KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Fantasy Baseball

Fantasy Baseball
Started by: DigiMark007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Fantasy Baseball

So I'm in a league for the first time ever this year...

I'm new at it, and a decent amount of my league is too. But a few are vets. And I don't like to lose (or, at least, I don't like to be "dead weight").

So I guess this is just me wanting to have a place to chat about fantasy baseball. It took me about a year to wrap my brain around fantasy football, and baseball seems like it might actually be more complex.

So anything people want to add is cool: Your own stories, personal ideas, tips, tricks, strategies, etc.

Personally, I'm targeting Pirates players in my draft since I'll go to a bunch of games and can root them on (not entirely, of course, since like I said I want to do well....but people like Sanchez, Bay, etc. will likely end up with me).

P.S. Hopefully this hasn't been done. I did a search and nothing came up.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2007 04:59 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Only football for me.

Takes too much time for baseball.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2007 06:16 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

I'm in a league, winner gets $200. That's really the only reason I did it. I like baseball better than football, but not for Fantasy teams. I would give you tips but I really can't because this is my first time actually playing.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2007 03:58 PM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Well good luck then Zeke. I'll probably update this every so often, so I'll be learning as it goes along.

Not sure what the winner gets in mine (there's something like 10 teams at $10 a pop). It was going to be just for pride, but we all felt like making it worth something at least. So practice for a cheap price I guess.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2007 04:23 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

I did it for the first time last year it was interesting. Have to really stay on top of the season if you want a good chance. Like I got papellbon off of waivers just beacuse i was paying close attention to things and he became like the #1 save guy. Pitching was my saving grace. My league was a head to head set up. Where you compete in like 9 categories. I won in saves every single week. Its really nice if you can get a stat or 2 that you can lock up like that. Try to get guys with multiple values. Like someone you can play at 3-4 positions. Or a guy whos gonna steal a lot of bases and hit 20-30 HR's. I am no veteran but it is a lot easier to get screwed if you have a lot of guys who are limited at what position they can play or who are mainly 1-2 stat guys.

I think im done trying to organize KMC fantasy but if someone wants to start one.. let me know

GL

Old Post Mar 12th, 2007 12:15 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Come on, your still doing fantasy football right?

That went pretty well.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2007 06:51 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Re: Fantasy Baseball

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007
So I'm in a league for the first time ever this year...

I'm new at it, and a decent amount of my league is too. But a few are vets. And I don't like to lose (or, at least, I don't like to be "dead weight").

So I guess this is just me wanting to have a place to chat about fantasy baseball. It took me about a year to wrap my brain around fantasy football, and baseball seems like it might actually be more complex.

So anything people want to add is cool: Your own stories, personal ideas, tips, tricks, strategies, etc.

Personally, I'm targeting Pirates players in my draft since I'll go to a bunch of games and can root them on (not entirely, of course, since like I said I want to do well....but people like Sanchez, Bay, etc. will likely end up with me).

Know your scoring system is all I can say....no different than fantasy football. wink

P.S. Hopefully this hasn't been done. I did a search and nothing came up.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2007 02:27 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

Originally posted by Smasandian
Come on, your still doing fantasy football right?

That went pretty well.

yea football i wouldnt mind keeping up with.

So if you get the #1 pick who you taking?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2007 08:43 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Nah, 1 league is enough for me. I think we can skip a KMC league.

But thanks for the tips forum.

And I might actually not go for Pujols with the #1 pick this year (if I have it). He peaked the last couple seasons, and Ryan Howard is still trending up.

Anyway, I hope I get a late round 1 pick and can shore up 2 positions with #1 guys (like Chase Utley/Johan Santana....something like that).

Old Post Mar 14th, 2007 11:29 PM
forumcrew

utley and santana are both top 5ish guys. Santana will go 1-3 in almost any league, utley is prolly gonna go 6-9 on average because of the weakness of 2b.

So spurt of the moment I joined a league about 20 min before they were gonna draft. This is the team I ended up with:

Starting:
Jason Kendall -- C
Paul Konerko -- 1B
Robinson Canó -- 2B
Miguel Tejada -- SS
Joe Crede -- 3B
Alfonso Soriano -- OF
Jason Bay -- OF
Jeff Francoeur -- OF
Richie Sexson -- 1B (Utility)

Bench:
Julio Lugo -- 2B,3B,SS
Howie Kendrick -- 1B,2B
Adrián González -- 1B
Kenny Lofton -- OF

SP:
Ben Sheets -- SP
Justin Verlander -- SP
Ted Lilly -- SP
Anibal Sánchez -- SP
Josh Johnson -- SP,RP
Ian Snell -- SP

RP:
Chad Cordero -- RP
Brian Fuentes -- RP
Todd Jones -- RP
Mike Timlin -- RP
Pat Neshek -- RP
Scott Proctor -- RP

For a 12 team league, with little time to think about/prep I am pretty happy about the team I pulled together.

Bonds and Clemens both went in I think round 8 btw. Also Pitchers started flying much earlier than I expected. Catcher is a spot I never wanna waste a good pick on either, I hoped id get someone better than kendal still, but catchers went freaking 18 deep in a 12 team league. I took kendal with my last pick in the draft, after 6 of the 12 teams had already gone 2 deep in catchers (which is crazy)

If you are curious how the top rounds went, this is what it looked like:

Round 1
1. Albert Pujols
2. Johan Santana
3. Alfonso Soriano
4. Ryan Howard
5. José Reyes
6. Chase Utley
7. Álex Rodríguez
8. Carlos Beltrán
9. Miguel Cabrera
10. Chris Carpenter
11. David Wright
12. David Ortiz
Round 2
1. Vladimir Guerrero
2. Lance Berkman
3. Manny Ramírez
4. Ichiro Suzuki
5. Carl Crawford
6. Mark Teixeira
7. Carlos Lee
8. Travis Hafner
9. Derek Jeter
10. Miguel Tejada
11. Joe Mauer
12. Grady Sizemore
Round 3
1. Hanley Ramírez
2. Jimmy Rollins
3. Jason Bay
4. Roy Oswalt
5. Justin Morneau
6. Matt Holliday
7. Francisco Rodríguez
8. B.J. Ryan
9. Víctor Martínez
10. Michael Young
11. Derrek Lee
12. Andruw Jones

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 06:57 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Damn. Chase is going too soon in most drafts. I have the 4th pick in mine (only 6 teams), so I have 4 then 9. I want Utley to fall to 9 because 4 is too early for him....too many others will be available.

Ah well.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 25th, 2007 at 04:46 PM

Old Post Mar 25th, 2007 04:43 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Howard AND Utley ( ). Small league though, so everyone's pretty stacked.

I have one of the most well-rounded teams on paper, but there's a few teams with some startling position advantages (one guy has Crawford, Soriano, and Beltran in teh OF, for example).

Utley and Mauer will be huge in determining my success, as they are expected to be the best at their respective positions.

Starting:
Joe Mauer: C
Ryan Howard: 1B
Chase Utley: 2B
Ryan Zimmerman: 3B
Miguel Tejada: SS
Vlad Guerrero: OF
Johnny Damon: OF
Hideki Matsui: OF
Michael Young: Util.

SP: Chris Carpenter, Carlos Zambrano
RP: Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman
P: CC Sabathia, Dontrelle Willis, Jason Schmidt

Bench: Scott Rolen (3B), Jeff Kent (1B, 2B), Adam Dunn (OF), Mike Mussina (P), Tim Wakefield (P).

Wakefield was kind of a joke...I'll be letting him go soon.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2007 06:05 PM
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

Here is my team(12 team draft)
C- Ramon Hernadez
1B- Richie Sexson
2B- Plácido Polanco
3B- Troy Glaus
SS- Jimmy Rollins
OF- Andruw Jones
OF- Adam Dunn
OF- Brian Giles
UTIL-Adrián Béltre
UTIL- Brandon Inge
UTIL- Joe Crede
BENCH
Jhonny Peralta
Johnny Estrada
Mark Loretta
José Guillén
Kevin Youkilis
Jack Wilson

PITCHERS
Johan Santana
Cole Hamels
Francisco Rodríguez
Todd Jones
Ervin Santana
Derek Lowe
A.J. Burnett
Adam Wainwright
Jake Westbrook
Joe Blanton
Noah Lowry

Old Post Mar 25th, 2007 06:24 PM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Hmm. I realize it's 12 teams, and maybe it's because I'm a fantasy baseball newb, but Santana is really the only one who inspires any sort of fear in me from that roster. Rollins is a nice pickup, but to me Andruw Jones as a #1 OF seems less than reassuring.

But that's just my input. My league is obviously much smaller so I'm not comparing the two....it's just general thoughts.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2007 07:15 PM
forumcrew

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Damn. Chase is going too soon in most drafts. I have the 4th pick in mine (only 6 teams), so I have 4 then 9. I want Utley to fall to 9 because 4 is too early for him....too many others will be available.

Ah well.

i wouldnt waste such a high pick on utley either. I targeted Cano and got him I think in the 5th round.

I would be a bit cautious with Mauer also. I know he is dealing with some injuries at the moment.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2007 01:04 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by forumcrew
i wouldnt waste such a high pick on utley either. I targeted Cano and got him I think in the 5th round.

I would be a bit cautious with Mauer also. I know he is dealing with some injuries at the moment.

Meh, figures. I have them both. But with the teams all being fairly loaded (if they were smart) having Utley as the clear #1 at his position is still nice.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2007 11:10 PM
forumcrew

Oh I would definitely want Utley hes good, just dont think I could pull the trigger at #4.

I just traded Anibal Sánchez for Scott Olsen. Pretty happy about that.

ps. jorge jolio just became the marlins closer.

Last edited by forumcrew on Mar 28th, 2007 at 06:34 PM

Old Post Mar 28th, 2007 06:22 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Matt Cain or Chris Young?

Old Post Mar 28th, 2007 07:46 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

I would say Cain. Young is definitely the safer bet if you wanna be more conservative, but Cain looked better towards the end of the season and I think hes worth the gamble.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2007 09:24 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Pitching. Staff. Murdered.

no expression

Mussina, Carpenter, Schmidt. All on teh DL. Killing me right now. Otherwise, my starters have been producing...just not enough to make up for the crap pitching.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 07:52 PM