KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » sports that aren't sports

sports that aren't sports
Started by: wuTa

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
wuTa

listen....i'd be the 1st to admit that these bowlers or pool players good kick my ass at what they do they would KICK MY ASS!...but throwing a baseball 90 mph or a curve that can break 8 inches aint the same as throwing a bowling ball...just coz its competitve dont make it a sport....if you took the syncranized olympic team and threw them agains me and some friends they would kick my ass but i dont see the how its a sport...horseshoes is competitve too and i know someone whos always kickin my ass in it but just coz i'm always the last one out there trying to beat him dont mean i'm gonna consider horseshoes a sport

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:47 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P
living bank advertisement

please watch you language...and I think you're still obliged to give a definition...you can't just say "this is a sport...that one too...oh no this third one isn't". You have to base your opinion on other arguments that the fact that 'it "kicks your ass"'.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:52 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

Dont care much for those two "sports" particularly so i won't defend them.

but damn those horse shoes are fun when you're drunk!

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 05:52 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

quote:
Originally posted by G.P
please watch you language...and I think you're still obliged to give a definition...you can't just say "this is a sport...that one too...oh no this third one isn't". You have to base your opinion on other arguments that the fact that 'it "kicks your ass"'.

i dont think your even reading my posts...i said that bowlers and pool players dont requre alot if any athleticism and if you wanna call something a sport you need athletes wich requires athleticism

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 10:21 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

I've been reading your posts...That isn't a real definition, but if you consider that it's ok, then I'm ok with it.

So I definitely think that a sport does not compulsorily require athletes (at least athletes the way you understand it). My point is that the athletes we know today are only an evolution of the idea of an athlete, that has been existing for more than 2500 years now... If you just take one sport player from 1900 for instance, he absolutely does not look like the packs of muscles we can see nowadays...The particularity of a sport is that it can be a hobby, and even both a hobby and a sport at the same time... I think your problem is that you're suggesting that sport is only professional sport (with huge amounts of money at stake, medias,...). Well to me the great thing about sport is that it's universal and you don't need to be an athlete to practise one.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 11:00 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

man i never said anything about to be a sport you need to have large amouts of money or media or whatever if thats wht your getting from my posts than your waaaay of...i said before tha althletes dont have to have mucsles but i would at least think they would have to be in shape you dont need to be ripped to shreds to be in shape..i've made my agruments about what i consider sports and hwat i dont and i agree that there are sports that are also hobbies and sports at the same time but if you take something like fishing some people are gonna say that its a sport or a hobby or both i say its a hobby and not a sport because there is no athleticism involved with fishing....if you wanna play sports even as a hobby your gonna need to require at least some athletism

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 03:37 AM
G.P

quote:
Originally posted by wuTa
man i never said anything about to be a sport you need to have large amouts of money or media
I've never said you did. What's more I never said that either.

When I evoke this it is to emphasize the idea that " a current athlete" (or athleticism) is obligatorily influenced by those (money, media). My point is to show you that what you're calling 'athletes' or 'athleticism' are totally relative concepts. There was a time people shouldn't need to be really athletic to practise any sport...

Well I don't know about fishing, but it is generally considered as a sport when it come to competitions.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 06:22 AM
wuTa

and just coz its competitive that dont make it a sport...at least to me it dont...almost anything can be competitive like i said horseshoes is competitive but horseshoes aint a sport and just coz its competitive that dont make it a sport

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 04:23 PM
yerssot

from what I hear (and think), the only thing you consider sports are
1) the things YOU like playing
2) the ones you have to be ultrafit for (having less than 4% bodyfat)

and from those two, I can easily say, if they are true, you're way off

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 04:50 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

nope that aint the case at all..if thats what your takin from my posts than your off....i fish sometimes but i dont consider it a sport so thats somethin I like to do but dont consider it a sport, bowling can be fun but i dont consider that a sport either.....football (american) lineman are far from having 4% body fat and there athletes even soccer/football players dont have 4% body fat and there athletes... like i said before you dont need to be ripped to shreds to be an athlete

some people would consider pool/billiards a sport....that means you would have to consider the best pool players to be athletes....what is so athletic about shooting pool?...playing cards is competitve too and it takes practice to be good at that...are you gonna tell me player poker is a sport or that poker players are athletes

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 05:28 PM
badsymbiote
AMERICA EATS ITS YOUNG

Aside from chess, I think that most of the above are sports. They all require movement and activity, ability and timing, good judgment and anticipation. I thing the only reason chess would even be considered a sport is because it is a GAME.

Non of y'all mentioned fishing or race car driving. I don't consider those to be sports, and yet, they both occupy their fair share of the cable broadcasting time slots. They even broadcast nationwide Spelling Bees on ESPN--is that a sport? Certainly not, but it is a competition.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2004 06:33 AM
badsymbiote is currently offline Click here to Send badsymbiote a Private Message Find more posts by badsymbiote Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

quote:
....i fish sometimes but i dont consider it a sport so thats somethin I like to do but dont consider it a sport,

quote:
Originally posted by badsymbiote

Non of y'all mentioned fishing or race car driving. .

smile

Old Post Jun 19th, 2004 08:00 PM
badsymbiote
AMERICA EATS ITS YOUNG

Yeah, I saw that right after I posted. I would be embarassed, but there is alot of content in the thread, so I can live with myself. Thanks for bringing to my attention, though.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 05:04 AM
badsymbiote is currently offline Click here to Send badsymbiote a Private Message Find more posts by badsymbiote Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Poker isnt a sport, its gambling. Chess isnt a sport, its a board game. Racing any type of motorized vehicle isn't a sport, its driving.

Pool and Bowling ARE sports, sports for fat people. They require much more than just pressing a pedal or moving a game peice, but they aren't sports that you run around getting all sweaty over. They require a good amount of hand eye co-ordination, just like every other sport. Archery is a sport, and you don't run around in that one. I dunno if fishing is a sport...all you do is sit there and drink beer, waiting for something to bite...

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 05:38 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
badsymbiote
AMERICA EATS ITS YOUNG

eek! Ha! You're so funny sometimes. I guess DRUNKEN fishing could be a sport.

"oh, man! How the hell did that one git away?"

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 07:38 AM
wuTa

quote:
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
Poker isnt a sport, its gambling. Chess isnt a sport, its a board game. Racing any type of motorized vehicle isn't a sport, its driving.

Pool and Bowling ARE sports, sports for fat people. They require much more than just pressing a pedal or moving a game peice, but they aren't sports that you run around getting all sweaty over. They require a good amount of hand eye co-ordination, just like every other sport. Archery is a sport, and you don't run around in that one. I dunno if fishing is a sport...all you do is sit there and drink beer, waiting for something to bite...

race car driving is more of a sport than pool or bowling...they drive at 200 mph have and to make decisions in less than a second or there dead, not to mention the reflexes they have to have i dont even like race car driving and i think its more of a sport than pool or bowling.....what reflexes to you have to have in pool or bowling? none....your right that most of the pool players and bowlers are fat and athletes can be fat but these guys arent even in shape so are you gonna tell me these guys are athletes?....jus coz theres hand eye co-ordination dont make it a sport...you need hand eye co-ordination to play darts and darts aint a sport...aint even close to bein a sport

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 10:55 AM
Spearhead
Prophet

I was just getting to racing...personally, I don't think of it a sport. Yes, WuTa, you're right, they do need to make split second decisions or they're dead, but in some ways, that's no different from just driving. A kid comes running after a rolling ball in the evening, the lighting is poor so you can't really see him, and then suddenly you do, and you've gotta screech to a stop--that's not much different than NASCAR or Formula-1 racing. However, supposedly racing it the number one viewed "sport" on TV over in the US (I'm not sure how accurate that is)--and if that is the case, I'm fairly sure that's just for the crashes.

Anyways, car racing doesn't involve physical prowess, and in that case, I don't think qualifies as a sport.

I'm a signature!

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 01:53 PM
Spearhead is currently offline Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Traditional "pub" games should not be considerred sports.

Darts and Snooker/Pool? Sports?

I do not consider anything to be a sport when the champion competes with a dinner jacket and/or a beer belly.

If these games are sports, then I think we should see Computer Games tournaments on Sky Sports too.

People laugh at video games, but seeing the likes of Snooker, Darts and even POKER on Sky SPORTS is OK?

This world is arse-backwards.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 02:09 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

quote:
your right that most of the pool players and bowlers are fat and athletes can be fat but these guys arent even in shape so are you gonna tell me these guys are athletes

You just contradicted yourself there. Maybe you wanna change that ?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 03:00 PM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

no i didnt i just didnt explain....look at offensive lineman there fat but there still in shape...i agree that i highy doubt that nascar is the #1 sport and i dont know if i would conisder it a sport but its defintly more os a sport than bowling or pool...makin spit second decisions goin 160 mph is a little differ than makine a spilt second decision goin 25mph to avoid a kid

red superfly- i couldnt agree more

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 06:45 PM