KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Animations / CGI » Beowulf

Beowulf
Started by: D-Wag

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scythe
Angelina looks hot in the film.

Yes she does, I may have to change my mind ands see this.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 24th, 2007 07:25 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I wanted to see this until i found out it was cgi. I dont understand this movie. Why would you film a movie as though you are filming a live action movie and then go out of your way to make it look cgi?

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 11:46 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Itzak
The other extreme

I've always loved the story, but I don't think even that could save this film. Looks pretty sad. If it gets good reviews I might see it though.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 03:44 PM
Itzak is currently offline Click here to Send Itzak a Private Message Find more posts by Itzak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joe K
I dee kay.

It looks ok.
I wish it was real though.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 03:09 PM
Joe K is currently offline Click here to Send Joe K a Private Message Find more posts by Joe K Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

Looks stupid to me.

"Put him in a straightjacket, the man's sick!"

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 05:18 PM
SpaceMonkey is currently offline Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Scythe
Angelina looks hot in the film.

She looks like how she does in everyday life. But isn't that the problem?
Why go through with all of this motion-capture CGI, only to have characters look like the actors? Why not just shoot it in live-action, and CGI certain effects where needed?
This approach is going to divide people. It's not real-looking enough, yet because it's animated some will think it's for the family, but the story of Beowulf is too scary for small kids. Who will make up the mass audience?
At least Frank Miller's 300 used real actors & some sets, to mesh with the ultra-stylized backgrounds.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 10:05 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Originally posted by roughrider
Beowulf And Grendel was a great film - I'll defend it against any criticism! It's an intelligent look at how the story could really have happened (hence the tagline: Behind The Legend Lies The Tale), with the theme about how systems of belief made us do what we do, the ending of the old myths with the encroachment of christianity, and how murky the line of good and evil is between opposing cultures.

I hated that they were talking like they were in modern day. All the acting imo was bs even Gerard Butler (whom I loved in 300) was crap in the movie. And I hated Grendel's cheap look, he looked like a barbarian, just like a normal person with overgrown hair in some places and fangs. He didn't look anything like the monster Grendel could've been. His mother at least appeared monstrous. Overall I found it to be a very poor film erm

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 01:45 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Yes she does, I may have to change my mind ands see this.

Why is your entire view of the film revolving around Angelina Jolie? She's a big name actress but it doesn't mean she'll make or break the film. The storyline alone, along with the characters are great. I think you'll be satisfied if you go see it. Looks like they've even added an extra creature to the film.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 01:48 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Menetnashté
I hated that they were talking like they were in modern day. All the acting imo was bs even Gerard Butler (whom I loved in 300) was crap in the movie. And I hated Grendel's cheap look, he looked like a barbarian, just like a normal person with overgrown hair in some places and fangs. He didn't look anything like the monster Grendel could've been. His mother at least appeared monstrous. Overall I found it to be a very poor film erm

The idea was, as the tale would be told again and again across different cultures, Grendel's legend would be exaggerated - the original poem was an oral one. So he goes from being a monstrous troll-like human to a demonic creature imagined as half wolf, half bear ( J.R.R. Tolkien credits Grendel & his Mother as inspiration for the Orcs.) Plus, the influx of Christianity would add elements like him being descended from Cain and thereby cursed; one of Beowulf's party hears Cain being discussed and doesn't see what it had to do with Grendel at all, remember.
In similar fashion, Beowulf's legend gets exaggerated with the tale over time; going from being one of the best warriors in Scandinavia to a figure of Herculean proportions, who wouldn't even use a sword against Grendel and preferred his own hands( as depicted in the poem.)
I say all this as one who's loved the poem & story since high school; I even have Jerry Bingham's Graphic Novel of the story from 1984. I just appreciated this different take on the story, and was proud the Canadian Film Industry showed they could do an epic-sized story.
Now, this new version seems to take all of the poem literally, but it's cartoony look isn't working for me. Songs by Glen Ballard? Why the hell do we need songs...?

Attachment: binghambeowulf.jpg
This has been downloaded 119 time(s).

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 03:28 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wasn't Beowulf supposed to be blind and really young looking?

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 04:10 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joe K
I dee kay.

Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
No.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 03:27 PM
Joe K is currently offline Click here to Send Joe K a Private Message Find more posts by Joe K Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
I don't know who you're thinking of.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 05:31 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Menetnashté
Why is your entire view of the film revolving around Angelina Jolie? She's a big name actress but it doesn't mean she'll make or break the film. The storyline alone, along with the characters are great. I think you'll be satisfied if you go see it. Looks like they've even added an extra creature to the film.

Having a big name actor/actress will tend to make or break a film. Beowulf cost a lot of money, that is also a factor. Also I've read the Beowulf story countless times so I know that they took some liberties. Those liberties however I hope will be good and thus hopefully a better film. I also felt that they should have hired someone else to portray Beowulf, so I think that Ray Winstone has to do a bang up job.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 10:55 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

The idea was, as the tale would be told again and again across different cultures, Grendel's legend would be exaggerated - the original poem was an oral one. So he goes from being a monstrous troll-like human to a demonic creature imagined as half wolf, half bear ( J.R.R. Tolkien credits Grendel & his Mother as inspiration for the Orcs.) Plus, the influx of Christianity would add elements like him being descended from Cain and thereby cursed; one of Beowulf's party hears Cain being discussed and doesn't see what it had to do with Grendel at all, remember.
In similar fashion, Beowulf's legend gets exaggerated with the tale over time; going from being one of the best warriors in Scandinavia to a figure of Herculean proportions, who wouldn't even use a sword against Grendel and preferred his own hands( as depicted in the poem.)
I say all this as one who's loved the poem & story since high school; I even have Jerry Bingham's Graphic Novel of the story from 1984. I just appreciated this different take on the story, and was proud the Canadian Film Industry showed they could do an epic-sized story.
Now, this new version seems to take all of the poem literally, but it's cartoony look isn't working for me. Songs by Glen Ballard? Why the hell do we need songs...?

Well you have your opinion. I really didn't like Beowulf and Grendel though. I was expecting a lot more from it, and it didn't deliver in my eyes. I never could've pictured Grendel like that. Physically and mentally. I'm not crazy about it being CGI either but it's not bothering me that much. I'm looking forward to it.
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Having a big name actor/actress will tend to make or break a film. Beowulf cost a lot of money, that is also a factor. Also I've read the Beowulf story countless times so I know that they took some liberties. Those liberties however I hope will be good and thus hopefully a better film. I also felt that they should have hired someone else to portray Beowulf, so I think that Ray Winstone has to do a bang up job.

Ah, I thought you were basing it solely off of Angelina, that's how it looked in your prior posts. Sorry for making quick accusations. I don't think I've seen Winstone in anything else

Old Post Oct 31st, 2007 05:13 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

I'm not against any filmmakers taking some narrative liberties with the story. It doesn't have a structure that you can use for a film; you have to create a narrative line that connects Beowulf, Grendel & the Dragon from beginning to end. In the poem, these seem like random tales. That doesn't work on the big screen - you need a skeleton, a structure, subtext to bring it all together.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2007 03:21 PM
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Looks like a new trailer for 1-18-08 is gunna be in this movie

TGFwashere

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 07:21 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ariwin

I heard that the 1-18 preview is going to be shown before the movie too, which is really cool.....

I totally think that the storyline alone is going to make it fantastic... but having big name actors/actresses like Angelina Jolie is def not going to hurt... and lets not forget there are so many other talented actors in it... ahem Anthony Hopkins....and personally I love Ray Winstone and I think he is going to be able to pull off the Beowulf character....I actually watched him in Sexy Beast yesterday and was really impressed!

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 07:37 PM
ariwin is currently offline Click here to Send ariwin a Private Message Find more posts by ariwin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I saw the clip shown on Yahoo - still looks like a video game. And Winstone's voice is too rough & gravely.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2007 04:29 AM
ariwin

But isn't his voice supposed to be like that, I mean he is a warrior... what's wrong with "rough & gravely?" I don't know, I'm still excited to see it

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2007 03:05 PM
ariwin is currently offline Click here to Send ariwin a Private Message Find more posts by ariwin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

I saw the clip shown on Yahoo - still looks like a video game. And Winstone's voice is too rough & gravely.

I think it looks great. When I first saw it it looked like real people. Only a few points didn't look that great. Doesn't look like any video game I ever played.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2007 12:38 AM