of Time or whatever) I shall do more research, although I quite like my time and don't feel the need to waste them on probably bad books. I liked the "De Worde" Character in The truth though..he was cool...sadly all the others sucked...generally. Well...not sucked...but just weren't great. You know who writes good books? Robert Heinlein. You should read them....I should also read more...cause he writes good books. I like him. He is good. So far all of his books I have read have been good, too. I like when an author writes only good books. Then I think he/she (but who am I kidding..there are no good female authors) is a good writer. Not like Terry Pratchett...who also writes bad books...if he even writes good ones.

Last edited by Bardock42 on Oct 29th, 2006 at 04:35 PM

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 04:30 PM
Norge
Classified

Bardock, can I just ask, as you are in Germany do you read German translations or the english versions? Pratchet uses lots of play on words maybe they don't translate or you just don't get the humour if you're reading the english version. Just curious.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 11:28 AM
Norge is currently offline Click here to Send Norge a Private Message Find more posts by Norge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Norge
Bardock, can I just ask, as you are in Germany do you read German translations or the english versions? Pratchet uses lots of play on words maybe they don't translate or you just don't get the humour if you're reading the english version. Just curious.

I read the original. But maybe it just lacks humour? Sounds most reasonable to me.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 11:32 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Nah, I don't like Terry Pratchett. He's not that good.

"Oooo, and then as the turtle parachuted down on the back of a watermelon, it had the time to remark, "Well, the weather is always nice on a Tuesday, so maybe I should make some cheese". Later, as the f*cking rain plip-ploped from the sky, a little bird caught a worm, and sent it by Fed Ex to its friend, Tom, who was a Koala."

Usually, it's something like that. Though not quite as good, obviously.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 11:39 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote