KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy
Started by: calvs

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3287): « First ... « 2459 2460 [2461] 2462 2463 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

How is Kylo any less trained than the others? Like at all?
How is Kylo any less whiny prepubescent Skywalker angst than the last two we've seen?
How is Kylo's personal mission not to be as Vader-esque as possible?

It was worth your time to deny, so it should definitely be worth your time to explain your reasoning. And not just, "Kylo's not "comfortably a Sith Lord."

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:07 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

We don't know when Kylo betrayed the Jedi Order. According to Pablo, that scene with the KoR is not them attacking the Jedi Temple. So who knows how much Jedi training Kylo truly has. Heck, Luke may have been deliberately training Kylo slowly because of his inner darkness. And it's similar with Snoke, who knows how much he has trained Kylo.

What we do know is that Kylo is poorly trained, based on interviews and what we see in the film.

Last edited by ares834 on Apr 10th, 2016 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:16 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
How is Kylo any less trained than the others? Like at all?
How is Kylo any less whiny prepubescent Skywalker angst than the last two we've seen?
How is Kylo's personal mission not to be as Vader-esque as possible?

It was worth your time to deny, so it should definitely be worth your time to explain your reasoning. And not just, "Kylo's not "comfortably a Sith Lord."
Ugh, how about instead you explain to me how Kylo is as well trained as Dooku, Vader or Maul first since you made the claim.

Then explain where Dooku, Vader or Maul have demonstrated "whiny prepubescent Skywalker angst" (FYI, Anakin =/= Vader)

Then conclude your enlightening response with reasoning for why "shit that happened in your life" and a shared pursuit of power makes you remotely identical in actual character (hint: it doesn't).

And then, really, as an addendum, explain to me why Kylo is lame when he's apparently just like Vader, Dooku and Maul, those super cool villains!

Last edited by Beniboybling on Apr 10th, 2016 at 07:22 PM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:18 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

quote:
We don't know when Kylo betrayed the Jedi Order. According to Pablo, that scene with the KoR is not them attack the Jedi Temple. So who knows how much Jedi training Kylo truly has. Heck, Luke may have been deliberately training Kylo slowly because of his inner darkness. And it's similar with Snoke, who knows how much he has trained Kylo.

I assume well enough since Kylo's betrayal of the Jedi is also recent, and Kylo's in his 30s, give or take, at the moment.
quote:

What we do know is that Kylo is poorly trained, based on interviews and what we see in the film.

What we know is that his training is "incomplete," as far as I've seen. He's also said to have saber skills that apparently are responsible for stopping the Jedi from reforming, so I doubt he's that poorly trained.
quote:
Ugh, how about instead you explain to me how Kylo is as well trained as Dooku, Vader or Maul first since you made the claim.

Above.
quote:
Then explain where Dooku, Vader or Maul have demonstrated “whiny prepubescent Skywalker angst” (FYI, Anakin =/= Vader)

I didn't mean that Dooku, Vader, and Maul are all whiney. Kylo, however, from the snippets we've seen of him, is your run of the mill, "I need power, so I'm going to get power, snark, snark." that we've seen time and time again in Star Wars. With the added benefit of crying occasionally in typical angsty Skywalker fashion. And I'm pretty sure Vader is Anakin. The semantics game is dumb.
quote:
Then conclude your enlightening response with reasoning for why “shit that happened in your life” and a shared pursuit of power makes you remotely identical in actual character.

You serious? You act like an old man following around a prodigal young boy who kills off an order, but still has doubt about his family, and is always in eternal anguish is like the most common backstory ever. It's not. Kylo was obviously meant to be Vaderesque.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:26 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Edit's not working, but finally, Kylo's lame because he falls flat in all accounts. Not that I ever thought Maul or Dooku were the most amazing and cool villains ever.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:27 PM
ares834

I assume well enough since Kylo's betrayal of the Jedi is also recent, and Kylo's in his 30s, give or take, at the moment.

And where does the notion that it's recent come from?

What we know is that his training is "incomplete," as far as I've seen. He's also said to have saber skills that apparently are responsible for stopping the Jedi from reforming, so I doubt he's that poorly trained.

Considering he can't even create a proper lightsaber, I'd disagree. What he lacks in training he makes up for in raw power.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:30 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Originally posted by ares834
Considering he can't even create a proper lightsaber, I'd disagree. What he lacks in training he makes up for in raw power.
thumb up

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:33 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by ares834
And where does the notion that it's recent come from?

From the fact that it's a lot more recent than Rey being dropped on Jakuu. Some interview somewhere. Kylo was around 15 then. His betrayal has to be somewhere into his mid-late 20s.
quote:

Where was it said he can't build a proper lightsaber? The crystal is broken in it, is about as much as I've see. Building a lightsaber is something younglings can do. It's something Luke did with about a year under his belt with actual training. I doubt Kylo can't.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 07:52 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Above.
How does being trained "well enough" (an assumption in itself) by a fledging Jedi Order, being better than as you would likely put it a bunch of featless mooks and... well that's it, make his training on level with Maul, Dooku or Vader's?

