KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Watchmen

Watchmen
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (50): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scoobless
sselboocS

I see your arrogance hasn't faded with your time away from the comic forums.

Not loving a thing isn't the same as not understanding it.

Then again it has been a while since I read it ... maybe I'm remembering it unfavourably.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 04:20 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ok, then let's examine the claim further.

Why is it overrated?

It was praised as revolutionary; it was and is.

It was praised as giving greater credibility to the medium of comics as serious literature; it did and has.

It was praised as being intelligent beyond that of any other comic book; it was and is. Both in subject matter, ideas, philosophy and execution.

So that means you have to name reasons why the "rating" is "over" what it deserves, thus overrating the book. You not liking it doesn't mean it's being overrated, since its rating isn't to do with the quality of the book, but the objective genius and impact of it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 04:28 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

This will be just another "blah" Alan Moore adaptaton. There is no possible way to capture the spirit of the original graphic novel. The CGI, I must admit, is f*cking eye candy. But we all remember the Star Wars prequel trilogy, right? CGI is no substitute for a timeless story.

I don't have very high expectations.

“Dreams shape the world."

Last edited by Impediment on Jul 19th, 2008 at 04:31 PM

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 04:28 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

They showed a clip of the glass castle scene and it's insulting.

Alan Moore said it best when he said that it was written and conceived to only ever be a novel, like ALL his work. You can sit there and appreciate everything in your own time, you can't do that with a movie.

I don't even think I READ Watchmen in two and a half hours the first time around, and I didn't get everything out of it on first reading. So Hell knows what the movie will be like.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 04:56 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Same here.

It took me about 3 days to fully read and absorb the entire graphic novel when I was around 15 or so. I re-read it again and again and I got something different from each reading.

I bet that the most focused upon character will be Rorschach. The same thing happened with the X-Men franchise focusing too much on Wolverine.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 05:01 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's the thing, people need a main character.

Watchmen doesn't have ONE.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 05:14 PM
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Did you guys not see V for Vendetta? I thought that was an admirable adaption of an Alan Moore work.

I'm not saying that the Watchmen film will be amazing or that it will fully live up to the graphic novel, but I think it will be pretty good. Of course, that is based solely on the trailer/information that we know now.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 02:24 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

As long as they don't get this hyped up as a big summer blockblaster that was one problem with V for vendetta.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 03:55 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Did you guys not see V for Vendetta? I thought that was an admirable adaption of an Alan Moore work.

I'm not saying that the Watchmen film will be amazing or that it will fully live up to the graphic novel, but I think it will be pretty good. Of course, that is based solely on the trailer/information that we know now.

Oh yeah, besides the fact that they completely changed the ending and parts of the story, yes, admirable.

If it's not good enough for Alan Moore, it's not good enough for me.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 07:40 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

If it's not good enough for Alan Moore, it's not good enough for me.

-AC

And not to mention Alan moore keeps refusing to have anything to do with film adaptations of his comics

don't know what his deal is should be happy someone is taking notice of his work.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 07:49 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

please explain what specifically about the original graphic novel cannot be adapted in to film. don't just rebuff with "if you don't know, you didn't get it." the only thing i see failing to translate is the deconstruction of silver age comics, which, frankly, is the element i found least interesting

comics are far easier to adapt in to film than novels, as both film and comics are inherently visual mediums. the framing, sequencing, script, and style of the movie are all basically pre-set. yes, they will have to cut some things. but that won't necessarily make it merely a good adaptation.

i for one am very excited. alan moore is a very good comics writer, but also an insufferable curmudgeon. the adaptation will do nothing but bring more readers to his work.

Last edited by manorastroman on Jul 20th, 2008 at 07:58 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 07:52 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by manorastroman

comics are far easier to adapt in to film than novels, as both film and comics are inherently visual mediums. the framing, sequencing, script, and style of the movie are all basically pre-set. yes, they will have to cut some things. but that won't necessarily make it merely a good adaptation.

I agree and also the the framing, sequencing side of the things is almost like how they do their story boards.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 07:59 AM
Impediment
Endless

please explain what specifically about the original graphic novel cannot be adapted in to film. don't just rebuff with "if you don't know, you didn't get it." the only thing i see failing to translate is the deconstruction of silver age comics, which, frankly, is the element i found least interesting.

Watchmen is such a complex story. It's symbolism and pacing is far too much for a 2 and a half hour movie. The premise of the story will be cut to pieces and recycled so much that the story will be loosely based, just like From Hell was.

Cut anything from the Watchmen graphic novel, and you don't have the Watchmen's true vision. Read the trade paperback and you'll see.

i for one am very excited. alan moore is a very good comics writer, but also an insufferable curmudgeon. the adaptation will do nothing but bring more readers to his work.

By bastardizing his greatest work? Moore has every right in the world to distance himself away from the movie adaptations of his work. Just look at what was done to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Probably one of the lamest movies ever made, IMO. From Hell? Not even close to the original. All they took was the flavor. V for Vendetta? They made V a superhero instead of the anarchist that Moore made him. This will be another typical Moore adaptation. I guarantee it. I also bet that Rorschach will be the "main" character, like Logan was in the X-Men trilogy.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 02:55 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Impediment
Watchmen is such a complex story. It's symbolism and pacing is far too much for a 2 and a half hour movie. The premise of the story will be cut to pieces and recycled so much that the story will be loosely based, just like From Hell was.
Yup cause you know 2 and half hour movies can not be complex. Heaven knows they can not maintain symbolism and pacing.

Movies are just a busted medium for any deep thinker to use for their works. stick out tongue

Personally the movie hasn't even come out yet, and people are already billing it as impossible for a movie. No offense but most of the elements in the Watchmen are very movie oriented.

Starting off with a Murder Mystery and slowly coming to a person who kills a bunch of people with deep seated philosophical meanings. That's not impossible to pull off in a movie.

Now I'm not saying this movie is going to be awesome, but I will wait, watch it then come to a conclusion about whether I liked it or not.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 03:18 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Newjak, no elements of Watchmen are movie orientated. Alan Moore has actually said that the book was written to be impossible to properly reproduce in terms of cinema, to show off what comics and novels could do that cinema could not do.

His whole point was that this could never be truly achieved by cinematic means.

It seems that 99% of people with an opinion about this movie are once who have no clue what they're on about. As evidenced by this:

Originally posted by Newjak
Starting off with a Murder Mystery and slowly coming to a person who kills a bunch of people with deep seated philosophical meanings. That's not impossible to pull off in a movie.

If that's all you interpret Watchmen as, then you'll enjoy the movie, since the book is clearly too far out of your range.

Originally posted by Kazenji
And not to mention Alan moore keeps refusing to have anything to do with film adaptations of his comics

don't know what his deal is should be happy someone is taking notice of his work.

What a completely ignorant statement. Why should he be happy people are doing things with his work that he doesn't want and never wanted?

He's an artist in the truest sense.

please explain what specifically about the original graphic novel cannot be adapted in to film. don't just rebuff with "if you don't know, you didn't get it." the only thing i see failing to translate is the deconstruction of silver age comics, which, frankly, is the element i found least interesting

You honestly think that Watchmen, with all its complexity and themes, is suitable to be crammed into a two and a half hour movie for the digestion of the general public? The same general public who'd prefer to pay to vote on Big Brother than freely vote in a political election?

If the answer is "Yes", then you're obviously not someone who the book was aimed at either.

If you feel that the general public can grasp the story, you're giving them too much credit, a point I'll address later.

The way the story portrays time, space and existence is not something that is suited to the general public, or even cinema.

The fact that Alan Moore wrote everything in that book to be relevant, and designed it so that you can get more out of it each time is factual proof that being dragged through it in TWO and a half hours is not sufficient.

Then factor in the audience, the people who will go into this without a clue what it's about, without a shred of interest in its themes, and you have a book to movie adaptation that simply shouldn't be happening.

And why do you suppose this work needs more readers? It's fine with the readers it has, so is Alan Moore. It hasn't suffered because regular Joe Blow nobodies haven't bought it and have, instead, gone to see Disaster Movie. For you to suggest these people need to be enlightened to Watchmen is to suggest that you really do not appreciate this novel at all.

The unspoken rule is; the general public get their T.R.L., they get their Big Brother, they get their teen movies and their Dane Cook. Watchmen then goes to the people who will love it and support it, most importantly, appreciate it. We then support the creators and the creators are happy. Those are the rules, however unspoken. Watchmen does not "need" more readers.

Who benefits from it? You know as well as I do that the reason Watchmen is obscure, outside of people who give a shit about the book, is because most people are either too thick or don't give a shit about the themes or expressions inside it. So then, why would those people picking it up, as a result of the movie bastardising it, benefit anybody? Why is that a goal you wish to be achieved?

I'll tell you why; because you don't get the book either, and the more people who don't get it, the less alone and less outcasted you feel. We both know that's true, so save the nonsense.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jul 20th, 2008 at 03:52 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 03:45 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Newjak, no elements of Watchmen are movie orientated. Alan Moore has actually said that the book was written to be impossible to properly reproduce in terms of cinema, to show off what comics and novels could do that cinema could not do.

