KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Favorite Member of the Wu-Tang Clan?

Who’s your favorite member of the Wu-Tang Clan?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
RZA 4 23.53%
GZA/Genius 5 29.41%
Raekwon 0 0%
Ol' Dirty Bastard (RIP) 1 5.88%
Method Man 2 11.76%
Inspectah Deck 0 0%
Masta Killa 0 0%
Ghostface Killah 4 23.53%
U-God 0 0%
None 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Favorite Member of the Wu-Tang Clan?
Started by: Morgoths_Wrath

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

The best Duo to me was (early) Mobb Deep

And followed by Mobb Deep, even though the weren't a duo, anytime Raekwon and Ghostface collaboed, it was ill.

They were the duo of Wu Tang

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 05:34 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Wu is my favorite but there's always competition. But IMO none of the artists mentioned in this thread.

NWA were influential.. but to me they were just ok as far as music goes. If I'm gonna listen to west coast shit I'd rather listen to 90's G-Funk than NWA's imitation of new york rap. Not that I don't like NWA at all..

Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy are other candidates for best rap group ever..The only area in which they fall short is their rhymes.

If we're counting rap duos then Outkast would be one of the best rap groups ever in my opinion.. it seems like they evolve from album to album more than any other rap group.

NWA and Wu-Tang were the only groups that change the face of hip hop drastically. Both groups spawned some of the illest MC's each coming out with their own albums, which were all ill. From MC Ren's "Shock of the Hour" album to Method Man's "Tical" album. Overall, i have never seen any other rap group have a bigger impact on the game more than NWA or Wu Tang with the way they held it down. Lyrics, format, beats, messages, influence, styles, no one in rap made it happen more than those 2 groups as units.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 05:44 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

best duo in my opinion is Pete Rock & CL Smooth (eventhough Pete never was on the mic).

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 05:45 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
NWA and Wu-Tang were the only groups that change the face of hip hop drastically. Both groups spawned some of the illest MC's each coming out with their own albums, which were all ill. From MC Ren's "Shock of the Hour" album to Method Man's "Tical" album. Overall, i have never seen any other rap group have a bigger impact on the game more than NWA or Wu Tang with the way they held it down. Lyrics, format, beats, messages, influence, styles, no one in rap made it happen more than those 2 groups as units.
The weren't the only groups to change the face of hip hop drastically.. they were arguably the biggest but not the only ones.

Like I said when it comes to influence NWA are definitely up there.. I don't think their music is as good as Wu Tang's though. I really like Dr. Dre's solo stuff and Ice Cubes solo stuff but not on the same level as say Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Ironman.. and I like Straight Outta Compton but nowhere even near as much as 36 Chambers or even Wu Tang Forever. Influence wise they're arguably neck and neck, but as far as overall greatness goes they don't compare in my eyes.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 06:03 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Best duo? Has to be Smif N' Wessun for me. Cannibal Ox I see more of a trio, cos El-P makes up about 50% of their appeal.

Also I think Wu are more influential than NWA. I see the release of 36 Chambers as pretty much the cut-off point where all albums that come after can no longer be called ''old-school'', because they pretty much revolutionized the whole genre. Also, they've had way more influence on the indie and underground scene than NWA. Read just about any artist's bio nowadays, and they'll name either Ghost, RZA, Meth, or the whole Clan as a major influence. The mark of Wu-Tang is just everywhere you look in hip-hop, they've permeated the culture to a far greater extent than NWA.

Wu aren't the best group in terms of talent, but the sheer amount of high quality stuff they've put out over the years is unbelievable. Like somebody said earlier in the thread, no one has the discography to compete with Wu. In fact I'd say only group more consistent than them were Organized Konfusion, and they only dropped three.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 08:53 AM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Deathblow
Cannibal Ox I see more of a trio, cos El-P makes up about 50% of their appeal.
Agree. Same thing goes for Tribe Called Quest.

Edit: Actually, IMO, as far as The Cold Vein goes.. production > rapping. Not that Vast Aire or Vordul suck.. but they aren't the best either. I think El-p is easily one of the best producers ever based on that album.

Last edited by Afro Cheese on Mar 7th, 2006 at 04:51 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 04:46 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

De La Soul can be mentioned in the same breath as Wu. They have the albums, the good lyrics, and the influence.

Surprised the Beastie Boys haven't been mentioned. They have been in the rap game for more than 20 years and through most of those, they've put out quality albums.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Mar 7th, 2006 at 09:38 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 09:33 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Forgot Public Enemy

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 10:25 PM
k00L kiD is currently offline Click here to Send k00L kiD a Private Message Find more posts by k00L kiD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
De La Soul can be mentioned in the same breath as Wu. They have the albums, the good lyrics, and the influence.

That's very true, De La slipped my mind for once. I wouldn't say they have had as much lasting influence as Wu, but they are certainly as consistent, more so infact. Like OK, they have never made a bad album, and Pos can easily compete with any of the Wu members at their best lyrically, even GZA.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 11:14 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Agree. Same thing goes for Tribe Called Quest.

Edit: Actually, IMO, as far as The Cold Vein goes.. production > rapping. Not that Vast Aire or Vordul suck.. but they aren't the best either. I think El-p is easily one of the best producers ever based on that album.

For the most part, I agree with you. On Pigeon though, Vast's performance equals the effect of the production, and it's an awesome beat. Vast had the potential to be one of the best, but he has dropped some horrible shit since TCV.