And this time actually think, hard, about the level of training those three have received, from whom, and in what contexts, because I can't be assed to spell it out.
quote:
I didn't mean that Dooku, Vader, and Maul are all whiney. Kylo, however, from the snippets we've seen of him, is your run of the mill, "I need power, so I'm going to get power, snark, snark." that we've seen time and time again in Star Wars.
Yeah, that's called the dark side. erm
quote:
With the added benefit of crying occasionally in typical angsty Skywalker fashion. And I'm pretty sure Vader is Anakin. The semantics game is dumb.
No, Vader and Anakin are, yes, technically the same person, but they are too very different characters and personas, as it made explicit in the movies. thumb up

And the only one playing the semantics game here is you my friend, seeing as we are discussing the portrayal of Star Wars villains on screen.
quote:
You serious? You act like an old man following around a prodigal young boy who kills off an order, but still has doubt about his family, and is always in eternal anguish is like the most common backstory ever. It's not. Kylo was obviously meant to be Vaderesque.
The only "traits" Vader and Kylo share (though originally you had Dooku and Maul on that list as well, nice goalpost change there) is that they are conflicted villains, which yes is quite common indeed.

On the other hand Kylo is quite different from Vader in the respect, as you pointed out, he is remains the angsty emotional teen. Vader is frankly stoic in comparison.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 08:45 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Beniboybling
How does being trained "well enough" (an assumption in itself) by a fledging Jedi Order, being better than as you would likely put it a bunch of featless mooks and... well that's it, make his training on level with Maul, Dooku or Vader's?

Luke's pretty up there as far as teacher's go. He is supposed to be "the greatest warrior in the galaxy," after all.
quote:

And this time actually think, hard, about the level of training those three have received, from whom, and in what contexts, because I can't be assed to spell it out.

Again, Luke's pretty up there. Trained by Yoda himself. Luke is the one training Ben for the vast majority of his life. While in Legends this would be less impressive, at first, I've seen nothing to indicate this in Canon.
quote:
Yeah, that's called the dark side. ermNo, Vader and Anakin are, yes, technically the same person, but they are too very different characters and personas, as it made explicit in the movies. thumb up

Please. Vader still has the same faults as Anakin, including overwhelming arrogance, it's why he does things like fight Karbin in sabers instead of crumpling him into a ball.
quote:

And the only one playing the semantics game here is you my friend, seeing as we are discussing the portrayal of Star Wars villains on screen.The only "traits" Vader and Kylo share (though originally you had Dooku and Maul on that list as well, nice goalpost change there) is that they are conflicted villains, which yes is quite common indeed.

No, like I said, that was weak wording on my part. I see pretty much every Star Wars villain as the same handwringing overly ambitious idiot, and I'm wondering how exactly you think Kylo is any different from what you've seen of him.
quote:

On the other hand Kylo is quite different from Vader in the respect, as you pointed out, he is remains the angsty emotional teen. Vader is frankly stoic in comparison.

Vader's a crab; you know this. Kylo became angsty when he took off the mask. Kind of why masks are used in storytelling. To hide the person underneath and all.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 09:03 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

BTW, where is that piece of subhuman garbage, Lord Lucien?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 10:41 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote:
I just feel like mentioning now how much I dislike this "Just as planned!" trope where it turns out that every setback, defeat, and moment of apparent weakness a villain suffered was actually part of their plan. It just makes it so obvious that the villain owes their success not to actually being good at what they do but to the fact the writer is on their side (until the final battle).

I'm choosing to imagine that the Palpatine Revenant is going Baghdad Bob on his minions here.

"Yes, yes, my sitting on my hands while my Empire burns around me may look like I screwed up, got myself killed, got bitten in the neck by my own paranoia, and am now unable to do anything about having lost control over 99% of my assets and reduced to huddling in my last stronghold and hoping my enemies weaken each other enough that I may yet destroy them with the last remnant of my strength, but I am in fact engaging in a creative exercise in Sith Social Darwinist philosophy!"

"Very devious, Your Majesty. Was the getting yourself blown up along with your right hand man and your superweapon and having your Empire fall apart part of your plan too?"

"Uh, I'll get back to you on that."

@gid

also: matlab is way more difficult when ur body/s core temp has risen to 102

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Endor was def not planned.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 11:15 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I see why you find him so relatable.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 11:45 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Roasted.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 11:46 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

^ both of them were shot in the back by Han

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 11:48 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

damn. This is a clinic.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 11:49 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

At least Sidious wanted to be.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 11:51 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Originally posted by The Ellimist
I see why you find him so relatable.

Holy shit laughing out loud

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 11th, 2016 12:36 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by The Ellimist
BTW, where is that piece of subhuman garbage, Lord Lucien?
Oh... around...

Old Post Apr 11th, 2016 12:58 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote