KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Who is to blame for Anakin's fall

Who is to blame for Anakin's fall
Started by: ares834

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Yeah, Lucas works in metaphors. I like Mustafar, but sometimes less is more. My idea of the temple is not the same that was used in the Star Wars films, which were more animated than real. I admit, I would like to have seen the end battle take place at the temple, but one that was a real life set piece. Take for example this comparison. (please log in to view the image)

While I think Mustafar looks awesome, I would totally prefer the dark atmospheric look that was presented in ESB. I thought if they had built a set piece like this, rigged it with smoke, fire, dark, eeriness, it would have done more justice than the colorful Mustafar, as beautiful as Mustafar looked, and as goreous as it was, certain parts like Anakin riding the droid and them battling on the platform looked horribly unfinished. Again, that's not say I hated it, because bottom line is, I still liked it. But I would have totally preferred the eerie look during the end duel, especially at a place which signifies what Anakin and the Emperor are trying to destroy, and what Yoda and Obi-Wan are trying to save in metaphorical terms.

Attachment: side by side.jpg
This has been downloaded 60 time(s).

I like George.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 07:08 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Hey pal, before you come down on me, I've done nothing but support Lucas on here for 6 years, and if you bothered to read anything I've written, I love the PT!

For once on here, I come out and say the things I thought could be particularly different, and now everyone said Lucas gets it right. Anytime I said Lucas got something right, everybody said he got it wrong. This was the first time in 6 years I've openly admitted to something that didn't make sense to me, but I also stated that I liked it nonetheless.

I don't think you've seen all the stuff I've written on here year after year supporting GL. I've been the first one to come on here and say they are his movies, and that he did everything he could to do the best job possible, and I love them the way they are.

I was simply offering alternatives visions, and ways that to me would have been more believable. That's about it.

I don't believe his movies are stupid, nor did I ever say they were.
I'm sure there's a few certain members on here who can back me up and say that I'm anything but a Lucas basher. Those members know who they are, and I would love it if they came forward and back me up on that.

I'll back up this post 100%. And roughrider get over yourself with the "Jesus some people cannot let things go" comment. SMX has never been that kind of poster. He's always respectful of other peoples posts which obviously you arent.

And SMX Im not a fan of EU, you know that, but seriously thats one book you've GOT to read. It's excellent.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 12:33 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

hi JP love

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 01:19 PM
Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

steverules_2 is online now!

My t!ts are still better

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 02:41 PM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

mines bigger..hehe

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 03:37 PM
Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Hey pal, before you come down on me, I've done nothing but support Lucas on here for 6 years, and if you bothered to read anything I've written, I love the PT!

For once on here, I come out and say the things I thought could be particularly different, and now everyone said Lucas gets it right. Anytime I said Lucas got something right, everybody said he got it wrong. This was the first time in 6 years I've openly admitted to something that didn't make sense to me, but I also stated that I liked it nonetheless.

I don't think you've seen all the stuff I've written on here year after year supporting GL. I've been the first one to come on here and say they are his movies, and that he did everything he could to do the best job possible, and I love them the way they are.

I was simply offering alternatives visions, and ways that to me would have been more believable. That's about it.

I don't believe his movies are stupid, nor did I ever say they were.
I'm sure there's a few certain members on here who can back me up and say that I'm anything but a Lucas basher. Those members know who they are, and I would love it if they came forward and back me up on that.

I was addressing Lucas bashers in general.

I disagree with your choice of locations for the duel, because it matters as much to the subtext of the story. The clash between Yoda & Palpatine was just as significant for it's location - the senate chamber. The seat of power in the galaxy. Palpatine force-hurling senate seats at Yoda shows how whole worlds are within his grasp now. And the winner will control the fate of all the Republic systems.

I recognize you're not quite like the others with your avatar & signature. I just don't think Lucas went through this when he made the sequels in the OT - the worse griping he got from fans were that those Ewoks were kind of annoying. Now, I've been listening to fans relentlessly second guess him ever since the Special Editions came out. Part of the reason I don't spend much time here.
I think answers to questions can be found in the films, if you think long enough about it.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 04:01 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Well I like that approach alot better. Thank you.

And I understand entirely what you're saying about metaphorical storytelling in terms of Mustafar. I does reflect Anakin's torment as you stated, and yes, it is 100 percent cool storytelling.

I know Anakin was sent their as a means of performing task for the Emperor to prove his loyalties. It's here that I just think things got slightly rushed a bit. While I think ROTS is by far one of the best Star Wars films made, I just didn't like Grievous as a character, and the whole Utapau boga riding stuff kind of looked bad.

In Episode II, I immensely enjoyed Obi-Wan's storyline on Kaminio. In Episode III, I just didn't care much for Utapau, but everything else in my opinion was excellent, even Mustafar. I just thought it could have more signigance other than General Grievous introducing it to us with the voice acting done by Mathew Wood, probably my least favorite thing about the prequels, other than Jar Jar.

I like George.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 05:41 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Originally posted by Jack Daniels
mines bigger..hehe

Bigger isn't always better stick out tongue And this is a perfect example of that

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 09:36 PM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

eek! Hiya Jack! and for the record I dont care for either of those avs. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 10:47 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Yeah, Lucas works in metaphors. I like Mustafar, but sometimes less is more. My idea of the temple is not the same that was used in the Star Wars films, which were more animated than real. I admit, I would like to have seen the end battle take place at the temple, but one that was a real life set piece. Take for example this comparison. (please log in to view the image)

While I think Mustafar looks awesome, I would totally prefer the dark atmospheric look that was presented in ESB. I thought if they had built a set piece like this, rigged it with smoke, fire, dark, eeriness, it would have done more justice than the colorful Mustafar, as beautiful as Mustafar looked, and as goreous as it was, certain parts like Anakin riding the droid and them battling on the platform looked horribly unfinished. Again, that's not say I hated it, because bottom line is, I still liked it. But I would have totally preferred the eerie look during the end duel, especially at a place which signifies what Anakin and the Emperor are trying to destroy, and what Yoda and Obi-Wan are trying to save in metaphorical terms.

You know if you're going to compare, then it should be The Empire Strikes Back & Attack Of The Clones. Both are the middle parts of the trilogies, and both have lightsabers duels that take place in dark, gloomy environments. Remember the Anakin-Dooku duel that was virtually in the dark? We'd see their faces illuminated by lightsabers clashes. Murkiness works for the story in both cases - Luke thinks he's straight up fighting Darth Vader, not realizing the game Vader is playing with him and what he's going to spring on him. In AOTC, Dooku finally reveals himself to be a Sith, and the Jedi trio (Anakin, Obi Wan & Yoda) are left feeling unbalanced about what's happening in the galaxy around them. Intrigue and unanswered questions are major parts of those conflicts. The choice of the environment reflects that.

The parallel is consistent in the other films. The duels in ANH and TPM - the first films in the two series - take place in brightly lit machine environments, and end in death (and are witnessed by bystanders.) While the climatic duels in ROTJ and ROTS have a finality to them; the galaxy will change depending on who wins, and who walks away.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 06:01 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Originally posted by roughrider
Remember the Anakin-Dooku duel that was virtually in the dark? We'd see their faces illuminated by lightsabers clashes. Murkiness works for the story in both cases

Bingo! And that is the part I loved most about AOTC. I thought it looked awesome. Sparks flying around on the floor, dark lighting, some smoke to go along with it. Very atmospheric and extremely well done, unfortunately it only last for about 15 seconds, but I really liked the entire presentation of that scene.

I like George.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 06:56 AM
steverules_2

Originally posted by ~JP~
eek! Hiya Jack! and for the record I dont care for either of those avs. stick out tongue

B!tch

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 05:39 PM
~JP~
yeah baby

Aaaaaaaaaand I rest my case.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 05:44 PM
steverules_2

What case was that?

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 05:59 PM
queeq
Chaos

I like Steve's boobs best.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 06:51 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

While I was going to address some of your points that I disagree with...it seems that that has really been done already stick out tongue And I will offer a second backup of SMX's comment.

However...I must say...General Grievous. Spectacular character wink

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Jan 18th, 2010 05:20 PM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Originally posted by queeq
I like Steve's boobs best.

You have good taste in breasts

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Jan 18th, 2010 05:47 PM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Originally posted by General G
While I was going to address some of your points that I disagree with...it seems that that has really been done already stick out tongue And I will offer a second backup of SMX's comment.

However...I must say...General Grievous. Spectacular character wink

I love that Grievous can wield 4 lightsabers at once. I love his design and look. Didn't quite like the voice over and coughing. erm I think he's a character I would have liked to have known a little more though.

I thought during the making of Episode III, the producer said we were going to learn about his origins. I'm sure it's covered in a book somewhere.

I like George.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2010 06:56 PM
General G
Canadian.

I love that Grievous can wield 4 lightsabers at once. I love his design and look. Didn't quite like the voice over and coughing. erm I think he's a character I would have liked to have known a little more though.

I thought during the making of Episode III, the producer said we were going to learn about his origins. I'm sure it's covered in a book somewhere.

Ah, alright that's a shame, but to each his (err...their? Hey JP smile ) own I guess, right? I personally really liked his voice...although I could have easily lived without the cough. I don't think it was needed, especially because its origins weren't even mentioned in the movie. He just looks like he has a cold or has allergies or something.

The book makes him seem much cooler and I think it even alludes to the origin of his cough. It still doesn't go into his history as a character though. I know there is a book or comic about his origins as a military leader on his home planet, but can't recall what it was called :s

I do, however, agree that we should have been able to learn more about him through the movie, would have been much better, I think stick out tongue

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Jan 18th, 2010 07:06 PM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by queeq
We never hear from them again...

Same reason we didn't hear as much of Jar Jar. And Jake Lloyd.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2010 01:12 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote