KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Chosen One

The Chosen One
Started by: Emperor Revan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
the_Undying

Everyone is overlooking one strangely LARGE part of the so-called "prophecy" : the word BALANCE. How can there be balance if all of one half of the force wielders are dead? There were TONS more jedi than sith in ep III, there was only one sith: Siddius (Dooku got murdered, shut up). At the end, there were exactly two on both the light and dark sides, Yoda and Obi-Wan on the light side, and Siddius and Anakin on the Dark Side (Luke excluded of course... not a whole lot of ass-whooping can be had by a day-old newborn. That's balance, guys.

Old Post May 30th, 2005 12:59 PM
Click here to Send the_Undying a Private Message Find more posts by the_Undying Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the_Undying

It has just occurred to me that my previous statement has already been made by someone apparently much more coherent than myself. please excuse my ignorance.

Thank you,
your mom

Last edited by the_Undying on May 30th, 2005 at 01:44 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2005 01:34 PM
Click here to Send the_Undying a Private Message Find more posts by the_Undying Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

All of you are just looking at Balance in a very simplistic dualistic fashion. George Lucas does not see this as balance. The idea that for there to be Balance there has to be equal numbers of Jedi and Sith is just silly- and that isn't what hapepns at the end anyway, as we are left with NO Sith, and the good guys Luke and Leia alive, so it is doubly silly. It really shows a lack of imagination to get stuck over this- or having read too much bad fantasy.

George Lucas made it clear that imbalance is evil. The Sith are evil, they bring imbalance. The Jedi are good, they bring Balance.

The Sith unbalance the Force. Anakin kills the Sith and therefore balance is restored. Therefore he is the Chosen One.

You could have a billion Jedi and no Sith and things would be balanced- in fact, they are much more likely to be, as that is what the Jedi do.

Simple as that- absolutely no more debate needed.

To answer the original question, no-one thinks Anakin is necessarily powerful because he will re-balance the Force. However, it is clear that the Chosen One is labelled in the Prophecy as being very powerful, because that is how Qui-Gon recognises him.

Meanwhile, the thing about it all being mis-read is because the Jedi never know. We know it was ultimately right because we have GL to tell us. But the people in the story do not, and they can doubt it.

The answer is given to us in ROTJ.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 30th, 2005 at 01:53 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2005 01:40 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the_Undying

God bless you, sir or madam, for actually making sense where several have failed (myself included). Granted, yours was an opinion I personally held, as well, but playing devil's advocate is fun too, ya know?
Great job, though, of making a concise, seemingly irresputable, post.

Old Post May 30th, 2005 01:49 PM
Emperor Revan
Most Powerful Sith Lord

Woo hoo, he's the chosen one even though others could've been too, sure he destroyed the Sith but there still wouldn't have been balance without Luke to keep the Jedi alive and restore the order (not to mention turn Vader back into Anakin).

Who makes these prophecies anyway? Why would it matter if this guy is gonna do it if someone else would've done it earlier and kept balance if not for the Chosen One?

Thanks to Janus for the great Sig.

Old Post May 30th, 2005 03:23 PM
Click here to Send Emperor Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Emperor Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TraptUnderIce
Brand New God

I'm confused how killling all the Sith balances it out and Anakin didn't even kill all the Sith. He left Sidious alive and became one himself. Doesn't him becoming one make him destroy the balance?

Old Post May 30th, 2005 11:43 PM
Click here to Send TraptUnderIce a Private Message Find more posts by TraptUnderIce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Achilles X
Restricted

Account Restricted

are you serious?

vader killed sidious, maybe you should watch the movies before posting on the forum. anyways GL says anakin is the chosen one, but how he was born is left up to the fans. whether he was a creation of plagueus or born through the will of the force.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Achilles X a Private Message Find more posts by Achilles X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TraptUnderIce
I'm confused how killling all the Sith balances it out and Anakin didn't even kill all the Sith. He left Sidious alive and became one himself. Doesn't him becoming one make him destroy the balance?

The point is that he does it in Return of the Jedi!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 31st, 2005 03:17 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthMandalore
Mandalorian Sith Lord

am i alone in thinking revan was 'the chosen one'?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 05:24 AM
Click here to Send DarthMandalore a Private Message Find more posts by DarthMandalore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
The point is that he does it in Return of the Jedi!

Bottom line being that there would be NO DAMN MOVIES IF THERE WASN'T SITH! I GUARENTEE IT! And even if it was, it would be one hell of a boring movie. It would consist of Jedi waltzing around kill smugglers or some shit. And no one would be able to kill them because no one else would be wielding lightsabers to stop them from killing the smugglers, damnit!

