KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Famous Buddhists

Famous Buddhists
Started by: Wonderer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
But at the same time, some Christians reject the existance of Hell.

Jews for Jesus?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Aug 30th, 2007 04:23 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Devil King
Jews for Jesus?

Not even. Some straight up Christians, such as some Jehovah's witnesses and even Evangelicals, reject the idea of Hell.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2007 06:24 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Alliance
I see your point, but people don't convert to these specific cults of Christianity to remain faithless. their faith may be shallow, but they remain religious.

How is a fair-weather Christian different than a fair-weather Buddhist:

Budddhism is the only religion that I'm aware of where people can "convert" and remain areligious.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2007 06:29 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Adam_PoE

Because I happen to be Buddhist laughing

Old Post Aug 30th, 2007 06:31 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

You don't have to become a monk to be Buddhist, and being a monk is not the fulfillment of Buddhism.

I never said any of those things. TRY AGAIN!

Buddhism is meant to integrate to anyone's lifestyle, can be applied so.

No, thats your perversion.

We had a similiar argument about Islam. You claimed that one can be Muslim without practicing everything the Quran teaches. Yet, Islam is about submission. Islam does not allow for one to question or challenge the Quran in any way, shape, or form.

You fail to see the difference between ritual and faith.

Read the Above. There is something you are NOT understanding.

Just why you wont stop bleeting your failed policies.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop making this a personal issue. If you are going to ask me something, ask me something intelligent, and have some kind of support for your claims.

All of your claims are empty.

Wrong. You can't answer my questions.

You're the only one who's EVER made this personal and crying about it all over KMC.

He seems unaware of the different sects/forms of Buddhism. There are Nicheren and Theravata for example.

Wrong again. There is Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. Nicheren is a subsect of Mahayana.

Also, each introduce new teachings. For example, Shakymunison was not made aware of the Five Aggregates in his studies, but at the same time, I wasn't aware of the Concept of the Ten Worlds until he brought it to my attention.

Some forms of Buddhism teach that Life is naturally suffering, because that is the nature of the world, while other forms of Buddhism teach that Life is Suffering because we have made it that way and allow it to persist.

Alliance, claiming that becoming a Monk is the endgoal of Buddhism, shows how much he doesn't know.

You're perhaps the biggest bullshitter on these forums. Never said anything remotely like that. You're the king of strawmen.

I don't understand the question.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Aug 30th, 2007 07:03 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not even. Some straight up Christians, such as some Jehovah's witnesses and even Evangelicals, reject the idea of Hell.

I really do understand. But is there any reason NOT to bring up Jews for Jesus, at every given opprotunity?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Aug 30th, 2007 07:11 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Devil King
I really do understand. But is there any reason NOT to bring up Jews for Jesus, at every given opprotunity?

laughing I guess not hahhaaa

Old Post Aug 30th, 2007 07:12 PM
Adam_PoE

How is one who holds Christian beliefs but does not practice them any different than one who holds Buddhist principles but does not practice them?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 01:01 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well that's because they believe in annihilation.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 01:38 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

How is one who holds Christian beliefs but does not practice them any different than one who holds Buddhist principles but does not practice them?

I don't think Christianity demands such the same type of practice as Buddhism does.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 02:25 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

I don't think Christianity demands such the same type of practice as Buddhism does.

Christianity demands more stringent practice; a Buddhist who does not faithfully practice the principles of Buddhism is simply a bad Buddhist, whereas a Christian who does not faithfully practice the principles of Christianity is not a true Christian.

See Who Is a Christian?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 02:52 AM
LatinoStallion
Perfection

It depends what sect of Christianity you belong to.

Evangelicals focus on Repentance. They beleive that once they repent, they are cleaned of all "original sin", and to push it even further, beleive that thier thoughts and actions are inspired by the Holy Spirit, since they invited God into thier life through repentance.

Catholics, in general, do not focus so much on repentence, since they beleive that Baptism has already cleansed them. They tend to focus more on actions, then on the idea that they are already saved. Yet, many are still motivated by the Fear of Hell.

I am not to sure about Mormons and Jehovahs witnesses, so I won't comment on them.

Buddhism requires a strong self-discipline. Every Buddhist is taught about the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold path. Practice and Discipline is definately an aspect of all variations of Buddhism.

However, unlike Christianity, you don't "become a better person" over night just by converting. Buddhism takes practice and dedication, consistancy. You have to remind yourself of what you are practicing through various practices and meditation.

Some Buddhists practice Nam Myo Renge Kyo, others don't. Some Buddhists beleive in No-Self, while others do beleive in a spiritual identity. Some Buddhists beleive in God, others don't. And for our earlier example, some Buddhists become monks, other's don't.

There are variations, but none must deviate from the center core of Buddhism: Respect and Compassion for All Living Things. As well as the goal of Buddhism: The Cessation of Suffering.

You cannot truly call yourself a Buddhist if you do not hold respect and compassion for all living things. You also have to understand that the cause of all suffering is Attachment/Desire.

Whether you choose to adhere to attachments and embrace desire is your choice, as long as you understand that these can and do lead to suffering.

Many Buddhists question thier Faith, and struggle with some of the teachings. There is nothing in Buddhism that forbids that. In fact, Buddhism welcomes questioning, because that is the path to understanding.

At the same time, Buddhism can work with other Faiths as well, you can still beleive in God and be Buddhist, you can still hold other customs and be Buddhist.

What I am asking you, Alliance is what do you think qualifies one as a "real Buddhist", and who are you to make such a claim ?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 02:11 PM
Quiero Mota

Saudi Arabia?

And Pakistan, and Yemen, and Iran, and Mali.....

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 06:36 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

I never said any of those things. TRY AGAIN!

No, thats your perversion.

You fail to see the difference between ritual and faith.

Just why you wont stop bleeting your failed policies.

Wrong. You can't answer my questions.

You're the only one who's EVER made this personal and crying about it all over KMC.

Wrong again. There is Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. Nicheren is a subsect of Mahayana.

You're perhaps the biggest bullshitter on these forums. Never said anything remotely like that. You're the king of strawmen.

Some Muslims drink, some Hindus eat meat, some Jews eat shrimp, big deal.

My point: Just because some one doesn't follow every little insignificant rule, doesn't mean they're not a member of any given religion.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 06:42 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Some Muslims drink, some Hindus eat meat, some Jews eat shrimp, big deal.

My point: Just because some one doesn't follow every little insignificant rule, doesn't mean they're not a member of any given religion.

Okay, someone gets my point thumb up

I even recall you, yourself, correcting me on the fact that Muslims don't have to follow the violence in the Quran to be "real" Muslims, a fact that now sinks in with me.

Alliance is making this more of a personal attack than an objective argument, and I hope one day he sees how much time he is wasting with that. I hope he finds something better to do.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 07:12 PM
Bogdantuf
Restricted

Account Restricted

Where is Administration killermovies.com ??

Where is admin?
It is important.
Regards.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2022 01:46 AM
Bogdantuf is currently offline Click here to Send Bogdantuf a Private Message Find more posts by Bogdantuf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Christianity demands more stringent practice; a Buddhist who does not faithfully practice the principles of Buddhism is simply a bad Buddhist, whereas a Christian who does not faithfully practice the principles of Christianity is not a true Christian.

See Who Is a Christian?

I think that depends which Buddhists (and indeed which Christians) you are talking to.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2022 05:12 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote