KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » sports that aren't sports

sports that aren't sports
Started by: wuTa

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
wuTa

sports that aren't sports

theres bowling, pool/billiards, ping pong i;m sure there more that i cant think of...i just dont consider any of these sports because they dont really require any athleticism

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 07:48 AM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

well, then I suggest you play a SERIOUS game of pingpong roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 10:10 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Golf must be the ultimate non sport.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 10:47 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P
living bank advertisement

basically pingpong has no rule...but table tennis has...and yes, it is a sport...

wuTa I suggest you take a look in a dictionary : sports aren't compulsorily based on athleticism...Some are, but that's your definition, and if we follow it we could conclude for instance that going to the gym, doing exercises to develop one's muscles, or doing body building could be considered as sports.

Here's the definition from my dictionary : "Physical activity practised in the way of game, struggle and effort, which suppose a methodical training, the respect of a set of rules and disciplines." (Le petit Robert Dictionary)

Please don't try to think you are smarter than History and all the people who have thought hard about defining the concept and the various sports. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 12:08 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

sorry 'boot that GP; overhere we use pingpong and tabletennis as synonims

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 02:47 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

WWE wrestling isn't a sport. Ideally wrestling in and of itself is a sport, but WWE can't be considered a sport because although they physically compete....the outcome of the match is predetermined for plot reasons.

WWE is entertainment television...not a sport. Most Extreme Elimination on Spike TV is more of a sport than modern wrestling.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 03:22 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

quote:
Originally posted by G.P
basically pingpong has no rule...but table tennis has...and yes, it is a sport...

wuTa I suggest you take a look in a dictionary : sports aren't compulsorily based on athleticism...Some are, but that's your definition, and if we follow it we could conclude for instance that going to the gym, doing exercises to develop one's muscles, or doing body building could be considered as sports.

Please don't try to think you are smarter than History and all the people who have thought hard about defining the concept and the various sports. roll eyes (sarcastic)

i know what the definition of sport is...like you said this thread is based on my definition of a sport and i expected people to argue there points against it but i think your takin it lil too seriously.....to me a sport must require at least some athleticism i dont see any with the things i mentioned...body buildying is a sport by the way

i agree with link that pro wrestling isnt a sport its entertainmen but i disagre with amity about golf i use to think it wasnt a sport but i cant golf worth a shi*t...and it takes at least some athleticsm to drive a golfball 300+ yards

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 04:45 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

bowling, pool, and ping pong are every bit a sport as badmiton and golf.

They take hours and hours and hours of practice, and they require controlled usage of your muscles in order to compete.

The better people get at the 3, the more competitive the sport becomes. Billiards in your friends garage or game room would be similar to playing horse in basketball...professionals could beat you without letting you even hit the ball.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 04:54 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ElectricBugaloo
LP

i really don't consider figure skating a sport.

or golf.

or billiards. I just kinda know what I consider a sport.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:07 PM
ElectricBugaloo is currently offline Click here to Send ElectricBugaloo a Private Message Find more posts by ElectricBugaloo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
WWE wrestling isn't a sport. Ideally wrestling in and of itself is a sport, but WWE can't be considered a sport because although they physically compete....the outcome of the match is predetermined for plot reasons.

WWE is entertainment television...not a sport. Most Extreme Elimination on Spike TV is more of a sport than modern wrestling.
You see, I would look upon that a different way... I'd say that WWE Wrestling isn't wrestling, period. For if you consider Greco-Roman wrestling, well,...this is a sport !

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:10 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

I like pool a LOT... and bowling...and table-tennis.. they're all very much sports..

Have fun||

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:16 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

the only sport I have some problems with considering a purely PHYSICAL sport is chess... though when it comes to mental sports, that's of course number one

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:18 PM
G.P

quote:
Originally posted by wuTa
i know what the definition of sport is...like you said this thread is based on my definition of a sport and i expected people to argue there points against it but i think your takin it lil too seriously.....to me a sport must require at least some athleticism i dont see any with the things i mentioned...body buildying is a sport by the way

i agree with link that pro wrestling isnt a sport its entertainmen but i disagre with amity about golf i use to think it wasnt a sport but i cant golf worth a shi*t...and it takes at least some athleticsm to drive a golfball 300+ yards
Oh, don't worry I don't take that too seriously...but what I'm seeing is that this week people are really eager to question everything in this forum... wink

But please go ahead, give us a definition, in order to create a real civilized debate... smile

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:18 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I dunno about WWE, but I do consider Sumo to be wrestling. Not a lot of people of the western world consider Sumo a real sport. I think it should be regarded as a sport.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:19 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

WD => I don't know about the rest of the Western world, but here it is absolutely unquestionable that Sumo is a Sport...

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:21 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Is a very traditional sport. Is expanding more in America. I was watching ESPN the other day and it seems that more wrestlers are getting into Sumo. I think that there have been Sumo Champions from Hawaii, but I'm not really sure.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:25 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
bowling, pool, and ping pong are every bit a sport as badmiton and golf.

They take hours and hours and hours of practice, and they require controlled usage of your muscles in order to compete.

The better people get at the 3, the more competitive the sport becomes. Billiards in your friends garage or game room would be similar to playing horse in basketball...professionals could beat you without letting you even hit the ball.

you make a ton of good points but just coz it requires hours and hours of practice i really wouldnt consider it a sports...i look at fishing as a hobby not a sport but you can say that requires hours and hours of practice...some people who hunt say thats a sport because you have to control you muscles to hold a gun and hunting is the furthers thing from a sport (unless you hunting with a bow, than you can probly make an argument)....have you seen bowlers or pool players..not too many muscles i know you dont have to have mucles to be good at a sports but if you ask me you have at least be in shape

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:31 PM
yerssot

up to this point i have yet to see a fat bowler ...

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:34 PM
wuTa

really? i've seen quite a bit...there not like fat fat but there definetly outa shape at least from what i've seen but i dont watch alot of bowling but from what i've seen i defenitly say that at least half could use a trip to the gym or a jog

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:37 PM
Linkalicious

In my home town, they've had the national bowling championships for the past 3 years. i don't go to the lanes and watch, but i catch some of Mr. Webber on TV.

It takes some considerate arm strength to throw a ball down a lane accurately enough to throw strikes consecutively. If throwing a ball down a lane with precise aim isn't a sport....then what the hell is baseball?

Sports are competition. hell arm wrestling could be considered a sport. As for Billiards players....i'd love to see you go one on one with a professional. It's about angles, ball placement, spin...a lot of factors.

Everything you've mentioned so far might not be a sport to you because you don't do it competitively, but it doesn't make it any less of a sport. Instead of leisurly kicking your friends butts around, you should try going against some real competition. You go head to head with a pro bowler or pool player...and from knowing you...your competitive nature would make you try harder and harder until you got good at it. Isn't that what a sport is?

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:38 PM