KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » 2010 The Year DVD Dies?

Blur-Ray
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yep! Pack your bags DVD it's ending. 4 18.18%
Nah! Nothing will change. 14 63.64%
Both will have good sales. 3 13.64%
Pffft! Walmart sells cheap dvd players for $30 and DVD for $5. 1 4.55%
Total: 22 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

2010 The Year DVD Dies?
Started by: WickedDynamite

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

I agree with you there but holographic disks wont be out till 2020

Last edited by coolmovies on Dec 29th, 2009 at 05:05 PM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2009 05:02 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

messed up on a sentence on that post.

i meant to write "if anything media will still be on a cd/dvd type of disc."

And that includes "holographic discs" that'll be out in 2020. So the dvd format maybe dead by then but the physical CD will still be there. Until every thing is just a digital stream.

But if anything ever does takes over the disc it'll be what Netflix is doing.

i also forsee a single (small) unit seamlessly merging tv, radio, the internet, phone, home, and auto with the device becoming the standard by 2020.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 29th, 2009 07:10 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

we will have to wait and see ..

Old Post Dec 29th, 2009 08:32 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
He's probably talking in dollars. 16 pounds would be around 25 dollars, I think.

Hope so, or he has been robbed.

I got a cheap blu ray, the director's cut of Dark City for only £7, and the DVD in the same shop was £15...

Old Post Dec 30th, 2009 11:12 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthLazious
Dark Lord of the KMC

DVD's have sooo many good years ahead. VHS had 30 years before they stoped making them.

http://thewilloftheforce.webs.com/

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 07:14 AM
DarthLazious is currently offline Click here to Send DarthLazious a Private Message Find more posts by DarthLazious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

gosh, dvds? there's even a lotta stuff around here that still sells VCDs because they're significantly cheaper than dvds - even more so blu-rays, and blu-rays aren't that used much here in my country, so yeah, i don't think dvds are gonna die soon.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 04:57 PM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

DVD will not lose until PC starts using Blu Ray. The Prices also have to drop. The Majority of people try to buy what's cheaper. There aren't many people who can fully utilize Blu Ray.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 05:01 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Blu-Ray will hopefully become more mainstream in 2010 and onwards, someone mentioned VHS to DVD was mind blowing, but with an HD TV, watching a blu-ray movie is VHS-DVD tenfold imo. But it's tricky certain movies from back in the early 90's and older dont all benefit so much from blu ray. But movies like TDK, Incredible Hulk, and Star Wars (new once) where the recording cameras were top notch the scaling becomes much better and Blu-Ray just dominates. I watched Die Hard 1 on blu-ray and it was rubbish, it was just like watching a regular DVD movie which was upscaled, then I agree that blu-ray is only fairly good, but high production movies look so sweet that I dont even want to go back to DVD's (almost)

Anyway the PS 3's have an upscaler (I think most Blu Ray players do) and when you play a DVD in it, it becomes MUCH better then if you played the same movie in your regular DVD player, I'd say it's close to 720p quality, not quite but it's not far from it so you may still keep your dvd's around. Blu-Ray is more for movies that emphesias on good photography, effects, and just in general look good. I couldint really care less if I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on DVD or Blu-Ray, but if I had to watch The Good, Bad and the Ugly, I'd not pass up the chacne to see it on Blu Ray, that movie is so beautifully shot, just amazing, and luckily some cameras that they used a couple decades ago were really good. I saw 2001 a Space Odyssey a coulpe weeks ago and it was breathtaking.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 04:31 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

I agree with you bluseteel new movies will look amazing and old ones not so good. I still think its too early for blu ray to take over Dvd.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 06:46 PM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old ones can still look AMAZING, you only need to watch The Red Shoes to see, looks sublime on blu ray.

quote:
Anyway the PS 3's have an upscaler (I think most Blu Ray players do)

All blu ray players upscale I believe.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2010 07:23 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

and i thought you didn't like blu ray roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 6th, 2010 12:12 PM
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

As I just said in the other thread, I have a DVD collection, but I have stopped adding to it. I still rent DVDs, but instead of spending about $30+ per month on buying DVDs, I only spend about $3 a month renting DVDs. If others are slowing with buying movies, DVDs are going to go down fast.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 07:49 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Doubt it.

Standalone BluRay players are still relatively expensive in most countries outside the US.

In times like these, people will stick to what they have.. and that is their old, reliable DVD player.

Maybe when the global economy finally recovers, and prices go down, people will have the purchasing power to buy BluRay players.

But for now, it really isn't a necessity imho..

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:14 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

you can buy a Blu ray player for £100 in the UK

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 06:06 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

We're half way the year....so any big changes you guys notice? I've notice one at my local Fry's Electronics. When you enter the store the first thing you see is a PS3 playing Blu-ray movies. Most of the main titles for DVD have been move back to end of the isle and now Blu-ray have taken their place.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2010 05:30 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nope, shops here DVD is still the main % of the shop floor with a section section for blu rays.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2010 04:04 PM
Deano

blue ray is a con. stupid whores the lot of em!

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2010 05:33 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

F*ck Blu-ray.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 03:18 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I think it may go to Blue ray but as long as they have normal DVDs out I don't care and I think the blue ray is the same as a normal DVD anyway.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 03:20 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

BLU-ray, and they're not the same as dvd, but you can play dvds on a blu ray player. The blu ray player will also upscale your dvds to a quality that will look closer to blu ray quality/sharper.

It's hardly a con when you can buy most blu ray new releases at the same price of dvd new releases if you look around.

You just need to put in the blu ray of Avatar to see the difference in quality. Anyone who says there is no difference either doesn't have the right television, lying and talking out of their arse or needs glasses. smile

Saying that, I still buy dvds also.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 04:06 PM