KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Science

Science
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
not really, i'll look it up...i never read anything about someone or some group wanting to blow up the entire planet (wwIII, but that wouldn't destroy the entire planent)...

Star Wars

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:26 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Re: Science

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Vaporizing a gravitationally bound body (moon or planet for example) takes far less energy than actually destroying it.

If the Earth were to be vaporized, the vapor would still have the same mass as the original matter of the earth, and gravity would pull it back together. The gas giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn are made of gas (vapor) and they hold together just fine. To destroy a gravitationally bound body you have to scatter its mass in all directions to the point where gravity cannot pull it back together again. This takes far more energy.

If you claim otherwise you are scientifically ignorant.

It depends on how you think through.You can't call someone ignorant just because they don't argee with you.jm smile

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 01:39 AM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
It depends on how you think through.You can't call someone ignorant just because they don't argee with you.jm smile
True, you can call them ignorant if they fit the definition of the word ignorant.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 01:45 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Star Wars

Yeah, but isn't that a war b/t starships in outer space? they don't care about earthlings or terristeral planets, they're busy in the star system, dodging their enemies or going after one.

Have you ever seen the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", I hated that movie EXCEPT for the part of the dolphins:
you have to see the entire clip to enjoy it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OoNP8AYHh0

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 01:49 AM
Czarina_Czarina is currently offline Click here to Send Czarina_Czarina a Private Message Find more posts by Czarina_Czarina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Yeah, but isn't that a war b/t starships in outer space? they don't care about earthlings or terristeral planets, they're busy in the star system, dodging their enemies or going after one.

They intentionally blew up a planet with a giant laser. It's one of the best known scenes in SciFi history.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 01:51 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Have you ever seen the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", I hated that movie EXCEPT for the part of the dolphins:
you have to see the entire clip to enjoy it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OoNP8AYHh0
Have you ever read it?

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 01:52 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Bardock42
Have you ever read it?

Reading closes the mind to true perception.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 01:54 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Have you ever read it?

I'm not into sci-fi novels, hardly into romance novels...i'll read historical and some philosohical ones. So, no, I haven't.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 02:14 AM
Czarina_Czarina is currently offline Click here to Send Czarina_Czarina a Private Message Find more posts by Czarina_Czarina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'm not into sci-fi novels, hardly into romance novels...i'll read historical and some philosohical ones. So, no, I haven't.
Aha, well, should do.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 02:16 AM
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Reading closes the mind to true perception.

REally? I thought reading was a coded language to practice exchange of communication and record information in order to avoid the unseen ability to monitor our exchange of ideas, it's a way of avoiding frequency of vibration, which other "beasts" or entities may be able to understand. Also, it's used as an exercise to dismantle and then, to recreate. So, b4 an idea (main idea) is written, it's pictured, then, it's written down. That means we start off as a whole, break things apart in different perspectives, and come around back to the whole (but we may end up with different images, as our imagination is captured in various ways depending on our previous knowledge and ability to comprehend). As we read, our brain practices forming bits of knowledge back into a whole picture.

So, reading is both a way of coding information to avoid communicating on the frequency level, and it's also a way of exercising our brains by forcing us to put the puzzled words into the original picture that was never sent to us telepathically.

That's the purpose of written language. But, I could be wrong.

Aha, well, should do.

will do.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 02:23 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What would happen if you took a rock and vaporized it?

Rocks aren't massive enough to be gravitationally bound. Their gravity isn't strong enough to hold them together.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 07:22 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by inimalist
ok, so, "vaporizing" a planet is not a scientific theory. The process by which the planet is vaporized would be a theory, as would the further actions of the atoms.

There are also many problems with the "theories". 1) Initially there is no cause of the vaporization, making it impossible to say what would happen after 2)

Complete red herring. The method does not matter, only the result. If a bowling ball is dropped from 10 feet up, you don't need to know how it got there to tell that it will fall down.

quote:
in a super nova, and vapor released from the earth would be propelled out of the solar system or could be consumed by the star.

3) In instance 1, solar winds and competing gravity from other bodies would certainly push the "vapor" around, as would any energy that was put into it to vaporize the planet. 4) Gas giants did not form from the vaporization of solid matter. 5) Diffusion would probably play a role. 6) vaporization is not defined 7) we have never witnessed anything close to vaporization anyways...

What are you talking about? Vaporization is a simply phase change of matter. You can do it in your kitchen.

quote:
wink Its nice when people use the word science, but lets make sure we aren't just doing so to make what we are saying sound impressive?

This is all confirmed by scientific understanding.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 07:24 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

provided the earth were inside of a vaccum

Space is a vacuum

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 07:25 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Schecter
do you get off on blowing hot air and insulting the intelligence of others?

oh you'll fit right in here.

Answer the question.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 07:26 AM
tsilamini

Complete red herring. The method does not matter, only the result. If a bowling ball is dropped from 10 feet up, you don't need to know how it got there to tell that it will fall down.

It does though

your question was what would happen if a planet were vaporized

there would be different results depending on how you vaporized it roll eyes (sarcastic)

What are you talking about? Vaporization is a simply phase change of matter. You can do it in your kitchen.

oh right

so, change that to "we haven't witnessed a planet vaporizing"

*awaits your smart ass response that further ignores the more fundamental point of my reply*

This is all confirmed by scientific understanding.

see, science is a word with a really specific meaning. You might be assisted if you looked it up.

And I never said that your specific points were not supported by science, but that your "theory" was not scientific.

Space is a vacuum

since when?

In space, if you just "applied" however much power Mindship came up with, you aren't going to get the result of the planet exploding. Unless you had a specific contraption that applied equal force to all atoms and were able to prevent that energy from escaping into space, there are going to be too many confounding factors that would change the way things went.

My assumption is that if one was to release that much power on the surface of the planet, there would be a big chunk of super charged atoms that escaped into space, but the energy wouldn't distribute itself accross the whole planet...

LOL, honestly, the reply was more a tounge in cheek nod to the fact that Mindship has access to knowledge that I do not, hopefully the respecfulness of it was apparent wink

Last edited by tsilamini on Sep 22nd, 2007 at 03:50 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 03:35 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

It does though

your question was what would happen if a planet were vaporized

there would be different results depending on how you vaporized it

It would depend on how much energy was input. It can all be modeled by the laws of physics.

quote:
oh right

so, change that to "we haven't witnessed a planet vaporizing"

*awaits your smart ass response that further ignores the more fundamental point of my reply*

Do you have any idea how the scientific method works? Scientists make observations, use them to create theories, test the theories against more observations and experiments, and refine them. The whole point is to be able to predict how the universe will behave without actually having to witness every single thing.

quote:
see, science is a word with a really specific meaning. You might be assisted if you looked it up.

And I never said that your specific points were not supported by science, but that your "theory" was not scientific.

Gravity is not scientific? Phase changes of matter are not scientific? This has all been understood since at least Newton's time.

quote:
since when?

In space, if you just "applied" however much power Mindship came up with, you aren't going to get the result of the planet exploding. Unless you had a specific contraption that applied equal force to all atoms and were able to prevent that energy from escaping into space, there are going to be too many confounding factors that would change the way things went.

My assumption is that if one was to release that much power on the surface of the planet, there would be a big chunk of super charged atoms that escaped into space, but the energy wouldn't distribute itself accross the whole planet...

LOL, honestly, the reply was more a tounge in cheek nod to the fact that Mindship has access to knowledge that I do not, hopefully the respecfulness of it was apparent wink

Certainly it's possible to eject a fraction of planetary mass from its own gravity (we've done it many times with our space probes), but ejecting the entire planet's mass so that gravity will not reform it is a completely different matter. The gravitational binding energy models this requirement.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 06:16 PM
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

REally? I thought reading was a coded language to practice exchange of communication and record information in order to avoid the unseen ability to monitor our exchange of ideas, it's a way of avoiding frequency of vibration, which other "beasts" or entities may be able to understand. Also, it's used as an exercise to dismantle and then, to recreate. So, b4 an idea (main idea) is written, it's pictured, then, it's written down. That means we start off as a whole, break things apart in different perspectives, and come around back to the whole (but we may end up with different images, as our imagination is captured in various ways depending on our previous knowledge and ability to comprehend). As we read, our brain practices forming bits of knowledge back into a whole picture.

So, reading is both a way of coding information to avoid communicating on the frequency level, and it's also a way of exercising our brains by forcing us to put the puzzled words into the original picture that was never sent to us telepathically.

That's the purpose of written language. But, I could be wrong.

will do.

For once, Czarina makes a very good point.

I actually agree with her.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 06:53 PM
The Grey Fox is currently offline Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

It would depend on how much energy was input. It can all be modeled by the laws of physics.

Do you have any idea how the scientific method works? Scientists make observations, use them to create theories, test the theories against more observations and experiments, and refine them. The whole point is to be able to predict how the universe will behave without actually having to witness every single thing.

Gravity is not scientific? Phase changes of matter are not scientific? This has all been understood since at least Newton's time.

Certainly it's possible to eject a fraction of planetary mass from its own gravity (we've done it many times with our space probes), but ejecting the entire planet's mass so that gravity will not reform it is a completely different matter. The gravitational binding energy models this requirement.

my point was that you have not proposed anything close to a scientific theory

you have yet to. The closest you have come is saying that "The energy required to vaporize a body would be less than the energy required to explode it". That COULD be a theory if you made some specifications and operational definitions.

and if you are really interested, yes, I am well versed in the scientific method, scientific philosophy, and the realities of scientific research

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 07:23 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

"So then the magnitude of energy to explode the Earth is somewhere in the range of 10^32 J."

10^32 joules translates to an explosion in the range of 100 billion billion gigatons.

High estimates of the total energy released by the Shoemaker-Levy comet fragments colliding with Jupiter are about 100,000 gigatons.

The energy to "explode" the Earth is therefore like a million billion Shoemaker-Levy comets (the whole of each comet, not fragments) striking our planet.

Someone may wanna check my math, because right now, if they struck all over the surface in wave after wave, that seems like more than enough ka-boom to turn us into plasma (maybe most of our iron core would survive).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Sep 22nd, 2007 at 08:44 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2007 08:29 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

nice calculations. Seems fine to me.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2007 12:45 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote