KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » The Dark Knight vs Watchmen

Which is the better film?
This poll is closed.
The Dark Knight 19 79.17%
Watchmen 5 20.83%
Total: 24 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Dark Knight vs Watchmen
Started by: Darth Martin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

While id agree that Dark Knight is overrated in terms of how good a comic book movie it is, its still a brilliant movie.

Watchmen was good, imo, but not on the level of TDK by any means...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 10:48 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

I enjoyed Watchmen's fight scenes a whole lot more than The Dark Knight.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 04:59 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

-

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Jul 25th, 2009 at 06:24 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 06:22 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Watchmen was just another comic book movie.

It was really fun, but it wasn't an out-of-this-world cinematic accomplishment. The Dark Knight was.

Watchmen being as unfaithful as it was is precisely a main reason why it didn't work.

How was the Dark Knight such an outstanding accomplishment? Batman is a very good movie but imo it is overrated.

I thought, Watchmen worked very well. I was always a huge fan of the comic book and i think the movie actually worked out better in some ways.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 06:24 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
How was the Dark Knight such an outstanding accomplishment? Batman is a very good movie but imo it is overrated.

I thought, Watchmen worked very well. I was always a huge fan of the comic book and i think the movie actually worked out better in some ways.

How can you say it worked very well, when the very release of it proves otherwise?

It CLEARLY doesn't work well as a movie because it's taking a theatrical release, a director's cut and two additional DVD side stories to tell the bloody thing.

It wasn't meant as a movie and it doesn't work.

It's a movie with characters from Watchmen in it, loosely and carelessly telling bits and pieces of the story. It's not a Watchmen movie.

None of Alan Moore's movies work without being gimped, this is fact.

The Dark Knight was a Batman movie. It wasn't meant to adhere to any set source, it was just inspired by the source. It felt like a Batman movie, not just "Oh, Batman's in it.".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 07:15 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Well it worked for me. Might not have worked for you. I felt it was a great film of the genre and I base it soley on that. I don't try and match it up with the book.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 09:35 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

I liked the Watchmen better. I like the movies ending better than the books. I also felt that TDK was purely a Joker movie and concentrated way to much on him. Ledger played a great Joker, but in my opinion, the Jokers probably the easiest character to portray, so maybe all the kudos he gets are unwarranted.

By Stoic

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 11:40 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Well it worked for me. Might not have worked for you. I felt it was a great film of the genre and I base it soley on that. I don't try and match it up with the book.

It's not up to you to decide if it works, it clearly didn't. You liking it doesn't change the fact that it's a sucky adaptation.

You don't try to compare it to the book?

1) You can't. You've never read the book.

2) Why not? It's a Watchmen adaptation. If it wasn't to be compared, it wouldn't exist.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 01:50 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

I can't believe this is even a discussion. We're in the comic book MOVIE forum. The question is which MOVIE was better. Not which is a better adaptation or which novel was better. Put that aside and look at JUST the movie. If you can't then, oh well. TDK is wayyyyy better than Watchmen. I have never read the Watchmen novel, so I know it only as a movie(which is why I comment here, and not in the Comic Book thread), and as a movie is was OK at best. The best part of the movie was the opening montage, I LOVED THAT WHOLE scene. After that the movie was just OK. TDK had me from beginning to end. Ledger did a very good job becoming a different person. Not just Method Acting like everyone, except Rorschach, did in Watchmen.

Why bring up the fact that the actor who played a role in a movie died in real life, that's just done to get a rise out of people; it's not necessary. Stay within the movie.

P.E.A.C.E.

"Put him in a straightjacket, the man's sick!"

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 01:03 AM
SpaceMonkey is currently offline Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Re: The Dark Knight vs Watchmen

Here is where you can post your opinions on this topic, ...

What do you think?

Well it worked for me.

It's not up to you to decide if it works, ...

-AC

So now, on forums where we are invited to share our opinions, we are not allowed to decide what we like?

confused

When did the Nazi Forum Police take over?

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 09:43 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

That's AC for you.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 02:29 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

How about not cutting off my quote and warping it out of context, you cretin?

Would that work for you?

"It's not up to you to decide if it works, it clearly didn't. You liking it doesn't change the fact that it's a sucky adaptation.".

I wasn't saying you can't enjoy the movie, or feel it worked as a movie. It didn't work as an adaptation, and everything proves this. The amount of add ons that exist have proven it doesn't work.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 03:44 PM
Darth Martin

I wasn't saying you can't enjoy the movie, or feel it worked as a movie.
This is my point. For me, it did work as a film. I felt it was great.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 05:32 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

"It's not up to you to decide if it works, it clearly didn't. ...
I wasn't saying you can't enjoy the movie, or feel it worked as a movie.

-AC

Ah, okay - now we just revert to calling names? How mature.

All hail AC - The only one allowed to decide what "works" and what doesn't. Apparently.

Why so aggressive? Why so full of hate?

Your quote was not taken out of context - just abbreviated. Nowhere did I change the meaning of your statements. Taken in full, if you prefer:

You state, as you repeated "It's not up to you to decide if it works, it clearly didn't." Then you state "I wasn't saying you can't enjoy the movie, or feel it worked as a movie."

That is EXACTLY what you are saying. Now, maybe you didn't mean to contradict yourself that way - but, like it was explained to Alice in Wonderland - "Saying what you mean and meaning what you say is not the same thing, now is it?"

Unfortunately, it comes across quite draconian and totalitarian, sort of implying (and not very subtly) that WE are not allowed to have an opinion on what sucks and what doesn't - but YOU do.

I used to enjoy your posts, you seemed, reasonable, fair and willing to allow other people their opinions without reverting to insults - but for some reason you have now decided you are the only one allowed to decide what works and what "clearly didn't"...

Quite clearly you are extremely passionate about TDK and have appointed yourself a (VERY) vigorous defender of it's virtue and value. (Damn - notice my awesome allitteration there? V ain't got nothing on me! stick out tongue ) But would it not be more appropriate to let the film speak for itself, and let the fans make up their own minds about what they like and what they don't - without being browbeaten about it?

Maybe you just typed too hastily? Too passionately? Maybe you didn't notice you contradicting yourself? However, it is difficult for me to guess what you MEANT to say - I can only respond to what you actually DID say.

I much preferred the old AC...

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 06:01 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I can't believe this is even a discussion. We're in the comic book MOVIE forum. The question is which MOVIE was better. Not which is a better adaptation or which novel was better. Put that aside and look at JUST the movie. If you can't then, oh well. TDK is wayyyyy better than Watchmen. I have never read the Watchmen novel, so I know it only as a movie(which is why I comment here, and not in the Comic Book thread), and as a movie is was OK at best. The best part of the movie was the opening montage, I LOVED THAT WHOLE scene. After that the movie was just OK. TDK had me from beginning to end. Ledger did a very good job becoming a different person. Not just Method Acting like everyone, except Rorschach, did in Watchmen.

Why bring up the fact that the actor who played a role in a movie died in real life, that's just done to get a rise out of people; it's not necessary. Stay within the movie.

P.E.A.C.E.

QFT

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 06:48 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

I think a lot of people here are afraid to like Watchmen (the film). They think that they shouldn't because Alan Moore didn't want it made, etc. But that said, I'm not afraid to show my love for the movie; it's still my favorite film of 2009 thus far and I thought it was (overall) great.

With that said, I do like The Dark Knight better/think it's a better film. All I'm saying is that Watchmen was also very good. Decent adaptation, quality film imo.

I thought most of the casting was perfect (Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl, JEH as Rorschach, and Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan). I've said it before but the Dr. Manhattan scenes on Mars were fantastic imo and I thought his origin sequence worked perfectly with Philip Glass's music.

Anyway, I think a lot of you are being a little harsh on the movie. It's not as rich or as layered as the graphic novel, but as a "companion piece," if you will, to the graphic novel I thought it was great.

But it didn't blow me away like The Dark Knight. TDK was the last film I've seen in theaters that literally exceeded every expectation and left me in awe of how awesome it was.

If I had to give ratings: Watchmen - 8.5/10, The Dark Knight - 9.5/10

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jul 28th, 2009 04:12 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
it's still my favorite film of 2009 thus far and I thought it was (overall) great.

I've said it before but the Dr. Manhattan scenes on Mars were fantastic imo and I thought his origin sequence worked perfectly with Philip Glass's music.
I agree with everything here. Manhattan on Mars was riveting! Yes, Watchmen is the best film I've seen so far this year. Even better than Star Trek.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2009 04:25 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Ah, okay - now we just revert to calling names? How mature.

All hail AC - The only one allowed to decide what "works" and what doesn't. Apparently.

Why so aggressive? Why so full of hate?

Your quote was not taken out of context - just abbreviated. Nowhere did I change the meaning of your statements. Taken in full, if you prefer:

You state, as you repeated "It's not up to you to decide if it works, it clearly didn't." Then you state "I wasn't saying you can't enjoy the movie, or feel it worked as a movie."

That is EXACTLY what you are saying. Now, maybe you didn't mean to contradict yourself that way - but, like it was explained to Alice in Wonderland - "Saying what you mean and meaning what you say is not the same thing, now is it?"

Unfortunately, it comes across quite draconian and totalitarian, sort of implying (and not very subtly) that WE are not allowed to have an opinion on what sucks and what doesn't - but YOU do.

I used to enjoy your posts, you seemed, reasonable, fair and willing to allow other people their opinions without reverting to insults - but for some reason you have now decided you are the only one allowed to decide what works and what "clearly didn't"...

Quite clearly you are extremely passionate about TDK and have appointed yourself a (VERY) vigorous defender of it's virtue and value. (Damn - notice my awesome allitteration there? V ain't got nothing on me! stick out tongue ) But would it not be more appropriate to let the film speak for itself, and let the fans make up their own minds about what they like and what they don't - without being browbeaten about it?

Maybe you just typed too hastily? Too passionately? Maybe you didn't notice you contradicting yourself? However, it is difficult for me to guess what you MEANT to say - I can only respond to what you actually DID say.

I much preferred the old AC...

Bravo, just a huge bravo. You have me figured out. You've nailed the tail to the donkey, cracked the pinata and hit the bullseye. Everything you said was definitely not pretentious and perfectly summed up precisely who I am and what I do.

Now, without the sarcasm, I'll explain it to you again;

Watchmen did not work as an adaptation. That is a fact. On any level that is to be considered good, it didn't work. Fine, lots of movies do not work as adaptations from a direct source.

This does not mean it isn't a well done movie you can enjoy.

I am not expressing that nobody is allowed an opinion or that I am the only one that is right, or that nobody else can speak. Stop being so painfully melodramatic. The fact is that it didn't work as an adaptation. Nothing about me has changed, you're just one of the many people who loved to see me tear apart other people, then turned on me when their debates were in pieces with me standing over them. It's cool, it happens, it's just dumb.

It's funny, you accuse me of things I haven't done, but then you suggest how I go about my ways. I am not as rabidly defensive of The Dark Knight as you claim, I'm just expressing my opinion, and my opinion on your opinion. That's allowed. No need to over-exaggerate my actions to make your own over-reacting feel justified.

There is no old AC. Fact.

With that said, I do like The Dark Knight better/think it's a better film. All I'm saying is that Watchmen was also very good. Decent adaptation, quality film imo.

Decent meaning what?

This is what I have issue with. When you spend millions of dollars on making a movie three hours long, and you still happen to leave out multiple massive chunks of an important story, as well as STUPIDLY giving characters the WRONG dialogue, I consider that a poor adaptation.

What's the basis for it being decent? It not ENTIRELY sucking as a movie you can sit and watch if you don't compare it to the book?

I thought most of the casting was perfect (Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl, JEH as Rorschach, and Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan). I've said it before but the Dr. Manhattan scenes on Mars were fantastic imo and I thought his origin sequence worked perfectly with Philip Glass's music.

The Dr. Manhattan Mars scenes were heavily cut back, they were way less poetic and meaningful to the story than the ones in the book.

Anyway, I think a lot of you are being a little harsh on the movie. It's not as rich or as layered as the graphic novel, but as a "companion piece," if you will, to the graphic novel I thought it was great.

This is what I have issue with too.

"It's good as a companion piece.", "It's not as rich, but..." but what? If you have to gimp the compliment, you're starting off on a losing foot. The book doesn't need a companion piece. Especially a companion piece like that. It's fine as it is. The only people who needed this movie were those too lazy to read it, or people who need things to be in motion; Darth Martin being a prime example. He loves Watchmen so much because he feels he's part of the group that lauded it in the first place, now.

I guarantee you he will say he didn't find the book as good, simply because he wishes to defend the movie, or he needed the movie. People somehow feel things are automatically better if they're not just still pictures.

It's like when Doug Stanhope criticised people for saying Sarah Palin is hot...for a politician. What's the measuring stick there? That she's hotter than John McCain? She's not hot.

"Watchmen was good compared to most comic book movies.". Most are shit.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 04:11 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Bravo, just a huge bravo. You have me figured out. You've nailed the tail to the donkey, cracked the pinata and hit the bullseye. Everything you said was definitely not pretentious and perfectly summed up precisely who I am and what I do.

Thank you. big grin

Now, without the sarcasm, I'll explain it to you again;

Watchmen did not work as an adaptation.

For you.

That is a fact.

No, that is an opinion. YOUR opinion. But as I pointed out earlier, you seem to suffer from the delusion that your opinion IS fact...

On any level that is to be considered good, it didn't work.

For you.

Fine, lots of movies do not work as adaptations from a direct source.

This does not mean it isn't a well done movie you can enjoy.

Gee whizz golly gosh - thank you, oh THANK YOU... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Why, then, did you attack me when I stated that I DID enjoy it?

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri I am not expressing that nobody is allowed an opinion or that I am the only one that is right, or that nobody else can speak. Stop being so painfully melodramatic.

Then why state "It's not up to you to decide if it works..." ? Why do you keep contradicting yourself?

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri The fact is that it didn't work as an adaptation.

For YOU. Making it an opinion - YOUR opinion.

Nothing about me has changed,

Maybe it's time?

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri you're just one of the many people who loved to see me tear apart other people, then turned on me when their debates were in pieces with me standing over them.

Actually, no - I liked how, for instance in the Religion forum, you would post links to sites arguing for and against Creationism - this is where I developed the opinion that you were balanced.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri It's cool, it happens, it's just dumb.

It's funny, you accuse me of things I haven't done, but then you suggest how I go about my ways. I am not as rabidly defensive of The Dark Knight as you claim, I'm just expressing my opinion, and my opinion on your opinion. That's allowed. No need to over-exaggerate my actions to make your own over-reacting feel justified.

Then why, when I wish to do the same, namely express my opinion, do you revert to abuse and sixth-grade name calling?

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri There is no old AC. Fact.

Maybe there should be a new one?

I'm a little bit bored with this now - and tired of having to point out to you why and how you seem unable to distinguish between fact and opinion... So if you don't mind, and in fact, even if you do - I am going to leave this here now and move on.

Please feel free to respond as much or as little as you like - but I think I'm not the only one bored with this by now. Have a great day, and please try to remember that the purpose of an open forum - where people are invited to 'post their opinions' by the creator of the discussion - is to ENCOURAGE people to share their opinions - therefore it seems more than a little small-minded to become abusive and aggressive and hurl insults about when people do exactly that...

Last edited by Dreampanther on Jul 29th, 2009 at 02:22 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 02:17 PM
xJLxKing

Watchmen was a great movie!!! The movie is very confusing and doesn't give too much information which leaves people who read the novel saying, "where is the rest?" But if you haven't read the novel and just watch it, then it's pretty good. You get a decent movie that explains a lot, and it doesn't leave to much questions.

I never read the novel, but I still loved the movie. It explained what it had to. However, my teacher who read the novel and then proceed to watch the movie was pissed off. He kept saying they are leaving things out. It is just like the Green Lantern: FF. That's now how the story is, and it leaves a lot of question and confusion among comic book reader. Like how did the guardians get defeat by Sinestro? Why didn't the GL ring lose to yellow if there was an imperfection? Though, my father actually liked it. Why? he didn't read the comic itself.

TDK, however was just completely better. Even if you are a comic book fan, or just have common knowledge of Batman you will still understand the story. It draws you in; especially the park about the part how you live long enough to see yourself as a villain.

All in all, I liked TDK more.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 04:11 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote