KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » ALI vs Bruce Lee

ALI vs Bruce Lee
Started by: Sadako of Girth

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Depends on how kinky you want to get. shifty

I do not deny that Ali was one bad mo fo.

No, they don't travel greater distances. That measurement Lee did was from his arm at complete rest.

Lee was measured kicking faster than many of Ali's punches. You and I already had this discussion in great detail. We arrived that Lee was faster than Ali. We don't need to go through this again....do we? sad

Now, punching power, I've got to give it to Ali. Lee had absurdly powerful punches for his size, but I don't think they were greater than Ali's. Is there measurements for those somewhere on the internet? We could do a comparison and arrive at a conclusion. It's possible that I'm mistaken and Lee actually has a more powerful punch than Ali. I am quite certain that my upper body strength is greater than Ali's at his peak, but I probaby can't generate the force that Ali did because I'm not really trained. However, Lee had stronger upperbody strength than I do, can punch rediculously faster than I can, and trained like a madman day in and day out. To think that Lee could have a stronger punch than Ali wouldn't be rediculous at all.

I'm sure Bruceskywalker would agree with me as he does martial arts much more often than I do.

However, we can say with 100% certainty that

Lee is faster.
Ali has greater reach.
Ali is tried and true, harder to knock out.
Ali has more official fighting experience.
Lee has better street fighting experience.
Lee has a stronger upper body.
Lee can kick better.
Lee is better trained in MMA.
Lee has excellent grappling experience.
Ali has the weight advantage.
Ali has height advantage.

Do you agree?

We could edit this list, if you'd like...untl we reach a mutally agreed upon list.

My coworker, 2nd degree Korean Tai Kwon Do black belt (American Tai Kwon Do is rather watered down compared Korean schools), said that Lee's punching power would have to be stronger based on his ability to generate so much power with so little space. This would be his professional opinion, which counts more than mine...so I don't know who to give the stronger punch to. If we could get more professional opinions on this, we could arrive at a better conclusion.

Ali. Its simple. He speed and size ensured that he punched bags and opponents with more bag swinging, head spinning force and more regularity than Lee could generate without having to load up like Lee would to generate the same power.

I dont care how at rest he was, Ali's longer reach dictated that his shots travel greater distances due to basic physical mechanics.
Im not talking about running in wioth shots to cover the extra distance its about natural range.

Imagine this scenario.
Both Ali and Lee face each other 2 and a half feet from each other.
Their feet are stuck to the floor and they are rooted to the spot.

Who do you now favor to be able to reach their opponent's head/face...? Y'know what I mean...?

Your friend is talking about economy of movement.
But that wouldnt give Lee superhuman powers.
With all due respect to your buddy, Tai Kwon Do guys shouldnt be taken in matters of punching power, over common boxing knowledge. You put a boxer in a phonebooth with a Tai Kwon Do guy and keep it to punches, the boxer'll be the one walking out concious.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 07:56 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Tai Kwon Do does look great to see performed and I'm fairly certain a black-belt could kick my ass, but there's a reason why it isn't really incorporated into modern MMA styles.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 08:07 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

If huge advantages in size and power are nothing to do with the equation, imagine yourself fighting you, then a mini-me version of yourself.

Is there a difference in the outcome in your imagined scenarios...?

There should be.

Originally posted by Robtard
Tai Kwon Do does look great to see performed and I'm fairly certain a black-belt could kick my ass, but there's a reason why it isn't really incorporated into modern MMA styles.

Absolutely, Robtard.
Its not effective enough to be employed against successful fist-merchants.
(The best and most reliable are boxingpunches/elbows)

And if you were well trained in boxing, in given scenario, you'd be odds on to kick the guy's ass all up and down that street..

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Feb 27th, 2009 at 08:13 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 08:09 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Sounds logical, but I fight dirty, so a mini-me me would just be that much closer to gunny-sack.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 08:18 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

laughing out loud

A terrifying prospect right there...!

But as a boxer, you'd back off, allowing the shorter guy to run on to you, taking his nutsack hating ass out with low hooks and uppercuts...
Enabling you walk around for the rest of the day with a real warm sense of smugness. stick out tongue

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Feb 27th, 2009 at 08:24 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 08:20 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Ali. Its simple. He speed and size ensured that he punched bags and opponents with more bag swinging, head spinning force and more regularity than Lee could generate without having to load up like Lee would to generate the same power.

Did you see that video of Lee knocking around that 75lb bag?

I dont care how at rest he was, Ali's longer reach dictated that his shots travel greater distances due to basic physical mechanics.
Im not talking about running in wioth shots to cover the extra distance its about natural range.

Distance traveled by Lee's punch at rest is much great then Ali's. That's pretty simple. You can measure for yourself, if you doubt. Bring your arms up, step away from an object, similar to what you'd do in a boxing match, bring your arms up in a guarded position, and measure the actual distance between your starting punch position (tip of the fist) and the object you're hitting...you may want to record to see the distance treaveled because your fist may travel slightly left or right from starting position, actually increasing the distance traveled (It's not Euclidean geometry in this scenario because it is the distance the tip of the knuckle travels, not the linear distance between the tip of the knuckle and the target. This is significant because it measures actual distance required to travel due to the differences in how the punches are thrown.

Then do the same with your arms down at your side. You will have to record a video to actually measure where your knuckle goes as you am draw your hand back slightly and move in two seperate arcs of motion due to a pivot at the shoulder and a pivot at the elbow. Not only is the linear distance for the "at rest" punch greater than the boxing guarded position, but the difference between the actual distances traveled by the knuckle is greated at the side, too...adding to the point I made about actual distance traveled. It's even an even greater feat than you realize.

Imagine this scenario.
Both Ali and Lee face each other 2 and a half feet from each other.
Their feet are stuck to the floor and they are rooted to the spot.

Who do you now favor to be able to reach their opponent's head/face...? Y'know what I mean...?

The boxer, obviously. He is taller, and has a longer reach. But what is reality?

Let's make another one, just like yours except in Lee's favor, this time. wink

Imagine they both stand right in front of each other, right out of each other's pnching range. They can only use their feet. Who is more likely to get the first strike in on the other oppoenats head/face?

Now, here's reality. Lee kicks...a lot. He would never just plant his feet.

Your friend is talking about economy of movement.
But that wouldnt give Lee superhuman powers.

Lee was quite genius. I didn't think much of Jeet Kun Do until I started studying it, more and more. No doubt that he is quite a formidable fighter. I certainly wouldn't want to take a hit to the face from him when he was in his prime. Same goes for Ali. Now, I'm still of the opinion that Ali has the greater punching power, I was just adding the opinion of someone more qualified to judge punching power.

With all due respect to your buddy, Tai Kwon Do guys shouldnt be taken in matters of punching power, over common boxing knowledge. You put a boxer in a phonebooth with a Tai Kwon Do guy and keep it to punches, the boxer'll be the one walking out concious.

Personally, I don't give much credence to Tai Kwon Do. I think it's mostly lame and an antiquated fighting style. However, from what my coworker says, a fifth degree american black belt wouldn't even make orange in Korea. He said it is much more strenuous and the difference in fighting ability is night and day.

And if you were well trained in boxing, in given scenario, you'd be odds on to kick the guy's ass all up and down that street..

This, I agree with. The punches and kicks from a brown belt, that I sparred with, were weak sauce. True, that he was fast and it looked pretty...but it was worthless, imo.

Last edited by dadudemon on Feb 27th, 2009 at 09:09 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 09:07 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Ok. In the reversed scenario. Ali still because of the powerful, longer range of legs might have Lee coming up short if from like 3 and a half feet away, at closer range, Lee would be able to get one in, but he will have had to take Ali's Kick first..
If you meant Ali sized Lee and Lee sized Ali, then Lee crucifies Ali.

Yeah I know, Lee'd not be glued in reality it was merely a model for proving ranges.

By the time Lee is in kicking range, being that much smaller than Ali, he will be in Ali's punching range.

Jeet kun Do is formlessness. But incorporated into it are boxing strikes.
But no small guy no matter how hard he punches, could punch as hard as Ali at Ali's size.

And Bruce Lee's smaller frame/physicality would not be built to withstand Sledgehammer blows that would be all over him.

Im glad we are on the same page. But statement conflict has got me all confused:
You say you deferred to someone who knew more about punching power than yourself, yet you assessed brown belt level practitioners on his form as using worthless technique...
If you judged his shit to be less impacting than usual punch standards, then 'he might not have the answers' would have been my first suspicion.

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Feb 27th, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 10:06 PM
dadudemon

Ok. In the reversed scenario. Ali still because of the powerful, longer range of legs might have Lee coming up short if from like 3 and a half feet away, at closer range, Lee would be able to get one in, but he will have had to take Ali's Kick first..
If you meant Ali sized Lee and Lee sized Ali, then Lee crucifies Ali.

What the f**k?

You're joking, right?

Yeah I know, Lee'd not be glued in reality it was merely a model for proving ranges.

I know, I know. As long as you've got balls, I be bustin' 'em. big grin

By the time Lee is in kicking range, being that much smaller than Ali, he will be in Ali's punching range.

Proof? If you show me some numbers on this, I'll believe you and stop doubting that reach could be given to Ali. (Because Lee's kicking ability is quite legendary.) From what I would guess, Lee's kicking range should be longer than Ali's punching reach.

Jeet kun Do is formlessness. But incorporated into it are boxing strikes.
But no small guy no matter how hard he punches, could punch as hard as Ali at Ali's size.

I disagree. There are many, these days, at his size and similar weight that can punch much harder than Ali can. There are probably those Lee's size and weight that can punch just as hard as he can. To some martial artist out there, they might call me a complete idiot for even saying such a thing.

And Bruce Lee's smaller frame/physicality would not be built to withstand Sledgehammer blows that would be all over him.

[QUOTE=11623184]Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
[B]Im glad we are on the same page. But statement conflict has got me all confused:

We are...for the most part. We disagree on range and punching power for Bruce Lee, apparently.

You say you deferred to someone who knew more about punching power than yourself, yet you assessed brown belt level practitioners on his form as using worthless technique...

I'm quite the diverse "martial artist" myself. However, I am no where near a Korean level black belt, much less a second degree. If you had the chance to ask a question like this to a second degree black belt from a nice Korean Marital arts school, would you not do it?

If you judged his shit to be less impacting than usual punch standards, then 'he might not have the answers' would have been my first suspicion.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. My point was dual purposed.

1. To show how useless American Tai Kwon Do in a fight is.
2. To show how shitty American Tai Kwon Do users are.

This brown belt was actually a state tournament winner. no expression They fight to make hits and not knock out. They just want to score points to win, so they don't really practice.

The brown belt and this black belt are two different people. And, no, I haven't had "punching power" training, per se. Since this guy is really big into martial arts and MMA, I figured he could give me a better assessment on the Ali - Lee conversation we were having.

You don't know this person, so he cannot be presented as expert opinion into this discussion. I don't expect you to do that. I quite clearly, before mentioning his opinion on the subject, indicated that I couldn't see Lee having more punching power than Ali. I added his comments as an aside. If you'd like, I could do a video interview and have him present his credents for us. I just called him and left a voicemail. We'll see if he can get back to us.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 12:33 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

No that wont be neccessary, I believe you, but the point I was making was that basically its not effective.

As for the guard thing Ali was well know for a very low guard/keeping his hands down..and therefore travels the "From rested position" too. Only with longer reach/ therefore range.

a 74kg bag...? Wow. laughing out loud
See what Ali would does to ones full of sand.
Also look at what Foreman used to do to heavy sand bags..
Bruce wont be able to punch like that. And Ali to took it and beat Foreman.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 01:23 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Jeet Kune Do
Was that supposed to refute what I said?

Because the only grapple I have ever seen him do, was a front head-lock, and a poorly executed one at that.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 01:39 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

IF Ali had greater force in his punch, it is minimal. However, Ali IS taller, greater reach with his ARMS, weighs more (making it diffcult for Bruce Lee to employ is "knock the person the eff over" moves.)

I think you're a bit confused. MMA is not a fighting style, per se. Rather, it is a rule set of fighting.

It's possible. I really don't know.

This line of thought would be strawman. I did not say boxing was a joke in MMA, I said, "From what I understand, boxers get their arses handed to them at freestyle and MMA tournies."

Do you understand what is indicated there?

You probably mean kickboxing rather than just straight boxing.

This, I agree with.

Ali is great, but compared to current top notch boxer, he'd get as arse handed to him. In addition, MMA fighters these days would utterly destroy someone like Ali and Bruce.
1. I disagree, Ali is noticeably a harder striker.

2. ?

When did I say it was a fighting style?

3. 'Tis true, in any of his real fights, his only grapple was a poorly executed front-headlock.

4. You are arguing semantics, both convey the same point, that boxing sucks in MMA, which is not true.

5. No, it was even stated on this UFC TV thing I was watching of a guy preparing for the fight(can't remember who honestly), and he was saying that you need a good BOXING coach as well as kickboxing to really make your upper body strikes effective.

6. Yeah, the top MMA fighters are in a whole other ball-park.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 01:44 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Personally, I don't give much credence to Tai Kwon Do. I think it's mostly lame and an antiquated fighting style. However, from what my coworker says, a fifth degree american black belt wouldn't even make orange in Korea. He said it is much more strenuous and the difference in fighting ability is night and day.

Well most TKD stuff you see these days is all about throwing a few cool kicks. But the true masters, as you've pointed out can take care of themselves in a close-up H2H just fine.

I'd just like to point out that most rankings given out by dojo's in western societies don't mean anything at all. Many just go there treating it as exercise, play around for a few years and get a blackbelt.

Long ago, in oriental countries, there were no computers, internet, consoles aka technological entertainment. All the kids used to do were play sports and many of them trained in martial arts. They were poor and didn't really have anything else to do in their spare time and would train alot of the time. The training was also much harder than modern dojo's. There were no "lightly does it" methods. For example they would punch till their knuckles bled every day to harden them, use a open handed jab on boxing bags etc. You did whatever your master said and that was it, there was no complaining. Those young people would also sometimes fight on the streets and actually had REAL fighting experience.

Now, contrast it to today, most of the training is piss poor. Any slacker can get a blackbelt after a few years. They don't train nearly as much, nor will they ever have the will to subject themselves to the strenuous and painful training I talked about.

But the main thing is that the level of the Masters/Sifu/Sensei's have degraded alot and will continue to do so for the reasons I've pointed out above. Also, I would think people are more civilised these days, they actually don't have any real fighting experience outside of their sparing training. In a real fight, if you don't have experience, everything will go out the window. The adrenaline takes over and they just throw random punches that are anything but martial arts.

I guess an exception would be Muay Thai, but I wouldn't say because it is more effective but because they actually have real fights even during competition, unlike something like TKD where the are just allowed to do a few kicks (boriest thing to watch BTW).

So overall I would say the status of oriental MA at this point in time is a joke. But I do believe there are still a few real masters out there.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 02:04 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Was that supposed to refute what I said?

Because the only grapple I have ever seen him do, was a front head-lock, and a poorly executed one at that.

Most of Jeet Kune Do involves grapples.

I thought it was worth mentioning because he did incorporate Jeet Kune Do in some of his choreography. I know it's a stretch but still roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 02:30 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Most of Jeet Kune Do involves grapples.

I thought it was worth mentioning because he did incorporate Jeet Kune Do in some of his choreography. I know it's a stretch but still roll eyes (sarcastic)
Right.

And the only grapple he ever performed was a basic one, and he sucked at it.

Evidence points to him not being an efficient grappler.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 03:32 AM
dadudemon

1. I disagree, Ali is noticeably a harder striker.

The Ali fan side of me agrees and, in fact, I have stated twice now that I think Ali is the stronger striker. However, I don't think it's that much of a difference between the two. It isn't like the striking power difference between the average welterweight versus the average super heavyweight.

Now, the physics side of me screams the Bruce Lee was the stronger puncher. Just thinking about what Lee did with his punches...it makes me think that he was a much more powerful striker than Ali. If we were to do a force analysis of Bruce Lee's "power" punches, I'm quite sure the math would be in Lee's favor, relative to Ali.

However, in a real world fight, I have to give it to Ali. I just can't deal with the idea of tiny little Bruce being a stronger puncher. Ali was one of my childhood heroes. My TWD coworker thinks it's retarded that people even debate it (because he favors Lee's striking power, by a landslide). But, for me, you have someone who is bigger in all dimensions, that was one of the greatest boxers ever.

2. ?

When did I say it was a fighting style?

Glad you asked:

Lee is massively overrated, he is no MMA master, shit, an above-average MMA guy would beat his ass.

You heavily implied it here. An MMA master, hmm? Now, you could say, jiu jitu master, mui thai master, but there's no such thing as a MMA master because MMA is a rule set, not really a discipline. Now, many styles can be used in MMA, but MMA is not a style. Capisce?

On a second thought, I think the way you're wanting to treat it, wouldn't it really be called a hybrid style? (the combination of two or more techniques being used as one technique...)

it is a powerful MMA style,

And you directly said it here. You see, boxing would be a style used in MMA; it is not a powerful MMA style because it is actually a martial art style. Do you understand what I'm illustrating?

Had you not said the first thing, I would not have even cared about what you said here. Anyway, you DID say "it" was a style right here, even if you didn't want it to mean that.

However, I knew what you meant and was just being a smartass.

In fact, there are MMA "schools" that teach "MMA", but even in those environments, they are actually several styles taught in an MMA school.

3. 'Tis true, in any of his real fights, his only grapple was a poorly executed front-headlock.

k

4. You are arguing semantics, both convey the same point, that boxing sucks in MMA, which is not true.

No, my friend, you missed the original point and it was never semantics.

The original point is...

A plain jane boxer gets his ass kicked in MMA matches. In fact, I would submit to you that when "boxing" is used in MMA matches such as K-1 or UFC, it isn't really boxing. Rather, it is kick boxing. Throw a straight-up trained boxer who is better than average into a street fight against a fighter is is above average in the MMA world, and guess who wins? There, you will find my point.

5. No, it was even stated on this UFC TV thing I was watching of a guy preparing for the fight(can't remember who honestly), and he was saying that you need a good BOXING coach as well as kickboxing to really make your upper body strikes effective.

You're going off on a tangent, again. I don't not deny that boxing can be used in MMA fights. However, I do say that someone who only trained as a boxer would get his ass handed to him in an MMA tournie. That's it. no expression

I was also watching a video on a little known UFC fighter named Randy Couture and he said that "fights are won on the ground". Go figure. no expression

Each fighter has his or her strengths and weaknesses. For a while there, the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighters were the top dogs. Now, there has been a trend of more rounded fighters winning matches. I don't know what the future holds for MMA trends...but I would think the most well rounded will continue to be the best.

6. Yeah, the top MMA fighters are in a whole other ball-park.

yes

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 07:31 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yet successful MMA fighters employ boxing strikes. Go figure...

Actually Lee wasnt as heavy as a welter, even if he did throw shots hard for a little guy, he still gets all kinds of shit in his grill from Ali that he wouldnt be able to cope with.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 09:35 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

And Ali would be able to deal with constant kicking? The leg sweeps and what not?

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 09:49 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

At any time Lee crouches low enough to maximise his leg reach while attempting to sweep, he'll be stationary, in the non rules situ, Ali could just steam forward and punt Lee's head Baxter style...

And I dont think Sweeps for a little man like that are gonna work with a olympian athlete of Ali's dimensions/weight Ali.

And the kicks wouldn't be constant. As Lee wouldnt be able to compose himself to kick while being a battered would be soon dispatched. Kicks sacrifice balance and rapid attack. Itd be unwise to put all his eggs in one basket against Ali as he is coming in. For when he misses, he'll be totally f***ed.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 09:55 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

But if he connects, CRACK, broke knee, or dislocated, or whatever.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 11:12 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
But if he connects, CRACK, broke knee, or dislocated, or whatever.

Ali probably has more wallop in his fist than Lee has in a kick, and remember this is a fight, Ali isn't going to be just be hanging motionless so Lee can take his time to windup and deliver his strongest kick right to a vulnerable area.

Most logical outcome, Ali uses his time and again tested dancing about while punching to KO the much smaller man, who doesn't have an actual fight record and for all technical purposes, an untested chin.

Edit:Look at this fight, negro might as well be teflon, nothing sticks.

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 01:04 AM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 12:59 AM