El's up there with RZA, Premo, Havoc, Prince Paul, Madvillian and Stoupe The "why oh why must he insist on working with Vinnie f*cking Paz" Enemy of Mankind, no doubt. TOJ blows my mind, incredible song.

Last edited by Deathblow on Mar 7th, 2006 at 11:29 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 11:26 PM
D-Double
.. and some junk

Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Well? Who is your favorite member of the Wu-Tang Clan, based on solo works or otherwise...and why?

RZA is probably my favorite. He's a mastermind, for real. All his beats are crazy. Then...

2. ODB
3. GZA

Oh Sweat!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 11:32 PM
D-Double is currently offline Click here to Send D-Double a Private Message Find more posts by D-Double Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
koolruningz
2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

1. GZA
2. Ghostface
3. Deck

ODB gets major charisma points even though his lyrics dont blow me away.
When talking of hip hop groups i'd put The Roots in there to. smokin'

eek! Whats up D-Double? Aint seen you around for ages.

"The Capitol of this rugged slang is WU-TANG,
Witty Unpridictable Talent And Natural Game". GZA

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 12:31 AM
koolruningz is currently offline Click here to Send koolruningz a Private Message Find more posts by koolruningz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tengu
Mr. Throwback

Originally posted by Phat J
i listened to the weathermen for like 3 weeks straight and got sick of half the people in it, they're worth checkin out for cage's verse alone though. there arent enough tracks where they all have a verse, maybe one if that on taht whole mixtape, i forget.

yak really only has one good song and copywrite sort of gets old after awhile. he has so many recycled verses and lines from 'freestyles' and other tracks hes featured on its retarded. jakki's ok, god vs satan was pretty good. nothing amazing lyrically though. vast is in the weathermen eh, dont know if you knew that. he wasnt in that conspiracy mixtape though, the only track ive heard him in with the weathermen tag was with yak ballz, thats one of my favourite vast verses.
wow man....Copywirte isnt really that consistent i'll agree with you on that, but Tame One and Camu Tao are nice though man. I wanst dissappointed by the mixtape, but i guess its just difference of opinion.

Simply Put...Ya Dig?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 12:32 AM
Tengu is currently offline Click here to Send Tengu a Private Message Find more posts by Tengu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-Double
.. and some junk

Originally posted by koolruningz

eek! Whats up D-Double? Aint seen you around for ages.

What up, Kool! big grin

... yeah, things are kinda hectic now-a-days. But, hopefully I'll be around more often.
Good to see ya still around, homeboy. wink

Oh Sweat!

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 02:21 AM
D-Double is currently offline Click here to Send D-Double a Private Message Find more posts by D-Double Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phat J

Originally posted by Mugen
wow man....Copywirte isnt really that consistent i'll agree with you on that, but Tame One and Camu Tao are nice though man. I wanst dissappointed by the mixtape, but i guess its just difference of opinion.

i might be biased because i really used to like yak balls and copywrite, thats how i found out about the weathermen. until searched out a whole bunch of their music and found out their best songs were the ones that got me into them.

camu's best verse is on vakill's album, and he justs rhymes numbers with other numbers. tame ones dope though, didnt mean to say he wasnt.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 03:06 AM
Phat J is currently offline Click here to Send Phat J a Private Message Find more posts by Phat J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
koolruningz
2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

Originally posted by D-Double
What up, Kool! big grin

... yeah, things are kinda hectic now-a-days. But, hopefully I'll be around more often.
Good to see ya still around, homeboy. wink

Look forward to talking hip hop with you soon then bro. Awesome sig btw.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 03:11 AM
koolruningz is currently offline Click here to Send koolruningz a Private Message Find more posts by koolruningz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tengu
Mr. Throwback

Originally posted by Phat J
i might be biased because i really used to like yak balls and copywrite, thats how i found out about the weathermen. until searched out a whole bunch of their music and found out their best songs were the ones that got me into them.

camu's best verse is on vakill's album, and he justs rhymes numbers with other numbers. tame ones dope though, didnt mean to say he wasnt.
Yeah, When Rappers Attack is sick, i haven't heard a whole lot by Camu Tao but what i've heard of him is nice. I got into the weathermen through Cage.

Simply Put...Ya Dig?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 03:38 AM
Tengu is currently offline Click here to Send Tengu a Private Message Find more posts by Tengu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tengu
Mr. Throwback

Originally posted by koolruningz
Look forward to talking hip hop with you soon then bro. Awesome sig btw.
Damn koolz where you been man? in case you haven noticed its me Tengu , but really though, whats really good son?
passes spliff, Tengu: Hit that dun!!

Simply Put...Ya Dig?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 03:42 AM
koolruningz
2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

Damn koolz where you been man? in case you haven noticed its me Tengu , but really though, whats really good son?
passes spliff, Tengu: Hit that dun!!

big grin I've been around man, the hip hop thread has been pretty slow for a few weeks but i've been around (NBA thread mostly).

smokin' Thats some gooood shit bro, thanks! messed

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 04:28 AM
Deathblow
-

Yeah, When Rappers Attack is sick, i haven't heard a whole lot by Camu Tao but what i've heard of him is nice. I got into the weathermen through Cage.

You should check out the S.A. Smash (Camu & Metro) album Smashy Trashy. It's dumb, fun party hip-hop, Weathermen style.

Camu is a nice producer, and he's a pretty underrated MC. His flow is totally unique, and his verse on Forbidden Scriptures is crazy intense. Completely outshines Breeze Evahflowin and Jakki.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 01:30 PM