KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Sentry vs Superman

Sentry vs Superman
Started by: r0nm0n88

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (117): « First ... « 105 106 [107] 108 109 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carver9

Edit

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 03:28 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

I'm still wondering why do people think showing Sentry being reduced to atoms [and regenerating, sure] is somehow...something that proves Superman wouldn't beat him.

Is there need for evidence of Superman's heat vision making atomic-level destruction?

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 06:46 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
I'm still wondering why do people think showing Sentry being reduced to atoms [and regenerating, sure] is somehow...something that proves Superman wouldn't beat him.

Is there need for evidence of Superman's heat vision making atomic-level destruction?

I'm still wondering why you keep leaving out the context to Sentry being in that state.

It's almost as if you're misconstruing a statement to improve Superman's stature...

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 06:49 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
I'm still wondering why you keep leaving out the context to Sentry being in that state.

It's almost as if you're misconstruing a statement to improve Superman's stature...
Well, once he was 'killed' in Siege and thrown inside the sun, as revealed in Uncanny Avengers, he wasn't actually dead - but in a perpetual state of 'regeneration' vs Sun's destruction, was he not? Rebuilding himself, only to be destroyed again. The Void grew bored of the cycle of destruction/rebuilding, so he left [for the White Room], and Sentry got pulled out of the sun by the two 'angels'.

Point is - he can't really tank the sun on pure durability, and there's two showings proving just that. His regeneration is insane, sure - but, if anything, Sentry fans should go as far away as possible from Sentry being reduced to an atom by the Sun [even if he regenerates from it] - when he's facing a guy whose heat vision makes the sun look like a firecracker and wouldn't leave an atom standing.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 07:29 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Well, once he was 'killed' in Siege and thrown inside the sun, as revealed in Uncanny Avengers, he wasn't actually dead - but in a perpetual state of 'regeneration' vs Sun's destruction, was he not? Rebuilding himself, only to be destroyed again. The Void grew bored of the cycle of destruction/rebuilding, so he left [for the White Room], and Sentry got pulled out of the sun by the two 'angels'.

Point is - he can't really tank the sun on pure durability, and there's two showings proving just that. His regeneration is insane, sure - but, if anything, Sentry fans should go as far away as possible from Sentry being reduced to an atom by the Sun [even if he regenerates from it] - when he's facing a guy whose heat vision makes the sun look like a firecracker and wouldn't leave an atom standing.

Here is how I interpreted what happened.

When Sentry died Thor carried him to the Sun. As we know from the time Thor traveled there he didn't try to return to life as he knew the Void would take over.

Then as he is in the Sun he begins regenerating now I think that it was the Void who was trying to get Sentry to regrow again (like he did the time he said Sentry didn't want it enough).

But this time Sentry's will obviously was much stronger to die. So what happened in the Sun was the Void trying to assume control so Sentry would heal and Sentry would wish himself to death so the atom would be burnt down.

Eventually the Void saw it as pointless and left. Probably as he knew Sentry's will this time was far too great.

As he says.

"From an atom I was regrown, regrown to be burnt down again and again until my curse was lifted, the Void left me bored of the cycle"

The curse that Sentry had was the Void killing Loki. It's an analogy to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. By winning the battle the curse was lifted and then the Apocalypse twins revived him. As he says.

"But gloriously free of the entirety and sadness of my failure I am reborn"

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 07:41 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Here is how I interpreted what happened.

When Sentry died Thor carried him to the Sun. As we know from the time Thor traveled there he didn't try to return to life as he knew the Void would take over.

Then as he is in the Sun he begins regenerating now I think that it was the Void who was trying to get Sentry to regrow again (like he did the time he said Sentry didn't want it enough).

But this time Sentry's will obviously was much stronger to die. So what happened in the Sun was the Void trying to assume control so Sentry would heal and Sentry would wish himself to death so the atom would be burnt down.

Eventually the Void saw it as pointless and left. Probably as he knew Sentry's will this time was far too great.

As he says.

"From an atom I was regrown, regrown to be burnt down again and again until my curse was lifted, the Void left me bored of the cycle"

The curse that Sentry had was the Void killing Loki. It's an analogy to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. By winning the battle the curse was lifted and then the Apocalypse twins revived him. As he says.

"But gloriously free of the entirety and sadness of my failure I am reborn"
I'm willing to agree that the regeneration part being a struggle between Void and Sentry is a valid theory - Void was trying to get back together while Sentry was stopping the regeneration - but the fact of the matter remains that the Sun was still able to burn him to an atom.

Another question would be that, as you said, Void left. Bob was now free of the 'evil' inside of him - so why was he still inside the sun and the twins needed to come there and pull him out? If recovering was so easy, then he should have been peachy as soon as Void left - but he was still there, and the twins still managed to make him their horseman [that easily?].

Sentry wouldn't stop his regeneration against Superman, sure - but the durability part is still there.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 07:52 PM
Philosophía

I've just noticed another important fact - in Dark Avengers [the other instance where Sentry interacted with the sun], he was not actually inside of it, but somewhere arounds its surface. [scan will be posted, if necessary]

That might explain why regenerating there is easier, than inside of it [where he was after Siege, and why he had such a hard time there].

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 07:58 PM
One_Angry_Scot
----

I'm willing to agree that the regeneration part being a struggle between Void and Sentry is a valid theory - Void was trying to get back together while Sentry was stopping the regeneration - but the fact of the matter remains that the Sun was still able to burn him to an atom.

Another question would be that, as you said, Void left. Bob was now free of the 'evil' inside of him - so why was he still inside the sun and the twins needed to come there and pull him out? If recovering was so easy, then he should have been peachy as soon as Void left - but he was still there, and the twins still managed to make him their horseman [that easily?].

Sentry wouldn't stop his regeneration against Superman, sure - but the durability part is still there.

The thing is don't forget Sentry had nothing on him. Just a skeleton. I disagree with the sun burning the atom, while the Sun could do so what we have to remember is the atom probably first started growing after the Void started to return. Sentry instantly detected what was happening and allowed himself (or as much as an atom can be) to be burnt down again. So I don't think it was entirely the Sun. The Sun was kind of permitted to burn the atom by Sentry in a way.

He was cleansed of his evil and here is what I generally think

Sentry stayed dead as he now had no outside influence trying to keep him alive regardless of whether he was cleaned he still probably saw himself as a danger to humanity. So he chose to stay dead.

Or alternatively (which I believe less likely the twins retrieved him instantaneously.)

With him making them their horseman first they revived Sentry using the Life Seed which just revives people. But they then used the Death Seed. Which actually made Sentry not follow the twins plans entirely and gave him a "clear vision".

Don't forget the Evil was trying to restore him Sentry didn't want to return. Once the evil is gone he could rest in peace.

Last edited by One_Angry_Scot on Sep 15th, 2014 at 08:05 PM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 08:02 PM
tkitna

He has flown through a sun without harm so it's all a moot point. He was being dismantled by the sun because he wanted to and let his defenses down. It's not hard.

By Stoic

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 08:08 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

The thing is don't forget Sentry had nothing on him. Just a skeleton. I disagree with the sun burning the atom, while the Sun could do so what we have to remember is the atom probably first started growing after the Void started to return. Sentry instantly detected what was happening and allowed himself (or as much as an atom can be) to be burnt down again. So I don't think it was entirely the Sun. The Sun was kind of permitted to burn the atom by Sentry in a way.
Of course, the atom started growing due to Void wanting to regenerate - that's the struggle, actually, Sentry not wanting to come back, while the Void was the opposite [or at least, that's the current theory - which I somewhat agree]. But that doesn't deny the fact that the Sun is still capable of burning him to an atom [until he starts regenerating again] - which isn't something to brag about.

Sentry stayed dead as he now had no outside influence trying to keep him alive regardless of whether he was cleaned he still probably saw himself as a danger to humanity. So he chose to stay dead.
He couldn't have been dead, because the Horsemen wouldn't have found anything to convert into one of the horsemen - this time, there was nothing stopping that atom [i.e. the Void] from being burned, too, if he really wanted to die.

There was no reason for him to see himself as a danger to humanity at this point, either. The Void - the literal and metaphorical evil part of him, was gone.

Or alternatively (which I believe less likely the twins retrieved him instantaneously.)
Unless future stories reveal that they're the ones that separated the Void from the Sentry, sent the Void into the white room, and immediately retrieved Sentry from the sun, that's highly unlikely, yes.

Last edited by Philosophía on Sep 15th, 2014 at 08:17 PM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 08:13 PM
tkitna

Originally posted by krisblaze
Taking your ball and leaving, with a pout?

There's no reason why you can't debate Sentry from 2009 vs preboot Superman.

A debate implies that you'd be willing to agree on something, and actually came here with the willingness to find common ground.

It seems like you can't even agree on the sensibility of not attributing something without clear limits with infinity...

I'm not the one that started crying and ran with my handkerchief to the mods for a ruling for cripes sake. Is that a common practice for you?

And speaking of a debate, you brought nothing to this one. All you did was whine that current Sentry couldn't be used because it wasn't fair and shouted that the OP specified the Sentry in 2009 (Which just happened to be when he started the thread. I couldn't find anywhere where he said to use that days Sentry and none other for the remainder of the thread.)

By Stoic

Last edited by tkitna on Sep 16th, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 12:11 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Rao Kal El
That is why you didn't want to BZ Superman vs Sentry?
Because according to you is the other way around?

CLASSIC Quan laughing

AGAIN Superman feats shit all over Sentry's and We can BZ it if you want, but I know your answer.

