KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom
Started by: Doc Ock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
steverules_2

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Steve? Your sig is depressing.

Also, welcome back to the forums Ock!

Well then look at my avatar

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Dec 20th, 2008 11:18 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Ash231
Harbinger of Dur

Re: Re: Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

Originally posted by steverules_2
I don't like Venom due to his 'cool look' I like him because I think he is a good villain and I find his stories to be very interesting.....when it was Eddie. So saying that he is liked due to his look isn't entirely true.

Venom was popular in the '90s, but he's a poorly-conceived character with a confusing origin and an idiotic motivation.

Sig by Inhuman

Old Post Dec 20th, 2008 11:40 PM
Bad Ash231 is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Ash231 a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Ash231 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Re: Re: Re: Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

Originally posted by Bad Ash231
Venom was popular in the '90s, but he's a poorly-conceived character with a confusing origin and an idiotic motivation.

They try and make the motivation better...the fact that spiderman cauught the real killer did kinda mess up Eddies life but it's not spidermans fault for catching the right guy and proving eddies story false. The original idea for venoms motive (when he was gonna be a she) was much better, a mother wanting revenge against spiderman since her son died due to an error made by him but it was changed as most people know.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Dec 20th, 2008 11:51 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Ash231
Harbinger of Dur

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

They try and make the motivation better...the fact that spiderman cauught the real killer did kinda mess up Eddies life but it's not spidermans fault for catching the right guy and proving eddies story false.

That's what annoys me whenever I read a Venom centered story. He talks about Spider-Man finding the real killer like it's a BAD thing.

The original idea for venoms motive (when he was gonna be a she) was much better, a mother wanting revenge against spiderman since her son died due to an error made by him but it was changed as most people know.

I've read about that one. It could have been an interesting idea.

Sig by Inhuman

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 12:39 AM
Bad Ash231 is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Ash231 a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Ash231 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by Keehar
That's rather harsh. The first two Spider-Man movies are extremely popular. I hardly think one bad movie ruins the whole franchise. The James Bond franchise has had a few terrible movies, but they didn't kill the franchise. They can bounce back by making Spider-Man 4 good.

And I think Raimi is correct. Venom is a weak character. He has no depth or substance. He's just a glorified stalker with a chip on his shoulder. Can't blame him for not wanting to use Venom in his movies.

And since Raimi is helming Spider-Man 4, I think it's safe to say we wont see a whiff of any symbiote related characters. Thank god.
If he didn't wanna use him, he shouldn't have. S3 wasn't horrible, but Venom deserves to be done right or not done at all. I was really pissed when S3 1st came out, but it's not that bad about a year later.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 01:45 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

Re: Re: Re: Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

Originally posted by Bad Ash231

The motivation may be weak, but it obviously was enough to push him over the edge. The more Venom appeared, the more we learn that Eddie was actually kind of loony even before he acquired the symbiote, so it's important to keep in mind that any sort of failure could be enough to make him crazy.

Last edited by Phoenix2001 on Dec 21st, 2008 at 06:26 AM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 06:22 AM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sparkz

Blimey it's been a while since I've made a post...anyway, you can't say Goblin is more evil than Doc Ock from the things he's done to Peter, Doc Ock has done plenty of evil things, just because they weren't aimed at Spidey every time dosen't make them any less evil.

I've said this many a time too, Green Goblin is Peter's worst enemy attacking his loved ones etc.

Doc Ock is Spidey's worst enemy, challenging the web head whenever he can, forcing him to unmask in front of new york or he would kill a senator (or something like that) and saving spidey from a virus just so he could keep on fighting him.

As for Venom, he's kind of in the middle, he trounces Spidey in the power set and stalks Peter, he has plenty of depth thanks to the moral code, but alot is taken away when you hear why he hates spidey. Venom is great ( I find him intresting, as eye candy and story wise) but he isn't like GG or Ock.

That's my opinion anyway take it or leave it lol

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 12:11 AM
Sparkz is currently offline Click here to Send Sparkz a Private Message Find more posts by Sparkz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by Sparkz
Blimey it's been a while since I've made a post...anyway, you can't say Goblin is more evil than Doc Ock from the things he's done to Peter, Doc Ock has done plenty of evil things, just because they weren't aimed at Spidey every time dosen't make them any less evil.

I've said this many a time too, Green Goblin is Peter's worst enemy attacking his loved ones etc.

Doc Ock is Spidey's worst enemy, challenging the web head whenever he can, forcing him to unmask in front of new york or he would kill a senator (or something like that) and saving spidey from a virus just so he could keep on fighting him.

As for Venom, he's kind of in the middle, he trounces Spidey in the power set and stalks Peter, he has plenty of depth thanks to the moral code, but alot is taken away when you hear why he hates spidey. Venom is great ( I find him intresting, as eye candy and story wise) but he isn't like GG or Ock.

That's my opinion anyway take it or leave it lol

Great post!

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 10:45 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

I also feel like Raimi really ruined Spider-Man 3 and I was hoping he'd have nothing to do with the fourth. Unfortunately he's on board. Meaning I wont go see the fourth opening day, and will probably wait for it on DVD. I don't ever see how this franchise could be redeemed after such a crappy third installment. I honestly couldn't believe how bad it was.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 03:58 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magic_attack
Master of the Torrent

Originally posted by Doc Ock
Great post!

Yeah, not bad.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 04:15 AM
Magic_attack is currently offline Click here to Send Magic_attack a Private Message Find more posts by Magic_attack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by BlackC@
I also feel like Raimi really ruined Spider-Man 3 and I was hoping he'd have nothing to do with the fourth. Unfortunately he's on board. Meaning I wont go see the fourth opening day, and will probably wait for it on DVD. I don't ever see how this franchise could be redeemed after such a crappy third installment. I honestly couldn't believe how bad it was.

And also since when has a superhero movie had 3 Different villains and been good.........none

Last one that tried that idea was Batman and Robin before Spider-man 3.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 04:19 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Kazenji
And also since when has a superhero movie had 3 Different villains and been good.........none

Last one that tried that idea was Batman and Robin before Spider-man 3.
Scarecrow
Two Face
The Joker

The Dark Knight

Nuff' said.

PWNT

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 04:29 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Spider-man three was bad because the studio force Venom into the mix. I doubt Sony is going to interfere with four to the same degree considering the fan outcry.

I agree with Rami, Venom is the archetypal 90's character that only exists to be "hardcore". There is very little to justify his existence, all he is good for is a good fight scene... and writing a movie around a fight scene isn't very compelling, it needs to be the other way around.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 06:39 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Scarecrow
Two Face
The Joker

The Dark Knight

Nuff' said.

If you count the 10 seconds Scarecrow showed up in The Dark Knight, you might want to start counting Bonesaw in Spider-man... they both had the same amount of importance to the story and screen time. evil face

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 06:41 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree with Raimi as well. The entire concept of "Venom" is inherently weak imo. And yes he is liked because of his appearance and essentially his mirror of Spidey's powers...

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 07:28 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
harri
I may be a geek

well, in the movies, ock was the best, man he was so cool with the jacket no doubt about it. But in comics spidey doesn't really have a greatest foe, just people think ock, goblin and venom are the 3 perhaps archenemies of spidey.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 11:29 AM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
The entire concept of "Venom" is inherently weak imo. And yes he is liked because of his appearance and essentially his mirror of Spidey's powers...

Anything wrong with that?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 06:10 PM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 10:25 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
I agree with Raimi as well. The entire concept of "Venom" is inherently weak imo. And yes he is liked because of his appearance and essentially his mirror of Spidey's powers...

And his humor, as well as his psychotic nature and well also he's that force the villain Spidey is truly frightened of, unlike other villains Venom just wants Spider-man dead, unlike the others who want him out the way so they can for instance rob a federal reserve, he's just a force who keeps going and keeps coming back, although they did make the character a bit more interesting then he already is, with the whole symbiotes feelings for Spidey angle.

Eddie's motivation isn't exactly great but I imagine that's due to the script change close to the characters first appearance. (Btw just to clarify I'm talking about the comic version of Venom here.)

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Dec 24th, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 10:57 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, I guess if that's what people like about them that's their perogative. I feel that being a stalker is a bit boring. Granted, being a bank robber or a world dominator (Like Vulture or somthin'), is weak too though imo. I prefer more psycological villains personally.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2008 01:37 AM