KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Top 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

The Top 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MJOILNIR

I was under the impression that the patriots character was more or less based on Daniel Morgan..He seems the more likely anyway..

Old Post Aug 5th, 2008 05:05 AM
MJOILNIR is currently offline Click here to Send MJOILNIR a Private Message Find more posts by MJOILNIR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Re: The Top 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
9) Gladiator

Emperor Commodus was not the sniveling sister-obsessed creep portrayed in the movie. A violent alcoholic, sure, but not so whiny. He ruled ably for over a decade rather than ineptly for a couple months. He also didn't kill his father, Marcus Aurelius, who actually died of chickenpox. And instead of being killed in the gladiatorial arena, he was murdered in his bathtub.

Can one really die from the Chicken Pox? I never knew this.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 11:10 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: The Top 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

Can one really die from the Chicken Pox? I never knew this.

Chicken pox can be fatal, though it's extremely rare. I think they meant smallpox though, as that certainly is deadly and smallpox outbreaks happened several times in Rome's history.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 02:16 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I just looked it up.

Sources I saw said it is not known exactly what disease offed him.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 02:50 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
I just looked it up.

Sources I saw said it is not known exactly what disease offed him.

There was a smallpox epidemic during the time of his death if I recall, so it's a likely cause. He could have died of old age just the same though.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 03:10 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Robtard
There was a smallpox epidemic during the time of his death if I recall, so it's a likely cause. He could have died of old age just the same though.
Yeah Smallpox is most likely.

He was only 58 when he died, though at that time death from age may not have been uncommon, don't know.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 03:11 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Yeah. Smallpox is a more believable substitute.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 10:05 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

8) 300

Though this paean to ancient moral codes and modern physical training is based on the real Battle of Thermopylae, the film takes many stylistic liberties. The most obvious one being Persian king Xerxes was not an 8-foot-tall Cirque du Soleil reject. The Spartan council was made up of men over the age of 60, with no one as young as Theron (played by 37-year-old Dominic West). And the warriors of Sparta went into battle wearing bronze armor, not just leather Speedos.
The fact that 300 was based off of a very stylized graphic novel, and that neither the novel nor the film claimed to be historically accurate, makes this guy lose points.

There are probably dozens of films that are more inaccurate than these 10, the author's just picking them because they're known commodities that he can make lame jokes about and (almost) everyone will get them.

Last edited by Strangelove on Aug 14th, 2008 at 08:59 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2008 08:55 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Bump.

Any new thoughts anyone?

Old Post Jan 21st, 2009 10:01 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

how about space cowboys when, at the end, they blast tommy lee jones off to the moon while riding a massive nuclear warhead platform at 30,000mph and despite him having no way to land he still manages to walk away from the crash and sit against a rock on the moon and look at the earth until he dies.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 21st, 2009 10:15 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

This is the Historical thread. Not the science thread. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 21st, 2009 10:16 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

bollocks...i knew i was doing it in the wrong one too...laughing out loud

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 21st, 2009 10:19 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I can't believe Pocahontas and Anastasia weren't on this list. Even "The New World," which is an improvement from Disney's Pocahontas took liberties. Also, since most archeologists believe the Trojan War did take place now, would Troy apply here?

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 03:53 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord S
King

'Troy' should be on that list because the Trojan War was supposed to have lasted years...not just a week or two.

Many Muslims believe that the movie 'Gandhi' was historically incorrect...but I don't know why.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2009 08:40 PM
Lord S is currently offline Click here to Send Lord S a Private Message Find more posts by Lord S Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

[B]Here's a fun subject.

Click here for the full article.

10) 10,000 B.C.

Director Roland Emmerich is usually a stickler for realism (see: sending a computer virus via Macintosh to aliens in Independence Day). So we hate to inform him that woolly mammoths were not, in fact, used to build pyramids. Heck, woolly mammoths weren't even found in the desert. They wouldn't need to be woolly if that were the case. And there weren't any pyramids in Egypt until 2,500 B.C or so.

Excellent fun thread.

Just because Mammoths weren´t found in the desert doesn´t mean they weren´t used to build them, its been proven that the Pyramids were eroded by rain, tropical rain forest type rain. And they were built 10,000 years ago when there wasn´t a desert there. So daft as it may sound it could be possible. I doubt that the large variety of races which were present in the movie were around though.)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2009 08:57 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tom_servo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Top 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

Originally posted by Blinky
Well anybody who went to go see 300 and expected to see even a remotely historically accurate movie is an idiot in the first place.

Agreed.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 12:04 AM
tom_servo is currently offline Click here to Send tom_servo a Private Message Find more posts by tom_servo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MightyEInherjar
Two Ravens Above Us

How is Pathfinder not on this list?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2009 10:42 PM
MightyEInherjar is currently offline Click here to Send MightyEInherjar a Private Message Find more posts by MightyEInherjar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

There's an anachronism in Saving Private Ryan that's forgivable, but Spielberg and his entourage still should have spotted it. The phone in the Ryan family farmhouse had a coiled cord instead of a straight one. Coiled phone-cords weren't invented until the 50's.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2009 10:47 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
There's an anachronism in Saving Private Ryan that's forgivable, but Spielberg and his entourage still should have spotted it. The phone in the Ryan family farmhouse had a coiled cord instead of a straight one. Coiled phone-cords weren't invented until the 50's.

Goddamn, I knew there was something wrong in that scene.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 05:25 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

If 2001 one is on the list, you may have well as added Total Recall as well.

I think that was suppose to take place in 2004 or something.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 03:12 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote