KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Absolute Happiness

Absolute Happiness
Started by: Goddess Kali

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well I chose to be in my own little world!! mad stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 12:20 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo

eek! No, you can't!! I will not let you. evil face stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 12:28 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Black Ghost
Observer

I wish it were so easy.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 02:37 AM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by The Black Ghost
I wish it were so easy.

It's easy for Deb. eek! laughing jk

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 03:08 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

And it works too!! You just have to be flexible, that's all..cool

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 07:52 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

And it works too!! You just have to be flexible, that's all..cool

Like this?(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 09:10 PM
The Black Ghost
Observer

Holy crap.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 11:34 PM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Like this?(please log in to view the image)
Well sorta but more mentally adaptable....Kinda like if one neural pathway gets blocked, you just create another route......Simple really...one eye

Nothing like a good cerebellorubrothalamocortical.

Last edited by debbiejo on Jun 15th, 2007 at 01:17 AM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 01:14 AM
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Do you always consider “Hello JIA” an attack on Buddhism? I think you misunderstood the joke.

He has attacked Buddhism before this.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 11:18 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by Goddess Kali
Absolute Happiness is happiness that you created for yourself, indepedent of external influence. It is being happy with yourself, no longer desiring anything else.

And anyone who can achieve this is a person I never want to be around. No one can "not desire." Even those who say they "do not want desire" anything have to "desire to not want to desire" by default.

That is a very, very dangerous person. A nice number of people who get to this point are sociopaths.

Edit: To clarify, absolute happiness is not possible. "Absolute" seems to mean "infinite" or "non-changing." I'm just too lazy to explain fully and I just got a phone call. I will come back LOL

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Last edited by chithappens on Jun 16th, 2007 at 02:50 AM

Old Post Jun 16th, 2007 02:45 AM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by chithappens
And anyone who can achieve this is a person I never want to be around. No one can "not desire." Even those who say they "do not want desire" anything have to "desire to not want to desire" by default.

That is a very, very dangerous person. A nice number of people who get to this point are sociopaths.

Edit: To clarify, absolute happiness is not possible. "Absolute" seems to mean "infinite" or "non-changing." I'm just too lazy to explain fully and I just got a phone call. I will come back LOL

Chit, read this:

Well, Buddhism helps me shape my beliefs, and the Ten Worlds can be applicable to any situation and any religion. I do not beleive in a literal mythological version of Heaven and Hell, but I do beleive in the philosophical versions of Heaven and Hell...

You basically have your world of intense agony, and your world of intense joy. Everyone has experienced both. Everyone can relate. There is nothing exclusive about the Buddhist Concept of Heaven and Hell, the way Christianity's versions are exclusive.

However, what many fail to realize is that those worlds are both fragile, and dependent on other forces. Niether of them are self-created, in fact, we have to lose ourselves in order to live in those worlds.

They exist with our permission, but we do not create those realms for ourselves. We only walk the paths to the realms.

When we "create our own Hell" we surround ourself in suffering. We may cause suffering, or allow ourselves to suffer over things that are not worth suffering over. However, the suffering we experience is created by external factors which we give power to.

Same with Heaven...we seek out pleasures, we depend on other people, we plan certain desirable outcomes, and when things go our way we experience intense happiness. However, that happiness is fragile, and can be short-lived, because the happiness is completely dependent on and only fueled by the object of our passion.

Bodhisvattva is the realm in which we look past ourselves....for we already realize the truth of Heaven and Hell, we realize that we have control over our paths and may enter and leave those worlds as we wish, and then we only desire for others to find the same freedom we have.

Bodhisvattva is something we all experience, because we have all cared about the happiness and safety of another person more than our own, at one time or another.

You misunderstand what I say. Bodhisattva is not freedom from desire, it is freedom from poisonous and mind comsuming passions, the realization that we are in control of our behavior, outlook, and mentality. We do not have to suffer if we do not want to.

1) When you have the power to decide what's worth suffering, and what's not, your joy increases.

2) When you learn to be happy with yourself, and realize that you do not NEED more, you only want more, those desires have less control over your mind. You realize that a feeling is just a feeling, a desire is just a desire, and does not need to be fulfilled.

3) You eventually begin to see the suffering in others, how needless that suffering is. You see men and women suffering through heartbreak. You seem men and women who have self esteem issues, or who are ruled by fears of loneliness, failure, etc. You see right through thier suffering, and know that they haven't acquired the personal power to overcome thier suffering.

4) You eventually find joy only in helping others strengthen themselves and achieve thier own happiness. It is a cycle of sorts. You do not desire for them to like you, because that is selfish and superficial. You only desire that they are happy....and realize the same power you have.

Do you now understand what I am saying ?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 12:30 AM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Ok I follow now. I can't argue against that at all.

How many can achieve that level of control is probably small though, but I do like the idea. Similar to something I noticed a while ago, although it was nowhere near as thorough

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 02:08 AM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Happiness only comes from within.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 03:45 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Buddhist! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 10:32 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Buddhist! roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 02:32 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by BobbyD
laughing out loud

Are you happy? wink

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 03:41 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

On the inside. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 11:46 PM
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by BobbyD
Happiness only comes from within.

But can travel throughout big grin

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2007 06:41 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

He has attacked Buddhism before this.

Yes, he has, but why do you care what he thinks? How you feel is your responsibility, and if someone says something, it is up to you to decide how you feel. No one can make you mad.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2007 05:04 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

You can only control your reactions to your emotions. You cannot control your life so that you can prevent yourself from getting angry. You can only choose how to respond to that anger.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2007 06:47 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote