KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Why did Marvel go bancrupt in the nineties

Why did Marvel go bancrupt in the nineties
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why did Marvel go bancrupt in the nineties

I know they overextended themselves and turned fans off with 3000000 different covers on each 1 issue etc.
But was their more to it?

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 02:59 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

onslaught saga/heroes reborn

and that fuqqin richards kid

DarkCrawler >>> Your Favorite Sig-Maker

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:04 PM
#16 is currently offline Click here to Send #16 a Private Message Find more posts by #16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Pointinel
onslaught saga/heroes reborn

and that fuqqin richards kid

Yes I think they all ruined it as wellsmile

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:12 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solidus Snake
The General

poor stories resulting in poor sales
image tearing stuff up
high levels of debt
only books w/ wolverine were selling
too many gimmicks w/o enough quality

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:12 PM
Solidus Snake is currently offline Click here to Send Solidus Snake a Private Message Find more posts by Solidus Snake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Solidus Snake
poor stories resulting in poor sales
image tearing stuff up
high levels of debt
only books w/ wolverine were selling
too many gimmicks w/o enough quality

So true, is it better now?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:13 PM
dawsey28

Wrong forum

moving.

Oh wait, I'm not a moderator, am I? embarrasment

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:19 PM
dawsey28 is currently offline Click here to Send dawsey28 a Private Message Find more posts by dawsey28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dawsey28
Wrong forum

moving.

Oh wait, I'm not a moderator, am I? embarrasment

I've asked for it to be moved my mistake smile

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:20 PM
Solidus Snake
The General

Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
So true, is it better now?

not as many gimmicks

wolvie isnt the only money maker

stories are a .......sigh.....not much better

making tons of money from the movies.

ultimates line kicking ass

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:22 PM
Solidus Snake is currently offline Click here to Send Solidus Snake a Private Message Find more posts by Solidus Snake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

I like the ultimates...

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:23 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

you do? damn.

why they have to make hulk such a puss there? and why does it seems that tony and thor got sumthin going? damn

ultimate x-men and spidey are my shit tho

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:25 PM
#16 is currently offline Click here to Send #16 a Private Message Find more posts by #16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HigH ScholaR

i believe they put more money into developing books which were pointless and wasn't selling

Less poeple intrested in comics which most were rubbish and at times insignificant stories.

to much activities to business conducted for their revenue to kep up with
i.e marvel uk now owned by panini

i also think franklin is a pointless character (heores reborn embarrasment )

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:27 PM
HigH ScholaR is currently offline Click here to Send HigH ScholaR a Private Message Find more posts by HigH ScholaR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mainstream
lighting the way

yeah Ultimate Xmen is the shizzle

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:27 PM
Mainstream is currently offline Click here to Send Mainstream a Private Message Find more posts by Mainstream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by CorderaMitchell
I like the ultimates...

Fair point Ultimates and some Maxx titles are good, not groundbreaking but very solid smile

Last edited by Sir Whirlysplat on Aug 4th, 2005 at 03:31 PM

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:28 PM
Solidus Snake
The General

DC should rework their characters with a new millenium feel too

or is taht what all stars is about

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:29 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Problem is Marvel had the customers they stuck that way and didnt check if the customers would always like their characters that way......

Peoples preferences changed, Marvel nearly lost all but were saved by many movies and the Ultimate titles.

After saying this I fear that DC may suffer the same fate soon..........................they need to keep an eye on their customers or someday, like Marvel already knows, they might lose em.

But it is these guys who probably saved Marvel...........

Attachment: ultimate_xmen_50.jpg
This has been downloaded 232 time(s).

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:43 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

and will kep on saving them.

\/
/\ fo LIFE

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:49 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by willRules
Problem is Marvel had the customers they stuck that way and didnt check if the customers would always like their characters that way......

Peoples preferences changed, Marvel nearly lost all but were saved by many movies and the Ultimate titles.

After saying this I fear that DC may suffer the same fate soon..........................they need to keep an eye on their customers or someday, like Marvel already knows, they might lose em.

But it is these guys who probably saved Marvel...........

DC has diversity, it has your kids titles, it has Wildstorm and it has Vertigo.

It also does a lot of mini's and it has Batman and Superman

Marvel still doesn't really have this yet.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 03:56 PM
Lord S
King

One word: Onslaught.

Yeah, pissing away 30+ years of continuity to make the X-Men look good was a real turnoff for a lot of fans. Sad thing was Onslaught was actually a cool villain...I hope they bring him back...and use him a bit wiser next time.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 04:09 PM
Lord S is currently offline Click here to Send Lord S a Private Message Find more posts by Lord S Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

it didnt revolve about the X

im tellin you it's that stupid richards kid!!!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 04:11 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

it wasn't the xmen that saved marvel. it was a number of things: internal reorganization of their 'system of doing things', it was an end to failed acquisitions, it was a better licensing and marketing strategy and above all, it was the movies, starting with blade which granted the company enough cash to 'rise from the dead'. why did they have problems? they likely got complacent and cocky, thinking they could never lose touch with the public. an endless string of vary-covered #1's that no one was buying, silly spinoffs, and poor stories also all contributed to their fall. i also believe that continually increasing prices lost them a lot of people - me for one. they simply priced me out of collecting. how can young kids be expected to pay $4 for a comic book? not to mention all the x-overs that meant that if you wanted the WHOLE story you needed to buy 20 different issues - the main ones likely on better stock and costing $7!! tpb's and graphic novels and specialty issues could all run upwards of $30 or more. then you have the need for immediate gratification so many kids have nowadays. as a teacher, i know how hard it is to kid young kids interested in reading. they don't want to have to wait a month to follow a story - IF they can be made interested in reading at ALL.

all of these things hurt marvel. toys, movies, videogames are great ways to intro characters to marvel. funny to think - many of todays kids will know hulk from movies and games and will have never seen a hulk comic!! things really have changed since i (and whirly - good decision to change the name back btw! smile) were whippersnappers . . .

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 04:19 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote