KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » 3 main characters are starting to live their childhood dreams?

3 main characters are starting to live their childhood dreams?
Started by: LovelyOne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LovelyOne

Question 3 main characters are starting to live their childhood dreams?

I just picked up on something. In movie 2. It seems like each of the 3 main characters are asking themselves

"Am I REALLY satisfied with the way I live my life?"

They all seem to have been living a bit of a LIE before this movie. their repressed childhood dreams are beginning to surface again.

Elizabeth is showing signs that she doesn't want to be married to Will, she doesn't want to be honorable an lady like..and she is falling for Jack

Will is showing signs that he is becoming more interested in his father instead of Liz..

Jack is beginning to have feelings for people (mainly Liz) instead of his material possessions which he once held so dear.

All of this is very interesting because Elizabeth's childhood dream before she even met Will was to meet a pirate..she was fascinated with them...its what she WANTED most. Will intervening actually repressed that childhood dream of hers. He isn't enough to fill her emptiness inside...but JACK can

With Will his childhood dream before he even met Liz was to find his lost father..he wanted a father figure. Liz intervening stopped him being able to find it..the relationship with her doesn't REALLY give him what he craved since childhood. I don't think she is enough to fill that emptiness inside..but his FATHER can.

Now it comes to Jack. So far we haven't REALLY found out what Jack's been craving since childhood. We are however given hints in movie 2 (backed up by movie 1) as to what it is. I personally think movie 2 shows us that he wants a person to be close to him..instead of a material possession..In my opinion he wants to be able to put his love and faith into something that can actually love HIM BACK for once..he thinks these inanimate objects make him permanently happy when they CLEARLY cant...and you can tell that HE is beginning to to see this in movie 2..he lets them GO..

We don't know anything about his Mother...His father doesn't seem to have been there for him throughout his life..who ever he has been close to they often betray him...so that explains why he clings onto things like a Jar of dirt because he feels cant trust people to feel safe. It also explains why he puts up this fortress of an image in movie 1 he seems desperate to pretend to people that he is perfectly fine they way he is..when he STILL has that emptiness inside..material objects cant fill it. Him getting the pearl and his captain status back at the end of movie one never REALLY satisfied him hence the fact he's not actually satisfied movie 2 once he has everything he thought he wanted (compass) Those objects cant fill that emptiness inside but..but LIZ can.

you could see it...Jack was beginning to care for her and her feelings..she was making him feel HAPPY..he was a bit of a bumbling and scared mess before he met up with her in Tortuga..as soon as she she steps back into his life..he has reason to smile. every close moment he spent with her..he was either smiling, flirting..or laughing with her..he rarely if not at all smiles with such meaning during all the other Liz-less moments of the movie..

Keith Richards was supposed to actually be in movie 2 but cancelled..I think we were actually meant to realise in this movie through him that Jack has never had the love he REALLY craves...instead we have to settle for subtle...and NOT so subtle hints in movie 2 that having somone close to him is what Jack has probably always wanted since he was a kid..It will probably be confirmed in movie 3 with Jack's dad now...

So In my opinion movie 2 was all about each character questioning their lives and if they are happy with the way it is..They all actually get the chance to live out their childhood dreams in movie 2.

This movie ALSO showed us that the characters have a bit of a FEAR and denial when they are confronted with this question and new life. We leave them at the point where they are all thinking "is this new life WORTH it?"..after all its only movie 2..we still have the entire of movie 3 for each of them to realize where their heart TRULY lies...

Last edited by LovelyOne on Aug 15th, 2006 at 03:57 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 03:46 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
diddly
DIVING

Gosh you guys put ALOT of thought into these things!

Jonas Brothers.....need I say more?? big grin

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 04:47 PM
diddly is currently offline Click here to Send diddly a Private Message Find more posts by diddly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

I'm a film studies student..its my hobby laughing out loud I also have a day off work and I'm feeling ill...so I've been sitting at the comp all day with WAY to much to think about laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 04:49 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
diddly
DIVING

That explains it!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 04:50 PM
diddly is currently offline Click here to Send diddly a Private Message Find more posts by diddly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
diddly
DIVING

I do have afew questions(I think),.. Will, is showing interest in his father only because he hasn't seen him since he was only a child.So, of coarse he'll be interested! Not to mention he is green with sea life on him,.. Sorta like a kid with a new toy,...
Liz,.. She still has feelings for will, but her feelings for Jack are not as strong . I think they (disney) WANT us to think that she is in love with Jack,.. but really it was all a set up!

