KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Why do people think music's subjective?

Why do people think music's subjective?
Started by: EPIIIBITES

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

What??? laughing

Oh my...I just always seperate the 2 that's all. That's what makes sense to me...that's what this thread is about. I'd do that with lots of things. Although when it comes to paintings and such, I can honestly say I don't know what's crap and whats' good...

...BUT, I'm not as ignorant and foolish as probably most of you are as to think I can safely say that this or that painting is good just because I like it, or is crap becasue I think it's crap.

Give it up dude!

Maybe some of you should accept that you might not have a clue of what good music is...that's your problem.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 4th, 2007 at 08:44 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 08:35 PM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why? Why do you seperate them? So you will look like you know what "good" music is in the eyes of the general public?

Why aren't you comfortable enough with your own taste to say: "This is what I like, this is good music."?

I know full well it makes sense to you, but you're wrong. Many times over I have proven that music taste is subjective, and the only defense you have is "Nobody can prove it, but it can be proven I think. I don't know how, though.". You're a cop out.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 08:40 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

You're truly hopeless. You haven't proven anything except...well...

That's quite an assumption you made about my taste with those albums. If you read at the bottom I said they're all great albums.

I like ALL those albums. I've owned ALL those albums. Some just happen to be closer to my heart than others...just because they're closer to my heart doesn't mean I should stand up and say...'I love this album...and I don't care whether anyone thinks it's a great album or not. I love it and it's great!!!"

You use that same "conforming to the general public" logic in a bunch of these threads. Maybe I don't blame you becasue I agree there are critics and fans alike that do that and it's really annoying. But sorry...you got the wrong guy if you're suggesting you've figured me out and that's GOTTA be what I'm doing. wt...???

Just relax dude. You don't get it. It's pointless going on. I've offered a plethora of analogies and humurous comparisons to help you understand.

I'd have to think after so much explanation that you're just in denial at this point, as most people are who don't get this line of thinking.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 4th, 2007 at 09:02 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 08:54 PM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
You're truly hopeless. You haven't proven anything except...well...

That you are wrong, indeed. That's all I need to prove. Not just me, others too.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 09:11 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Hmmm...could that say anything about how adept I am in recognizing what great music is??? Naaaa...couldn't be.

All it says is that you have the same tastes as other people. Our opinions don't impact a band's worth, like I said before. KMC is no ruling class on music, either.

Maybe some of you should accept that you might not have a clue of what good music is...that's your problem.

I've been as cordial as I can be, but your being really ****ing stubborn.

WHAT'S GOOD IS AN OPINION. Just because what YOU *think* is good doesn't fit our criteria doesn't mean our opinions are wrong. Not that anyone should have to justify themselves to you, or anyone else, still we've gone to those lengths, only to have them go in one ear and out of the other.

Just leave it alone. Have your own opinion, and keep it to yourself.

Music is subjective and objective. Tastes aren't. End of story.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Feb 4th, 2007 at 09:45 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 09:41 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

?
Originally posted by The Core
Music is subjective and objective.

So you more or less agree.
Originally posted by The Core
Tastes aren't. End of story.

Of course tastes aren't. What?
when it comes to paintings and such, I can honestly say I don't know what's crap and whats' good...

...BUT, I'm not as ignorant and foolish as probably most of you are as to think I can safely say that this or that painting is good just because I like it, or is crap becasue I think it's crap.

Dunno if you missed this part of that post you quoted. Pretty much says it all.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 11:08 PM
manorastroman

regardless, there is still "good taste" and "bad taste". otherwise everyone and their mother would be a critic.

i'm actually surprised nobody's mentioned criticism. it's a field and profession that wouldn't exist if taste and such were totally subjective.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 11:18 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly. And here's some criticism of music in response to you saying music has a "defined set of aesthetic perimeters"...

I admit I like a couple Backstreet Boys songs from the 90s...no real reason why...just do...the same reason I like blondes over brunettes. But I can also admit that these songs are utter crap...

...they lack soul, they're contrived, they're shallow, purposely marketed, overly-polished, unoriginal, unsubstantial, and I gurantee you they will not stand the test of time.

BUT...even from my 1st post I said...
what if I take a band like Stone Temple Pilots and weigh them up against Nirvana, (although I personally have my own opinion as to which one is better...and I think it's no contest) it'd be kinda hard to make a case for which one is best because I don't think either are crap.

It's amazing people aren't getting this.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 11:26 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dunno if you missed this part of that post you quoted. Pretty much says it all.

You DO know what's crap and what's good TO YOU. You can see two paintings and think one is crap and one is great. What are you talking about?

Are you referring to SKILL rather than preference? Technical musical ability rather than just liking the music? What are you on about? You must be, because you're making no sense.

You CAN say it's good if you think it is, or bad if you think it is, because nobody is assuming that you are applying that to them. It's about what YOU think. There is no set quality parameter.

Originally posted by manorastroman
regardless, there is still "good taste" and "bad taste". otherwise everyone and their mother would be a critic.

Yes, the concepts and ideas of good taste and bad taste exist, but the bands that fall under either catagory are not preset, by anybody. It's up to you who you put in there and where.

We're all critics. Every time you judge an album, you're critiquing it.

Just because somebody does it for a profession, it doesn't make their words factual or mean they have more knowledge.

i'm actually surprised nobody's mentioned criticism. it's a field and profession that wouldn't exist if taste and such were totally subjective.

Of course it would. Taste is totally subjective, 100% totally subjective. Movies, music, books, every piece of art...taste is subjective.

The only area music is OBJECTIVE in is if you are judging instrumental talent or musical ability, because that requires skill, skill is measureable and you can't PREFER who is better at something.

Music that you listen to is subjective. Totally and completely. Critics existing doesn't change that. Criticisms, published or not, are still opinions. You are incapable of differentiating between the concept of opinions not being equal, and subjectivity being non-existent.

A critic who knows shitloads about music has a more credible opinion than someone who just watches TRL, but that critic's opinion is no closer to being RIGHT than the TRL fan's opinion when it comes to what music they like.

It's simple.

what if I take a band like Stone Temple Pilots and weigh them up against Nirvana, (although I personally have my own opinion as to which one is better...and I think it's no contest) it'd be kinda hard to make a case for which one is best because I don't think either are crap.

Read that shit and tell me you honestly think you're making credible points.

You hate The Police but think they're a great band who make good music, you have an opinion on which band is better between STP and Nirvana, but you consider it a no contest...

You "like" The Backstreet Boys, but you call them utter crap.

Are you a retard?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 12:04 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's amazing people aren't getting this.

I get exactly what you're saying, it's just phenomenally stupid.

-AC

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 12:05 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You hate The Police but think they're a great band who make good music, you have an opinion on which band is better between STP and Nirvana, but you consider it a no contest...

You "like" The Backstreet Boys, but you call them utter crap.

Are you a retard?

-AC

laughing

It's official...he doesn't get it.

No clue.

Clealry and absolutely oblivious to this kind of thinking.

Wouldn't know where to start.

It's as foreign a concept to him as Paris Hilton vacationing in a monastery.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 12:11 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I do, actually.

You see, the problem with your argument is that you assume there is some mythical way of factually gauging which taste is better, despite admitting you don't know how or why it would be possible (It's not), and admitting that nobody can do it.

If you accept this and realise that outside of proveable areas, nothing you say is anything close to a factual statement, you will see why you are wrong.

By saying a painting is good or crap, you are simply expressing your opinion. You aren't standing there saying there was no skill involved, you aren't demeaning the painter him/herself, you are simply saying you dislike what he/she has produced, which is your right.

Someone else may disagree and say they like it.

Just like music.

That's how it is, that is a fact. You cannot oppose fact.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 12:17 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Do we have a life?

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 12:21 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

People have no clue what they are talking about, in this thread.

Mainly one person actually, although not the above-quoted poster.

Last edited by Victor Von Doom on Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 12:28 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually, he knows exactly what he's talking about. Maybe you should read some of his other posts to understand the discussion better.

As for The Core (which is who I think you have in mind)...he's pretty darn close. You and AC seem like you're out of it completely me thinks...sorry.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 5th, 2007 at 01:10 AM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 01:07 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Or maybe you're just agreeing with idiots that are...idiots.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 01:11 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
People have no clue what they are talking about, in this thread.

Mainly one person actually, although not the above-quoted poster.

Is it....is it you?

Because that would be funny.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 01:11 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by BackFire
Is it....is it you?

Because that would be funny.

Fairly.

Actually, he knows exactly what he's talking about. Maybe you should read some of his other posts to understand the discussion better.

As for The Core (which is who I think you have in mind)...he's pretty darn close. You and AC seem like you're out of it completely me thinks...sorry.

Out of what? Your argument consists of what, 'there's good and shit music, because there is, although I can't prove it, but people say it, I like bands, who aren't good, are shit, good, music is good and shit, I like them are shitgood shit good'.

You have literally made zero sense, and then have the audacity to point out that people aren't as senseless as you as if it casts a bad light on their knowledge.

What is your argument? Music can be qualitatively assessed, but we can't do it?

Not very impressive, that.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 01:57 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Out of what? Your argument consists of what, 'there's good and shit music, because there is, although I can't prove it, but people say it, I like bands, who aren't good, are shit, good, music is good and shit, I like them are shitgood shit good'.

laughing

That's awesome.

Kudos!

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 02:01 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

There was more to his post, try replying to that.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 02:03 AM