His whole point was that this could never be truly achieved by cinematic means.

It seems that 99% of people with an opinion about this movie are once who have no clue what they're on about. As evidenced by this:

If that's all you interpret Watchmen as, then you'll enjoy the movie, since the book is clearly too far out of your range.

What a completely ignorant statement. Why should he be happy people are doing things with his work that he doesn't want and never wanted?

He's an artist in the truest sense.

You honestly think that Watchmen, with all its complexity and themes, is suitable to be crammed into a two and a half hour movie for the digestion of the general public? The same general public who'd prefer to pay to vote on Big Brother than freely vote in a political election?

If the answer is "Yes", then you're obviously not someone who the book was aimed at either.

If you feel that the general public can grasp the story, you're giving them too much credit, a point I'll address later.

The way the story portrays time, space and existence is not something that is suited to the general public, or even cinema.

The fact that Alan Moore wrote everything in that book to be relevant, and designed it so that you can get more out of it each time is factual proof that being dragged through it in TWO and a half hours is not sufficient.

Then factor in the audience, the people who will go into this without a clue what it's about, without a shred of interest in its themes, and you have a book to movie adaptation that simply shouldn't be happening.

And why do you suppose this work needs more readers? It's fine with the readers it has, so is Alan Moore. It hasn't suffered because regular Joe Blow nobodies haven't bought it and have, instead, gone to see Disaster Movie. For you to suggest these people need to be enlightened to Watchmen is to suggest that you really do not appreciate this novel at all.

The unspoken rule is; the general public get their T.R.L., they get their Big Brother, they get their teen movies and their Dane Cook. Watchmen then goes to the people who will love it and support it, most importantly, appreciate it. We then support the creators and the creators are happy. Those are the rules, however unspoken. Watchmen does not "need" more readers.

Who benefits from it? You know as well as I do that the reason Watchmen is obscure, outside of people who give a shit about the book, is because most people are either too thick or don't give a shit about the themes or expressions inside it. So then, why would those people picking it up, as a result of the movie bastardising it, benefit anybody? Why is that a goal you wish to be achieved?

I'll tell you why; because you don't get the book either, and the more people who don't get it, the less alone and less outcasted you feel. We both know that's true, so save the nonsense.

-AC
Once again your brilliance astounds me AC. Why didn't I see it before this could never be made into a Movie. Alan Moore made it impossible to do so, that means no one could possibly pull it off.

Silly me smile

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 03:59 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nobody can pull it off.

If by "Pull it off" you mean make it and put it out into the world, the anybody can pull anything off.

This movie simply will not live up the the book, it will not be faithful, it will not do it justice. The visuals will not be on par, nothing will, but that's what I expect. That's why you'll be one of the people who says it's great because you; A) Want to piss real fans off, and B) Need a movie to cram everything together for you, since the book was obviously too much.

If this movie is even slightly better than a complete failure, or perhaps even enjoyable at best, people like you will say "See? It can be made into a good movie.". Therein you miss the point real fans are making;

The point that a "good movie" is an eternity away from what Watchmen deserves, and what it deserves is to be left as it was intended, with the people it was intended to be with. That is why you fail in this topic, because you fail to understand that.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jul 20th, 2008 at 04:06 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:03 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Nobody can pull it off.

This movie simply will not live up the the book, it will not be faithful, it will not do it justice. The visuals will not be on par, nothing will, but that's what I expect. That's why you'll be one of the people who says it's great because you; A) Want to piss real fans off, and B) Need a movie to cram everything together for you, since the book was obviously too much.

If this movie is even slightly better than a complete failure, or perhaps even enjoyable at best, people like you will say "See? It can be made into a good movie.". Therein you miss the point real fans are making;

The point that a "good movie" is an eternity away from what Watchmen deserves, and what it deserves is to be left as it was intended, with the people it was intended to be with. That is why you fail in this topic, because you fail to understand that.

-AC
Yup you caught me because I choose not to judge the movie before I see it, I'm not a true fan. smile

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:13 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Even my posts are obviously too hard for you to grasp, since that wasn't even what I was doing, really.

I don't know if the movie will be shit or enjoyable at best, but obviously you ignored that cos you're an idiot, and you don't actually understand my point, which was this, for the last time:

That's my point.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:20 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Even my posts are obviously too hard for you to grasp, since that wasn't even what I was doing, really.

I don't know if the movie will be shit or enjoyable at best, but obviously you ignored that cos you're an idiot, and you don't actually understand my point, which was this, for the last time:

That's my point.

-AC
I understood your point. The fact it is stupid is why I chose ignore it. smile

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:22 PM