Anyways thats my opinion

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 04:57 PM
LovelyOne

He set off from England in pursuit of his father he longed to find him..instead he bumps into Liz..and the quest is halted. he later learns that his dad is still alive somewhere but Liz stops him thinking about it...for now..

Her feelings for Jack are clearly much stronger..heck so much so that she felt she had to remove the temptation by chaining it up at the end..the chemistry between the two is sizzling..she has always wanted a pirate..its her obsession Keira herself said that hear character prefers pirates..but she can't have that because Will intervened.

now both characters have been separated and they are starting to live their repressed dreams..and they are actually realising what is most important to them...which may not be one another...

Last edited by LovelyOne on Aug 15th, 2006 at 05:06 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:01 PM
diddly
DIVING

Well, I can't comment, because I don't remember what happed in the begining of the 2nd!! lol

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:04 PM
LovelyOne

Their wedding was halted and Will left Liz in a cell and didn't even kiss her goodbye for some odd reason...he gets thrown into Davy's crew and bumps into his dad and his childhood quest to save him starts up again..meanwhile Liz bumps into Jack and she starts to live out her childhood fantasy of being a pirate..and being WITH a pirate..

At the beginning of movie 2 Jack has everything he thought he wanted in movie 1..yet is clearly still not satisfied..his comapss is "not working for him"..when it was actually pointing at Liz.

Last edited by LovelyOne on Aug 15th, 2006 at 05:10 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:08 PM
CaptinJackLover

^^ does anyone have any idea why he didnt kiss her? i thought that was stupid!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:10 PM
CaptinJackLover is currently offline Click here to Send CaptinJackLover a Private Message Find more posts by CaptinJackLover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

Because obviously the characters priorities are switching around..Will and Liz being with each other..I honestly don't actually think that its real..its just the thing that is stopping them both from living out their childhood dreams..It's stopping them from having what they both really want in life..the relationship with Will is stopping liz from being able to be a pirate and Liz is stopping Will from finding and concentrating on his dad...when he finds his dad we can see that he has little to no time for Elizabeth..

Last edited by LovelyOne on Aug 15th, 2006 at 05:15 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:12 PM
diddly
DIVING

No he couldn't kiss her because the bars of the cell were to close toghether!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:15 PM
LovelyOne

he could have kissed her lmao! excuses...or he could have busted her out of there like he did with Jack..obviously she wasn't important enough to him let free...it just shows you that with Will...her life resembles restrictions..she cant be free when with him..married life is a no no for her

..she resembles a beautiful bird the swan( surname/beautiful dress)..who is meant to be free..but is stuck in a cage..Married life will mean this for her later on..
Will = restriction
Jack = freedom

Last edited by LovelyOne on Aug 15th, 2006 at 05:22 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:19 PM
diddly
DIVING

They probably got new cell doors,.. since the other ones were to easy to get out of??

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:22 PM
LovelyOne

they looked pretty much the same to me..Will was more concerned with honor in this movie over being bad..where as Liz was more concerned with being bad compared to honorable..so Will wont bust that door open for her...he'll do what dear old beckett asks of him..who by the way is a baddie

With his character you can always see that he has trouble when it comes to saving her...It seems as if it was just easier for him to leave her there instead of doing anything too bold for her..

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:24 PM
CaptinJackLover

LOL! but the bars we easy to get through still. they could both fit their heads through it!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:25 PM
CaptinJackLover is currently offline Click here to Send CaptinJackLover a Private Message Find more posts by CaptinJackLover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
diddly
DIVING

HE still loves her deep down though!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:25 PM
CaptinJackLover

yes but SHE loves JACK deep down

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:28 PM
LovelyOne

quote: (post)
Originally posted by diddly-dum
HE still loves her deep down though!

Yes but my point is that he loves her..but she has taken a backseat in his life in movie 2 His father will mean more to him in the long run I think..

and she loves william..but she is now IN LOVE with Jack sparrow..

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:32 PM
CaptinJackLover

^^ YUP! LOVELYONE IS RIGHT!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:33 PM
diddly
DIVING

Like I said MANY times before, I'm young so Romance isn't the best subject for me.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 05:37 PM