Sidious gets his ass bench pressed into a generator. Bottom line. Doesn't matter when it happened. He died. Boom. Zip. Done.

Mace should have killed Sidious in his damn office and Anakin probably would have been better off.

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 05:30 AM
Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperor Revan
Most Powerful Sith Lord

Originally posted by DarthMandalore
am i alone in thinking revan was 'the chosen one'?

Well, in EU (light side) Revan does destroy the Sith and bring peace to the galaxy so sure you could say so.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 01:58 PM
Click here to Send Emperor Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Emperor Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

There were probably a lot of chosen one's in the time of the Galaxy... That guy Jolee talked about who destroyed the Krath was a chosen one he had a great destiny and furfilled it by dying.

Revan could have been a chosen one, Bastilla could have been. Nomi could have been one, Ulic could have been one. There probably isn't one, prophecy's come and go as they please a lot of the time.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 03:44 PM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthMandalore
Mandalorian Sith Lord

"the chosen one" might be a title. you know every hundred years or so a new "chosen one" comes and saves the galaxy.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 09:21 PM
Click here to Send DarthMandalore a Private Message Find more posts by DarthMandalore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whie Malreaux

Episode III Book

I believe in the book, Yoda or someone mentions that the prophecy might have been misread. Or not misread, just misinterpreted. When bring the force into balance, the Jedi would obviously see this as destroying the Dark Side. But from the Sith point of view, it could mean the destruction of the Jedi. I think someone brought up the question of maybe the light side of the force out ways the dark side. ie the jedi controlling the republic. If that is true, then Anakin turning to the dark side would only be right to bring balance. I don't know, anything can be right in this matter.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2005 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Whie Malreaux a Private Message Find more posts by Whie Malreaux Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clawed The Bum
Back In Black

imagin what would of happened if anackin never existed. he saved obi's life 9 times( literally). doku wouldn't have been sacrifised for anackin therefore doku and sidiuos would still be alive. mace would of still been dead becuase he wouldn't know that sidiuos was a sith lord and probably would of died from the clones. jar jar would have died( curse you anackin). and well many things but in the end doku and sidiuos would of ruled and luke and obi and no one would of been there to stop him. if it weren't for anackin there would of been at least less balance. so therefore i do bieleve that anackin was the chosen one.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2005 08:42 PM
Click here to Send Clawed The Bum a Private Message Find more posts by Clawed The Bum Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Somebody

Jar Jar is the Chosen One! Lol.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2005 05:40 AM
Click here to Send Darth Somebody a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Somebody Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Teeron
Dark Lord Of Naboo

Didnt you ever hear on EPI when she says "There was no father... I carried him, I gave birth to him, i cared for him..." or something along those lines?

Old Post Jul 5th, 2005 08:37 AM
Click here to Send Darth Teeron a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Teeron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperor Revan
Most Powerful Sith Lord

Originally posted by Clawed The Bum
imagin what would of happened if anackin never existed. he saved obi's life 9 times( literally). doku wouldn't have been sacrifised for anackin therefore doku and sidiuos would still be alive. mace would of still been dead becuase he wouldn't know that sidiuos was a sith lord and probably would of died from the clones. jar jar would have died( curse you anackin). and well many things but in the end doku and sidiuos would of ruled and luke and obi and no one would of been there to stop him. if it weren't for anackin there would of been at least less balance. so therefore i do bieleve that anackin was the chosen one.

If Anakin were never around then Mace, the other 3 masters, etc. would've been at the temple to combat the clones. Not to mention Anakin did kill some Jedi which wouldn't happen. Obi and Yoda would've gone to fight Sidious and the Emperor would probably have died.

In any case, I don't like to deal in the "if they were never born". I still don't think Anakin is the Chosen one because Mace would've destroyed the Sith if not for Anakin, more Jedi would've survived if not for Anakin, and it was only because Luke brought him back that Anakin killed the Emperor. So you could say Luke killed Vader which was half the job and restored Anakin who killed the Emperor. Or you could say that the Emperor destroyed the last Sith lord since Vader died after the Emperor. I like the first one myself. Not to mention Luke was the one to restore the Jedi order and it would've died because of Anakin if not for Luke.

Next, according to Obi in the ROTS novel, it doesn't even have to be a Jedi that brings balance. So Anakin being supposedly created by the Force wouldn't have anything to do with the Chosen One. Lastly, I don't even think the Force is Anakin's "father". I think Shmi got drunk, knocked unconscious, mind tricked or just plain didn't want to talk about it. Maybe she got raped by some bum off the street and didn't want to tell Qui-Gon that.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2005 06:29 PM