KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Why do people not like Star Wars?

Why do people not like Star Wars?
Started by: Robin Darkside

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

YEah, I was kinda refferring to the classic Trilogy with those comments.

I can see why people dont like the prequels, they have a ton of fundamental faults that the originals never had. You need to be a fan or a very forgiving newcomer to enjoy them.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 11:45 AM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geoff_Death

What confused me, is like, 20 odd people I know who didn't really even know what Star Wars was until the trailers for ROTS went to the midnight screening, It was just like some thing that everyone was doing, and it was cool to stay up on a school night or something...

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 12:31 PM
Click here to Send Geoff_Death a Private Message Find more posts by Geoff_Death Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Boris

In my experience people who don't like Star Wars are confused by it, do not understand it, or seem to think that it is 'geeky'.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 12:38 PM
Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thornbane
Darth Thornbane

Worried Well...

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but the reason people aren't interested (the tweenies) is for the exact reasons listen in this thread. Building model R2s, dressing as wookies, and practicing on your huttees, or building your life around Yoda's teachings (which are just general low-level budhist) is just plain lame to the general population.

It's the same reason you won't see Star Trek back on the air for another ten years or so.

The die-hard fans alienate the non-fans.

Appreciate the movies for what they are (bubble-gum space operas) and you're fine. The minute you step over that, you're alienating the "normies"

I love Star Wars. I love the EU. But the pure geek-dom drives people away.

Happened to Star Wars. Happened to Star Trek. Happened to Dungeons and Dragons. The list goes on.

Appreciate the movies!

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 03:50 PM
Click here to Send Thornbane a Private Message Find more posts by Thornbane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArynCrinn

What is worse than people who who bash it, are people who have never seen any of them and know nothing about it and bash it or say they don't like it.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 10:56 PM
Click here to Send ArynCrinn a Private Message Find more posts by ArynCrinn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
green dude

When i was say 5 -8 i didn't really know what SW was and i heard some bad things about it but i didn't bad mouth it.

I saw the first it was ok but saw third mayjor like but i never bad mouth it but because it has to do with space and tec. it's for geeekzz???.

You know what one of my friends is a geek and she says starwars is for geeks ? im like confused confused but i think it for those who have a brain and the dialoge and everything is simple to understand it's not rocket science.

But people just only like Sister hood of traveling pants that's a little scary they share their pant's weird no guy would do that and i wouldn't stick out tongue.

But if don't like something keep your mouth shut if you bad mouth SW i would cut your mouth off with a lightsaber if i had one stick out tonguebut still don't like tuff luck.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 12:02 AM
Click here to Send green dude a Private Message Find more posts by green dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
lol you know what I don't understand? Walking into the theatre to pick up our tickets May 18th this group of 20 y/o girls is walking by and they say, "what is Star Wars anyways?" and another replies, "I think it's about aliens fighting or something..."

If you don't like it that's fine, but how do you spend 20 years on Earth without knowing what it is? eek!

Have they been in a coma for 29 years!!??mad

sorry it just makes my blood boil! my dad admitted to me that he couldnt get into Star Wars, and he's only saw parts of of a few episode's - which im fine about. I accept its not everyone's cup of tea, but atleast he knows the basics, like:

Anakin becomes Darth Vader.
Luke and Leia are brother and sis, and Vader is there father.
He's heard of Yoda (who hasnt?)
He's heard of Han Solo (who hasnt?)
Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc, etc, etc!

Its impossible not to know anything about Star Wars whether you like it or not. Its a worldwide phenomenon, that has pretty much been apart of lifes for almost 3 decades!

These people need to be shot -nuff saidstick out tongue

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 12:18 AM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i know people dont like the new star wars movies, because they are poorly written and for the most part poorly acted. Why they dont like the oringals is beyond me.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 01:46 AM
Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sairarouge

I heard two girls talking the other day.

Girl A: Man, Star Wars sucks eh?

Girl B: Yeah. 'Look at me, I have 2 horns and my best friend is a robot'.

Me: Staring blankly at the 2 stupid stupid girls.

Uhh...yes... blink

Sarah

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 01:52 AM
Click here to Send sairarouge a Private Message Find more posts by sairarouge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
filmcat

I'll answer the question as to why I personally don't like Star Wars, and I'll do it respectfully, but frankly. I recognize that many people love the whole star wars universe and I think I can see why.

The main reason I don't like SW is that the story and execution feel hokey and contrived. I think there's a good story in there, but it got wrecked by a weird sort of excess, extremely schmaltzy humor and a desperate attempt to validate itself with a sense of importance that the story and execution don't merit.

Throw in characters like jar jar binks and I'm reaching for the air sickness bag.

My personal arc into science fiction on the screen began like a lot of people with Star Trek (TOS) then 2001: A Space Odyssey, which, for me, remains the one of the high water marks of science fiction film. I also have a deep respect for Fritz Lang's Metropolis, which, 87 years later, puts many SF films to shame. I mean, 1927, people, and he absolutely RAWKED it.

I expect science fiction to be largely dark in message and story and I absolutely 100% expect it to be free of slapstick cornball goober-grade humor.

On the upside, I think it's great that so many people view Star Wars reverently as a kind of mythology they can aspire to...that is one of the things fiction should do. I also respect the things that were invented for the little sets..IIRC, something with chains and gears to ensure that camera fly-bys would behave as though on a real craft...That's pretty clever and very effective, and I think holds up as well or better than any other aspect of those first films.

thank you for reading,

filmcat

Last edited by filmcat on Nov 16th, 2014 at 09:14 PM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2014 09:11 PM
Click here to Send filmcat a Private Message Find more posts by filmcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Thanks, film cat. Just pointing out that SW is not science fiction. It's a fairy tale.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 07:08 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

It's a mix, the later stuff added a lot of nuance.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2014 08:07 PM
Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It's not a mix, there's no future, there's no relationship with earth, there's no philosophical view on science and mankind... it is space fiction. Not SCIENCE fiction.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2014 10:35 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

From Wikipedia:

Distinguishing between science fiction and fantasy, Rod Serling claimed that the former was "the improbable made possible" while the latter was "the impossible made probable".

Old Post Dec 27th, 2014 12:06 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

There ya go, SW is fantasy.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 03:15 PM