KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top 5 favorite bands...

Top 5 favorite bands...
Started by: mdp990

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deathblow
I feel the need to post my all time 5 in order to prevent a younger, trendier version of me rising up and usurping my position as moderator. All hail elitism.

Opeth
Tool
Massive Attack
Smashing Pumpkins
Deftones/Alice In Chains/NIN/Pixies

Can't decide between those for fifth place.

Chicken, can't take the heat?

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 01:18 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
My top 5 (+1) in the order of most bestest:

1. Audioslave
2. Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. Weezer
4. Radiohead
5. Sublime

(6. Bedouin Soundclash)

As for the arch-critic, Mr. Von Doom; where be his list? Or is it deemed superfluous as AC has already posted his list.

Oh!

Decent. Ridiculous order, though.

I feel no need to musically associate with the peasantry. My list is infallible.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 01:41 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Balls to your face.

I could imagine what your list would be like:

Tool
Delverium Decodia (Something like that, anyway...)
Mr. Bungle
Radiohead
Boyzone

You're so predictable.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:13 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Chicken, can't take the heat?

My skin is eggshell thin.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:37 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Balls to your face.

Tool
Mr. Bungle
Radiohead
Boyzone

You're so predictable.

Delusium Cordelia is an Album. Not a band. then again his list is infallible. So maybe it is a band.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:15 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighthammer
Colonial Marine

VVD, how can you say I have almost no musical radar. The Business may not be big here in the states but they are huge in the UK and plus unlike most bands, they give a crap about what they are singing out, and don't just write lyrics because they sound good, they have meaning to the band. The Dropkick Murphys are the same way with their songs, and though they do have some interesting choices in intruments(bagpipes,accordions, mandolins, tin whistle, banjo, etc)along withe normal instruments in a punk band, it only adds to their uniquness as well as an unexpected great sound. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Go to a Dropkick Murphys concert, and then you'll see what I mean.
Sum 41 I admit I was half alseep when I put them down, so for them, bash away. However I do have a question. In their song Fat Lip, though the lyrics online say doctor said my mom should have had an abortion, I am convinced they say dentist instead of doctor. Is that right?
By Drowning Pool, I meant the old lineup when they sang Bodies(before all of the lead singer changes)
RBF is an acquired taste, what can I say?

From the b***s of Hancock's junior's to the shores of misery, we will curse our country's leaders cross the stars on land and sea, first to fight the distant corporate wars, spill our blood for a sheaf of green, we will do or die, we ask not why cuz we're colonial marines!

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 08:51 PM
Lighthammer is currently offline Click here to Send Lighthammer a Private Message Find more posts by Lighthammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Delusium Cordelia is an Album. Not a band. then again his list is infallible. So maybe it is a band.

Why is it an Album, and not just an album? Also, why is VVD such a dick?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 12:16 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Balls to your face.

Tool
Mr. Bungle
Radiohead
Boyzone

You're so predictable.

Three correct. Though saying that's predictable is like saying Hamlet and Ulysses being on my top 5 works of literature list is predictable.

Though technically it is. So...a point which refutes what you said.

It's a case of art imitating life. Or something similar which implies relentless sexual potency. On girls.

Originally posted by Lighthammer
VVD, how can you say I have almost no musical radar. The Business may not be big here in the states but they are huge in the UK and plus unlike most bands, they give a crap about what they are singing out, and don't just write lyrics because they sound good, they have meaning to the band. The Dropkick Murphys are the same way with their songs, and though they do have some interesting choices in intruments(bagpipes,accordions, mandolins, tin whistle, banjo, etc)along withe normal instruments in a punk band, it only adds to their uniquness as well as an unexpected great sound.

Has anyone seen The Prestige? Is it good?

And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Go to a Dropkick Murphys concert, and then you'll see what I mean.

I'd rather not: what do you mean?

Sum 41 I admit I was half alseep when I put them down, so for them, bash away.

I'm all done.

However I do have a question. In their song Fat Lip, though the lyrics online say doctor said my mom should have had an abortion, I am convinced they say dentist instead of doctor. Is that right?

Which of the various Pizza Hut crusts does anyone prefer?

RBF is an acquired taste, what can I say?

Sorry?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 12:40 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

It is an "Album" because of it's immense importance and genius. Or something like that....probably even something like what the infallible one said. Though I don't know what he is talking about girls for.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 01:53 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighthammer
Colonial Marine

VVD you just proved something. You actually have no argument as to why our choices supposedly stink in music because you have no reason. You just sit there thinking of new insults,without actually knowing what in the world your talking about, or what you are insulting. So before you bash our tastes in music, maybe actually listen to it. And have guts and say what your favorite bands are.

From the b***s of Hancock's junior's to the shores of misery, we will curse our country's leaders cross the stars on land and sea, first to fight the distant corporate wars, spill our blood for a sheaf of green, we will do or die, we ask not why cuz we're colonial marines!

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 02:02 AM
Lighthammer is currently offline Click here to Send Lighthammer a Private Message Find more posts by Lighthammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Three correct. Though saying that's predictable is like saying Hamlet and Ulysses being on my top 5 works of literature list is predictable.

Though technically it is. So...a point which refutes what you said.

I win!

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 02:03 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

VVD you just proved something. You actually have no argument as to why our choices supposedly stink in music because you have no reason.

I do. It's because your (singular) choices are shit.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 01:31 PM
Lighthammer
Colonial Marine

But you have no evidence or even give a reason as why they are supposedly shit, so you just proved my point. You just say they suck without backing it up. Repeating yourself does not count as a reason.

Last edited by Lighthammer on Nov 28th, 2006 at 07:40 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 07:35 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

But you have no evidence or even a reason as why they are supposedly shit, so you just proved my point.

Taste is subjective, so he couldn't prove yours are shit any more than you can prove his are shit.

Though you having Reel Big Fish and Sum 41 is a bit of a deal closer to anyone with a working perception radar.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 07:40 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighthammer
Colonial Marine

I understand that Ac, but he doesn't say that. All he said is their shit. He doesn't say he doesn't like that kind of music, or that he doesn't like those bands. I understand he can't prove their shit but he could at least say why he thinks they are shit. And as I said before I put Sum 41 while i was half asleep i didn't mean to put them down(Their only good song is Fat Lip).
And as for the musical radar thing as you said its taste, so differnent people have different musical tastes therefore technically everybodys musical radar works, its justs everybody's is tuned to different wavelengths.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 07:49 PM
Kid Kurdy

Only bands ? I'm much more a singer/songwriter kind of guy, but I'll give it a try.

In random order :

- The Pixies
- The Beatles
- eels
- The Doors
- Tenacious D (they are, after all, the greatest rock'n roll band of the world)

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 08:40 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I understand that Ac, but he doesn't say that. All he said is their shit. He doesn't say he doesn't like that kind of music, or that he doesn't like those bands. I understand he can't prove their shit but he could at least say why he thinks they are shit. And as I said before I put Sum 41 while i was half asleep i didn't mean to put them down(Their only good song is Fat Lip).
And as for the musical radar thing as you said its taste, so differnent people have different musical tastes therefore technically everybodys musical radar works, its justs everybody's is tuned to different wavelengths.

Why he thinks they're shit is irrelevant, you won't agree with him, so why say it?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 09:23 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

But you have no evidence or even give a reason as why they are supposedly shit, so you just proved my point. You just say they suck without backing it up. Repeating yourself does not count as a reason.

There is no evidence to actually equate those bands with excrement, is there?

Can you provide evidence of why a particular band aren't as good as another?

It's my opinion. Though some opinions are more valid than others.

Yours appears to be as invalid as Stephen Hawking (It just came to me, nothing personal. Would have been a waste not to say it though).

If I made a song right now, consisting of tapping my hands on the desk and saying la la la, no-one could actually prove that it is not a better song than Bohemian Rhapsody. That is mainly a problem with leaving the word 'better' undefined, but the fact remains, it's a virtual certainty that that's a silly conclusion.

And as I said before I put Sum 41 while i was half asleep i didn't mean to put them down(Their only good song is Fat Lip).

There's some evidence about my musical radar point, though.

Last edited by Victor Von Doom on Nov 28th, 2006 at 10:59 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 10:55 PM
Lighthammer
Colonial Marine

Being tired when I put them down doesn't mean I have a weak music radar. It just means I was too tired to realize what I was typing. Second who says your opion is more worthy than mine? And third have you even heard a Dropkick Murphys or a Bussiness song? Because yes you have the right to have the opinion to think these bands suck, but have you actually heard any of their music to base your opinon on?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 11:13 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Being tired when I put them down doesn't mean I have a weak music radar. It just means I was too tired to realize what I was typing. Second who says your opion is more worthy than mine? And third have you even heard a Dropkick Murphys or a Bussiness song? Because yes you have the right to have the opinion to think these bands suck, but have you actually heard any of their music to base your opinon on?

Yes, I have heard them. I find them to be shit.

I would say my musical opinion is more valid than yours, simply because I find the bands you have listed to be terrible. You might think the same in return. That's opinions for you.

I'd have to be more or less typing from a sleep deprivation experiment lab to even think of the name Sum 41 when typing in this thread.

By whom do you propose they should be replaced?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 11:25 PM