RAO : 101

Quan: 0

And don't try to act clueless
You don't get to ignore the complete character and focus on the bad showings. It is the entire character such as the Sentry and the Void as they are the same person. Now these toe fight in character. The marvel character is on another level in terms of pure power against the Kryptonian. Man up and accept already.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 12:44 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Originally posted by quanchi112
You don't get to ignore the complete character and focus on the bad showings.

LOL at the level of hypocrisy, didn't you smash your fingers while typing that? Aren't you the guy who constantly ignores all of Superboy Prime's showings and only bring his LAST fight with the Titans?

It is the entire character such as the Sentry and the Void as they are the same person. Now these toe fight in character. The marvel character is on another level in terms of pure power against the Kryptonian. Man up and accept already.

There is a reason why 95% of the board does not even takes you seriously.

You issue the challenge and you backed down, what are you yapping about now?

And what do you mean by "these TOE"? laughing

And if you feel so "secure" about it, I already told you Superman feats shit all over sentry's you want to BZ?

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 02:12 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iceman24567

Superman wins

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 02:27 PM
iceman24567 is currently offline Click here to Send iceman24567 a Private Message Find more posts by iceman24567 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

LOL at the level of hypocrisy, didn't you smash your fingers while typing that? Aren't you the guy who constantly ignores all of Superboy Prime's showings and only bring his LAST fight with the Titans?

There is a reason why 95% of the board does not even takes you seriously.

You issue the challenge and you backed down, what are you yapping about now?

And what do you mean by "these TOE"? laughing

And if you feel so "secure" about it, I already told you Superman feats shit all over sentry's you want to BZ?
I do not ignore any of his showings. I don't ignore the Superboy scarring of him. I don't ignore the Guardian physically overpowering him. I don't ignore the fact he shrugged off Mordru's blasts due to them being inherently magical.

I issued a straight up challenge and you tried to ignore the character as a whole and just focus on hey look at what happened here when he was agoraphobic, etc.

No, they don't but you are not interested in the character as a whole just hey look at all these Superman feats. The guy is in a new comic practically every hour but that doesn't mean let's ignore his other showings. You want a battle where they don't fight so you can ignore the bad showings. Typical.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 02:29 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by tkitna
I'm not the one that started crying and ran with my handkerchief to the mods for a ruling for cripes sake. Is that a common practice for you?

And speaking of a debate, you brought nothing to this one. All you did was whine that current Sentry couldn't be used because it wasn't fair and shouted that the OP specified the Sentry in 2009 (Which just happened to be when he started the thread. I couldn't find anywhere where he said to use that days Sentry and none other for the remainder of the thread.)

You don't understand.

He didn't specify the current version, he doesn't have to.

We always default to the current incarnation of the character. Current feats count up until the point where the character changes. Like getting the Death Seed planted in them, losing their magical hammer, losing 20 years of their life....etc

Those are the rules and that's the point of getting a ruling smile

Thanks Estacado

Last edited by krisblaze on Sep 16th, 2014 at 02:33 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 02:30 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bbrem123

Sentry still wins...Spite

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 03:09 PM
bbrem123 is currently offline Click here to Send bbrem123 a Private Message Find more posts by bbrem123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

I do not ignore any of his showings. I don't ignore the Superboy scarring of him. I don't ignore the Guardian physically overpowering him. I don't ignore the fact he shrugged off Mordru's blasts due to them being inherently magical.

I issued a straight up challenge and you tried to ignore the character as a whole and just focus on hey look at what happened here when he was agoraphobic, etc.

No, they don't but you are not interested in the character as a whole just hey look at all these Superman feats. The guy is in a new comic practically every hour but that doesn't mean let's ignore his other showings. You want a battle where they don't fight so you can ignore the bad showings. Typical.

Yes you do, stop lying.

The only thing in which you are consistent is on your whining, which you are doing pretty much again.

"Superman is in a new comic every hour, he has a ton of feats"

When ever I will bring a low feat for Sentry, you will cry "low balling" ignoring he has a mental condition that makes him mentally unstable IN CHARACTER!!!

lol at your level of hypocrisy AGAIN

So you want to do his "in character" you claim that you only argue in character, so?

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 03:30 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Yes you do, stop lying.

The only thing in which you are consistent is on your whining, which you are doing pretty much again.

"Superman is in a new comic every hour, he has a ton of feats"

When ever I will bring a low feat for Sentry, you will cry "low balling" ignoring he has a mental condition that makes him mentally unstable IN CHARACTER!!!

lol at your level of hypocrisy AGAIN

So you want to do his "in character" you claim that you only argue in character, so?
No, I don't I accept all showings.

There is no such thing as low balling or high balling. There are only facts. Get on my level, curr.

Sentry/Void vs. Superman in a fight. Quit backing down.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 11:00 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by iceman24567
Superman wins

Old Post Sep 16th, 2014 11:01 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote